Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Pre Code Hollywood
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 10:23 pm

C'mon folks--give up some names I can put on the old Netflix queue...

(Thanks Twilley--I know you have more to suggest)
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 10:58 pm

Posted: Jul 6, 2007 11:29 pm

Illicit
Ecstasy
I am a fugitive from a chain gang
freaks
scarface
baby face
riptide
thin man
indiscreet
public enemy
bitter tea
women
roaring twenties

marxes

A Night at the Opera (
Duck Soup
Horse Feathers
Monkey Business
Animal Crackers

dvorak

Gentlemen Are Born
Side Streets
Midnight Alibi
Heat Lightning
Massacre

astaire

Shall We Dance
Swing Time
Top Hat
The Gay Divorcee

marlene

The Devil Is a Woman
The Scarlet Empress
Blonde Venus
Shanghai Express
Dishonored
Morocco
The Blue Angel

mae

Goin' to Town
Belle of the Nineties
I'm No Angel
She Done Him Wrong

wc

It's a Gift
The Old Fashioned Way
If I Had a Million
Million Dollar Legs
Posted: Jul 7, 2007 12:28 am

Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933) is a good pre-code Hollywood movie with some racy jokes in it. One of the first feature films done in color. It's an extra on the DVD of the 1953 House of Wax with Vincent Price which is also worth watching if you haven't seen it. Hell, rent the Paris Hilton version of HOW from 2005 and you can have a Wax Museum triple feature...

Images of wax that throbbed with human passion! Almost woman....what did they lack?...
Posted: Jul 7, 2007 12:30 am

public enemy

A have a cat named "Putty Nose"

That's one of the best movies ever made...

"I wish, I wish, I wish you was a wishin' well so I could drop a bucket in ya and sink you!"
Posted: Jul 7, 2007 1:42 am | Edited by: saispas

Was "Public Enemy" the Cagney film where he shoved the grapefruit in his gal's face????

I DVR several movies a week on TCM. Some are quite old; D.O.A. is on tonight, which isn't precode, but a great noir film that I have yet to see. But some great stuff comes on at 4am often. That is where I got Three on a Match. I am about to watch Bill of Divorcement...seen that one?
Posted: Jul 7, 2007 1:45 am

Oh and Thin Man was watched a couple of weeks back in a 1920's gorgeous theater here, The Tampa Theatre. They were serving beer and then I got annihilated on cocktails next door; we were all inspired. That movie is great.
Posted: Jul 7, 2007 2:01 am

re thin man

someone much smarter than i said nick and nora are the only happily married couple in american lit

doa is OK; the remake is horrid though. and yes grapefruit is there. check yr maiul tomorrow madame Know Nothing
Posted: Jul 7, 2007 2:08 am

I am convinced we have a drunk mailman--hope everything gets here. We are waiting an awful long time for a very important package from PDX.

My fave part was when she asks him how many martinis he has had and then asks the bartender to line up 6 martinis so she can catch up with him. True love.
Posted: Jul 7, 2007 3:09 pm

DOA has a great scene at the Fisherman Bar where some crazy band [and keee-razy hopheads in the audience] is playing. Best line: "Leave me alone man, I'm being enlightened."
Posted: Jul 7, 2007 4:31 pm

DOA has a great scene at the Fisherman Bar

The horn player is named "The Fisherman" and all the proto-beatnik jazz fans are yelling, "GO! FISHERMAN! GO!" with big goofy smiles on their face, many shot with extreme dutch tilt angles.... There's also this wacky comic sound effect that happens from time to time in that movie that is out of place; like a "BBeeewwwWWUP!" or "BBOOooiNG!"

Many years ago in Mississippi I dropped acid at an all day party and was the last man standing at 3:30 in the morning. I was still tripping hard and I turned on the TV. The local channel was playing "DOA" and "PICK UP" back to back. It made for a great drug experience. Good times!

Was "Public Enemy" the Cagney film where he shoved the grapefruit in his gal's face????
That's right after he says this line:
"I wish, I wish, I wish you was a wishin' well so I could drop a bucket in ya and sink you!"
Posted: Jul 7, 2007 4:36 pm

Am I the only one here that like silent movies? Hot tip: There's some very cool ones. The more you watch, the more you get used to the pacing and style and the more you get into them. It's like 20's country, blues or jazz in that way.
Posted: Jul 7, 2007 4:52 pm

TCM also plays some great silents, but typically only one or two a week.
Posted: Jul 8, 2007 7:23 pm

"Tarzan and his Mate", and the first Weismueller Tarzan, the code started because of Maureen O'Sullivan (fox!) nude swimming and jungle bikini. Their might have been vhs series called "forbidden hollywood" thats what the copy of "three on a match" at the memphis library had on it.
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 5:20 am

Posted: Jul 10, 2007 5:25 am

Bray!

Braay@!
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 5:31 am

Maureen O'Sullivan (fox!) nude swimming
Body double ,I'm sorry to relate.
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 2:31 pm

Body double ,I'm sorry to relate.

of course, but she did run around in a jungle bikini.
Also the 1931 version of Maltese Falcon is good, doesn't have Bogey or Peter Lorre but it is faithful to the sleaze of the book, the femme fatal is way hotter than Mary Astor.
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 2:43 pm

Posted: Jul 10, 2007 9:27 pm

Silent Film Festival in SF this weekend at the Castro Theater!!!

http://www.silentfilm.org/

at those prices we'll see one ....

also, there's this local critic, wrote a big book about pre-code films:
Complicated Women: Sex and Power in Pre-Code Hollywood (Paperback)
by Mick LaSalle (Author)
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®