Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / marc bolans millions
Posted: Jul 16, 2007 5:43 am

n the early Seventies, Marc Bolan and his band T Rex became the biggest pop phenomena in Britain since the Beatles. They sold millions of records, notching 10 top five UK singles, including Hot Love, Get It On and Telegram Sam, all of which made number one.

But by the end of 1977, Bolan's success had ended in tragedy. On the morning of 16th September, just two weeks short of his 30th birthday, Bolan's purple Mini crashed into a tree on Putney Common, South London, killing him and badly injuring his partner, Gloria Jones, who had been driving.

Within hours of Bolan's death, his flat had been broken into and his papers, letters and receipts stolen. Rumours abounded of lost wills and missing fortunes but Bolan's two year old son, Rolan, and Gloria Jones saw nothing of Bolan's supposed riches. Despite T Rex having sold 39 million records, Bolan's estate was worth just 10,000.
Two of the original T. Rex line-up are alive, impoverished and wondering who's getting the money from record sales. Drummer Bill Legend, now 53, unemployed and living in Essex, southeast England, says: "Money would be a great help to me. It's unfair. I'd love to do something for my kids. The T.Rex phenomenon has expanded. It's a megabucks industry now. Marc's made more money since his death than when alive."

Percussionist Mickey Finn, 50, was left pounds $16,300 in the will, but the money took years to come through. A chronic asthmatic and, like Legend, unemployed, Finn says: "I never got any performing royalties. It's a mystery. A bloody mystery."

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=marc+bolans+millions&searc h= 8 part documentary
Posted: Jul 16, 2007 6:28 am

"he could be violent
he could be violent
but he never abused me...
very little"
marc's "companion"
i think someone stole the money or everyone did because he was an asshole.
Posted: Jul 16, 2007 9:06 am

This post is somewhat dated. Mickey Finn died at the beginning of 2003. Will Legend ,though still alive, is well into his 60's.
Posted: Jul 16, 2007 3:26 pm

yeah, still an interesting documentary though
Posted: Jul 16, 2007 9:46 pm

because i make music documentaries and license footage and music, i can tell you that if you want to use marc bolan's compositions, you go through his mother who is his executrix and who GIVES THE RIGHTS AWAY FOR FREE. that's why there is no money.

i think the only entity that makes money is who ever owns the masters to those recordings.
Posted: Jul 16, 2007 11:33 pm

whatever money there was probably went up his nose or on his collection of guitars someone stole the day after he died.
Posted: Sep 14, 2007 8:32 pm

30 years this Saturday since he died. Any tribute nights going on in Gonerland this weekend?
Posted: Sep 14, 2007 8:36 pm

I meant Sunday. The 16th
Posted: Sep 14, 2007 8:37 pm

The 30 years still stands.
Posted: Sep 16, 2007 7:21 pm

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®