Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / chestnut beats kobayashi
Posted: Jul 4, 2007 7:04 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2925803

hopped on the F train to check this out in person today out on coney island... pretty great. thousands of people chanting "JO-EY! JO-EY!" and going nuts.
Posted: Jul 4, 2007 7:15 pm

This was a beautiful thing. America represented.

That dude announcing, Richard Shea, is my new favorite sports announcer.

"Is this Curt Schilling-esque...or BETTER THAN CURT SCHILLING?????"

And the priceless "According to Jim" segue? Please tell me someone other than Ryan and I caught that one.
Posted: Jul 4, 2007 7:19 pm

holy shirt!
Posted: Jul 4, 2007 7:20 pm

That shit was intense, yo! Better than the Kentucky Derby!!
Posted: Jul 4, 2007 7:24 pm

December 7th AVENGED!
Posted: Jul 4, 2007 9:04 pm

that was fucking awesome. kobayashi lost fair and square, I don't think the injury or whatever was a factor at all. that was pure american gluttony at its best, and a hell of a competition!!! U! S! A! U! S! A!
Posted: Jul 4, 2007 9:37 pm

tube steak tussle. hee hee
Posted: Jul 4, 2007 9:41 pm

December 7th AVENGED!
Again!
Posted: Jul 4, 2007 10:54 pm

hell yes!
Posted: Jul 4, 2007 11:40 pm

"The Chestnut Shake"

I think that was the best one I have ever seen--wow. Happy 4th America!

We played a brutal game of Badmitton today and beat a Mexican and his girlfriend. Others were inspired and there was a team of Jews versus an Asian team. Team names? Team Ching Chong vs. Team Rabbi! The Asians killed.
Posted: Jul 4, 2007 11:56 pm

Third place this year went to another American, Patrick Bertoletti of Chicago, with 49.

That is my friends brother! Nice!
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 12:04 am

He is the jalapeno pepper AND strawberry shortcake eating champ!
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 12:52 am

they announced that guy patrick is also the shoofly pie eating champ! philly boy roy, eat your heart out.

the nathan's in coney island sells frogs legs, which really freaked me out.
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 5:38 am

i wanted kobayashi to win. mostly because the people next to me that were chanting "JO-EE! JO-EE!..." were terribly annoying. these lame fucks actually had the nerve to boo dick shea in attempts to get him off the stage.

i tried to wait in line for a hotdog and some cheese fries after the contest. a fucking cop ran me over with a barracade!
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 5:56 am

Kobayashi's up chuck was totally bad form. I declare this truth to be self evident: Anyone who eats his own vomit doesn't deserve any accolades.
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 6:55 am

HERE HERE!!!
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 2:39 pm

these lame fucks actually had the nerve to boo dick shea in attempts to get him off the stage.

WHAT? That guy was the most entertaining aspect of the entire thing, at least from the audible POV. He was cracking me up.
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 2:48 pm

totally, the shea brothers are hilarious. the espn play-by-play commentary is not nearly as good. I couldn't believe the size of that crowd, it looked scary. when I went in 2003 and 2004 you could get almost to the front if you showed up an hour ahead of time, now it looks like you gotta camp out there or something.
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 5:40 pm

Kobayashi's up chuck was totally bad form.
the fact that he cups it AND eats it is totally hot and should count double.

Viva LaKobayashi!!!
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 7:14 pm

After it became clear that Kobayashi wasn't gonna win, I was hoping he'd just let loose and puke out all of those hot dogs. There's no second place prize, so if you're gonna lose, why not lose BIG?

Eating the barf dogs at the end was one of the sickest things I've ever seen on TV, but barfing the whole mess would have "kicked it up a notch". It may have induced a chain-reaction barf-o-rama like in the pie eating contest in "Stand By Me."
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 7:17 pm

the espn play-by-play commentary is not nearly as good

Wasn't one of them a Shea? One guy was fucking hilarious, the other typical ESPN moron. This event is now on my Must Do Before I Die list along with a Wimbledon match and deep sea fishing.
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 7:23 pm

Yet another great Shea quote:

Henceforth when you Google "American Heroes'' you'll get back Abraham Lincoln, Neil Armstrong, Taylor Hicks and Joey Chestnut.
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 7:38 pm

The hilarious play-by-play guy and the announcer guy with the straw hat are both Sheas. I think they must be brothers. That announcer rules!
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 8:25 pm

Shea brothers are pretty funny - they were filling in on the Rome show today. In fact, the Jim Rome show is always at its best when Rome is on vacation. Didn't those two do a "weird sports" thing on ESPN, as well?
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 8:28 pm

yeah, they did a hilarious one on the cheerleading nationals making much fun of the owner of the co i work for, it got alot of play when we were down in orlando
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 8:36 pm

yeah, shea is great.
he emcees the regional competitions too.
he was hilarious at the atlanta zoo competition two weeks ago.
introducing dale boone "from the mean mean streets of buckhead".
dale boone sucks, he won in atl with only 21 HDBs in 12 minutes.
and two years ago he puked after carline lefever whooped him, but his intro with the "son of_____, son of____" was pretty funny.

so why wasn't kobayashi disqualified under the reversal of fortune rule??
was it just a matter of force expelling the mess he had in his mouth and not actual regurgitation?
i don't get it.

are cookie jarvis and badlands booker retired now, or did they just not qualify?
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 9:23 pm

I think he didn't get disqualified because the puking happened after the time limit expired. If you puke after the time's up it seems like fair game to me, I'm sure all of those dudes go roman after those contests. I can't imagine what the sodium from 66 hot dogs would do to a person's body if they actually digested that shit.
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 9:24 pm

and yeah, cookie and badlands are retired.. Badlands was actually on some trading spouses show when he made the decision to retire.. he's lost about 100 pounds since then.
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 9:37 pm

I think he didn't get disqualified because the puking happened after the time limit expired. If you puke after the time's up it seems like fair game to me,

that's what i figured, i just thought the spew came before the buzzer.

and yeah, cookie and badlands are retired..

thanks.
i did see cookie onstage before the event throwing stuff out to the crowd.
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 10:10 pm

i just thought the spew came before the buzzer.

Did he actually puke or just spit out the water he had in his mouth? Either way, it looked like a clear violation of the rules.
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 10:26 pm

so wait...if he puked after the buzzer that means he ate his own puke on his own volition and not for the prize money?!
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 10:27 pm

Shea brothers are pretty funny - they were filling in on the Rome show today

OK, I gotta get a podcast of this.
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 10:30 pm

Badlands was actually on some trading spouses show when he made the decision to retire.. he's lost about 100 pounds since then.

The traded spouse was who began the weight loss regimen with Badlands...it was pretty inspiring actually, even though she and her homicide detective husband/manager (she is a pro boxer) are psychotic.
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 8:44 pm

Goddamn! Joey Chestnut, Sly Stone tomorrow...my boring town rules this week!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®