Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Flora and Fauna folks...
Posted: Jul 1, 2007 11:02 pm

What is a plant (a good lookin' plant) that does well in shade. Lots of shade. Ferns have worked o.k., but I'd like some color.
I got a spot in the backyard that's singled out by a brick corner. Want to put something there. Fertile ground, but barely any sun.

Help.
Posted: Jul 2, 2007 12:11 am

Posted: Jul 2, 2007 12:31 am

Thanks, Sarah, but did that last year. Was a Mother's Day present. Blue, and everything. Didn't last past mid July. Area gets about an hour and a half of sunlight (if that much), if it ain't cloudy.
Posted: Jul 2, 2007 1:15 am

you fuckin assholes dont know how to grow shit. thats all i got. HA!
Posted: Jul 2, 2007 1:55 am

1.5 hours of sunlight? grow some fucking moss you dick!

and by moss I mean BALLS.
Posted: Jul 2, 2007 1:57 am

seriously though, orchids might do good in summer there.
Posted: Jul 2, 2007 2:22 am

Shade plants aren't exactly known for their color. One of the best solutions is to plant a variety of hostas. They have spikes of purple or white flowers in the spring, but the best thing is the foliage. There are literally hundreds of hosta variations to choose from. They run the gamut from yellow to green to blue to all kinds of combinations of those colors.

Another thing you might try is an oak leaf hydrangea. They have showy white flowers in late spring.
If you want something for summer color you're kind of SOL with shade plants.
Posted: Jul 2, 2007 4:54 am | Edited by: deadcityrebel

One of the best solutions is to plant a variety of hostas
she's right, as far as colorful shade plants, there aren't too many. you could make it a little flower bed with impatiens or sweet william (dianthus), but if they aren't perennials you'll have to replant every year. you could also put in one of those little red lace leaf japanese maples (acer palmatum) but they get pricey. i'm going to be there in the fall for the goner-fest if you want to wander around a greenhouse and look for stuff.
Posted: Jul 2, 2007 1:46 pm

bromeliads?
Posted: Jul 2, 2007 2:15 pm

Bayliss is the best greehouse here. They're out on Fite Rd. near Shelby Forest. They probably have about 15-20 kinds of hostas.
I have plenty of the variegated green/white garden variety I could dig for you, Jack, if you want to try them out. High summer is not exactly the best time to plant, but if you keep them watered they'll be okay.

I love impatiens, but by July they're pretty much long gone from the garden centers. They come in bright colors, but you have do have to replant them every year. If it's only a small space it's worth it if you can find them now.
My middle bed used to be planted with hostas, and every year I'd poke impatiens around them.
Posted: Jul 2, 2007 2:52 pm

hey Jack... I covered a portion of my backyard with ASTROTURF this weekend.

Just thought you'd like to know.

p.s. this is not a joke.
Posted: Jul 2, 2007 3:07 pm

Cretin.
Posted: Jul 2, 2007 6:07 pm

they beat me to the punch: go impatiens

we kept ours on a window sill that faced north, where it got hardly any sun. and it grew like crazyyy.
Posted: Jul 3, 2007 2:12 pm

I keep thinking about your shady bed, Jack Stands! Please note: the following is a a bit of initial work and planning but could potentially yield years of pleasure.

Forget doing anything this summer but start planning for the fall. Fall is a great time to plant, divide perrenials and then in the spring you can watch it all come up. First you have to get your soil prepped. I have a feeling your hydrangia died b/c of poor soil. I'd dig a bed in late October/early November. Turn that dirt, turn it, turn it. If it's full of clay like so much of Memphis soil is, then get a cuple of yards of garden soil from Natures Earth on Summer and mix it in. It will be worth it the initial cost and work, otherwise anything you plant may have the fate of that Mother's Day hydrangia. After you prep the soil then I would get some hydrangias (regular and oak leaf - do not give up on this tried and true southern gem!). Get pass-a-long hostas from Alisa and ferns from someone. (Ferns and hostas - never buy them. I'd give you some of mine but they're still brewing. In a couple of years though bring your shovel.) Another shady bush that people don't grow so much anymore but is an old fashioned southern favorite is the Bottle Brush Buckeye. Trees by touliatas has them and I'm sure Dabney's and other green houses do too. They'll get big and wide and they have these wild white flowers on them in June. They are very Dr. Seus like. I love them. Other shady perennials - elephant ears (black taro), astilbe, ginger (ground cover) and wild begonia, which is mighty pretty. (Go to the Lichterman and Botanic Garden plant sales in early April. They have lots of shady native plants they grow themselves - like the ginger and wild begonia.)

Shady annuals w/ color that aren't flowers: coleus and caladiums. You will have deep reds, bright reds, purple, pink, bright whites, etc. all in the leaves of these beauties. Stringers always has the best collection of coleus every spring. They get widest variety of colors. Caldiums are cheapest to do by bulb. Every March I go to Dan West (they have the best calladium bulb selection) and get about 30 bulbs at a $1 a pop and then around late April when the ground has warmed up, I plant them. (If you wait until late April to buy them as bulbs they'll be gone. If you buy the plant they'll be $4 - $6 a pop!) It takes at least until Memorial Day before they'll come up but it's a real show when they do and they stay fresh looking through October, at which time you can dig them up and put them in a paper bag and put them out the next year. Oh, and you can always throw some impatients in there. My point is you can have lots of color w/out them if they don't do well.

Remember, if your soil is full of clay like so much memphis soil is, then it would be worth it to mix some good soil in. Natures Earth on summer is my favorite place for mulch, soil, etc. If you have a truck they will fill your truck for $30 of whatever you need. Every spring I get mulch from there. It's so much better than getting bag after bag at the Home Depot. (They deliver for about $25, which I have to do b/c I don't have a truck.)

Last but not least, if you get stuff for a plant fall planting water for a few weeks after you plant about every three days. Get a soaker hose, they are the best. Good luck, Jack Stands! I wish I could show you my shady bed. That sounds bad... but you know what I mean. Sorry this is so long, but I'm a garden nerd. Please don't ask about sunny perennials b/c my head might burst.
Posted: Jul 3, 2007 10:21 pm

Thank you so much, lemissa. This rules.
Posted: Jul 4, 2007 3:34 am

yeah, i forgot about dabneys. that place rules. memphis state gets alot of their shrubs from dabneys. most green houses sell their own version of "pro-mix". get some. or just mix topsoil, a tiiiiiny bit of mulch, a little sand and vermiculite to get your own soil mix. also, it's expensive, but osmocote is a pretty good fertilizer to use. ask your garden center lackey to help you find the chemical balance for establishing root systems, or the "npk"
Posted: Jul 4, 2007 4:18 am

you're an npk.
Posted: Jul 4, 2007 4:19 am

osmocote is a pretty good fertilizer

That's that shit Limbaugh got hooked on. I ain't touchin' it.
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 5:45 pm

plants love it tho. i'm telling you.
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 5:49 pm

what about the fauna? i say you get a sloth, or maybe a rat.
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 5:55 pm

what's a tree?
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 9:53 pm

i say you get a sloth
yeah!
Posted: Jul 8, 2007 12:35 am

Try bluebells. I couldn't kill mine in the shade
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®