Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Black Sabbath’s Iommi tops guitar list
moody prick
Posted: Feb 4, 2004 4:10 am

Was there ever any doubt?

"According to Guitar World magazine, the No. 1 metal guitarist is Tony Iommi, the God-fearing axeman with pioneering English heavy metal band Black Sabbath."

"According to Guitar World editor-in-chief Brad Tolinski, the criteria for the list were purity and innovation. He said Iommi never strayed from a basic formula of B-tuned guitars played very loudly, plenty of power chords and slower rhythms.

“He’s essentially the guy that created most of the conventions for heavy metal,” Tolinski said. Iommi’s “shining moment” is the track “Warning” from the band’s self-titled 1970 debut album, according to the poll.

TheHornyHippie
Posted: Feb 4, 2004 4:33 am

Dig Black Sabb axeslinger but my allegiance lies with the mightee Michael Schenker on UFO's Strangers in the Night live lp - abbalooby smokin'! His work on the Scorps Lovedrive twasn't too shabby either.
Jack White
Posted: Feb 4, 2004 8:32 am

Richie Blackmore
TheHornyHippie
Posted: Feb 4, 2004 11:27 am

'Space Truckin' always gets me high.
Uli Roth on IN TRANCE and VIRGIN KILLER.
Paul Leary on LOCUST ABORTION TECHNICIAN and HAIRWAY TO STEVEN.
Eddie Van Halen on VAN HALEN 1.
Ace Frehley on ALIVE 1 and ALIVE 2(esp. 'Shock Me').
Matthias Jabs on ANIMAL MAGNETISM and BLACKOUT.
Hanneman and King of SLAYER(esp. live)
Downing and Tipton of PRIEST(fave='British Steel")
Alex Lifeson(esp. CARESS OF STEEL and MOVING PICTURES)
Marc Bolan
Buckethead
Mick Ronson
Jimi (SpaceChild) Hendrix
SAMBEAUX
Posted: Feb 4, 2004 5:34 pm

British Steel???
nickg
Posted: Feb 4, 2004 8:07 pm

marc bolan is a metal guitarist?
nickg
Posted: Feb 4, 2004 8:08 pm

*was*
schmatt
Posted: Feb 4, 2004 10:06 pm

what is the deal with Buckethead? Like who is he and stuff?
SonicG
Posted: Feb 5, 2004 8:03 am

I dunno, I think he's an odd choice since most HM geetarists after him (after his 'peak'- the first 4-5 Sab disks) ignored him. It must have something to do with the coming of Stoner and maybe those nu-metal jokers tuning down a step. I mean, early Sab is fine but aren't his solos fairly rudimentary, having something to do with his missing pinky??
TheHornyHippie
Posted: Feb 5, 2004 10:22 am

British Steel - oh yee: the riff on 'breaking the law' rules - who hasn't sung along to 'living after midnight'? - and 'grinder' will crush yer sac like Halford cruising for peep on a hot Phoenix nite!

Ok, Marc Bolan might be best described as "metallic".

Buckethead is a blast live - check his playing out on PRAXIS - Transmutation for a sah-weet kick to the lobes.

SAMBEAUX
Posted: Feb 5, 2004 5:44 pm

British Steel is a good pop album but dude, if you don't own:
Sad Wings of Destiny
Sin After Sin
Stained Class
go out and buy them immediately. They've got something for everyone.

I know all about Grinder...
And how it crushes sacs.
"Never bait the man trap!"

TheHornyHippie
Posted: Feb 6, 2004 5:55 am

DudeChevSki - I vibe on the cock'n' roll of those three but Hell Bent For Leather(the MANALISHI!) and BS always get me to wadd up!
Posted: Aug 6, 2015 5:40 pm

And to think had it not been for Django Reinhardt there may not have been a Black Sabbath.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®