Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / If you were going to teach someone 5 songs on guitar what would they be...
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 8:11 pm

I'm teaching guitar at a "girls rock" camp next month and am planning on doing one song a day... My idea is to do it "chronologically" and then on Friday doing a song to teach rudimentary solo-ing.
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 8:17 pm

louie louie
all day and all of the night
satisfaction
blitzkreig bop
stairway to heaven
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 8:24 pm

stairway to heaven

lez zepplin
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 8:29 pm

I'm teaching guitar at a "girls rock" camp next month and am planning on doing one song a day... My idea is to do it "chronologically" and then on Friday doing a song to teach rudimentary solo-ing.
Good luck. Someone taught men louie louie and after 6 weeks I still couldn't get it right.
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 8:34 pm

bazook, you're pretty dead on of what I had in mind... cept I was trying to avoid Satisfaction... i guess that might be manditory though.
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 8:37 pm

Breakin the Law! Breakin The Law!
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 8:39 pm

I'm tellin' you - something by Chuck Berry!
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 8:41 pm

little black egg
psychotic reaction
beethoven's fifth
maybelline
canyons of your mind
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 8:42 pm

I figure if girls are into the ROCK they'll get enough ACDC, Motorhead, Maiden etc. on their own...I'm not going to contribute to it so maybe I should go with at least one "obscurity"
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 8:43 pm

i was figuring on chuck berry for the "solo" day seeing as that is the only type of solo i can halfway play anyway
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 8:44 pm

wild thing
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 8:45 pm

bazook, you're pretty dead on of what I had in mind... cept I was trying to avoid Satisfaction... i guess that might be manditory though.

switch out satisfaction with day tripper.
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 8:54 pm

I'm teaching guitar at a "girls rock" camp next month

Abigail is going to that.
They wouldn't let me go.
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 8:56 pm

oh, and you should do something like Cherry Bomb, or some other obvious girl song.
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 8:58 pm

the first side of yngwie & rising force's "marching out"
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 9:10 pm

Gloria
Steppin' Stone
Rave On
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 9:13 pm

wild thing

that is louie louie
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 9:29 pm

"House of the Rising Sun" because its got most of your basic chords, good basic picking technique and the song never ends.
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 9:30 pm

"House of the Rising Sun"

that is Puff The Magic Dragon
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 9:31 pm

little girls like "Love Shack" but I don't know if that's a guitar song.
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 9:36 pm

THE LOVE SHACK WAS CLOSED.
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 9:37 pm

I'm teaching guitar at a "girls rock"

shouldn't you learn how to play guitar first?
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 9:41 pm

So is it wrong to only teach songs that I want to? I mean, when i 12 and took lessons my guitar teacher gladly taught me Punk Rock Girl when it was very clear he would have much rather taught me Dazed and Confused... Are there "ethics" to this kind of thing? I think I might go with the "YOU'LL LEARN MY GENERATION AND LIKE IT!" school
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 9:41 pm

I just gave YOU advice and wasn't sarcastic asshole!!!
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 9:45 pm

teach them the chord progression to "Be My Baby"

all those minor 7th chords sound great
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 9:46 pm

I just gave YOU advice and wasn't sarcastic asshole!!!

joking, yo! teach them "hate the police".
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 9:46 pm

Louie Louie
Wild Thing
Hang on Sloopy
That's What I Like About You
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 10:23 pm

We're doing our Rock Camp this week (and last week). Here's our set list:

Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress
Green Manalishi
Jack the Ripper
For your Love
Evil Ways
Pipeline
Mommy's Little Monster
Suffragette City
Can't Explain
Bad Motor Scooter
Loose
You're Gonna Miss Me
Ballroom Blitz
Strange Brew

16 kids aged 9-16. some complete beginners. Don't dumb it down. Make them play harder material than you think they can handle. kids can do extraordinary things if you don't limit them.
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 10:57 pm

All Tomorrow's Parties -VU
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 10:57 pm

Shit, I'm donating an old Fender practice amp to the Girls Rock Camp, but I keep forgetting to email them back and set up a time to drop it off.
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 11:04 pm

I have mixed feelings about the "girls rock" thing. Is affirmative action really needed in Rock and roll?
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 11:09 pm

You guys are naming almost all of the songs I taught myself when beginning guitar.
Louie Louie
Wild Thing
Satisfaction
Blitzkreig bop
Gloria
Steppin Stone

and last night I taught myself "Sonic Reducer" in like 2 minutes without even trying.
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 11:12 pm

"Rumble" is always a great starting song to learn as well.
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 11:43 pm

smoke on the water
wild thing
street fighting (wo)man
"let's do the hunch" or some sort of one chord song where they get to play and stop and scream
Blew My Cool!
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 12:19 am

I think Bo Diddley might work for one of the earlier songs. "Here's what a bar chord looks like..." Then the rhythm of the strum while you hang on that one (or two or three) chord(s).

Can't go wrong with "(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone," either!
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 12:26 am

oh, and you should do something like Cherry Bomb

I'm thinking more along the lines of "Cherry Pie"
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 5:19 am | Edited by: LisaLisa

I have mixed feelings about the "girls rock" thing. Is affirmative action really needed in Rock and roll?

yeah, it's kinda a slippery slope, Bill was like "I was kind of surprised when you said you'd do it seeing as you hate "girls in rock" but ultimatley if I can save just one girl from terrible music...welll... i've done my job.

and also after going to the orientation and seeing the (shall we say) interesting ways WOMEN feel like they need to "inspire" girls to play music...my work is cut out for me as I don't really feel like I need to spend time "painting pictures with words" as one guitar instructor advised us to focus one of our lessons on.

oh boy.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 5:33 am

propane propane
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 5:40 am

my band played for the one here in town and then went to see the ending show and was fairly impressed
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 7:29 am

My guitar teacher when I was a youngin' taught me the use of the pentatonic scale with Rumble by Link Wray then next was Pipeline.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 7:31 am

Whoops, someone beat me to the punch. Teach them Peter Gunn.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 8:04 am

Baby Please Don't Go
Mannish Boy
Train Kept A'Rollin
Whole Lotta Love
Walk This Way
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 8:12 am

I emailed the one up here twice and they never wrote back...I suck.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 12:52 pm

but ultimatley if I can save just one girl from terrible music...welll... i've done my job.

Coming from an obvious punk background, I was surprised when I was approached to teach "classic" rock. But, like you said, if I can be an influence to a kid who otherwise wouldn't know the bad brains, or Link Wray for that matter, then I've succeeded.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 12:53 pm

Hey brad, was it you who posted the how to play guitar jpeg a year or so ago? It was a diagram that had all the basic info for starting out: barre chords, open chords, etc.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 3:08 pm

Teach them this song.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 4:37 pm

Teach them "Emerald" by Thin Lizzy it's got everything you need to know to learn how to be a badass lead guitarist.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 5:03 pm

The past couple of days the ten year old and I have been working on "La La Birdie" by the Golden Boys.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 5:18 pm

WIPEOUT
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 5:51 pm

Paranoid
Iron Man
War Pigs
Sweet Leaf
N.I.B.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®