Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / wisconsin people
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 6:44 pm

other than supplying phish fans with overalls, whats the word on oshkosh?
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 6:46 pm

b'gosh?
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 6:49 pm

cheeseheads

n' ring baloney
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 6:51 pm

oshkosh

PIECE OF SHIT

college frat towne.

EAA if yyou like ARROWPLANES

boring
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 6:51 pm

but they have a dq brazier
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 6:52 pm

my boyrfiend's sister lives in Oshkosh. It's small. She seems to know everyone. It's got a cute and quaint downtown....NO music scene, but a tight art community from what I understand..if this is the sorta answer you're looking for.

an awesome supper club, pizza joint and CD store all on the main street. well, everything is on the main street. that's all i got on Oshkosh.
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 6:58 pm

oh yeah, eat cranky pats pizza!
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 7:10 pm

if this is the sorta answer you're looking for.

actually, yes. thanks.
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 7:17 pm

Oshkosh sucks. There are shows there infrequently, no music scene in terms of good local bands there but there are people who live there that are in bands from elsewhere in the Valley. The Reptile Palace is actually a pretty fun bar where OK bands play every once in a while, and there's a small but enthusiastic music scene based around that bar and some basements (Dead Hookers, Jetty Boys, etc., have played shows there). From Kaukauna to Oshkosh it's one long suburb, so you can go 10 minutes and be in exciting Appleton or 5 to be in even more exciting Neenah. Check out Paul and JonE Reject's old stomping grounds while you are there.

Arman - if you'll be in the area, I work in Appleton which is about 10 minutes away. Let me know and you can buy me a beer.
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 7:20 pm

Oh, as for non-music stuff, I don't know of anything other than a good bistro downtown (can't remember the name, though). Cranky Pat's in Neenah is good pizza, though. It's a small college town with small college town hippies & small college town frat-types and not much else.
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 7:22 pm

5 to be in even more exciting Neenah

i think that's where all the sewer grates and manhole covers in chicago are made.
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 7:40 pm

My only experience with Oshkosh is the skatepark...which is outdoor, concrete, and fun. The town itself looks boring as all get out though.
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 7:44 pm

i think that's where all the sewer grates and manhole covers in chicago are made

I think they might be the nation's sewer grate and manhole cover make of choice cuz all the one's in my town (or at least my part of town) say Neenah on them. Whenever I see one I think "Teenage Rejects"!
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 7:45 pm

5 to be in even more exciting Neenah

i think that's where all the sewer grates and manhole covers in chicago are made.

those things are distributed everyone! i saw them in phoenix.
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 7:47 pm

so is the foundry like the company town in neenah?
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 7:48 pm

yes, they are all over the united states... but so are manhole covers from east jordan, MI.... i got a whole photo series of such things - i like foundry markings. in texas, however, they forge their own manhole covers.
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 7:49 pm

My only experience with Oshkosh is the skatepark...which is outdoor, concrete, and fun. The town itself looks boring as all get out though.

pretty fun park. use to go there all the time when i was young boy. they fucked up on the halfpipe when they built it though. there are a ton of outdoor skateparks made out of metal that have popped up over the last several years.
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 7:54 pm

oshkosh is amazing. the shows are free, there's always hot 18 year old girls there who will blow you, the bands always get a minumum of $400 to play gigs (more on monday-wednesday), you will easily sell out of all your merch there, they put you up in a hotel, they'll get you extra rooms if you pick up some girls, and the pizza.... oh the pizza...
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 7:55 pm

todd, i am considering a position at a funeral home there, that's why i'm asking.
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 7:55 pm

that's gay
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 7:58 pm

todd, i am considering a position at a funeral home there, that's why i'm asking.

well, you'd be in a good town if you want a nice house for cheap, an hour from milwaukee for good shows or an hour to green bay for good shows.
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 8:11 pm

Arman - if you're OK with being in a small town with little going on (but low crime, cheap housing and pleasant traffic), go for it. You would be close enough to Milwaukee to head down occasionally and a little closer to GB for the occasional show. It really is pretty damn boring, though!

Dusty, your old bandmate (current?) Christreater played at the Reptile House this winter and seemed to have a good time. Fun crowd, no pizza/18 yr old bjs/$400.
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 8:26 pm

pizza/18 yr old bjs/$400

funny thing, that was mentioned in the benefit package.
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 8:33 pm

pizza/18 yr old bjs/$400

you need a roommate arman?
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 8:49 pm

no Arman! don't go! you'll be persecuted for your sexual orientation!
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 9:23 pm

first time i recorded in a studio was in oshkosh. also the second, third and fourth time. fun times. there was a music store downstairs and a decent diner across the street.

fuick oshkosh, it sure as hell aint no manitowoc.
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 9:28 pm

It's basically Manitowoc but less run down & with a buncha college douches milling aboot.
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 10:08 pm

The only time I went to Osh Kosh, I got really drunk in some college bar and stared at a lot of hot girls. I think a lot of them were hippies. Between this memory and the cute girl with dreadlocks I saw last night, I think I want to date a hippie.
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 10:09 pm

I think I want to date a hippie
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 10:11 pm

I know Richard started a big barroom brawl in an Oshkosh "college bar" one night when Death & Taxes played. I'm sure someone said they didn't like Thin Lizzy or something like that. Yeah, Neenah and Oshkosh seem to have a higher hot girl percentage than the rest of the Valley or GB. Go Arman! Hot Corpse.
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 10:12 pm

Between this memory and the cute girl with dreadlocks I saw last night, I think I want to date a hippie.

are you sure date is the correct verb there?
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 10:17 pm

didn't like Thin Lizzy

Thems fightin words.
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 11:02 pm

Richard got beat up by a midget one time over an Iron Maiden argument.
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 11:08 pm

Richard got beat up by a midget one time over an Iron Maiden argument.

I think I love you Wisconians. Is that what you are? Wisconians?
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 11:15 pm

Wisconsinites. Get it rights!
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 11:19 pm

I'm trying! I never been to yer crazy state!
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 11:39 pm

there used to be a Shakey's in Oshkosh but now there's really no reason to go there ...
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 11:57 pm

ring baloney 'n cheeseheads
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 11:58 pm

ring cheese and baloneyheads
Posted: Apr 25, 2007 12:27 am

beer n bratwurst
Posted: Apr 25, 2007 12:30 am

and cheese curds
Posted: Apr 25, 2007 2:07 am

Yeah, Neenah and Oshkosh seem to have a higher hot girl percentage than the rest of the Valley or GB.

I wish they all could be kaukauna
I wish they all could be kaukauna
I wish they all could be kaukauna girls!

alternately:

neenah, menasha
girl I wanna flash ya
algoma, monona
girl I'm gonna bone ya
oshkosh, winnebago, baby why don't we go
down to kaukauna..

I apologize if Da Yoopers already beat me to either of those.
Posted: Apr 25, 2007 2:29 am

I really like wisconsin
Posted: Apr 25, 2007 2:31 am

ill post a wisconsin song on my blog later, t.r. special, a little johnny cash style number from the 60s about shipping and living on the shores of lake michigan.
Posted: Apr 25, 2007 3:03 am

wisconsin rules but shakey's sucks
Posted: Apr 25, 2007 3:19 am

Posted: Apr 25, 2007 7:33 am

It ain't oshksosh...but are the Kopps hamburger joints still around in Milwaukee? I used to drive up there to skate the Turf and Kopps was always a stop....fuckin' huge burgers.....
Posted: Apr 25, 2007 3:34 pm | Edited by: Rosemary Rose

arman, I have know no idea what the job market is like for funeral home directors, but if Oshkosh is one of a few cities you're choosing from, it's not so bad. You're within an hour of the three major cities in Wisconsin and you might get bored easily, but the town isn't lacking in cheap drinking, not to mention the cheap living (but anywhere is probably cheaper than Chicago).
Posted: Apr 25, 2007 4:16 pm

Yeah, there are still Kopps on each side of town. Ate there a few days ago.
Posted: Apr 25, 2007 4:28 pm

How was it?
Posted: Apr 25, 2007 4:33 pm

Kopps is awesome.
Posted: Apr 25, 2007 5:02 pm

I might go to Kopps for lunch today... Haven't had it in a while. I'll schedule the quadruple bypass now...
Posted: Apr 25, 2007 5:22 pm

Kopps is awesome, even though they don't have bacon.
Posted: Apr 25, 2007 7:20 pm

Oshkosh ain't that bad if yer into drinking. I used to live there when I was a teenager. There is a cool band there called Razorfist.
Posted: Apr 25, 2007 9:00 pm

Ha, forgot about Razorfist. Doesn't the Jaguar live there right now, too?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®