Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / tiki men/recording an instro band question
Posted: Jul 14, 2007 12:55 am | Edited by: bay area slasher

ok, so i'm in an instrumental band and we play a really weird mix of stuff. garage, big beat, surf, western, etc.
Every time i listen to this record i get a boner for how it was recorded.

i want my bands recordings to be in this range, so anyone know what the set up was? it sounds mostly live and def. all tape, but it's one of the loudest/hottest lo-fi recordings i've heard!

also, our bass player plays an upright, and i struggle to get a really good sound out of his bass on tape... any tips? do you any of you guys record your own shit?
i know brad does. what kind of shit are you guys using?
Posted: Jul 14, 2007 6:15 am

the tiki men album i'm talking about is 12 dusty diamonds... i forgot to mention that.
Posted: Jul 14, 2007 6:52 am

microphones tape and eq
youre welcome.
Posted: Jul 15, 2007 12:55 am

I'm not familiar w/ the Tiki Boys record. Try and get a good, balanced sound from your instruments. The way you want to hear it on tape should be what you're hearing from the band in the room. Close micing will pick up detail, kind of like a close up in a movie. Room mics can help a lot, they act like glue in getting the individual sounds to coalesce. I like getting some distance from the sound source and compressing.

Last week I hauled my 4 track to a gig and set up 2 mics going into separate compressor/ preamps. All of the stuff is pretty cheap, nothing fancy. The 4track is a Yamaha and it has dbx. I recorded with the dbx on and mixed the 2 tracks down to mono with the dbx off. Taking the dbx off really helps it to sound alive. I was pretty happy with how it came out. I didn't have any time to fuck around w/ mic placement, just set one mic up on stage and one in close enough to the pa to catch the vocals. Then I crossed my fingers. Mixed it to garageband on the computer. You can hear it here:
http://myspace.com/heyheyitstheunderthings

I'm psyched to do more recording this way soon.
Posted: Jul 15, 2007 1:15 am

when i do live recordings with my 4 track i leave the dbx off and bring a set of headphones and mix on the fly. i put a mic on either side of the drums about halfway between them and the amps and another pair near the front of the stage on the left and right. then while the band plays i monitor the mix through headphones and make adjustments to the eq and levels as needed.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®