Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Golden Boys Rule
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 2:16 am

This is easily the best record I've heard since "Let It Bloom." I started drinking vodka and tossed this fucker on and I'm so happy to say that it's the most "musical" rec i've heard in a long time. Perfect all the way through. Really fucking trippy and songs out the ass. I had no idea they were capable of being so "good." I don't listen to much modern shit anymore so I don't know how valid this assesment is. Also, for some weird reason, cuz I do'
nt know their music at all, but would this be worshipped by Neutral Milk Hotel Fans?? I'm drunk as shit.
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 3:01 am

badong!
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 3:22 am

I'm drunk as shit.

I tole you Tuesday was the new Friday!
PARTY!
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 4:13 am

you're werne't lyin' gay bill!

PUUUUUUUUKE!!!
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 4:45 am

Posted: Jul 18, 2007 4:54 am

wow! we played at spaceland? jeez i must have been deeeerrr'uunkukknk
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 4:57 am

Man, I love the Golden Boys! Arguably the best band in Austin these days. The new album is awesome. Not that Side 2 isn't great, but I've just been listening to Side 1 over and over again. For the doubters, get drunk, throw on the new record, and see the light!
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 5:01 am

wow! we played at spaceland? jeez i must have been deeeerrr'uunkukknk

Oh Man, I have the footage where one of the guys thinks his amp shorted out and for about 10 minutes he's fishing around through his cords and fx boxes.... He starts asking if he can borrow an amp... Matt sings a Hank Williams song... You get up from your drums.... finally it turns out that he bumped the standby by accident!!! You yell to Matt, "He's done this more than once!" It's priceless!
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 5:18 am

yep, I bet that was wesley coleman. youknow his grandpa was a boot maker for Nakona! shit, I miss the g-boys. I miss you to estephan
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 5:22 am

Love those guys. They can do laundry & watch Family Guy at my place anytime!
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 6:17 am

i done told you last week! i listened to it for days... kinda scared of it now.

Wes' song on side 2 that explodes via trumpet is kinda my "big eyed beans from venus" right now.

good work, dudes.
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 2:58 pm

estephan

it's adorable when you call him estephan.

the horns on this record are sooooo cooooool.
hookorcrook
Posted: Jul 18, 2007 8:06 pm

i can't tell you how many people have told me just in the last week that this lp is changing their world or blowing their mind or whatever. I listened to it for 3 weeks straight when I first got the recordings and drank whiskey all night and missed work a lot. Seems like it is catching on just in the last week after taking a month or 2 to get out there, but yeah, buy it please, it totally rules:
http://www.hookorcrook.com and Goner and Florida's Dying will have more in stock in the next week.
Posted: Aug 2, 2007 6:34 pm

Sun., 7/29 Secret Head Quarters Denton, TX

Tue., 7/31 Muphy's Memphis, TN

Wed., 8/1 Star Bar Atlanta, GA

Thurs., 8/2 Map Room Charleston, SC

Fri., 8/3 James Joyce Irish Pub Durham, NC

Sat., 8/4 The Grey Eagle Ashville, NC

Sun., 8/5 Travel Day Philadelphia, PA

Mon., 8/6 Knitting Factory New York, NY

Tue., 8/7 Lesco Bar Montreal, Quebec

Wed., 8/8 PA's Lounge Somerville, MA

Thur., 8/9 Jimmy's Seaside Bar Stamford, CT

Fri., 8/10 Music Gym Boston, MA

Sat., 8/11 Supreme Trading Williamsburg, Brooklyn

Sun., 8/12 Carabar Columbus, OH
Posted: Aug 2, 2007 6:36 pm

i heard no one went to the atl show last night. losers.
Posted: Aug 2, 2007 6:37 pm

i've actually listened to this record more than once, and i even had the same opinion on it each time!
Posted: Aug 2, 2007 6:43 pm

man, they killed me here, still gotta clean up the beer cans on the deck
Posted: Aug 2, 2007 7:03 pm

the atl show was booked at a place that's kinda out of the radar (that is, we don't normally check the calandar at this place and don't hear about shows unless there's a local on the bill) and the show was poorly/not advertised. i was reminded of it yesterday afternoon (by sherry) and tried to get a posse together but it was too late, everyone already had plans.
Posted: Aug 2, 2007 7:27 pm

I need this.
Posted: Aug 2, 2007 7:28 pm

hell yeah you do. it's beeeeeautiful.
Posted: Aug 3, 2007 12:51 am

Musta been the golden showers sayin so...cause I didn't say so.

But I did get a text earlier from Matt (Strange drummer) that said "met tons of the friendliest people ever at a party, ATL is the shit!" -- so that's goooood! Yay!

Wished I wouldda letcha know earlier...but they had fun!
Posted: Aug 3, 2007 5:06 am

When Greg Ashley was last in town, he was telling me how critical the new record is... I was going to wait & get one from the band when they are in town.
Posted: Aug 3, 2007 6:28 am

ahha, meant to say something on the other thread too much music, you said something like unless the bands stays with me... i just got golden boys, strange boys and spider bags in the last week, my wife may kill me, but i only fell down the stairs twice
Posted: Aug 3, 2007 6:35 am

I got a couple of G.B. records on the way. I got some old soul records to tide me over until then...
Posted: Aug 4, 2007 12:59 am

Say, this record IS good!
Posted: Aug 4, 2007 1:16 am

it's sublime, really.
Posted: Aug 4, 2007 1:59 pm

My mum loves it just from hearing me sing it. My mum rules!
Posted: Aug 6, 2007 10:12 pm

Golden Boys LIVE on WFMU Sat!!!
Posted: Oct 2, 2007 7:42 pm

la la birdie! Remember Georgia! and i still have like 8 more songs to listen to....this is so great so far!
Posted: Oct 3, 2007 1:26 pm

It's one of those kind of albums that has been getting consistent play 'round here since it came out...and things like that have become more rare as the years have gone on BUT this year there's been actually been a couple of record like that (them other couple being the Cheater Slicks and the new GnL record)
Posted: Oct 3, 2007 4:34 pm

how can one secure "whiskey flower" on LP?

am i outta luck?
Posted: Oct 3, 2007 4:40 pm

i saw a copy at goner over the weekend - maybe they still have it (?), but i saw that thurs night and i'm sure it was picked up before the weekend was over....i ordered the cd direct from hook or crook - 3 cds for $15 deal, yo!
hookorcrook
Posted: Oct 3, 2007 7:18 pm | Edited by: hookorcrook

how can one secure "whiskey flower" on LP?

am i outta luck?

if you scroll down about 2 inches there's a banner below that's been flashing with a link to the hook or crook site for about the last 10 months.

and yeah, 3 CDs for $15, get em while they're not hot!
Posted: Oct 3, 2007 7:36 pm | Edited by: Stephanie

when i went to order this from you guys, the site said you were out of the LP.
hookorcrook
Posted: Oct 4, 2007 12:56 am

nope, it said we're out of the BLACK vinyl LP, not the colored one which is still available on the site.

Also still available and approximately how many I have left:

Haunted George "Panther Howl" color LP: 9
Hank IV color LP + CD : 30
Golden boys "whiskey flower" color LP: 50
Haunted George color LP + CD: 50

I will have these available in the next 3 weeks:

*The Lamps - Tim Ford 7" (B-side is cover of Drunks With Guns' "Cowboy")
*Haunted George / Hex Dispensers split 7" (each covering the other & the originals of Pile O Meat and Forest Ray Colson)
*The Better Beatles - "Mercy Beat" LP. Complete recordings of early 80s band from Nebraska with liners/interview by Jay Hinman, read about them here:
http://crudcrud.blogspot.com/2005/12/better-is-best.html
http://www.duckworthsquare.com/frankosonic/frankosonic/2006/08/better- beatles.html
Posted: Oct 4, 2007 8:35 am

Thanks for the heads up. I've got too much on my plate & I'm poor as a rat right now, but I gettin' somma this stuff is mandatory!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®