Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Guitar Setup (Help)
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 3:26 pm

I have a Univox Hi Flier that is in bad need of a setup. Unfortunately, as I'm in the process of moving, I have neither the money nor time to take it into a shop. The high e keeps breaking, one time immediately after been strung and tuned. Any tips?
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 3:46 pm

The high e keeps breaking

Does it break at the bridge? If so, the most common cause is a burr on the saddle piece.
File it.
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 4:23 pm

Drop it to D.
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 5:07 pm

Does it break at the bridge? If so, the most common cause is a burr on the saddle piece.
File it.

Yes, it keeps breaking at the bridge. Thanks for the tip...I'll check it out when I get home and see if there is any sort of sharp protrusion.
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 5:24 pm

also, you might want to rub some graphite(from a pencil) on the saddle. that will help the strings not break so much.
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 7:18 pm

I wouldn't file it, I would use really fine sandpaper.
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 7:57 pm

When filing anything metal on a guitar, be sure and cover up your pickups. I use painter's blue masking tape to cover them completely. Otherwise, little metal shavings may get stuck to your pickups because of the magnets. Doesn't hurt anything but it's annoying to look at and tedious to get off.
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 7:59 pm

I wouldn't file it, I would use really fine sandpaper.

Or steal wool... 0000
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 9:19 pm

awesome, thanks guys
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 9:24 pm

the past couple months I've also had a tough time getting 'er to stay in tune, specifically the three highest strings...any suggestions for a quick fix?
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 9:27 pm

Get on the internet or find some one who knows how and learn how to intone the guitar...very important
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 10:27 pm

Get on the internet or find some one who knows how and learn how to intone the guitar...very important

Get an accurate tuner and check the intonation. At the 12th fret, the open note, the fretted note and the harmonic should all be in agreement. It also has a lot to do with how you string your guitar. Most people don't know how to properly put on a string. If you don't do it correctly, it will never stay in tune.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®