Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Sly Stone in San Jose July 7?
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 5:43 am

Great article from Vanity Fair.

Sly rules. "Spaced Cowboy" off of There's A Riot Going 0n. Soul Yodel!

Supposedly playing saturday in San Jose? anyone going?
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 5:58 am

He also needs an assistant. Bay Area goners, stand up!

http://www.fistfulayen.com/blog/?p=99
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 8:36 pm

I may be a fool, but I'm going. I wonder if Sly has actually cleaned up, or is he just the Shane McGowan of coke?

I bought the 7-CD set, which is great except that Hot Fun in the Summertime, Thank You Falettinme, and Everybody is a Star aren't on it because they were only singles. Cheap bastards could've included them as bonus tracks, but I guess they want us to buy Greatest Hits all over again too.
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 8:39 pm

nothing would make me happier than to see this dude pull through and start making some great music again. one of my all-time faves.
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 8:46 pm

Cynthia Robinson and Rose Stone are in the band and there's speculation that other original members might show up.
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 10:24 pm

wow, SJ gig a well-kept secret in these parts ... I've heard all kinds of things about Sly, that he's back, that he's still wack, etc.

I also heard he lost his chops but you always hear that. I'd think you'd have to actually see an entire show to know if he's OK.

One thing I have been hearing a lot about recently is just how influential the guy was -- from his DJ days, to producing/arranging/A&R, to finally becoming a star in his own right.

So I guess the time is right for a ... COMEBACK!!!!
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 10:41 pm

Sly Stone

oops...I thought this was the LOVE thread.
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 10:46 pm

Posted: Jul 8, 2007 9:03 pm

Sly & The Family Stone are the shit bar none.

Now if they would all get together for a reunion that would be as they say in the hood "da bomb"
Posted: Jul 9, 2007 12:37 am

That article made me a little misty eyed. Anyone else?

Sly Stone

oops...I thought this was the LOVE thread.

Hell yeah. LOVE!!!!!!!! Possibly my all time favorite. Ever.

It would be so great if they get it together and TOUR. Oh, hell yeah.
Posted: Jul 9, 2007 1:15 am

finnark... report?
Posted: Jul 9, 2007 4:18 pm

i read the vanity fair article yesterday on a plane. great read. i can't believe nobody i know saw him when he played vegas. losers.
Posted: Jul 9, 2007 5:06 pm

from a YouTube comment:
I just saw Sly perform last night in San Jose. He is nothing like this video, I'm not happy to report. He was slot, hunchbacked, lacking confidence, and probably paranoid. On the other hand, his voice was in excellent shape. He sang 2.5 songs and walked off the stage! Oh well, that's better than the 2 minutes he did at the 2006 Grammys.
Posted: Jul 9, 2007 5:22 pm

i loved the grammys bit... woulda probably loved the 2.5 songs in san jose. ah well.
Posted: Jul 9, 2007 8:56 pm

Yep, he looked a little rough...kinda hunched over, dressed all in white with a white cap and shades. The band opened with about 4 songs, sounding excellent. Cynthia Robinson recreated her vocal bits and trumpet solos perfectly. He sang Family Affair and If You Want Me to Stay, then kinda wandered around the stage while the band played Sing A Simple Song and I Want to Take You Higher, then it was over. His voice was ragged but basically there - a few more shows and he should sound really good.

Somewhat bizarrely, as we were walking out Sly came back to the stage and said something like, "The only reason I had to stop playing - was because of the COPS!" The whole show was running two hours late so it was probably more the promoters' fault.

The other bands were the Latin Sensations with members of Malo, El Chicano, and Tierra with Jorge Santana on guitar. Great stuff. Also Average White Band, so it was a fun day all around. To sum it up, I'm glad I saw him but it wasn't a Roky Erickson comeback story.
Posted: Jul 9, 2007 9:15 pm

so did he play that little park downtown in front of the Fairmont? I spent about 6 months in that hotel in 2003-04. I wish something as cool as a Sly show, however brief, would have gone down while I was there.
Posted: Jul 9, 2007 10:01 pm

nigga crazy. and i luv it.
Posted: Jul 9, 2007 11:17 pm

man i am praying for this to all be good news
Posted: Jul 9, 2007 11:30 pm

No, this was down Santa Clara St. by the HP Pavilion.

The day after I moved here in 2001 Toots & the Maytals played a free show at the park across from the Fairmont. A nice welcome!
Posted: Jul 9, 2007 11:46 pm

wow, definitely. I saw Morris day & the Time in the lobby at the Fairmont while I was staying there, but didn't get to see them play. Caught the Wierdos at that one downtown venue while I was there. (Blank Club?)
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 12:14 am

that Sly Stone YouTube footage is totally awesome.

check out the one listed as "Rehearsals 1970" in the sidebar - totally smokin' as well!
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 1:01 am

Bad News (maybe)

http://www.mercurynews.com/search/ci_6328422

Sly Stone shows up, goes nowhere fast in San Jose concert

'On Saturday, people were dying for a mere glimpse of Stone. And that's about all they got. After waiting till nearly 9 p.m. - at a show scheduled to end at 8 - fans saw Stone shuffle out in an oversized white hoody, a white baseball cap, dark shades, gold chains and baggy jeans to join a Family Stone that features one original member, trumpeter Cynthia Robinson. As at last year's Grammys, he was stooped and wearing a neck brace, but this time he wasn't sporting a gigantic press-on Mohawk.

Stone sat behind a keyboard for a while, lent his vocals to "If You Want Me to Stay" and "Sing a Simple Song," then exited the stage before "I Want to Take You Higher" wrapped up. Total time on stage? About 15 minutes."
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 1:30 am

I saw Morris day & the Time in the lobby at the Fairmont while I was staying there, but didn't get to see them play

I am truly saddened I never saw this band in their prime. I saw Rick James and Prince, but I think that The Time would have been a total party on a level not like those two...though Rick James was totally insane.
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 5:08 pm

a total party on a level

Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis oughta have an entire musical genre named after them

I wonder what happened to Jerome? I saw Morris Day a few years ago but no Jerome.
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 5:19 pm

I wonder what happened to Jerome? I saw Morris Day a few years ago but no Jerome.

Bo Diddley Syndrome.
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 5:24 pm

i heard morris day was hanging out with his good friend michael bolton?
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 8:14 pm

HA!
Posted: Jul 11, 2007 9:46 am

hanging out
where - in rehab?

picked up a comp of Sly Stone's mid 60s productions
lot's of northern soul numbers, it's on Ace
Posted: Jul 11, 2007 2:56 pm

picked up a comp of Sly Stone's mid 60s productions
lot's of northern soul numbers, it's on Ace

i haven't heard any of his productions for Autumn except for this great mid 60's single i have that's actually 100% Sly's business called "I Just Learned How To Swim" which was his attempt at cashing in on Bobby Freeman's "C'Mon and Swim" which Sly himself co-wrote.
Posted: Jul 11, 2007 4:00 pm

i think i need to hear this.
Posted: Jul 11, 2007 5:51 pm

This band once had extraordinary showmanship -- choreography, split-second-timed medleys, extravagant wardrobes -- but the current edition seemed more like a tribute band than a new model of the old standard. Sly himself was almost not there. A vocalist who was once the missing link between Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder, this time he was hardly audible.

URL
Posted: Jul 11, 2007 5:52 pm

i think i need to hear this.

it's totally bitchin and fast.
Posted: Jul 11, 2007 8:24 pm

Prior to the national break out of Sly & The Family Stone, record producer Sylvester Stewart, also known as Sly, hosted a radio show at KSOL in San Francisco.

He used a deeper, mellow speaking voice, especially later in his on-air career. This voice was a few octaves lower than the familiar sound of his singing.

Always an innovator, Sly pioneered live dedications, and signed off his radio program each night by playing the piano.

According to T. Watts, Sly had a program segment called, "the integration record." This was an affirmative action slot for "white" rock n' rollers every night at 11pm.
Posted: Jul 19, 2007 6:53 pm

Posted: Jul 19, 2007 6:58 pm

I like how in the add for his assisitant one of the requirements is speaks 1-3 languages. I guess Nell need not apply.
Posted: Jul 22, 2007 5:33 am

The comeback tour of US funk star Sly Stone has made an inauspicious start in Europe following several short, disjointed performances by the reclusive 1970s icon.

After spending only 20 minutes on stage at the Montreux Jazz festival in Switzerland last week, the 64-year-old musician performed only four and half songs during his latest gig in the southern French city of Nice.

True to his reputation as an unpredictable, combustible character, he walked off stage after 10 minutes leaving his backing band, known as the Family Stone, to keep the audience entertained.

Half and hour later, the brooding singer, hidden behind big sunglasses and baseball cap, reappeared to sing for another 10 minutes before disappearing for the final time.

Sly and the Family Stone began in 1967 and rose to stardom with their mix of memorable live performances and powerful music, a fusion of funk, gospel, psychedelic rock and acid jazz.

Hits included "Stand!," "Everyday People," and "Family Affair," which still get regular radio playtime 30 years after their emergence.

Starting in the mid-1970s however, Sly Stone, real name Sylvester Stewart, became known as much for his erratic behaviour as for his string of groundbreaking albums.

After suffering from drug addiction, Sly vanished in the mid-1980s and spent almost two decades out of the public eye when no one, even his former bandmates, knew where he was.

He reappeared to great surprise -- sporting a blonde mohican -- for a performance at the Grammys Awards in 2006 before announcing his mini European tour.

But the recent concerts, where Sly has looked weakened by his years of drug abuse and psychological problems, have been a far cry from his explosive displays at Woodstock or the times he shared stages with Jimi Hendrix.

By contrast, the Family Stone backing band has got younger, with only one of the original line up, trumpet player Cynthia Robinson, remaining.

A fan at the Nice Jazz festival, where Sly performed on Thursday, summed up the impression left by the ageing entertainer, who had nonetheless started brightly with a rendition of hit "If you want me to stay."

"You can tell he's been through a lot," resumed the fan.

The tour, which began at the beginning of the month, has included dates in Italy, Switzerland and France and will travel to Spain and Britain.
Posted: Jul 22, 2007 5:44 am

halveway the song sly walks on stage to jam along on the vocoder after he took a 7 minutes break.
at the end sly walks offstage
and thats it folks!
Posted: Jul 22, 2007 5:48 am | Edited by: the rape ape

Probably the last we´ll ever see from Sly Stone.
This much anticipated concert of Sly and the Family Stone turned out to be somewhat of a disapointment. He was 45 minutes late, leaving his band in complete despair.
The backstage camera showed him, leaving his room with great difficulty.
He came on stage, ducked behind his keyboard, made some screeching noises and then some sound that had a hint of soul. Stood up for a solo that wasn´t going to happen and mumbled something about taking a f*cking break and he promised to be back soon.
His return, 5 minutes later, was against all odds.
This video shows what happened next...
Posted: Jul 22, 2007 5:54 am

haha these recent youtube videos get funnier and funnier
talk about uncomfortable, show your love my ass those people look ready to riot if sly dont get his ass out on that stage...

this ones even pro shot
Posted: Jul 22, 2007 7:08 am | Edited by: the rape ape

Her campaign to reclaim Sly started in earnest with their parents' deaths, which occurred within 18 months of each other—K.C.'s in 2001, Alpha's in 2003. "They both died in my arms," Vet said, "and they both told me, 'Go get your brother.' Independent of each other—not knowing. That kind of stuck with me. And it was more than just physically 'go get him.' It was 'Support him.' So I started going to Los Angeles, maybe sometimes twice a week, to see him. I went and told him what our parents said. He said, 'Find me a house.' And I did."

beautiful.
Posted: Jul 22, 2007 9:24 am

From the Family Stone Band website:

Quote:

PERSONAL ASSISTANT REQUESTED***
- Between the ages of 25 and 40
- Must love music
- Speak 1-3 languages
- Have valid passport
- Able to travel for 30 days or more, European tour
- Must have own reliable transportation
- Bay Area Resident
- Assist Rock & Roll Hall of Famer
- References required. - Send Photo and Resume to mrsalionel@aol.com
***Also, Requesting 2 Female Martial Arts Experts with valid Passports and able to Travel.
Posted: Jul 22, 2007 9:36 am

The post stated that the Blue Note festival organizers may be taking legal action against Sly for appearing late and being on stage for only 20 minutes, with a number of audience members requesting a refund and the festival organizers feeling betrayed that their headlining act appeared for only a few songs. As the poster translated the article, it also had a quote that Sly had to be carried off the stage at Montreux (which could be verified as true or false perhaps by anyone here who was at that gig).

Although I join a number of others on this forum at being encouraged by the footage from the Northsea festival, I'm getting concerned via the above report and a few others that this comeback is, well let's just say not off to a good start (to put it diplomatically). I was already concerned about the jaw-dropping itinerary for this tour: four concerts in four nights in Europe following several decades of almost complete inactivity (not being in performance-shape, jetlag, in his mid-60s, possible health-issues, etc). Another worry was that audiences are not going to be very tolerant about getting their money's worth, particularly nowadays when it basically costs an arm and a leg to attend a concert.
Posted: Jul 22, 2007 10:30 am | Edited by: the rape ape

sly yesterday
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 9:57 pm

Man, what a drag. Apparently they never planned to have him sing more than those three songs. At least it looked like he was kind of trying on the Northsea footage. Someone posted a comment claiming that they were on the tour and that Sly was down the hall in his room smoking crack.
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 11:10 pm

"I'm going for a piss, I'll be right back,"

Looks like I did ok just sitting in the park, listening to the B52's play 'Love Shack'.
Posted: Oct 29, 2007 1:22 am

He's booked to play NYC in December, if anyone wants to gamble $86 on it:

http://www.bbkingblues.com/schedule/moreinfo.cgi?id=4222
Posted: Oct 29, 2007 3:17 am

- Speak 1-3 languages

Well. that eliminates all of us.
Posted: Oct 29, 2007 3:34 am

this is quite a step up from the tour he did earlier this year in that it actually features more of the family stone band. now if he could pull off more than a 12 minute set it might be worthwhile!
Posted: Oct 30, 2007 11:22 pm

I imagine there were quite a few casualties from this era. My old roommate in San Francisco used to play guitar on the streets there and he befriended a homeless guy that we used to see around all the time. Turns out this guy was named Willie Sparks who used to play drums in Graham Central Station (with Larry Graham from the Family Stone) and I think he was on the first couple of Betty Davis records too. Apparently he had some good stories about wild house parties where Sly and Co. used to play back in the early days.

Apparently, he's still around.
http://jjmhandcrafted.blogspot.com/2007/09/newsy.html

He's on this great clip
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®