Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Jul 9, 2007 5:41 pm

This is still a music forum, right?
You guys still listen to music, right?

Aside from a Calvin Johnson thread that has like 40 replies(??)

HOW COME NO ONE'S TALKING ABOUT THE FREE BOREDOMS 77 DRUMMERS SHOW THIS PAST SATURDAY AT THE PARK?!?!?!?!

How come no one's talking about how talking about it only undermines
THE
GREATEST
EVENT
ANYWHERE
EVER
OF
ALL
TIME
INCLUDING
(maybe)
THE
GENESIS
OF
THE
HEAVENS
AND
ALL
WITHIN
IT

Keep your rock gods, Boredoms blew it all apart that day

Every bit of it.
Posted: Jul 9, 2007 5:47 pm

goddamnit. i read the article in the times the other day and was so pissed i was outta town. i bet that shit was gone, huh?
Posted: Jul 9, 2007 6:29 pm

Boredoms blew it all apart that day

While I don't disbelieve you or your testimony, the Neckbones played that same day and I doubt they could be blown apart by anyone but themselves.
Posted: Jul 9, 2007 6:32 pm

(it should be noted that I was at neither event, so I am an out-of-ass-talker, although that doesn't make this any different than any other time I type something.)
Posted: Jul 9, 2007 6:32 pm

It was incredible.

Indeed.
Posted: Jul 9, 2007 7:15 pm

It was incredible.

Indeed.

I didn't even know about this until later that night. Crap. So, it was under the bridge, right? Details, please.
Posted: Jul 9, 2007 9:10 pm

How come no one's talking about how talking about it only undermines

you must be high on somthin
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 6:39 pm

would have loved to have seen that but IT'S STILL A DRUM CIRCLE, PEOPLE!
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 7:23 pm

it was so awesome. the slow cymbal washes into pounding drums were amazing and the first freeform section blew me away. still reeling. drum circle or not, it was so great to be there.

it was amazing to see the stilt dancer in the back too
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 7:35 pm

slow cymbal washes

ahhhhh, so you were shrooming!
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 8:35 pm

stilt dancer

oh fuck, burning man already????
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 10:00 pm

haha! everyone there had to be hallucinating after waiting in that fucking line for hours. i got there at 1:45 and camped out all day in the sun. i definitely saw one wasted kid bleeding heavily out-the-nose, spitting his blood all over the grass where people were sitting. kid couldn't figure out what was wrong with him. one of the most pathetic/depressing things i've seen since king khan at the goner shop

total burning man! this chick on stilts was dancing in the back and people kept running through the crowd to go dance with her. there were hundreds of kids over there minutes later.
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 10:04 pm | Edited by: jblundell

seriously though, imagine the spiral formation with all drumming cues being passed outward until the last (outer) drummer was doing the same thing as the first (inner) drummer. some point in the middle one sound starts cancelling out the other until there is just one drummer (brian chippendale, number 77) crashing a cymbal while everyone else pounds the toms. then as he switches to the floor tom the whole thing starts over, changes back to cymbals, or just goes fucking nuts. i wish i could have heard it from the center of the circle.
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 10:11 pm

most pathetic/depressing things i've seen since king khan at the goner shop

crypt? that was a pretty bad scene.
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 10:57 pm

there was something similar in chicago by way of "psychedelic steve's guitarcestra" something like 30 people droning and noddling on and around 'E'. it blew my mind.
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 11:15 pm

whoops, yeah i meant the crypt shop! sorry about that, i must have been trippin' balls...
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 11:46 pm

whoops, yeah i meant the crypt shop! sorry about that, i must have been trippin' balls...

what happened at the crypt shop? that was the daytime bbq a while back?
Posted: Jul 11, 2007 6:23 am

lets just say it was a funny show. the only time i've seen KKBBQ perform anywhere below spectacular.
Posted: Jul 11, 2007 2:52 pm

the only time i've seen KKBBQ perform anywhere below spectacular.

he didn't even get to "perform!"
Posted: Jul 11, 2007 4:26 pm

wait a minute. i was at the crypt shindig and that show was spectacular. perhaps not for um, musicianship, but definitely for showmanship!
Posted: Jul 11, 2007 4:38 pm

i'll agree with that. i know i couldn't stop laughing!
Posted: Jul 11, 2007 7:43 pm

That was one of the funniest shows I have ever seen. Straight up Abbot and Costello. Plus, doing lines during a set should not be considered, uh, uncouth?
Posted: Jul 11, 2007 7:50 pm

quiet, mr. ick.
Posted: Jul 11, 2007 8:03 pm

Stop reading my posts out loud then.
Posted: Jul 12, 2007 2:37 am

ahh, KK doing the KING LOUIE? one night at murphy's, and i swear a v. young jeffrey novak's eyes just about flew out of his head.

re:777- damn, i had no idea this show was going on.

any performance involving BOREDOMS, KID MILLIONS, and LIGHTNING BOLT DRUMMER is amazing. straight up.

awesome. how did they cue everybody on changes?
Posted: Jul 12, 2007 12:00 pm

kid millions is the tim duncan of rock.
Posted: Jul 12, 2007 3:23 pm

what, excellent but boring? unstoppable yet unassuming? from the virgin islands, yet not a fan of fruity drinks?
Posted: Jul 12, 2007 3:36 pm

KID MILLIONS

I first heard him in the mid-'90s when he was playing in a free jazz trio (sax/gtr/drms) called Mishagas. He was very impressive back then, too. You ever heard their CD, Eric? It's a nice one.
Posted: Jul 12, 2007 4:27 pm

what, excellent but boring? unstoppable yet unassuming? from the virgin islands, yet not a fan of fruity drinks?

ha! those are good.

the quiet, strong, dedicated leader that makes you swoon. geeky and cute to boot!
Posted: Jul 12, 2007 6:35 pm | Edited by: flesheater99

More good shots here including a good look at the 'guitar fence' eYe was playing at a volume that is still incomprehensible...striking all 7 at once with colored sticks-pink-blue-etc- (and a 5 foot silver trident!!) which I'm pretty sure was a means of orchestrating. Colored sticks to denote certain changes/actions.

I have NEVER heard anything like what I heard this past saturday.

It was like Steve Reich meets Terry Riley meets the Boredoms(with 77 terribly proficient drummers[doi!]) on uppers, downers, in-betweeners, and amplifiers on steroids to the tune of a gorgeous sun-drenched green grass summer day.

Everyone I have talked to who was there and everything I have read about it since (obsessively checking blogs and anything peripherally related) uses the same language to describe it>>perfect, incredible, best show ever, best day ever, best event ever, changed the way you feel about your city, changed the way you feel about music, changed the way you feel about those around you...and hokey as it seems it was all of that--and if you didn't think it was THE best (and you know it was) you were still blown away away away.

At the bottom of this page there's a full list of the other drummers involved.
Posted: Jul 12, 2007 7:35 pm

None of this shit sounds even half as cool as some dude making horsey noises with a coconut.
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 10:09 pm

YOu're absolutely correct!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®