Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Jun 22, 2007 7:48 pm

is the new iphone the greatest thing ever, or the downfall of all humanity?
i haven't made up my mind yet, but for $600, i don't think i'll be finding out any time soon.
Posted: Jun 22, 2007 7:55 pm

I want it. I called t-mobile, my cell phone provider, to find out when they'd be selling them. Basically the answer was never.
But I did find out I am eligilbe for a phone upgrade. Should I get a krazr or update to a blackberry? I have no use for a blackberry except to look at the internet while driving.
Posted: Jun 22, 2007 8:04 pm

yeah, it's an AT&T exclusive.

i have AT&T (cingular), but i don't like it. i can hardly get a signal in my house. but i might keep it long enough to see if these get cheaper by the next generation.

or we might all be dead by then. after watching the 20min video for all the features and stuff, i'm 97% sure this thing is what ushers in the end of humanity.

like how that black dude found Arnold Schwarzenegger's arm in Terminator 2, which made us all live underground and travel back in time to have sex with ugly chicks, who give birth to Edward Furlong, who end up creating horrible music, and then, wait. . . what?
Posted: Jun 22, 2007 8:32 pm

The Linda Hamilton bashing STOPS HERE.
Posted: Jun 22, 2007 9:04 pm

Posted: Jun 22, 2007 10:01 pm

Linda Hamilton

wasn't or isn't she married to the really horrible director James "I'm The Kind of the World" Cameron?

if she is, i hope she beat the crap out of him
Posted: Jun 22, 2007 10:05 pm

i would not go to a starbucks next week without one.
Posted: Jun 22, 2007 10:31 pm | Edited by: Jay

i just found out my friend is getting one paid for through his work. but he's the "director of technogoly" or something like that, for Mr. Skin, so i guess they decided it was worth it.
so they can be sure you'll be able to see Linda Hamilton naked when you want to jerk off to a dude in an airplane bathroom.
i've never done that.
Posted: Jun 24, 2007 6:08 am

I don't understand the big deal about the Iphone.

I've had a blackjack for a while now with a 1gb memory card in it and a headset - so whats the diff? I also have an MP3 player that holds 30 GB - but I find the more music you have on one of these devices, the more you're hitting skip to find something you really wanna hear...

I really like that my phone stays synced up with my outlook - I don't use it to send email - but I always have all of my contact info and can easily reference when someone sends me info like directions or what time to be some place.

I could probably get onto myspace or the goner board if I tried, but that's sort of gay.
Posted: Jun 24, 2007 6:29 am

Posted: Jun 24, 2007 8:03 am

Love it !!!!!

Anyone know if there is some device that allows you to watch youtube on it.

(Nokia N95)
Posted: Jun 24, 2007 9:36 am

not gay!

yeah. what's the goner emoticon for sarcasm - cause now that would be helpful...

HEE-HAW!!!
Posted: Jun 24, 2007 10:34 am

"director of technogoly" or something like that, for Mr. Skin

westra?
Posted: Jun 24, 2007 6:16 pm

But I did find out I am eligilbe for a phone upgrade. Should I get a krazr or update to a blackberry?

I'm holding out for the razr 2, which looks pretty rad.
Posted: Jun 27, 2007 1:39 am

Posted: Jun 27, 2007 4:32 pm

my friend Dan. pretty sure he has the words "director" and "technology" on his card.
and "boobs"
Posted: Jun 27, 2007 4:52 pm

married to the really horrible director James "I'm The Kind of the World" Cameron?

Divorced. I believe her quote immediately following the Oscars where he proclaimed the world his kingdom was, "It didn't surprise me. He has always been an asshole." Oh yes she did!

The iphone got a glowing review in yesterday's NYTimes.
Posted: Jun 27, 2007 5:18 pm

I'm buying three. one for each hole. whoops, make that five, forgot about the nostrils. whoops, without the keypad, guess I need six so i can put one in my mouth
Posted: Jun 27, 2007 11:47 pm

I don't understand the big deal about the Iphone.

The iphone is totally killing my Nostradamus-like visions of the future!

Ya know, long ago when it became clear that cds were tanking, I had kinda pictured the post-cd future with major labels putting all their catalog on some kinda super-server. Then I pictured taking your Ipod to a store to "load it up" with tracks. Record stores maybe surviving as some sort of hi-tech download bar where you came to browse their database and that would replace the cd racks. Sure you could p2p it at home, but the store kiosk would have a better connection or be faster or whatever, you wouldn't have to worry about viruses or crashing your computer, plus you'd maybe want to leave the house at some point anyway and I figured they'd serve beer. I thought that would be cool, now it's looking quaint like the future as portrayed in a buck rogers serial!

I figured that the majors HAD to wise up at some point, and start charging maybe a quarter or a dime for a track. That'd be so cheap that it'd be worth it for people to pay if they could find everything cheap and easy enough. So, I thought this way the record store as a physical structure might survive somehow (I mean for the average person, not for the record geek who buys vinyl, it'll always be around) with some kinda label-sponsored napster download service. Man, was I way off.

That maybe could have worked if they'd done it 10 years ago. But, they sued napster and shut it down. I never figured the big labels would STILL be pushing cds like they aren't totally obsolete even now in the face of this insane Terminator II device. I never figured the day would come when everybody could carry their own Ipod integrated with a mobile phone and be able to browse the web pretty much anywhere. Sure, blackberries and whatever have internet, but it's a pain in the ass to use, you still need the separate ipod or home computer or whatever. But with this thing...shit...I know you can't YET, but I see the future...

Soon there'll be no need to hook up your iphone to anything, you just download stuff directly onto it. From anywhere. Yeah, it's not much different from a blackjack NOW. But it gets wifi if it's around, later on that won't even be necessary.

Sure it takes too long to do this shit now, and you have to "sideload" it onto your computer and then the phone, but that's temporary. Not long from now you won't even need the separate computer at home. Makes the zune look even stupider with it's "squirting" a track to somebody else. Soon, you'll be sitting around talking about some record somewhere, and recommend a song to a buddy - and they'll pull out the phone, get online, and download it themselves instantly. And for the average person not looking for vinyl there is never a need to go to a store for music ever again. My vision of the record store of the future is totally OVER!
Posted: Jun 28, 2007 1:47 am

Is the goner catalog on iTunes yet?
iWhy not?
Posted: Jun 28, 2007 1:55 am

my friend Dan. pretty sure he has the words "director" and "technology" on his card.
and "boobs"

he works with erik.

anyway, cell phones...i will chime in that i would like a phone like this one sanyo model that is mil spec dust, moister, temp variant, vibration and concussion proof. plus it doesn't get cancer, AIDS or "jimmy legs". if t-mobile will make that phone. i will buy it!
Posted: Jun 28, 2007 2:09 am

I think it's neat, but then I think about my history of breaking cell phones.
Pretty fucking expensive. And All I really want is to call people, and ignore those who call me. I'll wait 5 years for the same functionality to be 1/10th the price. $500 -$600? Fuck that.
Posted: Jun 28, 2007 2:20 am

what i DO know is that apple has been plunging tons of money into advertising and the consensus so far is that it's way too much computer for very little phone. all i want is a phone that tells me where it is at when i loose it through my GPS implant. that's all...no girlfriend needed after that.
Posted: Jun 28, 2007 3:02 am

Is the goner catalog on iTunes yet?
iWhy not?

we're working on "the right move." we did harlan's album and leather uppers album via cdbaby. harlan has done reasonably well via cdbaby, both selling actual cds and downloads, mostly via itunes, itunes europe, and emusic.

we're exploring other options. we definitely have to get mp3's available for download via the cart. at least our own label stuff, and maybe others.

here's my concern: right now, as a content provider you have to go through these aggregators/distributors who take 10-20% per track, plus sometimes set up fees. even though downloads are sorta "free money," that adds up.

my metaphor is this. a while back, it was hard to find websites on the internet. what if there were distributors who would consolidate websites then charge you to be found on the internet? along comes google, and all of a sudden everyone can find you without any distributor. i think in a year or so, these distributors are going to be obsolete. when you tune-google "tuff bananas," you'll find their mp3s from their site or a store who has the right to sell 'em. and the label or band will get a much better deal.

see this for more... http://indiehq.com/2007/06/18/a-discussion-about-digital-distribution/

hook or crook is with ioda, norton's with the orchard... we're figgering it out.
Posted: Jun 28, 2007 3:58 am

no girlfriend needed after that

GIRLfriend? who are you kidding?
Posted: Jun 28, 2007 4:14 pm

who are you kidding?

that's what YOU told me to call you.
Posted: Jun 28, 2007 8:08 pm

we're working on "the right move."

Beat-man is in the same boat with Voodoo Rhythm. He said he tried one place and he thought it was a ripoff so he's gonna try something else. In the meantime, you can't buy downloads but I know my album has been soulseeked (soulsought?) plenty.

And why is 99 cents still the only price? I see the Hex Dispensers have a snocap thingy on their myspace where you can buy the songs, but it's still the same price as itunes. You should be able to pick whatever price you want, I say.

I just sucks because you'd thing somebody would've worked this out by now. Lord knows me, Eric, or Beat-man ain't got the know-how or fundage (or desire, in my case at least) to create a download store from scratch.
Posted: Jun 28, 2007 8:17 pm

along comes google, and all of a sudden everyone can find you without any distributor.

Yeah, but they can only find you if they already know where to look or who to look for. Even with myspace finding anything new and interesting music-wise online is a chore. There's a million pages and a million blogs but who can you trust? Nobody! Saying you can find your band online is like saying you're listed in the phone book.
Posted: Jun 29, 2007 3:50 am

i agree. but i don't really think these aggregators/distributors really have enough of a "brand" that you'd trust their opinion.

i think that's where small stores or blogs(?) will come in.

amazon shoulda wiped out everybody already but they got too big & blew it.
Posted: Jun 29, 2007 10:49 pm

I've been trying this Rhapsody subscription thing for a few months and I like it ok. $10 a month to listen legally to anything you want as much as you want, or upgrade for the $15 plan and you can load whatever you want onto your iPod as much as you want.

It's weird at first, and I can't decide if it's a rip off or not, since in the end, you don't own the music, you rent it. You have to hook your player/ipod up and renew the licenses once a month or the tracks won't play anymore. But the advantage is that you can listen to things you otherwise wouldn't fork over the dough for, like box sets and stuff you're just curious about, in unlimited quantities. I used to rack up $10 a month in late fees at the library A/V dept., so this is a better deal than that, at least, and the catalog is way better.

I looked into the other subscription services but none of them had the catalog that Rhapsody had; indie stuff is better represented there than the others (Yahoo, Napster, etc).
Posted: Jun 29, 2007 10:55 pm

amazon shoulda wiped out everybody already but they got too big & blew it.

guess you haven't heard about their new system that's gonna take out itunes. mum's the word.
Posted: Jun 30, 2007 6:02 am

Guys, forget the iPhone. I'm developing the hPhone. It's a cellphone with a harmonica built into it. You kids want a phone that plays music? Blow on this.
Posted: Jun 30, 2007 8:26 am

that's the spirit!
Posted: Jul 2, 2007 9:52 pm

Yeah, but they can only find you if they already know where to look or who to look for

You can't assume Google would direct an interested party to the place to purchase most directly. Unless you can find somebody to hack it like the "failure = George Bush" Google rig (forgot the argot for that).

You can hire some marketing geek to rig it up so that your site comes up on top. otherwise the big boys like Amazon have got their deal all locked up. that's how Google makes its sixty billion a month, or whatever.

Goner enabling its customers to purchase downloads would probably be appreciated, no matter if the masses come or not. let's face it, "bytes flow from afar" is the wave of the future, even if it sucks
Posted: Jul 2, 2007 10:03 pm

"bytes flow from afar" is the wave of the future, even if it sucks

way to go supporting it, doofus.
Posted: Jul 3, 2007 7:58 am

not gay!

Mobile Goner Board

Am I the only one that uses this?!
Posted: Jul 3, 2007 8:04 am

Am I the only one that uses this?!

Untill I have a phone next week, yes.
Posted: Jul 3, 2007 2:20 pm

Holee shit!
My brother bought one of these last night.
It's nice, folks.
I don't know how well it works out in the world as a phone, but it's badass at home as an iPod, and the photo / music browsing is awesome.
I still aren't getting one.
Posted: Jul 16, 2007 4:55 am

will it blend?

(via WFMU's Beware Of The Blog)

Awesome.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®