Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: May 19, 2007 11:02 am

Tied for one of the best shit ever.
Posted: May 19, 2007 11:43 am

I'm a member of the Scottish Malt Whisky Society and will be visiting Islay, Scotland next month, which is an island with seven distilleries on it.
Posted: May 19, 2007 3:22 pm

Either the Cheater Slicks LP or the beverage, both rule.
Posted: May 19, 2007 3:22 pm

haing whiskey dick, not so much.
Posted: May 19, 2007 5:12 pm

which is an island with seven distilleries on it

sounds like Kentucky.
Posted: May 19, 2007 7:17 pm

Sounds like HEAVEN!
Posted: May 19, 2007 7:20 pm

I just drank 3 shots of bourbon!

because you ain't no alcoholic as long as you don't drink before noon,
now am I right, or am I RIGHT folks?!?!
Posted: May 19, 2007 8:55 pm

You ain't no alcoholic if you can hold a steady job...
Posted: May 19, 2007 9:01 pm

I'm on my way to work right now
Posted: May 19, 2007 10:13 pm

why is whiskey spelt different? for example on a Makers Mark bottle it's whisky.?mmmmmmmmmmmm Makers
Posted: May 19, 2007 11:45 pm

what if you held the job steady?
Posted: May 19, 2007 11:52 pm

there are plenty of hard working alcoholics out there. thats not to say you cant work up a mean mean thrist after a hard day of nothing much at all...
Posted: May 19, 2007 11:53 pm

Kneeling alongside old Sad Eyes
He says opportunity knocks once then the door slams shut
All I know is I'm sick of everything that my money can buy
The fool who wastes his life, God rest his guts
Posted: May 20, 2007 12:10 am

American and Irish whiskey uses the "whiskey" spelling while Scottish and Canadian whiskies retain the older form, "whisky."
Posted: May 20, 2007 12:31 am

I really like Bulleit bourbon. I don't get hungover even if I drink a mickey of it, and it tastes great. Hard to find in Canada unfortunately.
Posted: May 20, 2007 1:48 am

Alcoholics go to AA meetings. I'm a functional drunk.
Posted: May 20, 2007 3:10 am

I really like Bulleit bourbon.

The best bourbon for your dollar (or looney) on the market. Good straight, good in cocktails, good on the rocks. It seems like it has limited distribution though, because while it's widely available in Oregon, that don't seem to be the case most other places.

Interesting story, too. I guess the OG Bulleit was killed or died during an interstate delivery, and the family decided out of respect to retire the product if the founder wasn't gonna be around to be it's custodian. Fast forward a hundred and fifty odd years to the future, and one of his distant nephews or grandsons or something decides he wants to resurrect the family biz. The family at large makes him apprentice and go to business school and do all this shit before they hand over the coveted recipe, and voila, you got what you're drinking now. I think he started distilling in the late 80's or early 90's, so the stuff didn't actually come to market until a few years ago. Whew.
Posted: May 20, 2007 6:54 pm

I'm a member of the Scottish Malt Whisky Society and will be visiting Islay, Scotland next month

I had a bit of Lagavulin last night at a fancy bar...way over-priced but damn good stuff.
Posted: May 20, 2007 7:18 pm

why is whiskey spelt different? for example on a Makers Mark bottle it's whisky.?

I pondered this all last night.............................
Posted: May 21, 2007 1:45 am

I really like Bulleit bourbon.

The best bourbon for your dollar (or looney) on the market. Good straight, good in cocktails, good on the rocks. It seems like it has limited distribution though, because while it's widely available in Oregon, that don't seem to be the case most other places.

Interesting story, too. I guess the OG Bulleit was killed or died during an interstate delivery, and the family decided out of respect to retire the product if the founder wasn't gonna be around to be it's custodian. Fast forward a hundred and fifty odd years to the future, and one of his distant nephews or grandsons or something decides he wants to resurrect the family biz. The family at large makes him apprentice and go to business school and do all this shit before they hand over the coveted recipe, and voila, you got what you're drinking now. I think he started distilling in the late 80's or early 90's, so the stuff didn't actually come to market until a few years ago. Whew.

Just recently got hooked on Bulleit after picking up a bottle at a decent liquor store in Milwaukee. Used to stick to Maker's Mark, but after biting the Bulleit, I don't know if I'll ever go back!
Posted: May 21, 2007 3:05 am

why is whiskey spelt different? for example on a Makers Mark bottle it's whisky.?

Names and spellings

Whisky is an Anglicisation of the 17th century Irish uisce beatha (IPA: [ɪʃkʲə bʲahə]) meaning "water of life". The name itself may have originally derived from a Goidelic translation of the Latin phrase aqua vitae.

The spelling whisky (plural whiskies) is generally used for whiskies distilled in Scotland, Wales, Canada, and Japan, while whiskey is used for the spirits distilled in Ireland. A 1968 directive of the ATF specifies "whisky" as the official U.S. spelling, but allows labelling as "whiskey" in deference to tradition; most U.S. producers still use the latter spelling.

In the late Victorian era, Irish whiskey was the world's whiskey of choice. Of the Irish whiskeys, Dublin whiskeys were regarded as the grands crus of whiskeys. In order to differentiate Dublin whiskey from other whiskeys, the Dublin distilleries adopted the spelling "whiskey". The other Irish distilleries eventually followed suit. The last Irish "whisky" was Paddy, which adopted the "e" in 1966.

A mnemonic used to remember which spelling is used is that "Ireland" and "United States" have at least one "e" in their names, while "Scotland", "Canada" and "Japan" do not.

In many countries, the abbreviated term "Scotch" is sometimes used for "Scotch whisky".
Posted: May 21, 2007 3:09 am

mnemonic used to remember

Every Army Denounces God Before Encounter
The order of guitar strings
Posted: May 21, 2007 7:18 am

Every Acid Dealer Gets Busted Eventually
Posted: May 21, 2007 7:23 am

mnemonic used to remember

treble clef on the musical staff: Every Good Boy Deserves Favor
(also name of a moody blues album)

i use whisky because i have always spelled it that way, and the whisky i prefer is scots whisky.... not scotch or scotch whisky, because as a scotsman will tell you, its "scots" not "scotch."

although......i would not refuse a single malt scotch
Posted: May 21, 2007 3:18 pm

you don't spell it, you drink it!
Posted: May 21, 2007 4:39 pm

speaking of:

URL
Posted: May 21, 2007 5:56 pm

I gots-ta go witcher all on the Bulleit: many sing the praises of Buffalo Trace but I think the Bulleit gots it beat.

Regard:

http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/bulleit/whisky424.html

http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/buffalo_trace/whisky332.html

I'm more into Scotch -- bourbon is a bit too sweet -- specifically, Laphroaig, Lagavulin and Bruichladdich, all of which are distilled on Islay (pronounced "EYE-lah").

http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/laphroaig/

http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/lagavulin/

http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/bruichladdich/
Posted: May 21, 2007 6:09 pm

That thing in WhiskyMag.com says Bulleit is $30-40?! In Oregon, it's usually 19.95 (which is CHEAP for good booze).
Posted: May 21, 2007 6:33 pm

It's about 25 bucks in Wisconsin...
Posted: May 21, 2007 6:57 pm

it IS good. i got some for my brithday!
Posted: May 21, 2007 8:33 pm

"You'd better get yourself to an A.A. meeting before you wind up in the poorhouse Fraciene! You'd even drink gasoline if it came in a bottle!"
Posted: May 22, 2007 8:12 pm

Scotch sucks
awful awful
I love BBQ but do not want to drink BBQ whiskey
Posted: Jun 12, 2007 4:10 pm

Just recently got hooked on Bulleit after picking up a bottle at a decent liquor store in Milwaukee. Used to stick to Maker's Mark, but after biting the Bulleit, I don't know if I'll ever go back!

some people may not know this but I sell Bourbon for a living!!!! (and wine)

Makers and Bulleit are both good, bu two different things....Makers is a "wheated" bourbon, which makes it sweeter....Bulleit is a "high rye" which makes it spicier.....

The best bourbon for your dollar (or looney) on the market

I too like Bulleit, but the best bourbon on the market, dollar for dollar, is Very Old Barton....the 6yr, 86 proof, is awesome and half the price of Bulleit, or maybe even less.....
Posted: Jun 12, 2007 4:18 pm

(and wine)

what's yr specialty
Posted: Jun 14, 2007 3:23 am

The store I work at in Red Hook is famous for our selection of American Wisk(e)ys, Ryes and Bourbons....we also carry an extensive number of bitters, both aromatic and cocktail, and some idiosyncratic but affordable wines....

We just came out with our 2nd private bottling of "Red Hook Rye"...this years is 24 years old, barrel strength (132.8 proof) and it's not chill filtered, si it's got all the flava.....
Posted: Jun 14, 2007 7:04 am

I would very much like to try this Red Hook Eye mister Colbito.....where is this "store"?
Posted: Jun 14, 2007 1:23 pm

Do you work at LeNell's, colbito? I'm very glad that I'll soon be living within walking distance of the store again.
Posted: Jun 14, 2007 3:13 pm

barrel strength (132.8 proof)

goddamn.
Posted: Jun 14, 2007 3:14 pm

doesn't that mean it's like over 260% alcohol? is that poissible?
Posted: Jun 14, 2007 3:33 pm

That makes it 66.4% alcohol.
Posted: Jun 14, 2007 3:35 pm

oh yeah. duh.
Posted: Jun 14, 2007 3:49 pm

I'm off whiskey for a while after throwing up on myself late at night on the subway in Tokyo last weekend. A terrified-looking young girl handed me a tissue which was nice. 3500yen all you can drink plus 2 hours karaoke was kind of fun up until that point.
Posted: Jun 14, 2007 3:56 pm

how's the japanese food over there?
Posted: Jun 14, 2007 4:03 pm

I was really looking forward to onigiri and soba, but after eating it constantly for a few days I was really fucking sick of it. Vegan options in Japan are not great! When I lived there I could choose what to eat, but this time I was a visitor. However, I had some tasty Korean food, some great kaitenzushi, and a few interesting types of tofu such as edamame and sesame. The beer was good too- premium malts!
Posted: Jun 14, 2007 4:10 pm

well if you don't eat meat i don't really wanna know anyway. HIPPIE!
Posted: Jun 14, 2007 4:11 pm

WHISKEY RULES!
Posted: Jun 14, 2007 4:16 pm

You're a, a, a...
Posted: Jun 14, 2007 4:17 pm

Posted: Jun 14, 2007 5:07 pm

I always thought Rye whiskey was just some rot-gut, just for hobos shit but I like the Jim Beam Rye, you could stick some botique, small batch label on it and sell for twice as much...compare and save!
Posted: Jun 14, 2007 5:17 pm

Rittenhouse Bonded Rye....100 proof, delicious, same price as Beam Rye and Old Overholt, but better....
Posted: Jun 14, 2007 5:18 pm

i'll take two!
Posted: Jun 14, 2007 6:05 pm

too like Bulleit, but the best bourbon on the market, dollar for dollar, is Very Old Barton....the 6yr, 86 proof, is awesome and half the price of Bulleit, or maybe even less.....

I find Bulleit too vanilla-ish, or something, but it's still good for a sweet treat. I've been working on the Jim Beam Black lately. You can buy Knob Creek out here for $20 but the overproof thing is a killer unless I'm headed in that direction.

I'm going to pick up a bottle of Old Charter 13 year at $$$ but I don't think they sell Very Old Barton anywhere in these parts
Posted: Jun 15, 2007 12:05 am

Do you work at LeNell's, colbito? I'm very glad that I'll soon be living within walking distance of the store again.

YES!!!

i'll take two!

YES!!!

I'm going to pick up a bottle of Old Charter 13 year at $$$

That company also makes Elmer T. Lee, a bourbon named after and made by the old dude who created Blanton's.....it's yumriffic
Posted: Jul 2, 2007 8:44 pm

[img=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/ChromePolice/IMG_1352.jpg] Bruichladdich distillery, Isle of Islay ("EYE-lah"), Scotland[/img] (I'm the fat fuck in the Goner T)

Distillery tours are great! Not only do you get a free dram at the end but, if you act all interested like you're gonna buy somethin', you can usually weasel a few more drinks, as well.
Posted: Jul 2, 2007 8:44 pm

Posted: Jul 3, 2007 9:42 am

a very wise man once told me never to drink any whisk(e)y under 100 proof

I still hate scotch
Posted: Jul 3, 2007 11:28 am

ok so I decided to do a taste test

I rounded up Jack Daniels, Jack Daniels Single Barrel, Makers Mark, Knob Creek, Wild Turkey101,Crown Royal, and Woodford Reserve

I did shoys of each while watching Village of the Damned, eating Fritos and drinking newcastle beer as well

here's how they stacked up

Crown Royal and Knob Creek were the tops for me. I'm not sure which one was the standout there...I'm betting it depends on my disposition for the night

Wild Turkey 101 came in second for such a powerful drink its damn smooth.

Regular old Jack Daniels took third...all them rockers are right.

Makers Mark came in 4th...maybe my taste buds are too damn acute...I need something subtle.

Woodford Reserve was 5th...and this stuff is supposedly top notch expensive hooch...gasoline is expensive too.

Finally to round out the bottom of the barrel was Jack Daniels Single Barrel...that stuff must need to get blended to be good at all.

I did not judge Gentleman Jack, Bulleit, or Jim Beam Black (which I remember liking all of them...prolly with Bulleit in the lead of those three)

try your own taste test..I recommend it highly
Posted: Jul 3, 2007 1:50 pm

Just thinking about Crown Royal makes me gag.

Had to drink some cheap-ass Canuck blended bullshit the other day at a show. Ugh.
Posted: Jul 3, 2007 2:13 pm

"had to drink" HEE HAW!!!!
Posted: Jul 3, 2007 2:56 pm

I'll admit something: I like canadian whisky. however, it is something that should never be drank straight. maybe crown royal is ok, I don't roll like that. canadian club is more my speed.. but I do think it mixes better than bourbon. cc and soda, cc and ginger ale, 7 & 7's (7's & 7?), all very good drinks.
Posted: Jul 3, 2007 3:02 pm

Love our cat, Whiskey. Hate all brown liquors. Hate.
Posted: Jul 3, 2007 3:16 pm | Edited by: Mark Beef

it's not brown...it's golden
and yessir messer martel

cc and seagrams 7 are great mixed with ginger ale
also mix it with orange juice and amaretto for a pretty good taste treat as well
Posted: Jul 3, 2007 6:09 pm

Brown to me when compared to vodka...I guess the darkest I go is Sauza Hornitos.

I just get sickened by the Whiskey Smell.
Posted: Jul 3, 2007 6:13 pm

Hornitos.

i'm hornitos.
Posted: Jul 9, 2007 10:59 pm

All I have to say is that when it comes to whiskey I could probably outdrink anybody including Beef!
Jim Beam is my best friend, we sometimes hang out at Jamesons house, and my pet is an Old Crow!
MMMM.... Whiskey!
Posted: Jul 9, 2007 11:38 pm

which is an island with seven distilleries on it

sounds like Kentucky.

Note that scotches are distilled from barley (malted barley, i.e. single malts, blended malts, etc...) & US whiskies are from corn. Also, whiskey is like tequila & champagne, very region specific. Like scotch is from scotland & Irish whisky from Ireland, bourbon is supposed to be from Bourbon county. There's other stuff, too, like % sour mash, water's from a specific source, etc... I've had friends tell me that the Woodford Reserve distillery tour is amazing.

Whiskey & tequila have a few similarities. It's clear when it's new & it darkens up by drawing the color of the wood as it's aged in oak barrels. The product doesn't changed when bottled either. It's not like wine in when it's bottled, there's a recommended period to drink it. Whisky & tequila that's bottled today should be the same product whether it's opened in 10 days or 10 years.

All I have to say is that when it comes to whiskey I could probably outdrink anybody

Bragging or complaining?
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 2:20 am

neither, just stating an opinion. well, i take that back. i suppose im doing a bit of both being as though i havent been the same since the colostomy bag and all.
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 8:40 am

US whiskies are from corn
Bourbons have to be at least 51% corn, but there are Rye whiskys that have no corn in them....

bourbon is supposed to be from Bourbon county
False...bourbon has to be made in the US....presently it is made in Kentucky, Virginia, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Tennessee, Indiana and believe it or not New Jersey....
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 8:41 am

bourbon is supposed to be from Bourbon county
Oh...also New York and Wisconsin.....
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 9:23 am

there is a point to that though

the same way champagne is supposed to be made from the champagne grapes of champagne france

lots of people get hung up on semantics
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 4:58 pm

A friend told me he prefers Jack to Jim, that Beam makes him "violent". does anybody else have that reaction?

personally I never drink Jack, always Jim, but since he said that I've been noticing feeling "violent"
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 5:02 pm

A friend told me he prefers Jack to Jim, that Beam makes him "violent". does anybody else have that reaction?

hmmm... i had a friend who would always bring beam over so he could watch me do crazy shit. i don't think i did anything crazy on jd except for puke.
Posted: Jul 15, 2007 2:50 pm

I did a seven-day taste-test, ya wiener, distillery fresh.

Bruichladdich (Brook-LAD-dee) is the only Islay distillery that bottles its own shit on site, so that's totally punk rock.

Bruichladdich is Reatards; Jack Daniels is Billy Ray Cyrus.

Jim Beam is both Bocephus and GG.
Posted: Jul 15, 2007 3:00 pm | Edited by: michael baker

Bombay Sapphire Is Me
Posted: Jul 15, 2007 5:10 pm

Jack Daniels is Billy Ray Cyrus.

you forgot Van Halen
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®