Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Calvin Johnson
Posted: Jul 3, 2007 3:13 pm

Calvin Johnson, formerly of beat happening, is playing ottawa tonight. i'm going to check him out...just wondering if anyone has seen him lately? i have no idea what he's doing musically these days. and most importantly, does he play "Bad Seeds"???
Posted: Jul 3, 2007 3:15 pm

he was in the crypt store a few weeks ago buying records!
Posted: Jul 3, 2007 3:49 pm

I saw him in the dub narcotic outfit about 3 years ago. It was funny and very stupid, not totally awesome, but not a suckfest either.
Posted: Jul 3, 2007 3:51 pm

i still have the first dub narcotic cassette only release. good stuff.
Posted: Jul 3, 2007 4:22 pm

he's playing milwaukee on saturday with goodnight loving. i think it's just him and an acoustic guitar. probably will play some beat happening songs. hopefully!
Posted: Jul 3, 2007 4:24 pm | Edited by: michael baker

i'm not sure what to say re the vibe; i would think his stuff does not suffer from his periodic dislocation or his advancing age. i have not seen for years and i used to love his stuff and dub narcotic's. unless there's a convention of single korean women that night nearby or a putt putt golf tournament or a scrubs mini marathon or sunny skies in ottawa i'd go for sure.
Posted: Jul 3, 2007 4:50 pm

Posted: Jul 3, 2007 4:56 pm

how come dnss started sucking so bad after the first couple singles? and watching calvin's gay dance is painful. AND i think the show you're going to see is him with an acoustic guitar and his fake johnny cash voice. fuck it. stay home.
Posted: Jul 3, 2007 6:07 pm | Edited by: saispas

I thought this thread was going to be an AP newswire re: him being arrested for setting up a rendezvous with a minor from a Make Out Club chatroom. Darn.
Posted: Jul 3, 2007 6:12 pm

i think the ap only does that for "newsworthy" characters.
Posted: Jul 3, 2007 6:15 pm

True true.
Posted: Jul 3, 2007 6:30 pm

calvin's gay dance is painful
seconded
Posted: Jul 3, 2007 7:24 pm

BJ, aren't you the king of gay dance?
Posted: Jul 3, 2007 7:26 pm

no, faggot. you are.
Posted: Jul 3, 2007 7:28 pm

SNAP!!!!
Posted: Jul 3, 2007 11:43 pm

He's touring solo right now which is painful. He sucks solo.
Posted: Jul 3, 2007 11:54 pm

He sucks solo

you can take away the word solo.
Posted: Jul 4, 2007 12:09 am

DOUBLE SNAP!!
Posted: Jul 4, 2007 12:18 am

Calvin Johnson, formerly of beat happening, is ...

damn... I was hoping you were gonna say "dead"
Posted: Jul 4, 2007 1:08 am

He was really the one can't-miss prospect in this year's NFL draft. Playing opposite Roy Williams, he gives the Detroit Lions a pair of big, fast playmakers for Mike Martz's offensive schemes.
Posted: Jul 4, 2007 1:19 am

If this particular Calvin Johnson was in the NFL, what would his nickname be???
Posted: Jul 4, 2007 1:42 am

If this particular Calvin Johnson was in the NFL, what would his nickname be???

"honey pot"
Posted: Jul 4, 2007 5:16 am

meh, i didn't bother going
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 10:49 am

i didn't bother going

Sweat!

I saw Dub Narc in 2002 at the Beachland Ballroom with JSBX & Cheater Slicks. CJ was wearing the headphones like he just came from the rifle range.
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 8:19 pm

he stole my lady!
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 8:29 pm

he stole my lady!

i was waitin for you to chime in. don't worry buddy, there's plenty more ladies out there for you.
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 9:32 pm

I recall eating lunch at a good and hip little Downtown restaurant in the last year. Natch, like all such establishments, our server was gorgeous and way young. I heard later on from some of my lady pals, with a twinge of "Poor little dear", that she was none other than CJ's girlfriend. She was very friendly but stuff like that must help set you apart from the herd of young and beautiful for the rare service gig in PDX.

Carry on.
Posted: Jul 7, 2007 12:15 am

CJ was wearing the headphones like he just came from the rifle range.
I saw him in the audience at a show years ago and he was wearing them. I thought he was just listening to music on his walkman, because he didn't like the selection on stage. So now you're telling me that he was just trying to protect his ears????
Posted: Jul 7, 2007 5:46 am

So now you're telling me that he was just trying to protect his ears????

Or something. I thought you have to be in the presence of loud noises to need ear protection.

Roger Miller from Mission of Burma had them on when I saw them at the EMP in Seattle. I've heard that he suffers badly from tinnitus. Prescott's drum kit was behind plexiglass.
Posted: Jul 7, 2007 3:54 pm

Roger Miller from Mission of Burma had them on when I saw them at the EMP in Seattle. I've heard that he suffers badly from tinnitus. Prescott's drum kit was behind plexiglass.

wasn't this the single reason MoB stopped playing music in the first place?
Posted: Jul 7, 2007 10:02 pm

wasn't this the single reason MoB stopped playing music in the first place?

I dunno. I think I've heard something like that, but I don't know for sure. Roger Miller certainly didn't quit the music biz & did records for SST as No Man, although I believe those were acoustic records.
Posted: Jul 8, 2007 4:28 am | Edited by: satchmykels

did records for SST as No Man, although I believe those were SHITTY records.
Posted: Jul 8, 2007 2:52 pm

she was none other than CJ's girlfriend

Isn't he suppose to be gay?
Posted: Jul 9, 2007 12:28 am | Edited by: alix

I met him one night for 2 seconds and he somehow (kristin klein) obtained my phone number and left me creepy messages. I enjoyed the gay dances he did w/ Dub Narcotic though.
Posted: Jul 9, 2007 8:30 am

I met him one night for 2 seconds and he somehow (kristin klein) obtained my phone number

maybe those headphones are some kind of tracking device then
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®