Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / What's the best way to learn guitar?
Daneau
Posted: Jan 17, 2004 5:48 am

Suppose, hypothetically, that I was to actually get off my ass and make this happen, what would be the best way to go about it?
Dale
Posted: Jan 17, 2004 5:49 am

Mel Bay!!!
Johnny Cutler
Posted: Jan 17, 2004 6:03 am

How to play Guitar
by David Fair [of Half Japanese]

I taught myself to play guitar. It's incredibly easy when you understand the science of it. The skinny strings play the high sounds, and the fat strings play the low sounds. If you put your finger on the string farther out by the tuning end it makes a lower sound. If you want to play fast, move your hand fast and if you want to play slower move your hand slower. That's all there is to it. You can learn the names of notes and how to make chords that other people use, but that's pretty limiting. Even if you took a few years and learned all the chords you'd still have a limited number of options. If you ignore the chords your options are infinite and you can master guitar playing in one day.
Traditionally, guitars have a fat string on the top and they get skinnier and skinnier as they go down. But the thing to remember is it's your guitar and you can put whatever you want on it. I like to put six different sized strings on it because that gives the most variety, but my brother used to put all of the same thickness on so he wouldn't have so much to worry about. What ever string he hit had to be the right one because they were all the same.
Tuning the guitar is kind of a ridiculous notion. If you have to wind the tuning pegs to just a certain place, that implies that every other place would be wrong. But that's absurd. How could it be wrong? It's your guitar and you're the one playing it. It's completely up to you to decide how it should sound. In fact I don't tune by the sound at all. I wind the strings until they're all about the same tightness. I highly recommend electric guitars for a couple of reasons. First of all they don't depend on body resonating for the sound so it doesn't matter if you paint them. As also, if you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction to effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic. Just a tiny tap on the strings can rattle your windows, and when you slam the strings, with your amp on 10, you can strip the paint off the walls.
The first guitar I bought was a Silvertone. Later I bought a Fender Telecaster, but it really doesn't matter what kind you buy as long as the tuning pegs are on the end of the neck where they belong. A few years back someone came out with a guitar that tunes at the other end. I've never tried one. I guess they sound alright but they look ridiculous and I imagine you'd feel pretty foolish holding one. That would affect your playing. The idea isn't to feel foolish. The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other and with a tiny movement rule the world.

joe danger
Posted: Jan 17, 2004 7:56 am

learn the power chord and play along with a ramones tape.in a few hours you will know how to play guitar.
eric o
Posted: Jan 17, 2004 7:57 am

get some friends. if you all drink, and you all want to make some songs, you can be a band. if someone understands how to make a bar chord, you can be the ramones (at least in your mind). do not be afraid to be a dork. you will suck at first. if you're trying to be cool, you'll never make it. your fingers will hurt. just keep doing it. let somebody who can play guitar show you some basics. but that's it. they'll try to show off, but don't pay any attention to 'em. try to play along to punk records. you won't be able to do it, but you'll get practice and you'll figure out some stuff. be sure to add distortion so your bad chords don't sound so bad.

to write songs: play one thing for a while. yell something over it. play another thing. yell something over and over (that's called a chorus). repeat. then stop.

voila.

Vas
Posted: Jan 17, 2004 10:40 am

when you done all this, learn how to play the record "tommy" from front to back...no mistakes. no cheat chords. Still working on this one myself.
jenna
Posted: Jan 17, 2004 7:18 pm

start (or considerably augment) smoking weed...

and definitely use distortion.

eric o
Posted: Jan 17, 2004 7:40 pm

let me know when you get that done, vas.

see me.... feel me...

dr1000
Posted: Jan 17, 2004 7:50 pm

See those dots on the neck? Stay on those. When you are ready to get off the dots, you'll know.
acmedarling
Posted: Jan 17, 2004 8:15 pm

Scott gave me my first bass lesson recently.....he put on a Ramones record, patted me on the head and walked out the door.
uleeshuh
Posted: Jan 17, 2004 8:26 pm

learn all of "Stairway to Heaven" off of tablature and take it from there. That's what I did.
Scott
Posted: Jan 17, 2004 10:54 pm

...And maybe the Cure.
Scott
Posted: Jan 17, 2004 10:54 pm

I owe everything I am today to the Ramones!
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Jan 17, 2004 11:01 pm

Tune your guitar to E....and bar the frets using your index or middle fingers......and for varied affects play all the strings or two or 3 strings or all the strings.
david t
Posted: Jan 17, 2004 11:05 pm

yeah the first ramones is good to learn to since it is easy songs and since the guitar and bass are panned hard right and left you can get rid of johnny by turning off what ever speaker the guitar is coming out and just have the rest of the band playing along for ya....
joe danger
Posted: Jan 18, 2004 12:03 am

buy jeff gunn a bottle of whiskey and he'll teach you nore than you'll ever need to know.he'll have you bustin' out johnny thunders guitar solos the first day.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Jan 18, 2004 12:12 am

The reason on Ramones albums, Guitar and bass comes out of the right, and drums and vocals on the left...is becuase they did everything on a 4 track machine.

Johnny Thunders grew up playin the oldies, and he knew all the open chords.....alot of his rockin shit is pretty simple, he stole Chinese Rocks from Dee Dee, for warping his TV's neck.....but the key to playin like Thunders is learning to play surf....and you aint going sound as good as Thunders.

Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Jan 18, 2004 12:13 am

We played Blitkrieg Bop and Chinese Rocks in my first band when I was 14.....I played bass....it's all you realy need....exept most of your shit will sound like pop to today's ear.

Angus Young is kind of and advanced Johnny Ramone.

Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Jan 18, 2004 12:20 am

Actually I've been teaching my 11 year old cousin how to play guitar...and I just showed him the ramones chord, and then showed him various style...of music, I told him most country guys use the open chords, explained alternate folk tunings to him...and I told him that alot of guys don't even use chords.......like ouside of the Ramones chords and maybe G and E or occasionally C, I don't like to use chords......Tony Iommi's style is mostly the Ramones Power Chord and jazz riffing.......

The fuckin had his fingertips ripped off in a work accident, and only has one layer of skin covering the bones in his left hand....he has to play wearing thimbles on his fingers...and he uses 8 guage strings......which he'd tune real low, cossing his SG's necks to constantly be shifting on him.......This is total geek shit to most of you, but if you want to be good, this aint geek shit.

Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Jan 18, 2004 12:26 am

He's probbably more like 14 fuck if I know......they grow up so fast...sniff sniff.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Jan 18, 2004 12:56 am

before I leave...I might as well splurge myself of this bit of info....Slash is like one of Johnny Thunders biggest fans, style wise, and most of his shit is pretty fuckin derivative......it took him a long time in the hair metal circuit for anybody to think that he was any good......but buy garage ability/standards, he's fuckin Jimmy Hendrix.

Just off the top of my head, some garage guitar players to check out would be....The Silencers, I think they're great, I was impressed by them.....Fred Cole has a great style...I imitate him by flat picking the top 3 strings and doing arpegios on the bottom...but I'm pretty sure, he plays that style like Slash, where he just rests his hand on the bridge, and flat picks everything like that, so sometimes I play like that, it's actually easier.....I like just about any guitar player that's Kiss derivative...alot of those guys out there.....I don't know I'm just trying to make all who are sickened by me a little sicker...there's so many great guitar players out there....Chilton has a great textural style of guitar playing.

Mr Blvd
Posted: Jan 18, 2004 1:16 am

to learn rhythm guitar/bass-definitely Ramones
to learn lead guitar-the easy way is to copy Johnny Thunders/Dolls which is what me and a million other people have done.

but hey in like 5 months...you could be decent

dutch hercules
Posted: Jan 18, 2004 3:55 am

just listen to early Jethro Tull over and over and over and over...then out of the smoke and fog Ian Anderson will whisk yo away with his magical flute to some thicket in the woods and there you will meet up with Foghat and ye shall be called "Jethro Hat " . but yea once ya learn a bar chord or three which is all ya need sometimes, youre a punk rocker, im a punk rocker. Ive been to a blink 182 show so goddamnit im PUNK! (no)
dutch hercules
Posted: Jan 18, 2004 3:59 am

oh wait you can cheat!! just tune your guitar to one chord. so all ya gotta do is use one finger and press real hard. You will have instant success! find a goofy bass player and hyper active drummer.
Robby G
Posted: Jan 18, 2004 5:54 am

DON'T learn how to play the guitar.
You'll only end up in a band and your friends will come drink your beer backstage and girls will wanna have sex with you and journalists will come and kiss your ass and record labels will offer you enormous amounts of money and you'll have to fly to England 5 times a year and paparazzi will follow you everywhere and you'll get in a big fight with another rockstar and you'll end up in the emergency room after doing too much coke and before you know you wake up... and your friends are still drinking your beer backstage...
Ask anybody on this board...
5thAve
Posted: Jan 18, 2004 9:14 pm

Sunglasses and a full length mirror help alot.
hot stix
Posted: Jan 19, 2004 12:39 am

get the "Beatles Chord Songbook". good way to learn both open chords and barre chords and how to integrate them. plus, it's easy to learn songs you've heard a million and a half times. this book isn't tabs or notation--just the lyrics with the chord name above where they go, and diagram boxes at the top of the page to tell you how to finger the chords. there are other books in this series, too, not just beatles.
jarthur
Posted: Jan 19, 2004 2:16 am

jeff Gunn taught me how to play party on the patio. I doubt he remembers.
scumpuke
Posted: Jan 19, 2004 4:06 am

the ventures
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Jan 19, 2004 7:10 am

The biggest mistake most people do is buy a Beatles song book! The Beatles made up thier one chords! and half the time they'll be simple as shit, but they'll read like Caug7....My aunt's was a guitar teacher and she gave me that tip early on....She's not great but she can play Skinnard.....

I think the most practical advice I ever got was from my uncle, who told me to learn on an acoustic guitar....because it makes your caluses thick, you fingers strong, and aware of tone.

I've basically killed most of the nerve endings in my left hand fingur tips....after bass guitar I started on acoustic guitar with 12 guage strings....I played that about 6 years before I got an electric guitar....I didn't buy an electric untill 4 years ago...and it was a Harmony strat knock off....Those are great learner guitar....I never got use to skinny strings....I prefer 12 guage strings and I use the heaviest Dunlop picks I can find (the purple 1mm(?))...I only change the strings when they break, and the picks start to wear down after about 2 days...I play them untill they're half the size they started out.

The point is that the main thing is you build strong fingers, thick calluses, and accuracy.....I was fortunate in the few lessons I ever had was adult education classes with old people....after 4 months I couldn't play half the shit they could, and it was because they fuckin practiced! I wiped em all out, when I showed them how to play wipe out thow. Practice is the #1....it helps if you get dissed and dumped alot.

Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Jan 19, 2004 7:15 am

Learn Guitar with the Venture's is cool...alot of people learned that way...Pete Townsend.

Did you know dick Dale uses 15 guage strings or heavier? His thing is making the guitar sound like animal noises...Tom Verlaine uses 14 guage.

Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Jan 19, 2004 8:11 am

Actually since I've been sitting here listening to music....I realy wouldn't fuck with song books at all....because alot of those things are made by musician fucks who are all into theory and crap, who make it all way over complex....which is pretty much the deal with the Beatles.

But it depends on what temperment you are...some people are "song people" they just want to stand on stage and look cool, or sit around the camp fire and impress the girls....If that's the case you only need 3 chords, D-C-G....You can play most David Alan Coe songs or whatever, whatever impresses the girls in your town (this is Kentucky). I wouldn't fuck around with learning every chord known to man....I learned to play like A-C-D-G...when I as first starting out....but like the blues chords always escaped me....shit like G7 or D minor....I just always had to concentrate on them...but I never tried to learn them, I just practiced what I knew, and eventually my hands were conditioned so that G7 and D minor just came natural.

I do recomend alot of guitar books like Mel Bay (if you only shop a thrift stores) or any guitar books that just want to teach you the classic, basics. That guitar class I took taught us the classical method, because the teacher figured, it's best to learn the harder stuff and get a solid foundation...

Guitar videos you can get at blockbuster can help out alot....just like the blues and country ones that highlight people unique styles....I just try to get the jist of a style and let it blossom from there...like Albert Collins or Stevie Ray Vaughn....I've never sat down and learned a Stevie Ray Vaughn song, but I can do a deacent impression of it....The only real song I ever learned out of a book, was Metallica's fade to black...and even then I just learned the basic chords, and picked up the riffing from listening to various versions of the songs...

It realy is all a matter of expressing yourself....you could learn a couple Johnny Thunders songs, and look cool for a couple ditzes with syph...but there's still going to be assholes like me in the crowd laughing our butts off at you....that's what's cool about Stoner Rock and Classic Metal, if your no good those guys will tell you.

mika de sica
Posted: Jan 19, 2004 11:49 am

Learn to play louie louie.
First kingsmen style then sonics style.
Now you can make your own songs.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®