Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Punk Planet is dead
Posted: Jun 18, 2007 9:54 pm

i'm not actually sure if it matters though, but you know, they were around for a long time.
Posted: Jun 18, 2007 10:23 pm

I always hated this zine. Written by smarmy art school college kids who hated punk rock. Of course, it was filled with plenty of feel good liberal bullshit politics. Good riddance.
Posted: Jun 18, 2007 10:31 pm | Edited by: Jay

yeah, i kinda agree. i mean, i knew some people that wrote for it here and there, and they didn't usually cover music i cared about, but i still kinda like that fact that it was produced in Chicago for some reason. it didn't overly offend me or sicken me so i'm neutral. it's more about the fact that people can't seem to keep independent magazines afloat anymore.
score one for the internet.
Posted: Jun 18, 2007 10:39 pm

Bring back HIT LIST!
Posted: Jun 19, 2007 12:13 am

it was horseshit anyways
Posted: Jun 19, 2007 12:17 am | Edited by: Agony Bag

We could have easily kept Horizontal Action afloat but we killed when it was the right time, and we didn't feel like doing it anymore. We knew better than to have a color cover and that you need to give away as many free issues as possible, too. PP should have killed it waaaay back, and then they wasted so much time/money on stuff like Bail which was really, really a bad idea. They gotta know when to fold 'em!
Posted: Jun 19, 2007 12:43 am | Edited by: deadcityrebel

They gotta know when to fold 'em!
yet another kenny rogers reference. crucial dude is right.
Posted: Jun 19, 2007 3:27 am

Punk Planet is dead
Hooray!
I'm alright, don't know body worry bout me!
Posted: Jun 19, 2007 3:40 am

hated punk rock

my good friend was the punk planet review coordinator guy back in the mid-nineties, and I know he definitely "loved" punk rock, so RIP? I don't know how involved he is now, so good riddance?
Posted: Jun 19, 2007 9:20 am

Ya picked a fine time to leave me lucile.....400 children and crops in the field...
Posted: Jun 19, 2007 3:56 pm

His mama named him Tommy, the folks just called him yellow
Posted: Jun 19, 2007 5:44 pm

Oh Roooooo-oo-beeeeeee...don't take your love to town.
Posted: Jun 19, 2007 9:44 pm

Bring back HIT LIST!
AMEN!
Posted: Jun 19, 2007 10:09 pm

...you coulda heard a pin drop, as Tommy stopped...to lock the door.
Posted: Jun 19, 2007 10:26 pm

I thought Hit List kinda sucked, too. But Punk Planet was in its own league of suck.
Posted: Jun 19, 2007 11:04 pm

You think everything sucks, shit talker!
Posted: Jun 19, 2007 11:06 pm

I thought Hit List kinda sucked, too.

The only reason Hit List kinda sucked is becuase they had that one guy who helped found it who liked all that crappy hardcore stuff like American Nightmare. I mean I can deal with sifting through D-beat and screamo type hardcore bands to get to the good stuff in a rag, but all that "tough guy" or emo pansy type hardcore was stuff I would never listen to in a thousand years. But when the covered Rock'n'Roll stuff it was pretty reliable.
I think Razorcake is the best mag going now, even though you have to wade through all those No Idea type bands.
Posted: Jun 20, 2007 3:02 am

Punk Planet was easily one of the WORST "zines" around. really. Good riddance to bad rubbish!
Posted: Jun 20, 2007 5:06 am

The DWARVES issue of the Hit List RULES!
Posted: Jun 20, 2007 5:37 pm

The DWARVES issue of the Hit List RULES!

The stories those degenerates told! I liked the series Hit List did on the Fastbacks, too.

Hit List kinda sucked is becuase they had that one guy who helped found it who liked all that crappy hardcore stuff like American Nightmare.

That guy currently does AMP magazine, which is one of the largest purveyors of that which sucks, though they used to have some pretty good columnists (Norb, Whiskey Rebel, Jack Rabit--all of whom used to write for Hit List).
Posted: Jun 20, 2007 7:07 pm

At least Hit List ruled more than it sucked. What more could you ask for? Something that totally rules? BORING
Posted: Jun 21, 2007 9:28 am

bring back Sick Teen or Skate Muties from the 5th Dimension

everything else makes me barf
Posted: Jun 22, 2007 9:27 am

Yay. But unfortunately they'll still have a place to spew their shit in the NW media it seems. Too bad for us.
Posted: Jun 22, 2007 12:28 pm

Norb's been talking for years about reprinting old Sick Teens, but it's never happened. I told him someone would probably do a bound mega-edition (I've had people wanting me to ask him), but he doesn't seem interested. No one does zines like that anymore.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®