Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / turn me on, people
joe danger
Posted: Jan 17, 2004 3:35 am

i need to hear some new rock with soul. anyone know of any good bands i should hear? something pure and from the heart, but still rockin(ie- dead moon). help a brother out.
finnark
Posted: Jan 17, 2004 3:45 am

I was in San Diego last weekend and saw a band called the Red Onions from L.A., I believe. Garage/punk, well played, high energy. Bought their 7 inch and there's an album coming out.
Arturo
Posted: Jan 17, 2004 4:13 am

check out Jet. they rock!!!!!!
supertupelo
Posted: Jan 17, 2004 4:47 am

Red Onions, The Fuse!, Flash Express, The Gris Gris, Mystery Girls, The Rolling Blackouts, The Masons, Federation X, Dixie Buzzards, The Lamps
fierydrunk
Posted: Jan 17, 2004 6:39 am

Going to see Federation X TONIGHT.
Chris O
Posted: Jan 17, 2004 8:28 am

i'll second Gris-Gris and the Lamps!
jarthur
Posted: Jan 17, 2004 9:07 pm

Yeah Chris, Gris Gris are DA BOMB! I they still doing that record on Birdman?
supertupelo
Posted: Jan 17, 2004 9:17 pm

yes, The Gris Gris are still doing the record for Birdman. Lets hope its fairs better then that Cuts record.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Jan 17, 2004 11:05 pm

Monster Magnet.
Chris O
Posted: Jan 18, 2004 12:23 am

Greg's "solo record" Medicine Fuck Dream is out right now on Birdman:
http://www.birdmanrecords.com/gregashleyframe.html
and the Gris-Gris one is coming out soon.

Speaking of solo records, someone mentioned Erase Errata on another thread. Jenny Erase Errata singer quit the band and I don't know if they are going on without her or what but she has a pretty interesting 7" (and a full length I haven't heard yet) as Paradise Island:
http://www.geocities.com/paradiseislandca/
Sounds nothing like EE, more fucked up indiepsychfolk/digital beep beeps (not that that means anything).

And both are former Texans living in Oakland.

ledisquairebazookajoe
Posted: Jan 18, 2004 6:51 am

Newest band with real soul/ no gimmicks/ straight from the heart and guts/ completely fucked up/ non pretentious attitude= THE BLACK LIPS.
Jakey Stiff
Posted: Jan 18, 2004 9:35 pm

who?

(places tongue firmly in cheek)

fierydrunk
Posted: Jan 21, 2004 1:05 am

Can someone please describe what Gris Gris is like?
Dickie Appleshortz
Posted: Jan 21, 2004 1:25 am

and don't ferget the DIRGES from Chicago. It's got Ross from the Brides and they play 100mph Wilson Picket, Otis Redding & Ike and Tina songs along with their own burnin' soul scorchers. You can get their first two songs on the Maybe Chicago? comp for $10ppd www.criminaliq.com for the address. New 7" ep to be recorded and pressed up in the next month...
Chris O
Posted: Jan 21, 2004 3:00 am

Gris-Gris are similar to the Mystery Girls and Black Lips, almost like a more psychedelic mix of the 2. 2 of the 3 Gri-Gris are in Rock N Roll Adventure Kids, but it sounds nothing like them. The singer Greg write all the songs. When he was 19 (2 years ago i think) he was in a band in Houston called the Mirrors, here's the Blank Generation review of the Mirrors record:

Mirrors "A Green Dream" LP
I want to get in a time machine. I want to head back to where it all began. This stale modern age just doesn’t cut it. It’s too bland…too routine… I want to see all the pretty colors…dance in the mud…be free! The Mirrors are free. Their music is created from all of the best experiences from that decadent decade we call - The 60’s. Garage Punk, Psychedelic Mind-Trips, Experimental Sounds; A Green Dream is an eclectic album about art, poetry, dark, light, and gray tones… It’s a music lover’s record; a lover of sounds record. There is more music out there to discover my little turtledoves, spread your wings and soar. (JD)

you should see them live to make your own decision, but it is good shit. Some of the guys from the Cuts played with him last week at the record release for Medicine Fuck Dream, it was pretty rad. drug punk.

Todd Trickknee
Posted: Jan 21, 2004 3:16 am

Is Marcos in the band? Sounds interesting, either way.
Chris O
Posted: Jan 21, 2004 3:32 am

marcos is not in the band, but oscar and joe are. it's probably kinda similar to the guy from the mystery girls' solo record (when is that out?). another description:
http://www.midheaven.com/labels/birdman.html
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®