Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Cormac McCarthy on Oprah
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 1:17 am

June 5th motherfuckers. That's next Tuesday.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 7:17 am

big day, big night... TURPENTINE BROTHERS AT HI TONE MEMPHIS!

a lisle, it's your day!
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 6:12 pm | Edited by: Haunted George

I've been working on the newest Cohen Brothers movie which is Cormac McCarthy's "NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN"... It looks good from what I've seen so far; real brutal and macho!
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 6:48 pm

I've been working on the newest Cohen Brothers

What's that mean, exactly? I think all of the reasons that made "No Country For Old Men" a kinda shitty book will make it a great flick (especially in the hands of the Cohens!) Apparently Tommy Lee Jones owns the film rights to Blood Meridian, but who knows what'll ever happen there...
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 8:04 pm

What's that mean, exactly?

I do post production work... I got laid-off from the California Park Service. Yes, Tommy Lee Jones plays Sheriff Ed Tom Bell and Javier Bardem is the crazy psychopath that kills people with a pnuematic cattle brainer. Josh Brolin is Llewelyn, the lead character/ Vietnam Vet bad-ass. It looks good from what I've seen so far.
Posted: Jun 5, 2007 9:30 pm

Joe -- the whole cormac-on-oprah thing actually inspired me to start a blog - http://andrialisle.blogspot.com/. only 30 minutes to go, here in the mid-south. bono and michael moore are on the same episode, so i expect it to suck!
Posted: Jun 5, 2007 10:09 pm

i haven't seen the show yet. i'll see it tomorrow night, and try to block out Bono and Mr. Moore.

but here is a little thing i found by some Chicago Trib people talking about the interview. i think these two are mental retarded though.
(sorry i didn't find this blurb in a Memphis paper, considering this board is only for Memphis stuff)
Posted: Jun 5, 2007 11:30 pm

Posted: Jun 6, 2007 1:09 am

Sort of a bummer. Oprah blew it.
Posted: Jun 6, 2007 6:03 am | Edited by: Jay

dude. there were so many times i wanted to punch Oprah in the cunt. i was yelling at the TV, and then i was yelled at, so i stopped.

how much money do you think they gave him to agree to this? because there's no fucking way she just called him up, threw out this idea, and two days latter he agreed. and that kinda makes me sad in a way, but maybe it shouldn't. he obviously won the interview, cause he was super comfortable, and Oprah was a fucking clown.

and her left eye was fucked up the whole time, like it was almost swollen shut.

i'm done now.
Posted: Jun 6, 2007 4:51 pm

the worst part was when she asked him about toothpaste!
Posted: Jun 6, 2007 5:17 pm | Edited by: The Troll

You guys, he's not that great. He likes hanging out at that "think tank" because he's old and needs to cash in on his celebrity while he can. Personally, I didn't think 'The Road' was that great. It was no where as cohesive a story as his earlier stuff. He even said in the interview that it just wandered. I don't think he's written a really great book since 'Blood Meridian', seriously. The Border Trilogy and The Road are old man books - full of sentimental ramblings with no tightness to the plot. He's been trying to write the same shitty story for the past 15 years, one that really kind of sucks. Whatever. Flame on, boys. I know he's a few of you guys' fave, but I was really, really disappointed with 'The Road' and I laughed my ass off with the Oprah interview. Go ahead and buy some vintage paperbacks at lunch.
Posted: Jun 6, 2007 5:21 pm

I don't think he's written a really great book since 'Blood Meridian', seriously

even the worst mccarthy is still pretty damn good, including no country. but, yea blood meridian and earlier ( is the great work.
Posted: Jun 6, 2007 5:24 pm

i guess nobody has put it on youtube yet cuz i cant find it.
Posted: Jun 6, 2007 5:26 pm

I think he's moved from just being a writer writing a story to being a writer, and that's what bothers me. It's like when I first saw Hall & Oates or Men At Work on Solid Gold - it just ruins it for me. I don't give a shit about the artist, I just want good work. Nowadays, I'd argue, he's about the artist. He's the mysterious, fiercely private loner. Good for him as he's 74. I don't say that his recent stuff isn't well written, but, well, it isn't well written if, as a reader, I feel jerked around and the tone he so fervently aspires to build, goes nowhere. No payoff. That was my biggest gripe with 'The Road'. CFZ.
Posted: Jun 6, 2007 6:24 pm

Wow. Really?

The Road sort of felt felt like a perfect book to me, especially at this point in his carreer... especially after sinking to the mess that was "No Country..."

It feels like a distillation of everything he's been writing about since the beginning. Like the epilogue in Blood Meridian, The Road seems an appropriate coda to the man's oeuvre- my money says this is his last book
Posted: Jun 6, 2007 6:58 pm

The Border Trilogy and The Road are old man books - full of sentimental ramblings with no tightness to the plot

STRONGLY AGREE HERE, HE'S LOST THAT TOUCH HE AHD THAT WAS SO PREVELANT IN BLOOD MERIDIAN...

THE INTERVIEW - WHAT COULD YOU HAVE EXPECTED OF A MAN WHO HAS AVOIDED INTERVIEWS AND PUBLIC SPEAKING ALL HIS LIFE. IT WAS DOOMED FROM THE GET-GO.

AND FUCK OPRAH.
Posted: Jun 6, 2007 9:46 pm

No Country was pretty awful. I've tried to read Blood Meridian like three times and it just doesn't do it for me.
Posted: Jun 6, 2007 9:50 pm

AND FUCK OPRAH.

man i would in a hot fuckin' second.
Posted: Jun 13, 2007 9:27 pm

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®