Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Ever have one of those weeks where you listen to the same songs over and over?
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 5:48 am

This week (actually, this month, come to think of it) it's:

Mockingbird - Aretha Franklin
Baby I Owe You Something Good - Funkadelic
TCB or TYA - Bobby Patterson
Out in the Streets - Shangri-Las
I Just Wasn't Made for These Times - Beach Boys
We Can Work It Out - Stevie Wonder
The Wait - The Pretenders
The Real Nitty Gritty - Shirley Ellis
Poor & Weird - The Briefs
Gossip Gossip - Diamond Joe
Left Your Door Unlocked - Harlan T Bobo
So Long, Marianne - Leonard COhen

I keep going back and listening to the same stuff over and over. Anyone else stuck in repeat?
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 6:00 am

why, yes. moi.
of all the playlists i have on my itunes, this is the eclectic one i listen to on repeat:

Caroline No The Beach Boys
Don't Forget to Remember The Bee Gees
Lonesome Day Blues Bob Dylan
Ode to Billie Joe Bobbie Gentry
Needles in the Camel's Eye Brian Eno
Brown-Eyed Handsome Man Chuck Berry
Rock & Roll Nurse The Compulsive Gamblers
Get It While You Can The Dirtbombs
I Can't Stop Thinking About It The Dirtbombs
Flashcube Jack O & the Tearjerkers
Black Boots Jack Oblivian
Tired Of Waiting For You The Kinks
Who'll Be The Next In Line The Kinks
See My Friends The Kinks
Live The Life Oblivians
Waitress in the Sky The Replacements
Left of the Dial The Replacements
Bring It on Home Sonny Boy Williamson
Bad Luck Charm Stiv Bators
It's Cold Outside (45 Version) Stiv Bators
No Fun The Stooges
Bang a Gong T.Rex
Friction Television
Keeping Me Alive Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
Ways to Be Wicked Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
A Certain Girl The Yardbirds
No Matter What Badfinger
For You Blue The Beatles
September Gurls Big Star
Fucked Up Heart The Black & Whites
I Hate the Rich Dils
Class War Dils
stop Harlan T. Bobo
and then it starts all over again....
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 6:03 am

Needles in the Camel's Eye Brian Eno

I need this song. Come to think of it, I need the whole Here Come the Warm Jets album, as I only have it on cassette, and I no longer have a cassette player.

Friction Television

Was thinking of covering this, but decided there wasn't a point to doing so
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 6:11 am | Edited by: queenothetwist

I've had the "Duchess and the Duke" myspace page open and have been listening to their song on repeat over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

And over.
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 6:12 am

i will email you an mp3 of needle in the camel's eye this evening.
i had an extra copy of here come the warm jets but sent it to a deserving and appreciative music lover

i don't have a working cassette player either!

the church covered friction on their box of birds covers record. tom verlaine taught marty willson piper how to play that during an overnight drive on a tour bus from washington cd to nyc. i wish i had a tape of it. the conversation that is...it was hysterical. anyway... they covered it faithfully and there is no doubly no point in doing so.... because the church is television for girls anyway.

so.... how were you planning on spitting out that line "complain about my dick--shun" anyway???

(forgive us goners, for this conversation we should be having on the phone...)
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 6:12 am

hi liz! you snuck in there...
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 6:32 am

I'm sneaky. It's what I do.
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 6:47 am

i keep listening to early 80s hardcore bands no milk today, dischords, actives, black market baby, bad brains, uhhh also the germs controllers salvation army, i dunno but its been the same list every night for 3 or 4 days now
the highlight is probably the new final solutions backwards song order
or the functional blackouts best on the monkees
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 6:50 am

THEE SONG i keep listening to over and over right now is definetely
U LIED nice inept and obscure punk from '84
http://belasana.com/songs/NMOT/U%20Lied.mp3
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 8:34 am

"Westford Cemetary" by Cheater Slicks. That record has found it's way on the turntable & if not for a stack of 45s that I absolutely have to get through, it would not have left my turntable. As it is, that tune is seriously stuck in my head.
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 9:37 am

I've been listening to "Caguama Rama" by Slab City for weeks, Ernie sent me the mp3's of their upcoming singles. After that it was "Dead Beat" by Cheater Slicks. And the last few weeks I've been listening mostly to the new album of Miss Alex White on In The Red, Space & Time.
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 12:49 pm

The rotation in my head for a couple days has been "Pogo Pogo," Roy Head's "Apple of my Eye" and Homer doing "Spider Pig."
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 6:59 pm

"Pogo Pogo,"

plastic bertrand?
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 7:08 pm | Edited by: Vinyl Ritchie

The Reds "You're In , Kid"
The Guerillas "Lawdy Rolla"
Larry Williams and Johnny Watson w/ Kalidescope "Nobody"
The Sweet "The Juicer"
Wool "Love Love Love Love Love"
The Jury "Who Dat?"

oh yeah and that 25 minute version of "Dazed and Confused" on that "How the west was won" CD set
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 7:10 pm

ditto on that Duchess & Duke song. Damn.

"Honaloochie Boogie" - Mott the Hoople

and this mother here
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 7:12 pm

"Come All Ye" fairport convention

The entire The Outfield "Play Deep" LP

Fleetwood Mac all over the place

R. Kelly and Usher "Same Girl" cos it is so played out all over the place

Soulsonic Force "Renegades of Funk"
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 7:13 pm

The entire The Outfield "Play Deep" LP

fuck the haters. this is tight.
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 7:17 pm

hope - descendants
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 7:24 pm

fuck the haters. this is tight.

A summertime must. Just like any Blue Oyster Cult record is...but different.
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 7:45 pm

"Hallelujah, I'm a Bum"- Harry McClintock
"Come On Madeline" Pezband
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 7:50 pm

"Come On Madeline" Pezband

this just made me think of come on ilene... great now that's stuck in my head
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 7:54 pm

flashcube- jack o
half past france- john cale
back in the ring- persuaders
baby lightning- death ray
on some faraway beach- brian eno
nigger rich- oblivians
i need somebody- stooges
nowhere is my home- replacements

actually quite a few of the same bands Theresa has listed.
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 7:58 pm

hello it's me nazz
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 7:59 pm

i just got a copy of Big Star "Nobody Can Dance" lp and got stuck on September Gurls even though it's July
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 8:04 pm

"Hallelujah, I'm a Bum"- Harry McClintock

Totally.
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 8:04 pm

Is this the same song as the semi-hit by Lone Justice? If so, who covered who and how does Petty's version compare to the LJ version?
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 8:13 pm

I'd Rather You Leave Me - Choir
A Lady's Man - Volcanos
Sound of Urchin/The Diamond (whole album)
Book of Love - Fleetwood Mac
mix CD of various scary 70s stuff that got played during Tuesday's road trip
How Does It Feel - Illusion
Mixed Up Shook Up Girl - Patty & the Emblems
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 8:36 pm

plastic bertrand?

Yeah, when he was in Hubble Bubble. Spider pig, spider pig...
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 11:43 pm

Is this the same song as the semi-hit by Lone Justice? If so, who covered who and how does Petty's version compare to the LJ version?

yes - petty wrote it. this is the demo version. petty's version KICKS ASS
i'll send it to you if you want...
Posted: Jul 14, 2007 12:09 am

on some faraway beach- brian eno

i love this track. when i DJ, this is the song i end the night with
Posted: Jul 14, 2007 3:27 am

"spend the night alone" by the manikins has got me at the moment.
Posted: Jul 14, 2007 3:50 am

I listened to "Down in Flames" by Frankenstein like 100 times yesterday.

And I've been listening to this for about a half hour.

It isn't nearly as good but it is almost as infectious.
Does anyone know where they're sampling the 'hiphop' scratch from?
Posted: Jul 14, 2007 3:50 am

Ever have one of those weeks where you listen to the same songs over and over?

no
Posted: Jul 14, 2007 3:52 am

I listened to "Down in Flames" by Frankenstein like 100 times yesterday.

excellent!
Posted: Jul 14, 2007 4:01 am

excellent!
I think it has to be the definitive version.

I was also listening to "Breakdown" by the Buzzcocks and "Video Prick" by Deep Wound, over and over this week.

Oh and as many versions as I could find of "Na na na Hey Hey Goodbye", Acid Mothers Temple does a great 10 minute cover.
Posted: Jul 15, 2007 8:52 am

TCB or TYA - Bobby Patterson

He played this tonight! Backing band (Scott Bomar with a bunch of amazing dudes) ROCKED!

I was going nuts when the song started. I LOVE that song.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 3:52 am

"The Walk" b/w "I'm to Blame"--Jimmy McCracklin...
Posted: Jul 21, 2007 3:34 pm

I don't think Memphis Treet's been out of the CD player since the the day I got it.
Posted: Jul 21, 2007 5:38 pm

i can't stop listening to the jibbs "king kong in my trunk" song. it's so stupid that i have to love it. also, "jamskate" has been on heavy rotation. so has the didjits' "headless" and the stones "let's spend the night together" and the clean "tally ho!" as always. i have been listening to the new harlan cd a lil bit now too. :)
Posted: Jul 21, 2007 5:47 pm

I just got the Boredoms "Super Roots 3"..it is just one 30 minute "song" of this thrash riff and drum beat that changes ever so slighty every 5 minutes or so. I cant get enough of it, i think its brilliant. I have listened to it over and over and over and over this past week. I heart the Boredoms.
Posted: Jul 21, 2007 11:37 pm

Clarence Carter's version of Mother-in-Law!
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 5:54 pm | Edited by: Stephanie

"don't slander me" by roky erickson....overandoverandoverandover

(post for "songs want covered and by who" - Mystery Girls should cover this)
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 4:40 pm

"don't slander me" by roky erickson....overandoverandoverandover

I LOVE THIS SONG!!!!!!!!!!! It was on repeat for years, until I wore out the cassette tape. I need this.
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 5:33 pm

i listened to it a half an hour straight on saturday!! driving out to the brewers game...god, that song is so great!
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 6:50 pm

"River of Tears"b/w"It's Time to Settle Down"--Gene Chandler
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 8:02 pm

another one lately is "Join the Order" by Goodnight Loving. It's on their new alb coming out in Sep..whenever i listen to to this alb, i have to play "Join the Order" like 5 times in a row....muswell's paranoid anthem..so fucking good. (note: biased opinion)
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 11:15 pm

Homer doing "Spider Pig."

I heard this on the radio when I went to lunch today and it's been stuck in my head since.
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 12:03 am

I've had to listen to Wreckless Eric's 'Take the Cash' at least twice a day for two weeks
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 3:02 pm

Neil Michael Haggerty/ Howling Hex - "If You Can't Tell The Difference, Why Pay Less?"

Toots & the Maytals - "5446 Was My Number"
Posted: Nov 2, 2007 3:50 pm

Posted: Nov 2, 2007 4:13 pm

Lyme and Cybelle Follow Me
Norwegian Wood
Posted: Nov 2, 2007 6:54 pm

Yesterday I listened to "I'm Set Free" many times, then I started to listen to it played slower and it had even more force.
Posted: Nov 2, 2007 7:23 pm | Edited by: gore

"never wanna see you again" by the golden boys has been on repeat along with the rest of that record, for the last 3 weeks
Posted: Nov 2, 2007 7:50 pm

I've got a compilation cd I made of my favorite Wreckless Eric tracks that has been in my car's cd changer for about 8 months and because I hate all the other cd's that have also been in there about that long, I listen to this almost all the time when I drive. I never get sick of it.

This morning as I drove to work I was singing along with Birthday Blues, which is a fantastic song.
http://www.wrecklesseric.com/birthday_blues.htm

Although, it could just as easily have been this.
http://www.wrecklesseric.com/joe_meek.htm
Posted: Nov 2, 2007 8:16 pm

Fire works, "Gimme Another Shot"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Nov 2, 2007 9:53 pm

in the past 2 weeks i think i\'ve listened to the Sonic Chicken 4 LP about 43 times
Posted: Nov 2, 2007 11:30 pm

I've got a compilation cd I made of my favorite Wreckless Eric tracks that has been in my car's cd changer for about 8 months and because I hate all the other cd's that have also been in there about that long, I listen to this almost all the time when I drive. I never get sick of it.

Yeah, it really pisses me off that you never let me listen to that Petra Haden cd that comes on after Wreckless Eric, you're a total fascist!
Posted: Nov 2, 2007 11:32 pm

just kidding. would it really be so hard to just take that heinous a cappella shit out of the cd changer? seriously.
Posted: Nov 3, 2007 12:19 am

n the past 2 weeks i think i\'ve listened to the Sonic Chicken 4 LP about 43 times
UGH, just got it two nights ago in chicago at their show but am stuck in a fucking hotel room till the 16th. I'm seriously thinking about buying a cheap ass player just to have in my room.
Posted: Nov 3, 2007 2:40 am

just kidding. would it really be so hard to just take that heinous a cappella shit out of the cd changer? seriously.

I don't know what it is about cd changers that make them so hard to change. It seems even worse when you've got cd's in there that you didn't even choose in the first place, but the answer to your question is I'm either a) too lazy b) a sadist c) a masochist or d) actually really secretly love Petra Haden's a cappella bollox.
Posted: Nov 3, 2007 6:48 pm

Has anyone bought the "God in the Garage" "comp"? I've played "Fugitive from God" over and over and and over and over. It's so retarded it's genius. Sinister in its infectious catchiness.

"You were never meant to walk the path that you trod/How long will you run away, a fugitive from God?"

Awesome liner notes, too.
Posted: Nov 3, 2007 9:46 pm

The Nomads - Fire and Brimstone has 138 plays on my iPod.

No other song has yet broken 100.

The Friggs - Bad Word for a Good Thing is closing in at 97, and
The Detroit Cobras - Hey Sailor with 96.

Of course, those numbers are over the lifetime of my iPod.

-----

Recent songs topping my playlist include:

The Mooney Suzuki - Shake That Bush Again
The Dirtbombs - Stop
T.Rex - Buick Mackane
Johnny Cash - The Devil's Right Hand
Johnny Cash - Cocaine Blues
The Kills - Love is a Deserter
Ghetto Ways - Steal the Peel
Nomads - Real Gone Lover
Iggy Pop - I'm Bored
Link Wray - Switchblade
The Compulsive Gamblers - I'm That Guy
Nick Cave - Red Right Hand
The Flamin' Groovies - Slow Death
The White Stripes - Rag & Bone
Turpentime Brothers - Love's Gone Bad
Mr. Airplane Man - Commit a Crime
The Gun Club - She's Like Heroin to Me
Posted: Nov 4, 2007 1:56 am

the past few days i've spent in the goner store, john prevents me from working by always but always playing the oblivians soul food album. its downright cruel because that's the ONE album i don't have on my itunes or on my portable player; i just have No Reason to Live... so i listen to it over and over and over.

not that there's anything wrong with that
Posted: Nov 4, 2007 1:59 am

its one of my favorite lps. good all the way through, except maybe the DC5 cover.
Posted: Nov 4, 2007 2:14 am

I have "The Land of 1000 Bars" on replay in my head, and have for the last 4 weeks at least. It's gotten to the point where I am humming/singing along to it at inopportune moments where people have asked me "what was that?....what are you saying?". I usually just say "I can't go home anymore". My coworkers just look at me funny and walk away.
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 9:30 am

Out in the Streets - Shangri-Las
listened to this song 2x 2 weeks ago
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 6:11 pm

The Gun Club - She's Like Heroin to Me

Absolutely love that song, as well as Secret Fires- sometimes I go weeks on end with either of those songs on a permanent loop inside my head.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®