Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Brag on: Who are your famous relatives?
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 12:13 am

Ok ,what notables are you even distantly related to? Distant cousins : Teddy Roosevelt, John Wayne, Marlon Brando,William Faulkner[closest to me ], Lucille Ball, Fay Wray and Clyde Barrow ( you know, Bonnie and Clyde) . Geoffrey Chaucer -20th something great grandfather.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 12:14 am

Howie/Shelley.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 12:32 am

All distant cousins according to my gramma (who was a little off): William, McKinnley, Alexander Graham Bell, the Fondas. Additionally, the illigitimate daughter of dutch nobility, sent to "new amsterdam" to avoid public humiliation. Apparently some olde thyme cousins sued NYC for ownership of central park, citing those grounds as the original residence of Anika Jans, the bastard.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 12:36 am

Posted: Jun 1, 2007 12:38 am

According to the book Holy Blood Holy Grail, which provided the basis for The Da Vinci Code, I am a descendent of Jesus Christ. Apparantly Boyd Rice is as well, which would make us related I guess.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 12:45 am

My uncle was also the singer of Germaine Shepard and the Police Dogs and The Johnnies who were some of the very first punk bands in Wisconsin. My cousin was the drummer for Moral Disgust (early WI hardcore band that opened for DK, Flag, Raw Power etc...). Neither of them are "famous" I guess.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 12:46 am

chicago mob hitman and political fixer, gus alex (deceased), who was the arch nemesis of FBI agent turned real-crime writer, bill roemer (who died in 1996)... was my dad's first cousin.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 12:57 am

Damn. TK has mob ties...I'm not saying a word about my family ties. They're still alive.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 1:09 am

Anyone ever rented the DVD of 'Capturing the Friedmans' and watched the extra stuff? My cousin who lives in NYC was featured prominently in the extra interviews as the girlfriend of the weird clown guy. I guess that is famous. I totally freaked out when I saw her and wrote her a long email about it. She never replied.

My mother's a Crump, and there's some speculation that we're related by marriage to Boss Crump.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 1:13 am

One of the guys on the crew of the Enola Gay (plane that dropped the first A-bomb) was my second cousin.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 1:41 am

I don't know how famous they are, but I'm pretty proud of my sister and brother-in-law, who founded THE NATIVE VOICE. There's a nice article about my brother-in-law, Frank, HERE.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 1:46 am

Jane Seymour. The queen, not the actress. That's all I got.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 1:47 am

William Faulkner[closest to me ],

Oh christ...so we are RELATED?!?!?!
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 1:53 am

so we are RELATED?!?!?!

3rd cousin. Ha Ha ,that just kills you ,don't it? He couldn't screw in a light bulb either.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 1:56 am

my grandfather handed down the ruling that barred cigarette ads from television.

that's about all I got.

oh I might somehow be related to anne frank, but I doubt it.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 2:04 am

3rd cousin. Ha Ha ,that just kills you ,don't it? He couldn't screw in a light bulb either.

I knew I inherited some other traits from Mr. Faulkner...is he a blood cousin or married in? He married in (or vice versa whatever) so he is not a blood relative. Is your family from Mississippi? Sartartia and Zeiglerville, right here.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 2:04 am | Edited by: queenothetwist

Cliff Hillegass (of Cliff Notes "fame") is my dad's uncle. He always gave me really nice presents. Cuz he was, you know, rich.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 2:08 am

Is your family from Mississippi?
Some from around Pontotoc. Mostly from Ala.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 2:12 am

My mother and Faulkner share a Great Great Grandfather.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 2:17 am

israel putnam, "don't shoot until you see the whites of their eyes at bunker hill" guy
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 2:21 am

I really like this thread.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 2:28 am

My aunt's the editor of Road & Track magazine. That's about it.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 2:36 am

My great uncle was the Teacher in the Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory with Gene Wylder. He's the dude who makes fun of Charlie because he could only get two candy bars rather than two-hundred.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 2:38 am

Don't know how I'm related to this dude, but supposedly I am.

And my dad's cousin is a pro drag racer.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 3:16 am

Posted: Jun 1, 2007 3:21 am

Hugh Hefner claims he's part of my family tree.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 3:24 am

Posted: Jun 1, 2007 3:44 am

Charlie Utter

Rad!

My cousin is the guy that produced that movie "Monster." And, uh, my dad is the "olive and salt guy" in Portland.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 4:01 am

they keep telling me i'm related to this guy...

http://www.physorg.com/newman/gfx/news/Chimp3_72.jpg
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 4:03 am | Edited by: jenna

my great great grandfather, James Marion Sims, is the Father of Gynecology. he revolutionzed childbirth, was the personal physician to Empress Eugenie, presided over the AMA, and there's a massive statue of him on Fifth Avenue and 103rd.

my other great great grandfather, John Allen Wyeth, founded the first women's hospital in NY and also wrote the definitive biogrpahy of Nathan Bedford Forrest (uh, founder of the KKK).

my great grandfather, Marion Sims Wyeth, was one of the original architects of Palm Beach and also built the governor's mansion in FL.

my great aunt, Janet Travell, was President Kennedy's personal physician.

um, let's see....

we're VERY distantly related to N.C. and his son Andrew Wyeth.

everything else is notoriety.

goner, it's nice to come home and know you're there.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 4:10 am

you know, here's what I say: make your own legacy.

everything else is bullshit.

the power is NOW.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 4:14 am

the definitive biogrpahy of Nathan Bedford Forrest (uh, founder of the KKK).

yes but a legendary and fearless and innovative commander in the field

no offense but hard to believe it's definitive when it's over 100 years old

i'll get back
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 4:17 am | Edited by: jenna

mr. baker, so you know! yes, and john allen was a confederate!

smarty pants. definitive, indeed. of the day. of the time.

he also penned 'of sword and scalpel," an original copy of which is sitting on my shelf.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 4:19 am

According to family records on my mom's side, there was an axe murdering barber AND an immaculate conception. Haha.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 4:25 am

the definitive biogrpahy of Nathan Bedford Forrest (uh, founder of the KKK).

uh park, right outside sun studios
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 4:36 am

nathan bedford forrest's bed sits on the 3rd floor of the house where i give tours.

i don't have any famous relatives whatsoever. my fam's all po' white trash.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 5:10 am

K-FED!
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 5:28 am

My uncle is local pro-wrasslin' persona "Nate the Rat."

My mom was in Playboy 1973.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 5:57 am

UUUMMM, Miss Faye? Didn't you forget somebody else in the family?
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 6:07 am

Nobody famous.

My mom was in Playboy 1973.
I HAVE to find this.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 6:09 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

I did have an uncle named Paul Stanley, but it's not the Kiss guy. He was on campus when the dude went crazy in Texas and shot from the Bell Tower, though.

Otherwise, unless snake handlers from east TN are famous...
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 6:12 am

I HAVE to find this.

Find Octobers copy 1973.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 6:40 am

I met Muhammad Ali once.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 7:01 am

Mario Lemieux is one of my grandmother's nephews. Not sure what that makes him to me...
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 7:02 am

Gramma was direct Hatfield relative. McCoys suck. (not the band, but, terrible name, derringer.)

I just wish i buddied up more with pierre omidyar more in high school. damn.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 10:47 am

Shakti on the bottom
Shiva on the top
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 12:20 pm

I met Muhammad Ali once.

i met him at an akron NAACP dinner--i know i know, you can start the coons can't read jokes--with another hero julian bond; i went up to him (this was the late eighties) and shook his hand and said, "I am in yr debt," and he, palsied and wearied, thought i said, "I am in your death" and suddenly looked shriveled and frightened.

of (non music) famous people i have met, a WHOLE bunch of nobel prize winners:
IB Singer
Saul Bellow
Octavio Paz
Toni Morriison
Elie Weisel

and i had dinner with william burroughs

famous people who went to my high school

rita dove
wvo quine
his nephew, the great guitar player (RIP)
members of tin huey, chi pig, devo, shalimar, switch (cameo like funk)
hugh downs ( a game show host who was NOT peter marshall)
bunch of second tier pro athletes
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 12:24 pm

prep school bastid!

i know kids from georgetown prep and st albans, yr rivals right?

URL
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 1:21 pm

I met all kinds of famous musicians in college. Though nobody would care about them on this board - myself included.

I'm related to Jesse James.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 1:31 pm

I'm related to Emily Pankhurst and Slash. I think it's a fair balance.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 1:36 pm

Find Octobers copy 1973.

Found it.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 1:41 pm

Find Octobers copy 1973.
Was she the centerfold?
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 2:10 pm

My brother-in-law is Korean R&B sensation Kim Jo Han.

Otherwise, just some guy in Indiana who tried to kill his wife by blowing up the house with dynamite (she escaped).
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 2:13 pm

Find Octobers copy 1973.
Was she the centerfold?

yes

a real killer
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 2:13 pm | Edited by: jerryd

Was she the centerfold?

She was one of the bunnies.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 2:30 pm

yes

a real killer

Yeah, thats her. But it's a lot sexier when the robe comes off and she's carrying that gun while riding her stallion.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 2:47 pm

Bonnie Parker, according to drunk grandpaw.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 3:02 pm

Find Octobers copy 1973.

Valerie Lane? i'm looking at her sexy picnic pix right now

my own famous relatives: jesse james (outlaw - not the motorbike guy) - the dude who wrote 'home on the range' whos name i forget. and michael jackson once asked for my father-in-law's autograph cuz he's a superstar.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 3:11 pm

I asked for your father in law's autograph but all i got were the japanese ep's he put out before he got big in the u.s.a.

i am the arm's gramps played himself in The Toy. I'm impressed by that one the most.

My uncle Albert took the pix for the Puke Spit and Guts alb.

My mom claims we're related to Leo Tolstoy.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 3:13 pm

my own famous relatives: jesse james

whoa, are we related?
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 3:19 pm

whoa, are we related?

i forget exactly how it works but my family is directly connected to his cousin who he married
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 3:21 pm

i forget exactly how it works but my family is directly connected to his cousin who he married

My grandmother was his 2nd cousin or some shit. Crucial.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 3:43 pm | Edited by: Golightly

Direct descendent of William The Lion of Scotland...well...maybe not direct...Petrick Gellately was a illegitimate grandson....the bastard
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 3:50 pm

Find Octobers copy 1973.
Was she the centerfold?

No. Her centerfold pics were taken, but then she was getting married and my dad decided that no wife of his was gonna be all naked in a magazine. One of her biggest regrets to this day.

Valerie Lane?
No--Linda Sorensen.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 3:57 pm

biggest regrets to this day.

That she wasn't the centerfold??
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 4:08 pm

According to the Women of Playboy index, she's on page 137 in the "Bunnies of 1973" feature.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 4:10 pm

my great great grandfather, James Marion Sims, is the Father of Gynecology

Tried this one at the bar last night. No dice.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 4:12 pm

According to the Women of Playboy index, she's on page 137 in the "Bunnies of 1973" feature.

Find a picture please.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 4:17 pm

whoa, are we related?

I'm related to Jesse James, too! I'm also related to Emily Bronte and The Doobie Brothers Michael MacDonald.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 4:40 pm | Edited by: banned

I've met several people who claim to be related to Jesse James. Kinda fishy if you ask me. If it was Ghengis Khan instead of Jesse James it'd make alot more sense.

I have a couple of family members who are artists. Again, not really famous or anyone anybody here would know by name, but one of my cousins has done shows with William Burroughs and Chris Mars, the drummer of the Replacements. I guess there have been college students who have done their thesis on his work and he's got stuff up in some "visionary artist" museum on the east coast.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 4:40 pm

I'm related to Jesse James, too!

That's it, we're forming a gang.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 4:41 pm

My uncle Joe claims he's "America's Favorite Mexican."
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 4:49 pm

I'm related to Jesse James, too!

BRAY!
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 4:51 pm

This is an insanely cool thread, but I was just kidding. How come everyone is related to famous people but me? I guess that means I have to be famous. Shit, I don't know if I can handle it.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 4:57 pm

Now that I think about it, I actually saw a documentary on the history channel or something about people who claim to be related to Jesse James. Seriously.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 5:07 pm

Now that I think about it, I actually saw a documentary on the history channel or something about people who claim to be related to Jesse James. Seriously.

Who cares? Let's see those Playboy pictures from October 1973.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 6:48 pm

Bob Denver (Gilligan) is my uncle.
he married my dad's sister.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 6:52 pm

Posted: Jun 1, 2007 7:09 pm

So what about someone's mommy being in Playboy in 1973? why we still talking about it? Where are the pics?
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 7:11 pm

Kristian Alfonso

One half of supercouple Bo and Hope on the soap opera Days of Our Lives. I have yet to find nude pix.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 7:15 pm

You are related to Hope?!?!?
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 7:18 pm

Still waiting on those pictures.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 8:18 pm

biggest regrets to this day.

That she wasn't the centerfold??

Yep. And about the pics--I have no idea how to find them other than to buy the issue.

And don't you guys care about Nate the Rat?
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 8:27 pm

this guy is why my family is in america right now:

http://www.peopleplayuk.org.uk/collections/object.php?object_id=201
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 8:47 pm

is guy is why my family is in america right now:

check out the dept of anti climax last sentence!!!!!!

Animal trainer, born 1800, died 1868, in America. Three quarters Dutch, one quarter Tuscarora Indian (Cherokee) Isaac Van Amburgh worked with the Titus Menagerie, Boston, in 1832 and travelled in America until about 1835.

Arriving in Britain in 1838 he was feted by the greatest in the land and was much admired by Queen Victoria and was reputedly the first man to put his head in a lion's mouth.

He made a provincial tour of the country in 1843, being noted at Wirksworth (Durham) and Hartlepool, housed in a marquee. He then toured Lancashire towns giving shows in theatres.

Van Amburgh cast himself as the brave hero who terrified dangerous animals into submission. Certainly the performances involved a lot of whip cracking and shouting on his part, and a lot of angry snarling and cringing from the lions. Whether he actually trained his animals with cruelty, or whether this was showmanship to exaggerate how dangerous the animals were, is unknown. The culmination of his act was to make a lamb lie down with a lion; the biblical image of peace in Eden, an act that was copied by later circuses.

In 1844 Van Amburgh was briefly in partnership with fellow American Richard Sands. Sands was an American acrobat, equestrian and 'ceiling walker'. He ran his own circus, Sand's American Circus, which first visited England in 1842, with a stud of 35 horses and 25 equestrians. The partnership failed in 1845.

Van Amburgh's collection included lions, tigers, leopards, a giraffe (supposedly given to King George IV by the Pasha of Egypt) and an elephant. The show also boasted a band of first-rate musicians.

Van Amburgh remained in Britain until at least 1848. His daughter was mauled to death in 1883 (in London).
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 9:01 pm

I'm somehow related to Bill Pullman's stunt double in "Spaceballs". He's been in a lot of other movies too, but none as important to me.

http://imdb.com/name/nm0267258/

My uncle owned a recording studio and wrote scores for some movies, and worked on a cd the pope put out. He's dead now. My uncle and the Pope.

I'm distantly related to Benjamin Franklin on my dad's side.

My neighbor is brothers of Jad and David Fair(Half Japanese)...and Jad Fair jammed with the band I had in high school, though at the time I didn't really know much about Half Japanese.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 9:14 pm

Yeah, I don't know Longer, I'm not related to anyone famous either. My grandfather on my dad's side did throw the first forward pass in Canadian football history (back in 1919), though. I guess that counts for something.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 9:50 pm

rip vanwinkle

conway twitty
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 10:01 pm

No fame in my family, however,

Sean Williams Scott lived down the street from a grade school friend of mine. I think he was there at my first fist fight between me and his older brother. I still haven't bothered seeing any of his movies...
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 10:27 pm

lance loud (and the rest of the loud family kids), kristian hoffman, jay dee daugherty

famous people who went to my college? TONS. i went to UCLA (ie: lew alcindor; heather locklear; ray manzarek, etc).

famous people in my dorm same freshman year as me:
christopher knight (peter brady on the brady bunch)
shirley babashoff (olympic gold medalist 1976 olympics, diving/swimming)
jonathan dayton (video & film director/he created IRS the Cutting Edge tv show and did all the smashing pumpkins videos, REM's video backgrounds on stage and many of janet jackson's videos)
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 10:29 pm

I'm somehow related to Bill Pullman's stunt double in "Spaceballs".

I think you win!
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 10:52 pm

Yep. And about the pics--I have no idea how to find them other than to buy the issue.

On Playboy's pay site, there are quite a few of those "Bunnies" features from the magazine. Most of them don't list last names, just "Bunny Janet" and "Bunny Barbara" and so-forth. There are two different ones named "Bunny Linda," so maybe one of them is your mom.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 11:05 pm

our singer's uncle was Dennis Weaver of DUEL fame (RIP)
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 11:11 pm

baker, nope. different school. same class, pierre was a angular hair computer nerd. now he looks like he can afford a stylist. a stylish billionaire computer nerd.

our rivals: iolani.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 11:53 pm

Those asshole Stanley brothers who were Elvis Presley's step-brothers, drug mules and pimps for high school nookie.
Degarmo and Key -Nabobs of the dreaded 70's & 80's Christian rock. They were a Grand Funk cover band when I was a freshman .
Posted: Jun 2, 2007 1:00 am

semi famous people who went to my high school

All of the exploding Hearts minus Louie, both dudes from Helio Sequence and of course, me.
Posted: Jun 2, 2007 1:43 am

Me.
Posted: Jun 2, 2007 2:02 am

Sheckie Green
Posted: Jun 2, 2007 2:02 am

Ron Dickles
Posted: Jun 2, 2007 2:06 am

more hs studs>>> michelle wie, barrack obama, kelly preston, sun yat sen, mosi tatapu, Steve Case, buster crabbe, and mark tuinei (!!!). plus fucking BROCK LITTLE and ROBBIE NAISH!

college dorm room? try frickin arabella holzbog, who held her own in STONE COLD and Carnosaur 2!
Posted: Jun 2, 2007 2:08 am

from my grandpa on my mothers side, Henry Morgan the Pirate.
from my grandma on my moms side, Danial Boone.

I want to raise both of them from the grave to have a zombie fight.
Posted: Jun 2, 2007 2:51 am

URL

Townes Van Zandt was my first cousin.
I never got anything out of living in Tennessee and being closely related to the wealthy Texas royal family either.
Posted: Jun 2, 2007 3:08 am

my dad always said that his granddad invented french fries.
Posted: Jun 2, 2007 3:11 am

my dad always said that his granddad invented french fries.

i've heard this paris TX paris france theory a few times re fries and from REAL diff sources

INVENTING THE HAMBURGER
by Bob Bowman
Bob Bowman
When Hamburger University, the McDonald's training school and research group, went looking for the origin of the hamburger some years ago, they concluded that it was introduced at the 1904 St Louis World's Fair by an anonymous food vender.

But it wasnąt until the 1980s that it was discovered that the vendor was from East Texas.

The inventor was Fletcher Davis -- sometimes known as Old Dave -- who ran a small cafe on Athens' courthouse square in the 1880s. His early burger was described as a classic, greasy burger served on just-out-of-the-oven slices of bread and garnished with ground mustard mixed with mayonnaise, a big slice of onion, and sliced cucumber pickles.

The man responsible for unearthing Fletcher's culinary contribution, the late Frank Tolbert of the Dallas Morning News, worked for years on the hamburger story, assisted by Clint Murchison, Jr. of Dallas and Kindree Miller, Sr., an Athens potter and a nephew of Fletcher.

In his 1983 book, "Tolbert's Texas," the Dallas columnist said Murchison sent him a large photo of the l904 midway with "Old Dave's Hamburger Stand," marked by Murchison's grandfather, John Murchison of Athens. The people of Athens were reportedly so pleased with Fletcher's sandwich that they reportedly raised a pile of money and sent him to the World's Fair.

Fletcher was, by trade, a potter. He came to Athens from Webster City, Missouri, to join Miller's father in the pottery business. Although he was still in his twenties, he was somehow tagged with the nickname, Old Dave. He apparently got into the burger business by cooking at pottery shows. Miller said he was "a natural and imaginative cook."

When he came home from the St. Louis exposition, Fletcher gave up his cafe on the Athens square and went back to firing pots in the Miller pottery But, before returning to Texas, Fletcher also had something to do with the origin of another fast-food delicacy.

He was interviewed by a New York Tribune reporter who was intrigued by the hamburger and the fried potatoes he served with the sandwich at the World's Fair. Fletcher told the reporter the sandwich was his idea, but said he learned to cook the potatoes that way from a friend in Paris, Texas. Apparently the reporter thought Fletcher meant Paris, France, and reported that the hamburger was served with wonderful "french-fried potatoes."

The name stuck, and history has forever given the wrong Paris the credit for french fries.
Posted: Jun 2, 2007 3:38 am

One of the guys on the crew of the Enola Gay (plane that dropped the first A-bomb) was my second cousin

My grandpa was on the ground crew on Tinian and fueled the Enola Gay on the day of the Hiroshima bomb drop. 27 years to the day later I was born. But seriously, I'm definitely the most famous person in my family unless you're a close follower of Western Michigan short-track stock car racing.

-Ryan
Posted: Jun 2, 2007 3:43 am

My grandpa was a cinematographer and during the 70s worked in TV on such shows as the Waltons, M.A.S.H., Fantasy Island and Square Pegs. He made an on-screen appearance (as the janitor) in the Square Pegs episode where Devo played Muffy Tepperman's party. He said Devo was, "too loud."
Posted: Jun 2, 2007 3:46 am

on-screen appearance (as the janitor) in the Square Pegs episode where Devo played Muffy Tepperman's party

Hands down. The winner.
Posted: Jun 2, 2007 3:53 am

I found out last week that my father had a cousin who was a ball turret gunner in WWII. He did 21 missions. It makes me proud to know that I had a cousin once removed who put his ass on the line to put a stop to National Socialism...
Posted: Jun 2, 2007 3:55 am

He made an on-screen appearance (as the janitor) in the Square Pegs

my roommate wrote the titlew song for square pegs

my son was born two hours later and 30 blocks to the south from sarah jess P's baby boy
Posted: Jun 2, 2007 3:56 am

father had a cousin who was a ball turret gunner in WWII.

The Death of the Ball Turret Gunner

From my mother's sleep I fell into the State,
And I hunched in its belly till my wet fur froze.
Six miles from earth, loosed from its dream of life,
I woke to black flak and the nightmare fighters.
When I died they washed me out of the turret with a hose.

-- Randall Jarrell
Posted: Jun 2, 2007 3:59 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

ball turret gunner

One of the best poems ever comes from Randall Jarrell.

edit: Michael Baker said it.
Posted: Jun 2, 2007 4:10 am

Well my cousin once removed died of old age...
Posted: Jun 2, 2007 4:11 am

Pretty ruthless job, though. Much respeck.
Posted: Jun 2, 2007 4:11 am

Well my cousin once removed died of old age...

she go down on any gangsters or members of the philharmonic?

if not...
Posted: Jun 2, 2007 4:12 am

she go down on any gangsters or members of the philharmonic?

if not...

That's wasted on me...
Posted: Jun 2, 2007 5:52 am

had an uncle at pearl harbor, got blown into the water and when they dragged him out his brown hair had turned snow white.

supposed to be related to elvis, not sure but the strains of hillbilly in both our families run deep
Posted: Jun 2, 2007 6:39 am

I have an uncle chub a cousin patches a cousin pork and an aunt tootie. Uncle chub was busted by the feds in the 70's for having the largest cock fighting ring in Washington state.
Posted: Jun 2, 2007 9:05 am

In high school, I used-a hang out and smoke buds with a direct descendant of Mark Twain. He was a pretty fruity fellow (sentimental, poetic), to be certain.

I once went to his house and knocked on the door: knocked, knocked, knocked, no answer. I stood up on my toes and peered through the window at the top, and saw there was an adult film playing on the television. He finally answered, exasperated, and swore he was not masturbating. Definitely not masturbating to pornography, was the great-great-something-grandchild of the man who wrote The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

I think someone told me he now lives in Chicago but damned if that kid wasn't a fruitcake.
Posted: Jun 2, 2007 3:05 pm

My great great great Uncle General Irwin McDowell on my maternal side lost the battle of Bull Run twice.
Jacklyn Zeman aka Bobbie Spencer on General Hospital some sort of cousin relation.
There might be others but nobody tells me anything.

My famous school connections: went to High School with Ween
Posted: Jun 2, 2007 3:39 pm | Edited by: Alisa

Don't know how I totally forgot this (was reminded after reading that fabulous explanation of how the hamburger came to be) but my grandfather opened the very first counter service BBQ joint (ala Topps, Paynes, etc.) in Memphis, the Pig-Pen. Mother bottled BBQ sauce at 5 cents a bottle to pay for her prom dress.
When he died his obituary was headlined "ALLEN CRUMP - BARBEQUE MAN"
Posted: Jun 2, 2007 4:41 pm

i went to school in Faulkner County (no relation)
Posted: Jun 2, 2007 5:13 pm

santa (my dad's brother)
Posted: Jun 3, 2007 12:47 am

I guess it all depends on how you define famous...

Jumpertown, MS is named after my great great grandfather - Keenum Stadium in Booneville is named after my grand uncle's family- he was the superintendent of Cobb County Schools in Atlanta for a long time I think...

I am somehow related to Bobby Hurley - which will mean nothing to anyone who wasn't a late eighties/early nineties basketball fan. Whatever happened to that guy?

My biological father sang a couple of times on the Lawrence Welk show. But I've never seen the footage.
Posted: Jun 3, 2007 1:02 am

I am somehow related to Bobby Hurley

Cry baby Hurley! Thats funny. I hate Duke.

Whatever happened to that guy?

He never went to the NBA, I can tell you that much.
Posted: Jun 3, 2007 1:20 am

He never went to the NBA, I can tell you that much.

sure he did

got into a car crash ending a 6-7 yr career

i hate duke too but he went to a legendary HS a few blocks from the school i teach at--his pops was the coach

URL
Posted: Jun 3, 2007 1:22 am

Actually...

Hurley was selected by the Sacramento Kings as the 7th pick in the 1993 NBA Draft. While returning home following a game in December of his rookie season, Hurley's pickup truck was slammed into by a reckless driver by the name of Daniel Wieland, a house painter by trade. Having not worn a seat belt, Hurley was thrown from his truck and suffered life-threatening injuries. He returned to the NBA for the 1994-1995 season, and played four more years beyond that. After retiring, Hurley went on to become a thoroughbred racehorse owner and breeder. He was also hired as a scout by the Philadelphia 76ers in 2003, and has expressed coaching aspirations. Currently, Hurley is a middle school basketball coach at Pine Crest School in Fort Lauderdale
Posted: Jun 3, 2007 2:07 am

My great great great Uncle General Irwin McDowell on my maternal side lost the battle of Bull Run twice.
Also famous for eating an entire watermelon at one sitting and proclaiming:"That was monstrous fine!"
Posted: Jun 3, 2007 3:35 pm

Also famous for eating an entire watermelon at one sitting and proclaiming:"That was monstrous fine!"

That explains so much.
Posted: Jun 3, 2007 11:11 pm

i'm related to marcus aurelius. i think that's pretty bad-ass
Posted: Jun 4, 2007 12:02 am

My gramps sent the first US monkeys to space (that came back alive)
http://www.nafts.net/images/Ships%20pics/ATF/Kiowa/Kiowa513z1.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Baker.jpg

The Amazing Criswell
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amazing_Criswell

and supposedly one of the Tokens
Posted: Jun 4, 2007 12:03 am

Justine & Jason Bateman... and Jefferson Davis.
Posted: Jun 4, 2007 3:20 am

General Joseph Hooker, Civil War general for the Union. not sucha great general, but an excellent carouser.
Posted: Jun 4, 2007 4:30 am

Francis Scott Key, Jim Lovell, Guy who patented Gyro
Posted: Jun 6, 2007 7:25 pm

I'm related to this guy. He's like the Captain Kangaroo of Chile. He married my mom's cousin, who herself was Chile's representative at the Miss World contest in 1968. Great people.

http://www.misschileworld.co.uk/Historia.html
Posted: Jun 6, 2007 7:48 pm

CHARLES LINDBERGH. AND I GUESS HIS DEAD BABY TOO.
Posted: Jun 6, 2007 8:12 pm

He's like the Captain Kangaroo of Chile.
Damn I miss XUXA.
Posted: Jun 7, 2007 4:07 pm

Boris Karloff
Posted: Jun 7, 2007 5:34 pm

the clantons
Posted: Jun 7, 2007 5:46 pm

Boris Karloff
There was some guy in town here who was Lon Chaney, Jr's grandson or something.
Posted: Jun 7, 2007 5:54 pm

He isn't famous...yet...but I did find my 15 year old cousin on the MYSPACE today and here is his description that he gave of himself.

um, im 15 i live in mapleton utah i love to skate. i have a fro and everyone always touches it. i love like post hardcore or whatever and rock and punk and everything but i cant stand country or pop, the used was probably my favorite band but as always they changed and are not as cool anymore. and some others are , senses fail, dream theater, underOATH, red hot chilli peppers, my chemical romance(but their new stuff is gay) nirvana, and tons more. idk i like lots of music. and no that doesnt mean that i just know nothing about it so im saying that! i also play the drums. and i hate stereotypes and groups and all that gay stuff. its just pointless and makes ppl feel like crap. and i hate it when ppl judge other ppl when they have no idea who they are too. that pisses me off. i also hate when fags make fun of like poor ppl and stuff. that is so fricked up. they are no different from each other. the only difference is money. also girls who are skinny and all "oh im so fat! im ugly!" u just want attention and everyone knows it. look at the poor girls that really are fat and have no friends and ugly and stuff. id like to see them one day in their position. yea there is lots of stuff i hate in this life. but there is even more that i love. like girls and music and friends and stuff. everyone should enjoy life. no matter how bad it gets. too many ppl are on prozack when they dont need it. just deal with it the normal way. emos.
Posted: Jun 7, 2007 7:07 pm | Edited by: queenothetwist

Who cares? Let's see those Playboy pictures from October 1973.

okay, i found the magazine at a garage sale today for a buck. I'll post soon
Posted: Jun 7, 2007 7:09 pm

emos.
yeah.
Posted: Jun 7, 2007 7:20 pm | Edited by: queenothetwist

http://flickr.com/photos/queenothetwist/534815528/

apparently she hates dieting and smog. Thanks, Linda.
Posted: Jun 7, 2007 7:29 pm

I'm somehow related to Milwaukee legend Dick Bacon.

Voted "Milwaukeean of the Year" and "Best Local Character" by readers of the Shepherd Express the year he died, Dick Bacon was a tireless lobbyist for a nude beach in Milwaukee, a year-round lakefront fixture, a nude model at Milwaukee colleges, a supporter of Milwaukee public television and the American Heart Association, and a retired Pabst employee.

Crowned during the seventies as "Mr. Nude America," "Mr. Nude Apollo," and "Mr. Nude Galaxy," Dick Bacon fought unsuccessfully to save Paradise Beach (north of the water filtration plant on North Lincoln Memorial Drive), Milwaukee's clothing-optional beach. The beach was officially closed in 1993.
Posted: Jun 7, 2007 7:32 pm

Justine & Jason Bateman

Really? Just re-watched Arrested Development last night. Love both of them... not to mention their work on Silver Spoons and Family Ties, respectively.

I thought someone woulda said this cause it seems pretty common, but I guess I'm related to Thomas Jefferson. Also, my aunts can trace our family back to essentially the Mayflower and Jamestown. I also have a distant relative that in the 1700's was hung in the town square for treason but he didn't die, so they let him live, and the rest of his life he spent with his neck bent sideways. Pretty exciting!
Posted: Jun 8, 2007 2:00 am

Doesn't anyone want to congratulate jerrd on having a hot mom?
Posted: Jun 8, 2007 2:04 am

n the treacherous winter of 1777-78, George Washington's troops were freezing and starving at their encampment at Valley Forge. Oneida Chief Skenandoah and several other Oneidas carried 600 bushels of corn to aid their colonial allies.
Posted: Jun 8, 2007 3:47 am

duh. everybody knows that.
Posted: Jun 8, 2007 6:06 am | Edited by: Goner Rhea

my aunts can trace our family back to essentially the Mayflower

could bowie and d diggler be related?!?!?

http://www.goner-records.com/board/index.php?action=vthread&forum=4&to pic=23203&page=0#msg314633
Posted: Jun 8, 2007 7:49 am

I've been told that I'm somehow related to jazz singer Helen Merrill (kinda distant apparently but from the same family with the last name) which I guess then means I'm related to Alan Merrill-the guy who was in Vodka Collins and also wrote "I Love Rock-n-Roll". Most of the older people in my family are dead and gone. I should go visit the last aunt with her wits about her and get the rest of the story.
Posted: Jun 8, 2007 8:08 am

mom's side of the family are descendants of sir francis drake. that count?
Posted: Jun 8, 2007 9:39 am

descendants of sir francis drake. that count?
It counts more than living upstairs from someone is vaguely related to someone vaguely notable.
Posted: Jun 8, 2007 4:34 pm

my uncle is Brian Eno
Posted: Jun 8, 2007 5:05 pm

that is cool as shit.
Posted: Jun 8, 2007 6:54 pm

One of the guys on the crew of the Enola Gay (plane that dropped the first A-bomb) was my second cousin.

That's weird. I went to high school and was friends with the son of R. Lewis, co-pilot on Enola Gay. His son spent a couple stretches in jail for violent assault. His father went a little haywire after the fall-out because he really didn't know what they were doing to Hiroshima until they started seeing the pictures. I think that somehow travelled down the family line because his son was a psychopath.

Famous relatives - my grandmother was adopted in Berlin by the Baileys from Barnum & Bailey circus. Not a blood relation so it doesn't really count I guess.

One time in the 80s my cousin got drunk with Christopher Atkins, star of The Blue Lagoon and The Pirate Movie. That's my most crucial brush with fame.
Posted: Jun 8, 2007 7:39 pm

my aunts can trace our family back to essentially the Mayflower

Sam Soule too.
Posted: Jun 8, 2007 7:51 pm

my uncle is Brian Eno

we can stop now. that rules
Posted: Jun 8, 2007 8:05 pm

Mu uncle played bass for Ike and Tina. All his stories are from the road, so I don't know if he's on any of the albums.
Posted: Jun 11, 2007 1:58 am

baker, nope. different school. same class, pierre was a angular hair computer nerd. now he looks like he can afford a stylist. a stylish billionaire computer nerd.

our rivals: iolani.

weird

i worked all last week side by side with teacher from iolani
Posted: Jun 11, 2007 3:31 am

banned wrote:

Yeah, something about how 99% of them are full of shit.
Posted: Jun 11, 2007 4:00 am

its a different brian eno
Posted: Jun 11, 2007 6:32 pm

Mu uncle played bass for Ike and Tina.

hot
hookorcrook
Posted: Jun 11, 2007 7:13 pm

Anyone ever rented the DVD of 'Capturing the Friedmans' and watched the extra stuff? My cousin who lives in NYC was featured prominently in the extra interviews as the girlfriend of the weird clown guy. I guess that is famous. I totally freaked out when I saw her and wrote her a long email about it. She never replied.

the brother who wasn't in the movie, seth, was the IT guy for 5 years at my old job. he was also the guy who did Factsheet 5.

My grandpa was a cinematographer and during the 70s worked in TV on such shows as the Waltons, M.A.S.H., Fantasy Island and Square Pegs. He made an on-screen appearance (as the janitor) in the Square Pegs episode where Devo played Muffy Tepperman's party. He said Devo was, "too loud."

And Gina's grandfather who said Devo was too loud was my grandmother's boyfriend in high school and then again like 50 years later at the time of his death. A long, weird story.

relatives: Some guy who was on Dallas and GARY PUCKETT of GP and the Union Gap.
Posted: Jun 11, 2007 7:47 pm

Meriwether Lewis, of Lewis and Clark, on my father's side.
Posted: Jun 11, 2007 11:48 pm

John Michael McCarthy and I are brothers, which means we're both related to William Westmoreland, who was grandad's cousin. The vast majority of Americans have no idea who William Westmoreland was, a fact that points to why we're losing in Iraq.
Posted: Jun 12, 2007 1:01 am

my dad was on martha stewart once. not one decided to inform me until like 3 years after the fact.
Posted: Jun 12, 2007 1:24 am

i was on the cover of maximumrocknroll with the zeros
Posted: Jun 12, 2007 7:02 am

We are not related, but W.'s my asshole
Posted: Jun 12, 2007 7:30 am

The vast majority of Americans have no idea who William Westmoreland was, a fact that points to why we're losing in Iraq.

hey........i know who these famous warriors of yore are! my first civil disobediences were anti-vietnam war sit ins
Posted: Jun 12, 2007 7:41 am

my ex's old man was a national guardsman who sprayed hippies with a firehose during the late 60s...
Posted: Jun 12, 2007 1:52 pm

The vast majority of Americans have no idea who William Westmoreland was, a fact that points to why we're losing in Iraq.

hey........i know who these famous warriors of yore are! my first civil disobediences were anti-vietnam war sit ins

Right on! And I should add to my earlier post: "...why we're IN and losing in Iraq."
Posted: Jun 12, 2007 2:41 pm

A dude I used to hang out w/ old man smoked pot w/ Jessie "The Mind" Ventura...
Posted: Jun 12, 2007 3:37 pm

i did coke with akronite angie everheart

i smoked dope with brian sipe, clevo qb

i smoked dope with heavyweight champ of the world akronite michael dokes

i shroomed with some people one night and when dawn broke we went to a park and threw boomerangs and i could not get the image of digital mutilation from road warrior out of my hesitant head
Posted: Jun 12, 2007 3:41 pm

boomerangs boomerangs

the great r serra
Posted: Jun 12, 2007 3:43 pm

Posted: Jun 12, 2007 4:43 pm | Edited by: Miss Faye

apparently she hates dieting and smog. Thanks, Linda.

Holy crap, that's her! That's not the pic I've seen though. The other one had her on some kind of yak with peacock feathers trailing behind her and a star stuck in the middle of her forehead. It accompanied an article on mythology. Awesome.

Oh, and she still hates dieting and smog.
Posted: Jun 12, 2007 6:49 pm

Gramma was direct Hatfield relative. McCoys suck. (not the band, but, terrible name, derringer.)

Eric, you mean to tell me we're blood?! My grandma was on the Hatfield side of that feud.

Then on my dad's side, I'm a direct relative of Daniel O'Connell the "Liberator" of Ireland and member of the Irish Parliament in which alot of the main streets in the major cities over there are named O'Connell Street with a statue of him in the center.
Posted: Jun 12, 2007 10:33 pm

Doesn't anyone want to congratulate jerrd on having a hot mom?

WHOA! That's Miss Fayes mom. Every time I've seen her it's been with her clothes on. I'm surprised she doesn't have the 70's bush going. Interesting.

My mom has alzheimers and lives in a nursing home. She probably tells people that was her though.
Posted: Jun 14, 2007 6:09 pm

I knew we had something in common.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®