Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Detroit Cobras Tied and True
Posted: May 24, 2007 10:29 pm

Anyone heard their new record yet???

If so what are your thoughts?
Posted: May 24, 2007 11:26 pm | Edited by: jamie

I like it. Pretty much sounds like the rest of their stuff, maybe a little more mainstream "rockish" than old soul. I wouldn't run out to buy it though. My girlfriend loves them and bought it.

I know they're not many people who care for them on the Goner Board.
Posted: May 25, 2007 9:13 am

fuck people on the goner board.
I like listening to the detroit cobras, but I've heard multiple anecdotes (most first-hand) that point to the band being a bunch of dicks.

Haven't heard the new one.
Posted: May 25, 2007 9:25 am

I'm throwing my hat into the ring to produce their next record. A true down-home blues thing.
Posted: May 25, 2007 9:57 am

I like listening to the detroit cobras, but I've heard multiple anecdotes (most first-hand) that point to the band being a bunch of dicks.
Im one of them! Rachel is is snotty bitch(period).
Posted: May 25, 2007 10:19 am

I don't really like the band, but that smokin' singer chick always has the best pot. Kudos to her for both.
Posted: May 25, 2007 10:22 am

too bad you cant OD on that shit.
Posted: May 25, 2007 10:24 am

too bad you cant OD on that shit.

BC, I take it that she's not getting a Christmas card from you this year.
Posted: May 25, 2007 10:25 am

I don't think she'll ever kiss & tell, but I think Carol Schumacher breathed a sigh of relief when she quit playing with them.
Posted: May 25, 2007 10:44 am

Carol Schumacher
she's playing on the new record

thought the cd was short and they be gettin' thin on 6ts soul songs to cover.

I'd put the DC in right field
Mary W in center
and you pick it in left
Posted: May 25, 2007 11:46 am

I have heard from people that know them well that their reputation on the Goner Board is not true. I have never met them other than seeing them at a show, so I can't say either way.
Posted: May 25, 2007 4:58 pm

Detroit Cobras suck....the originals of EVERY song they cover kicks the living shit out of their versions....their version of "Nothing But a Heartache" actually made me angry.
Posted: May 25, 2007 5:30 pm

They did "Nothing But a Heartache" too??? Before or after the Now Time Delegation?
Posted: May 25, 2007 5:34 pm

isn't this argument tired by now?
Posted: May 25, 2007 5:34 pm

their version of "Nothing But a Heartache" actually made me angry.

To be fair, nobody has ANY business covering that song.
Then again, maybe that's why you were angry. . .
Posted: May 25, 2007 6:12 pm | Edited by: Joe

o be fair, nobody has ANY business covering that song.
Then again, maybe that's why you were angry. . .

I don't know- the Now Time Delegation version was pretty solid. In fact, that whole record is good. Never heard/knew the Cobras did that too, though.

I generally just don't really care about the Detroit Cobras. Yeah, so they're dicks. Who isn't? Their music isn't particularly exciting to my ears, but I guess it's not the worst either. Zzzzzzzzzzz.
Posted: May 25, 2007 6:29 pm

Them girls have never been anything but nice to me. Must be 'cause I'm so handsome.

You ugly guys deserve to get cut.

New LP is great and they can cover whatever they want.
Everybody always hates on whoever got there first

would like to hear them do an all Motown disc however
Posted: May 25, 2007 6:44 pm

This band is as boring & pointless as the concept behind it. They pick good covers & she can sing but the whole shebang is entirely unecessary. Track down the originals, none that I've heard have been surpassed by DC. And that's just the records, their live show is a total snooze.
Posted: May 25, 2007 7:00 pm

First record is still great.
Posted: May 25, 2007 7:02 pm

and the first couple 7"s
Posted: May 26, 2007 10:10 pm

"Nothing But a Heartache" actually made me angry
yeah, it's real hard these days to do a great northern soul classic. their uk fans proly dug it though
Posted: May 26, 2007 10:11 pm

Motown disc however
track of my tears (include the chimes)
Posted: May 26, 2007 10:47 pm | Edited by: Vinyl Ritchie

"Nothing But a Heartache" actually made me angry
yeah, it's real hard these days to do a great northern soul classic. their uk fans proly dug it though

but, "NBAH" is so perfectly arranged, efficient...practically a perfect song..it would be SO easy to make a tough rock n roll song out of it, it wouldnt be better than original, but a good rock song...but somehow the Detroit Cobras semed to drain every ounce of power and beauty out of it and made it a brittle, fragile hunk a shit
Posted: May 27, 2007 1:05 am

i don't get this band at all. The time I saw them (probably 5 years ago) they made the mistake of following the Reigning Sound
Posted: May 29, 2007 9:10 pm

Track down the originals,
I'm sure you heard all the originals before they covered 'em, eh?

and to think people make fun of Vince Lombardi....
Posted: May 29, 2007 9:29 pm

Track down the originals,
I'm sure you heard all the originals before they covered 'em, eh?

Well THEY obviously heard them all before they covered them, why should it be so hard to figure out that other people might now the same stuff? Some people listen to old music almost exclusively. Can you believe it?
Posted: May 29, 2007 9:34 pm

The Detroit Cobras taught Bazooka Joe everything he knows...They took him under their wing on their first American tour back in '86...
Posted: May 29, 2007 9:36 pm

I was in the 7 th grade. my mom wouldn't let me leave the neighborhood.
Posted: May 29, 2007 10:17 pm

Everybody always hates on whoever got there first

you're joking right? There were a bazillion frat and garage bands doing this type of thing 40-odd years ago...what exactly are the Cobras pioneers of?
Posted: May 29, 2007 10:37 pm

what exactly are the Cobras pioneers of?

I am the pioneer of FUNK!
Posted: May 29, 2007 11:37 pm

what exactly are the Cobras pioneers of

I can't think of a relatively known post '77 band that covered R&B oldies excloo in a rocked-up way until the DC's came around. There may have been some local acts, but not in Detroit, at least. shit, it was a big deal to hear a cover of Jackie Wilson's "Whispers"

C'mon .... even you putative swingers have to admit they seemingly pulled some of those covers out of .... a hat. The Mysterians cover on Tangerine, ferchristsakes? Davis Jones & the Fenders? 99 and 1/2, NOT Pickett's?

the 'garage' bands all covered the same tunes the Rolling Stones did - we had to look to England to get our music back.

also, the point is that they've been successful with it, or as much as they want to be. so go and get green, green bay

What i do agree with is the incredeeebley huge number of ignoramuses who don't know that those are covers, incl. a majors A&R rep i met once at a DC's show who was there to "research signing potential" hawhaw
she had just moved to Detroit from Athens, GA. more haw
Posted: May 30, 2007 7:06 am

the 'garage' bands all covered the same tunes the Rolling Stones did

That's a hasty generalization to say the least. When's the last time the Rolling Stones covered "Hey Joe" or "Little Red Book"?
Posted: May 30, 2007 8:05 am

Or T Rex
Posted: May 30, 2007 11:07 am

Or Charles Nelson Reilly?
Posted: May 30, 2007 11:38 am

you're joking right

how many bands still imitate the Green daze?

Meg, I been hearing bands imitate the White strips lately..

and tell us if you get a photo shoot in Maxim
Posted: May 30, 2007 9:34 pm

you know, i think detroit cobras records are great for playing at a party when no one wants to DJ (fat chance on that... considering my friends).
Posted: May 30, 2007 9:42 pm

Las Vegas Grind.
Posted: May 30, 2007 10:09 pm

They might not be that exciting, but I'm going anyway when they play my town in August, because I need something to do.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®