Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / The Police.
Posted: Apr 22, 2007 8:02 am

anyone going to any of the "re-union" shows?
Posted: Apr 22, 2007 8:18 am | Edited by: Shawn Carpetbagger

I always thought that they were overrated garbage. Blah. Were they lamer than The Cars? Maybe. Sorry, I'm drunk.
Posted: Apr 22, 2007 2:53 pm

Excuse me, but fucking What the Fuck?!?!?!?!

How is it that people I have known for some time and have heretofore respected are interested in The Police? I mean doesn't everyone know they suck hard? Oh, a new album? Fucking fantastic. I'm sure it won't be the worst pile of dog shit to come out this year, but that isn't the point. It won't be good. And I'll bet money that at their shows they play Roxanne in some fashion 3+ times/engagement. The Cars on the other hand were a fantastic band. Apart from being contemporaries, I fail to see the grounds on which they can be compared.
Posted: Apr 22, 2007 3:55 pm

Terrible band. "Next to You" is a good song, though.
Posted: Apr 22, 2007 5:28 pm

Maybe it's me, but I'm sensing some hostility here, sarah...
Posted: Apr 22, 2007 5:48 pm

I'm constantly at odds with trying to figure out who I hate more, The Police or U2. And ultimately, Sting or Bono.
Posted: Apr 22, 2007 6:01 pm

the police are awesome. they caught the guy who stole my bike and he went to jail for 7 years.
Posted: Apr 22, 2007 6:36 pm

I'm sensing some hostility
I'm just dumbfounded by the whole thing.
Posted: Apr 22, 2007 6:46 pm

I thought this thread was about bacon. They stopped in our driveway last night to ask us if we had seen a suspicious male wearing all black.
Posted: Apr 22, 2007 6:56 pm

I'm constantly at odds with trying to figure out who I hate more, The Police or U2. And ultimately, Sting or Bono.

I'm totally with you on this one. I've always wanted one of them "Kill Bono" t-shirts.
Posted: Apr 22, 2007 8:08 pm

Fuck The Police
Posted: Apr 22, 2007 9:07 pm

How is it that people I have known for some time and have heretofore respected are interested in The Police? I mean doesn't everyone know they suck hard? Oh, a new album? Fucking fantastic. I'm sure it won't be the worst pile of dog shit to come out this year, but that isn't the point. It won't be good. And I'll bet money that at their shows they play Roxanne in some fashion 3+ times/engagement. The Cars on the other hand were a fantastic band. Apart from being contemporaries, I fail to see the grounds on which they can be compared.

Perfect. THANK YOU!!!!!!!
Posted: Apr 22, 2007 10:08 pm

When I was an eight year old, I took one of my older sister's copy of Zenyetta Mondetta (or whatever the hell it was called, the one w/ Canary in a Coalmine on it) and whipped it against a wall. Then I did a number on the jacket...
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 12:27 am

I always thought that they were overrated garbage. Blah. Were they lamer than The Cars? Maybe. Sorry, I\'m drunk.

That\'s easy...The Cars were WAY better than the stupid-ass Police. The Police had a couple of decent songs at best. (And, really, hearing Eddie Murphy sing \"Roxanne\" was much better.) The Cars, on the other hand, wrote and recorded some really great pop songs.

Also, many Police fans, desperate to hear their dumb-shit favorite band at parties, would start chanting COPS COPS COPS COPS.
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 12:46 am

Then I did a number on the jacket

A number 2, I hope.
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 2:37 am

cars had a bunch of decent songs.
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 7:00 pm

Oh, like "Strap Me In" and "Tonight She Comes"? Uhh, let's talk about "Mutt" Lange's nifty touches on Heartbeat City...yeah, I'm pulling your crank, Brad.
Ocasek's a swell dude. Panorama is great. New Cars, on the other hand...

Do you think Sting could sell out without Andy and Stew? Are the Police bringing back Henri Padovani for this new LP? Thought not.

"I was blue and lonely, I couldn't sleep a wink..."
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 7:13 pm

The Police or U2. And ultimately, Sting or Bono.

i never got the cars; they are like blue cheer or rose tattoo or motorhead: bands that people i respect love but i just don't get

stink btw is more full of it than boner but i MUST say they have diverted attention to rainforests and starving children and that has to be a good thing

there are no good police songs even if i like the drummer; u2 has 7-8 really OK songs
and i will follow is prolly a great song

so there
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 7:23 pm

i never got the cars; they are like blue cheer or rose tattoo or motorhead: bands that people i respect love but i just don't get

i've never heard rose tattoo but re: blue cheer/ motorhead- what's there to "get?" it just fucking ripsssss!!!
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 7:26 pm

Rose Tattoo rips as much as blue cheer and motorhead...plus they are funnier. Well, Motorhead is pretty funny too, but Rose Tattoo has a perfect crazy singer named Angry Anderson. Now, THAT is funny.
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 8:14 pm

the first four albums are great.
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 8:47 pm

if you guys like the cars so much...does this mean you dig cyndi lauper too? maybe some Culture Club? Lionel Richie? FAGS!
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 9:00 pm

I love Klaus Nomi.
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 9:19 pm

hmm, least crucial dude, sting or bono? too tuff for me to call -- i'd say throw them both to the lions and whoever dies first is less cruicial - as long as they both die
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 9:24 pm

Lionel Richie?
Yes!!
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 9:45 pm

I dig the Cars and Cyndi Lauper, but can do without Lionel Richie and Culture Club. The Police "Synchronicity" is the first album I ever bought (at Schultz's Dime Store in Chilton, WI in 1983 or 1984 when I was 6 or 7 years old), so I've kept it. "Synchronicity II" is a good song and had a Judas Priest parody video, but I can't get into much else by the Police...
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 12:37 am

that's a tough call. i can tell you that both of them smell pretty bad. not that it matters, but they're both richer than the countries they came from, so they can afford BOTH soap AND deodorant
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 8:42 pm

I kinda liked the Police for those first two albums, when they were sorta "punk." Sorta.

I saw them at the US Festival, 1982, and I have to admit they really were amazing live. But their music just seems so emotionally...empty. I can't figure out why anyone would be passionate about them. I'm no fan of Springsteen or U2 either, but I can see why some people are passionate about them. But with the Police, it's like the Dave Matthews Band. Why would anyone even care?
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 10:48 pm

i think that for many people, music is just background noise. with that in mind, the police's music is fantastic!

i don't know how anyone could summon passion for the police - although, like you, finnark, i do understand how someone could be passionate about springsteen or u2, though i'm not in that mindset.

a friend of mine who does tour accounting for all the big stadium tours was offered a position on the police tour and he turned it down because he'd have to hear sting's voice all night long every night. how's that?
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 10:52 pm

Comparing the Boss to Bono? I call BULLSHIT!!!!
Posted: Apr 24, 2007 11:06 pm

Comparing the Boss to Bono? I call BULLSHIT!!!!

A fucking men!!
Posted: Apr 25, 2007 2:19 am

Bono is far worse than Sting. I can sing alomg to far more Police songs than U2 songs. The reason is U2 are fucking shite.
Posted: Apr 25, 2007 2:33 am

To me, the Police are like the Clash. Gay.

I'd rather listen to Puff Daddy or Big Audio Dynamite.
Posted: Apr 25, 2007 2:43 am

THE POLICE>THE CARS

It ain't close--there are plenty of Police songs I really like and I own Police albums whereas I've never owned a Cars album and there isn't a single one of their songs I ever need to hear again. But I'm a pretty hardcore new-waver so there ya go.

-Ryan
Posted: Apr 25, 2007 2:53 am

So Lonely is a really good Police song I used to dig, and there are a few really early ones that are good, too. The Cars are cooler, but lest we forget they did do that song "Drive" which might well be the lamest song of the 80s.
As for the Police, I like it in Footloose when Ren, played by Kevin Bacon, says to Willard (the Penn brother) have you ever heard of the Police, like it is a super cool name drop, and Willard says "yeah, they are right behind you". Ren's yellow VW bug gets pulled over.
Posted: Apr 25, 2007 4:27 am

the 80s.... possibly the worst decade ever in the history of time in terms of music, culture, fashion, etc... it was the decade that glorified the police, u2 and the cars.
Posted: Apr 25, 2007 4:30 am

80s music is overmaligned
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 11:49 pm

heh...this is pretty damned funny.
http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/44169679
Petulant pansy indeed!

The singer in the Police jumps like a "petulant pansy," the drummer is making a "complete hash," and who knows what the guitarist is doing?

Notes from a bitter critic? Actually, it's a disarmingly frank concert review from the aforementioned drummer of the newly reunited rock trio.

A philosophical Stewart Copeland unleashed his vitriol in a posting on his Web site on Thursday, a day after the band played its second show in Vancouver, the Canadian city where it began its first world tour in more than 20 years on Monday.

"This is unbelievably lame," Copeland wrote of Wednesday's show at the GM Place arena. "We are the mighty Police and we are totally at sea."

Most of the 20,000 fans at the venue might not have noticed a series of small flubs, but Copeland, singer/bassist Sting, and guitarist were painfully aware of them.

Copeland started the show off on the wrong foot, literally. He tripped as he took to the stage, and then banged his gong at the wrong time so that "the big pompous opening to the show is a damp squib."

He did not hear Summers' opening riff to "Message In a Bottle," and Sting in turn misheard Copeland's drum intro -- "so we are half a bar out of sync with each other. Andy is in Idaho."

They quickly recovered, but then Sting got his footwork wrong as he leapt into the air to signal the end to a shambolic version of their rat-race rant "Synchronicity II."

"The mighty Sting momentarily looks like a petulant pansy instead of the god of rock," Copeland reported.

"And so it goes, for song after song," he wrote, with tunes such as "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic" and "Don't Stand So Close To Me" reduced to ruin.

"It usually takes about four or five shows in a tour before you get to the disaster gig. But we're The Police so we are a little ahead of schedule," he said.

Fortunately, no fists flew backstage as they did back in the Police's heyday. The threesome fell into each other's arms laughing hysterically, Copeland said.

"Screw it, it's only music. What are you gonna do? But maybe it's time to get out of Vancouver."

The band's next show is set for Saturday in Edmonton.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 11:54 pm

i think i still hate bono more. he sucks so bad light can't even escape.
Posted: Jun 2, 2007 1:45 am

"This is unbelievably lame," Copeland wrote of Wednesday's show at the GM Place arena. "We are the mighty Police and we are totally at sea."

and people are paying $500 to see this?
Posted: Jun 2, 2007 1:59 am

Is Sting too busy hving tantric sex with his wife to rehearse?

Copeland's honesty is refreshing, though.
Posted: Jun 2, 2007 2:02 am

and people are paying $500 to see this?

Even if that's Canadian and you are in love w/ the Police... what a rip-off. I hate the rich...
Posted: Jun 2, 2007 2:33 am

Even if that's Canadian

The loonie is trading at $0.94 right now. Amazing ... it was $0.61 in 2002.
Posted: Jun 2, 2007 2:34 am

i'm too busy having tantric sex with sting's wife to rehearse, too!
Posted: Jun 2, 2007 2:35 am | Edited by: le chev

The loonie is trading at $0.94 right now. Amazing ... it was $0.61 in 2002.
Good. I'll think twice the next time I get shafted w/ a Canuck since eventually Canucks will be worth more than American money...
Posted: Jun 2, 2007 2:39 am

Police are fucking lame, but I do agree with this:

"Synchronicity II" is a good song
Posted: Jun 2, 2007 6:22 am

I generally like both the Police and the Cars, but I'm a child of the 80s....

the 80s.... possibly the worst decade ever in the history of time in terms of music

that's a rediculous statement...ever heard of a band called THE MINUTEMEN?
Posted: Jun 2, 2007 6:49 am

yeah. i like mike watt; nice guy. the minutemen: i don't get it. they do absolutely nada for me. never did. i gave em a second chance recently, too.

its dude music
Posted: Jun 3, 2007 3:51 am

Sting was just on an E! repeat of Saturday Night Live when Clinton was still Pres. He did 'Brand New Day". I gotta say, that's really a pretty great soul song.
Posted: Jun 3, 2007 3:53 am

sting also does standards. damn well too.
Posted: Jun 3, 2007 7:43 am

hercules the dutch wrote:
{The Police.} anyone going to any of the "re-union" shows?

trickknee wrote:
Terrible band. "Next to You" is a good song, though.

"Peanuts" isn't bad.

They had a few good songs, but they became a band... or Sting became a guy that people love to hate.

bradx wrote:

Cezary Trybanski wrote:
Oh, like "Strap Me In" and "Tonight She Comes"? Uhh, let's talk about "Mutt" Lange's nifty touches on Heartbeat City...yeah, I'm pulling your crank, Brad.

What, are you twelve?
Some late 80s and a reunion track?

The Cars '78 self-titled is a great album.
Posted: Jun 4, 2007 5:17 am

dude, the police were punk, man.

these lyrics crack me up, so steet man.

Landlord (the Police)
Written by Sting & Stewart Copeland

I don't want to rent your house from you
I don't know how you can expect me to
I ain't moving 'cause I know my rights
Too many homeless on the streets at night

You own a street and a block of flats
You earn your living like the other rats
You've no morality what do you care
You deal in poverty you buy despair

I ain't moving 'till the bailiff comes
I've got no weapons, gonna get me some

You go and call yourself a business man
You're just a parasite on Phylosan
You're just a middle-class middle-aged shit
You sold your granny for a three-penny bit

You own a street and a block of flats
You earn your living like the other rats
You've no morality what do you care
You deal in poverty you buy despair

Artist: Sting And Police
Song: Dead End Job
Written by Sting, Stewart Copeland & Andy Summers

I don't want no dead end job
I don't wanna be no number

The queue gets longer everyday
I just ain't no time to stay
I ain't gonna run away
All I want to do is play

Don't wanna be no teacher
I don't wanna be no slave
I don't wanna work no assembly line
Like my uncle Dave

I just ain't got time to stay
I ain't gonna run away
All I wanna do is play

All I wanna do is play
But I ain't gonna run away

Don't wanna be no millionaire
Don't wanna own no mint
I don't wanna be no tax exile
And I don't mind being skint

The queue gets longer every day
I ain't gonna run away
All I wanna do is play

I just ain't no time to stay
I ain't gonna run away
All I want to do is play

Don't wanna be no millionaire
Don't wanna own no mint
I don't wanna be no tax exile
And I don't mind being skint

The queue gets longer every day
All I wanna do is play
I ain't gonna run away

Posted: Jun 4, 2007 9:43 am

pciture sleeve, mint wax, a&m white promo lable, 12" 45
The Police - Roxanne/Peanuts

$100
Posted: Jun 4, 2007 2:30 pm

I generally like both the Police and the Cars, but I'm a child of the 80s....

the 80s.... possibly the worst decade ever in the history of time in terms of music

First off, dude-music or not...Minutemen rule!

Second, for the record:
The 1980's. Best AND worst decade for music. Mainstream was attrocious/Underground was amazing. That is all...
Posted: Jun 4, 2007 4:36 pm

The 90's was infinitely worse than the 80's for music, both mainstream and underground. So was the 70's, for that matter, outside of the relative handful of punk and hard rock/metal classics the decade produced. The 50's and 60's were all about great singles. The 00's? AMERICAN IDOL. Guh.

The Minutemen are dude music??? Every girl I currently know who likes punk rock likes the Minutemen.

-Ryan
Posted: Jun 4, 2007 4:43 pm

I'm a child of the 80's . Police are the worst band ever. Slit Sting's throat.
Posted: Jun 4, 2007 7:22 pm

Outlandos D'Amour is one of my favorite albums. That said, it is also the ONLY Police album I like/own/listen to. But it is fucking great.
Posted: Jun 4, 2007 7:47 pm

Every girl I currently know who likes punk rock likes the Minutemen.

but where were you in the 70s and early 80s? and where were those girls? if you ask people from LA, you'll get a 50/50 split on the question of whether or not you like the minutemen - with absolutely no middle ground. which is good for them because indifference is a pretty bad opinion for a band.
Posted: Jun 5, 2007 6:38 pm

any of these bands (well maybe not the lionel richie post) are better than pop music today. i think the more pertinent question is "which is better, the Police or KORN". or insert whoever else the kids think rock and roll is. basically if you're in a restaurant and they start playing a decent police song it's like "ok, i don't have to leave" but i have literally left restaurants when they'll play alanis morrissette or whatever else. plus these people actually made their music, and some of them could actually play and write good riffs once - including, hate to say it because his solo career was an insult to the godz, sting.

so which is better? the police or death cab for cutie ? hands down, the police. which is better? the police or the mars volta or whoever the alternative press is pushing? so basically, maybe the police were promoted some, but fundamentally they became popular because they were much more interesting than other bands in the mainstream during that time. their first tour of the USA was in a van they drove themselves; they were affiliated with I.R.S. Records; while certainly a poseur, Sting at least "was there" during the '77 punk explosion. compare that with the cush indie rock world into which modern crap-rock bands are born. Indie labels know where the money is these days.

of course the minutemen blow any of this crap away.

and sunny day real estate is a key reason music sucks today.
Posted: Jun 5, 2007 6:41 pm

anyone who pays $500 canadian to see the police reunion in 2007, ROOLZ. there ought to be a "darwin awards" for rock and roll, because that is bleeding suicidal
Posted: Jun 5, 2007 6:46 pm

"which is better, the Police or KORN".

i'm pretty sure Korn has more in common with the haze than sting does. if you think that because they wrote their music that makes them tbetter you're sorely mistaken. is kenny g a lesser of two evils because he's a technical player? shit is shit and given a choice i'll take the high road and split.
Posted: Jun 5, 2007 6:46 pm

Slit Sting's throat

I've hated that fucker ever since I saw em in Memphis...he berated the audience and constantly threw chunks of pineapple into the audience all night.
I've never wanted to crawl on stage and whip someone's ass before that night.
Those first two Police records are decent though.
Posted: Jun 5, 2007 6:53 pm

you can even listen to KORN ?!?
Posted: Jun 5, 2007 7:01 pm

i never have, but i'd rather hear that than sting.
their fans are both douches, but police fans are gay douches.
Posted: Jun 5, 2007 7:46 pm

The 50's and 60's were all about great singles

Agreed.

So was the 70's, for that matter

For rock, maybe, but it was a golden age for soul and reggae.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®