Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Floridian Vacation
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 5:46 pm

We need to select a nice little beach community to take a summer vacation in. We live on the gulf coast so gulf coast is fine, but would prefer a place relatively undeveloped, with bungalows/little ancient motels on the beach that aren't totally expensive. The more beautiful the better, i.e. no huge ass condos and huge numbers of crackheads running around, i.e. Daytona etc.
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 5:47 pm

cape cod
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 5:48 pm

cod filets
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 5:48 pm

Suggestions of Florida quaintness, please. Thank you!
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 5:51 pm

Posted: Apr 23, 2007 5:53 pm

I know she would give me plenty of love and sass, but I am looking for a white sand beach and small numbers of people.
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 5:55 pm

Posted: Apr 23, 2007 5:55 pm

I am looking for a white sand beach

can't we have just one thread w/o racism please???

SHEESH!
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 5:59 pm

oh i did not take you serious

have you tried here: delicious ale and bratwurst

URL
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 5:59 pm

We went to this cool little island Saturday, but it was PACKED with annoyingly accented New Jersey loud talkers. It was like Coney Island circa 1944 with this one family crammed all up in our space, unpacking their junk food and leaving it all over so the gulls started swooping in.

Then they were incessantly complaining about all the seagrass that was on the beach (it is a protected beach, so no raking and "prettifying")...classic moment when the dad barks out, "We shudda just stayed at dat uddah beach closah in, what wuz it? 'Pet Beach'???"
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 6:00 pm

go to the nude beaches!
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 6:01 pm

I think one of those hurricanes destroyed sanibel island, but i used to spend xmases there as a kid and thought it was damn near perfect. We were in a house not a hotel and the hotels might have been bigger than you want, but the big one may also have been destroyed so i dont know.

The have a restuarant there called Cheeseburger in Paradise, where they make different size bugers. If you eat the biggest size they have its free and you get your photo on the wall. Somehow I doubt this is your style, but maybe not.
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 6:02 pm | Edited by: saispas

Re: Nude beaches

We inadvertantly have run into one of "those" already. SHUDDER. Not very sexy.
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 6:03 pm

Posted: Apr 23, 2007 6:04 pm

I always heard Sanibel was pretty...there is another one over here called Anna Maria Island that is really close but supposedly they have revamped all the old vintage 50's and 60's motels and there are no places bigger than that. Anyone been to Cedar Key???
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 6:09 pm

Posted: Apr 23, 2007 6:12 pm

I know that we went someplace years ago that was a natural spring. It was inland but near beaches. The water was so clear you had no depth perception, which was weird. It wasn't as crowded as the beaches and was more enjoyable to me.

I can't remember the name of it to save my life. I just remember that we were staying with family near clearwater/tampa area. DCR can you remember the name of that place?
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 6:15 pm

Donkey, Pass-a-Grille is indeed great, but we go there all the time. It is really close to where we live. We wanna get a bit further outta this area, South or North or even over to the Atlantic coast, don't matter.
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 6:22 pm | Edited by: tim

definitely not cocoa beach like donkey suggested, if you are looking for something quaint.
lotsa tourists and condos there.
st. george island off the panhandle is nice.
http://www.saintgeorgeisland.us/html/stgeorge.htm
really nice beaches, and not too crowded.
there's a wildlife refuge on the island, good for bike rides, and nice sunsets on the bay side.
not much in the way of old hotels, but i think there are one or two hotels there.
it's mostly rental houses, from small to huge.
went there last summer over the 4th of july, and even on a holiday weekend, it still wasn't that crowded.
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 6:24 pm

YES!

Thanks so much--this is exactly the sort of idea.
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 6:26 pm

Windy--I love those springs too and they are really close to here (Tampa/St. Pete) but I don't know which ones are which. My current stepmom was a mermaid at Weeki Wachee as a young woman, so I'll ask her--we'd love to take a day trip up there; you can tube on those clear rivers.
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 6:34 pm

st. george island off the panhandle is nice.
I wanna go here.
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 7:00 pm

yeah from my experience, the panhandle is way better than the atlantic beaches and the sanibel/captiva scene. however, if I were you I'd probably explore the keys, they've always fascinated me, as have the dry tortugas. unfortunately that's like a 20 hour drive for me, so the panhandle remains much more accessible. apilachicola seems pretty unspoiled, I've always wanted to go there.
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 7:10 pm

I think what you want is in mexico. If there was a place left in florida without condos and crackheads we would all live there.

I used to go to venice to collect shark teeth.
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 7:23 pm

We love Mexico, but can't afford that again right now. We live in Florida and need a cheap vacation...I know there are still cool places around (we go to the ones near us and avoid the crackheads y condos scene like the plague...unless we wanna go play putt putt and then it is unavoidable).

The panhandle looks good, but this Anna Maria Island place north of Siesta Key looks good too. I think all the beaches seem worse to me now cos we are going during "season"...tourist-central. I always came down here before in summertime, much less of a little kid/old people etc factor when it is as hot as Hades.
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 7:35 pm

Where we AREN'T going:

Boy, 12, Bitten by Shark Off Fla. Coast

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: April 23, 2007
Filed at 2:07 p.m. ET

HUTCHINSON ISLAND, Fla. (AP) -- A 12-year-old boy was treated for puncture wounds after a shark bit him on the ankle, authorities said.

Matthew Honyak told authorities he saw the mouth of the shark when it bit him Sunday, the St. Lucie County Sheriff's Office said in a statement.

Lifeguards sounded an alarm and rushed to help after an unidentified man yelled ''Shark bite!'' Matthew was treated at a hospital and discharged later Sunday, according to hospital records.

It was the fourth shark attack in six weeks off Hutchinson Island, along Florida's east coast.

A 29-year-old surfer was bitten on his right hand March 11 and required two hours of surgery. During a one-hour period on March 31, a 9-year-old boy was bitten on the leg and buttock and a 30-year-old man was bitten on the ankle.

Last year, 23 shark attacks were recorded in Florida, maintaining the state's position as the world's shark attack capital, according to a University of Florida study. The state's last recorded fatal shark attack was in 2005.
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 8:31 pm

Ive been living down in Key West for the last year and love it down here...strongly recommend checking out the DRY TORTUGAS sometime - least visited national park in the country as its seventy miles into the gulf. Fuckin amazing out there especially if you camp....the boat takes all the tourists away and suddenly you are alone on a deserted island...its the end of the reef so the snorkeling is unbelievable out there. There is also a civil war fort made out of 16 million bricks right on the island, which was also used as a prison, creepy and very cool at the same time. gotta love florida man!
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 9:01 pm

Have you been to Bahia Honda State Park down there? That place looks amazing! The only thing I worry about is going down there in July; it will be Ryan's first summer here and he will be going crazy trying to acclimate to the heat still.
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 9:13 pm

Are they still monkey fishin' out in the Keys?
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 9:39 pm

There is also a civil war fort made out of 16 million bricks right on the island, which was also used as a prison, creepy and very cool at the same time. gotta love florida man!

i thought that was built pre-civil war for some reason...but i knew it was used as a military prison which had HUGE bouts with yellow fever so it never did get finished. one of the prisoners in it was a doctor and he got pardoned by the president when he saved the inmates and staff of the hospital from death. the pictures i have seen of the area are GORGEOUS. i've always wanted to go.
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 9:52 pm

I just looked it up and it is pretty incredible looking, hard to believe it is a national park! I know the fort in St. Augustine is a Spanish fort; anyone know if the one at Ft. Desoto is conquistador era or Dixie flag era?
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 10:19 pm

pretty sure it was a post-civil war thing. not entirely sure though.
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 11:38 pm

yeah elle, Originally constructed to protect the important Gulf of Mexico shipping lanes pre-civil war, Ft. Jefferson on the Dry Tortugas was used as a fort for the north during the civil war but never completed...the huge ass canons are still there...

dr. samuel mudd was the famous prisoner there after it was coverted into a prison - he became a hero when he treated the yellow fever outbreak and was released. they sent him there cause they thought he cospired with wilkes booth after lincoln was shot (mudd set his broken leg). you can visit mudd's cell and see where he was shackled, its unreal, he had this great view of the ocean and the mote which surrounds the fort!

we always have a drink in mudd's cell in his honor!

best snorkeling there too, third largest reef system in the world starts there and runs up the keys.

I want to volunteer out there for like a week sometime, you can stay in a room in the fort if you do that, that would be nuts. but camping out there is great there is like the lush little forested section and behind it is a beach leading to the most pristine waters ever, crystal clear. GO!
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 11:58 pm

oh and BAHIA HONDA is a fantastic place too! was up there a few weeks ago, loved it
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 12:00 am

Where we AREN'T going:

Looks like the whole Atlantic coast is off limits then. I would also guess that the ones with the highest attacks also are the ones with the most visited beaches.
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/statistics/GAttack/mapFL.htm
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 12:14 am

Posted: Apr 24, 2007 12:32 am

I've been to Bahia Honda. My girl and I walked along a path near the water and came upon two naked elderly men. Well, one had a hat and some flip flops on. He waved and smiled in a particularly creepy way as his buddy suddenly came rolling up on a bicycle . Boy, was he suprised. I was considering potential encounters with other kinds of local varmits along the path like coral snakes...we did see a conch, though.
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 3:32 am | Edited by: saispas

Wow--that shark attack graphic shows that the county we live in has had 2 shark bite fatalities--the greatest # in Florida (tied with Duval County), one as recent as 2000. I think that was the year one got into the intercoastal and ate some old man swimming off his dock.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®