Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / How the fuck can bands afford to tour with these prices?
Posted: May 15, 2007 6:22 pm

I filled up the gas tank this morning and that was all I could think about. Motorcycles perhaps?
Posted: May 15, 2007 7:20 pm

Camero Werewolf is building an engine that runs on McDonald's grease discards, he heard Darryl Hannah had one.
Posted: May 15, 2007 7:25 pm

Camero Werewolf is building an engine that runs on McDonald's grease discards,

So does Christopher Lloyd at the end of Back To The future.
Posted: May 15, 2007 7:26 pm

there's a dude who works at my afterwork bar who converted his truck to run on cooking grease, he gets it for free from a mexican restaurant on chicago ave.
Posted: May 15, 2007 7:32 pm

there's a dude who works at my afterwork bar who converted his truck to run on cooking grease, he gets it for free from a mexican restaurant on chicago ave.

I know somebody that's done that a few times. His truck is a diesel, but he can switch over to grease after the engine is warmed-up. Here's some info.
Posted: May 15, 2007 7:33 pm

I was thinking about this the other day, especially since the cover charge for a show really hasnt changed since the mid-80s (when gas was 75 cents a gallon) And folks STILL bitch about an evening of live entetainment for 5 bucks.
Posted: May 15, 2007 7:45 pm

Yeah, that whole 5 dollar rule has to be made obsolete...Fugazi ain't even around anymore.
Posted: May 15, 2007 7:49 pm

I just wrote this in another thread, but I'm pasting it again, just trying to help him out. Last time, then I'm done.

If you're in the Denver area...

A friend of mine converts cars with diesel engines to burn grease. Old jettas, new jeeps, work trucks, buses, old mercedes, even a tour van for a local band, you name it. Heck, he's working on converting a tractor for an organic farm. A conversion costs around $1000-1500. If you drive 10,000 miles per year and the vehicle get 20 mph, thats 500 gallons, or, assuming $3/gallon, you pay $1500 for gas each year. So, the conversion pays for itself in about year. Pretty sweet.

Most restaurants pay people to dispose of their grease, so they are happy to give away grease to individuals to put in cars, for free. I've always thoughts a van burning grease would be great for touring bands, since gas is one of the largest costs. Heck, it's great for anyone who doesn't mind getting a little grease on their hands every couple weeks. Plus, it pretty cool when your car's tailpipe smell like a chinese buffet.

Of course, you can still put regular diesel in the tank, or E85 or biodiesel.

If anyone is interested, I can give you contact info.
Posted: May 15, 2007 7:51 pm

His truck is a diesel, but he can switch over to grease after the engine is warmed-up.

yup, that's what he does.
Posted: May 15, 2007 7:52 pm

Yeah, there's a guy I know from my hometown who runs his car on grease. He gets it for free from a couple fast food joints there. Smells like french fries when he's cruising around!
Posted: May 15, 2007 7:53 pm

doesn't the grease from the restaurants have to be filtered/cleaned first?
Posted: May 15, 2007 7:56 pm

Yep. A filter can be incorporated into the fuel line. They cost about $10 and have to be replaced every few thousand miles. Or you can filter the grease before it goes in the tank.
Posted: May 15, 2007 8:02 pm

he has a couple 55 gallon drums and runs some tubing into a carbon filter, puts one on a workbench in his garage and lets gravity do it's thing.
Posted: May 15, 2007 8:03 pm

Of course, you can still put regular diesel in the tank, or E85 or biodiesel.

They're actually separate tanks, and you have to start it on diesel, and then switch over to grease.
Posted: May 15, 2007 8:03 pm

ive got it..Pedal Cars. OR Pedal touring vans..just take turns every few 100 miles. The future is in the pedal.
Posted: May 15, 2007 9:40 pm

Yeah, I've thought about this too. Esp. since I have a new record coming out.

the cover charge for a show really hasnt changed since the mid-80s (when gas was 75 cents a gallon) And folks STILL bitch about an evening of live entetainment for 5 bucks.

No shit!

I also love how the "new business paradigm" is that you give your music away free online, but it's okay because bands will make it up on t-shirt sales and touring. Ain't been nobody making money on tour for a long time, and now you can barely sell cds anymore.
Posted: May 16, 2007 1:19 am | Edited by: le chev

yeah! Biodiesel! but shhhhhh! the more people find out about it the more your groceries are gonna cost. I just take a bike provided it's a sane distance. Viz. >5 miles...
Posted: May 16, 2007 5:53 pm | Edited by: dale

Well, if anyone is on tour and needs a night to play sometime this summer I can probably hook ya up on 'round this podunk most nights (save for Saturday & Sunday)
Posted: May 16, 2007 6:32 pm | Edited by: banned

I've still never been to Port Huron. Neither has Psychedelic Horseshit.
Posted: May 16, 2007 6:39 pm

Now THAT would be a show I would want to see. I'm kind of on a fucked work schedule BUT a Wednesday or Thursday night would be ideal for me if you were enroute somewhere else...Ya guys doing some more shows together?

Have you heard about the Great Lakes tour idea? Escanaba, Marquette, Soo Ste Marie, St. Ignace, Traverse City, Petoskey etc...
Posted: May 16, 2007 9:03 pm

some gas station attendant almost had a heart attack when i told her that the 75 dollars used to pay for my gas was only 3/4's of a tank. my van is a monster and it only eats gasoline. i wish it ate bad drivers.
Posted: May 16, 2007 9:10 pm

I have heard of the Great Lakes tour idea, and I'd like to try it sometime.

Psychedelic Horseshit and Pink Reason have alot more touring to do togeather. We're gonna do a west coast tour togeather sometime in the future, and this August/September Matt and Rich are joining Pink Reason when we tour with Little Claw. Perhaps we can do something during that time. Otherwise, we'll just do a little weekday warrior shit up to visit and play.
Posted: May 16, 2007 9:22 pm | Edited by: deadcityrebel

so i guess bands can't afford to tour with gas prices. i don't know if we're going to make it back. ha!
Posted: May 16, 2007 9:27 pm

I have heard of the Great Lakes tour idea

The midwest was by far the highest gas prices on our tour. Even NYC and Boston were cheaper! The South was the cheapest.
Posted: May 16, 2007 9:32 pm

I was thinking about this the other day, especially since the cover charge for a show really hasnt changed since the mid-80s (when gas was 75 cents a gallon) And folks STILL bitch about an evening of live entetainment for 5 bucks.

yeah, i've often thought that cover needs to go up afew bucks, especially with out of town bands on the bill. seems as the COLA hasn't applied to the cover at the door in forever
Posted: May 16, 2007 10:23 pm

The South was the cheapest.
and it seems like texas is on the high average
Posted: May 16, 2007 10:33 pm

good thing California is downhill from Oregon.
Posted: May 17, 2007 6:08 am

They should make an engine that runs on vomit and body odor.
Washington state has some of the highest PETROL prices in the country.
That's why I haven't seen a good coked-up band from the Midwest BLOW thru town lately.
"We can't go on tour, that's BLOW money man.!"
Posted: May 17, 2007 6:43 am

Camero Werewolf is building an engine that runs on McDonald's grease discards, he heard Darryl Hannah had one.

ha! that's fabulous.....

other folks got to the bio diesel before i even got to this thread. willie nelson has been using it for a while and he's got several big ass trucks (semi's) in his entourage. can't remember where i read his interview... you can invest in that company. probably a good stock call if you are so inclined
Posted: May 26, 2007 6:21 am

The grease cars are bullshit cuz it's got to be a diesel engine...cuz diesel engines are so advanced, it's alot more expensive to have them worked on, and if you run out of gas you have to have air put back in the cylinders which is very costly as well. In the long run you might as well dish out an extra 10K for a hybrid.
Posted: May 26, 2007 6:24 am

i occasionally get to drive a prius around LA and its the best car i've ever driven (including my dream car - pre-1980 diesel mercedes ). i don't know why the manufacturers just don't make the hybrids more attractively priced. i must have gone 60 miles on a gallon
Posted: May 26, 2007 12:02 pm

Only tour downhill and coast.......another problem solved....hee haw!
Posted: May 26, 2007 3:56 pm

The grease cars are bullshit cuz it's got to be a diesel engine...cuz diesel engines are so advanced, it's alot more expensive to have them worked on, and if you run out of gas you have to have air put back in the cylinders which is very costly as well. In the long run you might as well dish out an extra 10K for a hybrid.

It's true that diesel engines cost more to have work done, and it's true that the system gets messed up if you run out of fuel. I don't think these are strong arguments against grease cars, however. Generally, a diesel engine lasts about twice as long as a gasoline engine, so I think this fact offsets higher repair costs. Second, as long as you pay attention to the fuel gauge, I don't think running out of gas is a big problem. Do people really run out of gas frequently? As long as you switch over to diesel from grease for a few minutes before turning off the engine, there shouldn't be a problem.

Right now, I think grease cars appeal to 2 types of drivers: those who don't have a lot of money, and are drawn to them by the idea of free fuel...and those who have money to spare, but like the idea of driving something unique or "green" and not using petroleum. So, for a lot of the potential users, spending and extra $10k on a hybrid might not be an option.
Posted: May 28, 2007 1:43 am

then theres ethanol. but it seems like its just as expensive right now.
Posted: May 28, 2007 2:10 am

I think the standard door price should be say for all local bands no more than five, if it\'s one touring band no more than 8, two touring bands no more than 12. Cars suck anyway, I use them as little as possible.
Posted: May 28, 2007 2:21 am

i think clubs should pay bands a guarantee, even if it means they have to dip into the bar's cash register. the bands draw people who drink and the profit margin is in the mark-up on the booze, and more... on the mixers... coca cola and club soda = 5 cents a serving IF that. if clubs and bars did this, admission could be kept lower, leaving more pocket money for drinking.

AND besides that, if you're in business to provide live music, paying the band is the cost of doing business and bitch about it all you want... its what you got into.
Posted: May 28, 2007 4:11 am

Yeah but it's not like bars are bringing in so much money on the drinks, liquor licence fees are a bitch, rent and paying employees, soundmen, insurance, it all adds up. I mean there is plenty of thing that a lot of clubs do to fuck over bands, but at the same time there are some that try their best to treat their bands, customers and employees well. Not to mention that most people at the go to punk shows get the cheapest beer there.
I'm just saying, I went out and bought 3 LP's and 3 7"'s today and it was 50 something dollars, I can't really bitch about a ten dollar show with a local, one band from chicago, and one from new york
Posted: May 28, 2007 4:43 am

Yeah but it's not like bars are bringing in so much money on the drinks, liquor licence fees are a bitch, rent and paying employees, soundmen, insurance, it all adds up.

its called the cost of doing business. one knows this (or should) when one opens a bar.

you have to go into business with your eyes open and crunch the numbers frequently. some days you have to take a loss.

i'm not talking out of my ass; i've booked my fair share of clubs and bars. there's no reason to fuck people over. the retribution is pretty instant.
Posted: May 28, 2007 4:52 am

I know you're not talking out of your ass, it's just that yeah the club should pay from the bar when they need to, but when the cost of doing buisness raises the door price a buck or two, I don't mind.
Posted: May 29, 2007 4:50 am

What's the big deal? Tool doesn't seem to have a problem.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®