Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / philly record stores
Posted: May 23, 2007 2:25 am

any cool record stores and/or places to check out in philly? im going there tomorrow or the day after. THANKS.
Posted: May 23, 2007 3:19 am

I want to know, I will be there for all of July.
Posted: May 23, 2007 1:48 pm

YES! I have gotten great stuff in philly. Since siltbreeze is there I found a bunch of long out of print Dead C records and bardo ponds first record for like 4 dollars each.

Philadelphia record exchange is the big one and then there's some little hipper one around there that sold good used stuff. I don't know if they are still open since I haven't been there in nearly 6 years.
Posted: May 23, 2007 2:26 pm

Is 3rd St. Jazz & Rock still there??
Posted: May 23, 2007 3:12 pm

3rd St. Jazz & Rock is long gone, unfortunately. I remember going in there once when I was a kid, seeing a bunch of handpainted Saturn albums and thinking, "Weird." Someday I'm gonna go back in time and buy up all those damn records.
Posted: May 23, 2007 3:30 pm

I haven't been there in over a year, anyhow it depends on what you are looking for. if it is just general stuff just walk down south st and there are a few but from about 6th thru 3rd there are stores just off south. the only two i can think of off the top of my head are noise pollution and record exchange, but there are more down there.

at 9th & catherine is a good store, i think it is run by one of the guys who was in the strapping fieldhands. you should head over there anyhow cause 9th & christian is the italian market. anyhow, he specializes in older country, i think, but also soul and used to have some decent psych.

Once i was in there and i saw a man in near hysterics because another guy, neither one working there, had a deep purple bootleg video and wouldn't loan it to him, which he desperately needed to see, apparently.

i don't know about west or north philly but there are great thrift stores in the north.

there is probably a thread on here somewhere about philly in general.
Posted: May 23, 2007 6:34 pm

the italian market is the best thing about philly, next to wawa
Posted: May 23, 2007 9:31 pm

Two words, gang: BEAUTIFUL WORLD

I spent three hours in there, left with maybe a dozen records and only spent $38 but it was totally worth it. They are buying whole collections constantly and carry everything. The place is a madhouse with lots of turnover--make it your first stop as it blows Noise Pollution and Philly Rec Ex out of the water.

1619 East Passyunk (where it crosses 11th and Tasker in South Philly)
215 467 0401

-Ryan
Posted: May 24, 2007 11:23 pm

beautiflu world is good!
sharkey works there on sundays.
then go to PATS STEAKS!
get a cheeze wiz wit!
then have diarrhea!
totally wortth it
and dont go to to genos
cuz they suck!
Posted: May 25, 2007 6:03 pm

On no 3rd street is gone? Damn.
Try AKA Music on 2nd

You could head also head up north on I-95 and stop over in New Hope I believe Now & Then and Spinsters are still and New Hope is just really neat. They have some good finds. But if you are carless take the Train to Siren in Doylestown and if you are really feeling like record shopping check out Princeton Record Exchange in Princeton or Vintage Vinyl in New Brunswick say hi to George!

That's all I remember.
Posted: May 25, 2007 7:15 pm

I can't speak from first-hand experience, but Val Shively's shop in Upper Darby is kinda legendary. There used to be an incredible video of the place up on Youtube, but it seems to be gone now.

I seem to recall hearing you have to make an appointment to check the place out, but...here's info I found online if you want to give it a go:

Val Shively's R&B Records
49 Garrett Road
Upper Darby, PA 19082

tel: 610-352-2320
fax: 610-352-8199
Proprietor: Val Shively
Founded: 1972

4 million 45 RPM's and thousands of LP's for sale.
Posted: Apr 8, 2009 11:56 pm

Any of the posts above still ring true?

I'm in Philly for a few days -- looking for fun besides the Art and Mutter museums.

record shops, bars, bookstores, etc.?
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 8:59 am

Haven't been to Philadelphia in several years but maybe this place is worth a look?:

http://tequilasunriserecords.com/
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 9:54 am

FYI - Crystal Stilts are playing tonight at Kung Fu Necktie.

Record Stores

AKA Records - 27 N. 2nd Street (Old City)

They got a handful of used.. mostly crap.. but tons of "New" stuff

Noise Pollution - 619 S 4th St (South Street Area)

A lot of crap, but if you ask to dig through the "New Wave" 45s (in boxes under used CDs) you'll probably find some great stuff for cheap. I've scored tons of early punk/post-punk singles like Magazine (first 3 singles), Colin Newman (A-Z singles), Wire, Gang Of Four etc... for like 5 bucks each

Philadelphia Record Exchange
- 618 S 5th St (South Street Area)

1,000,000 Records... you could dig for a long time. They usually know their shit, but I've got all kinds of stuff there for cheaps.

Repo Records - 538 South St (South Street Area)

I wouldn't recommend this place on it's own, but it's like a block to two blocks from the other stores. Goodish for new.. and I've gotten good stuff here. But can be PRICEY.. and for shit that isn't even worth it.

Tattooed Mom's - 530 South St

Philly's punk bar... stop in for a drink between shops

Long In The Tooth - 2027 Sansom Street (Rittenhouse Area)

RAD store. Always have tons of stuff. Totally unpretentious and rad staff. Nice Prices! (Last time I was here... I went to drop of fliers and walked out with a STACK of shit. Most notably a 13th Floor Elevators FLEXI of Red Crayola... for $5. What?

Beautiful World Syndicate - 1619 E Passyunk Ave (South Philly)

As everyone else said.... AWESOME store. On the same block as "Cantina" which has some killer Mexican (I lived in the Southwest for a decade). Also near the famous cheesesteak places (yuck!)

tequila sunrise - 525 w. girard avenue (Fishtown)

Out of the way-ish... but a really cool shop
Posted: Apr 9, 2009 9:55 am

Holy shit... Philly RULES!
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 11:08 am

Thanks gents!
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 11:51 am

damn, will be going sometime this summer. thanks for the tips!

oh yeah, we shold meet up. i'll punch you in the chest real fucking hard then buy you beer.
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 1:57 pm

damn, will be going sometime this summer. thanks for the tips!

oh yeah, we shold meet up. i'll punch you in the chest real fucking hard then buy you beer.

I may be coming out to that Magnetix show. You can donkeypunch me then!
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 2:02 pm

no shit? wow! be there. here!
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 2:43 pm

LUX INTERIOR
THE CRAMPS

TRIBUTE AND REMEMBRANCE

AN EVENING OF CRAMPSONG, ROCKNROLL, OBSCURITIES, VIDEOS AND SHARED MEMORIES

A SPECIAL MEMORIAL SERVICE
PERFORMED BY THE SICKIDZ

TRITONE
1508 SOUTH ST
PHILADELPHIA, PA

APRIL 26, 2009

9 PM

a portion of the nights proceeds will go to www.bestfriends.org in Lux's honor
Posted: Apr 11, 2009 6:23 pm

Made it to Long in the Tooth and Tequila Sunrise.

LitT was alright -- lots to dig through & I just had time for the recents.

Tequila Sunrise was pretty amazing, though. Hyper-organized (and mostly new) -- all organized by label -- (Mississippi, Numero, Norton were among the breakouts.) Most excited to spin the Arab female vocalist cd's that I found.

Oum Kalsoum!
Posted: Apr 12, 2009 2:50 pm

Rad!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®