Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / the Misfits aren't pop-punk
Posted: Apr 21, 2007 9:48 pm

it's true!
Posted: Apr 21, 2007 11:18 pm

You're a Misfart
Posted: Apr 22, 2007 12:29 am

Mostly true. Unless you count Static Age. Thats a Pop-punk record if I ever heard one (and I have)
Posted: Apr 22, 2007 12:58 am

true,true
Posted: Apr 22, 2007 1:24 am

i would consider walk among us more of a pop punk record than static age.
Posted: Apr 22, 2007 1:29 am

Angelfuck, Some Kind of Hate- Total tooth rot pop punk fer shure
Posted: Apr 22, 2007 1:31 am

too slow to be pop punk. pop punk has to be all 1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2 and lots of whoa-ohs.
from wikipedia:
Pop punk is a term applied to a style of punk rock music that became commercially successfully during the late 1990s with the band Blink-182, based on earlier groundwork laid by groups such as The Offspring and Green Day.
Posted: Apr 22, 2007 1:34 am

Earth A.D. is too violent to be pop punk, but yeah, I guess some of their earlier works sound kind of poppy...
Posted: Apr 22, 2007 1:40 am

They could be pop-punk if you compare 'em to Misfats.
Posted: Apr 22, 2007 1:40 am

Heard 'em wayyy too much in the 80's....have every record....don't need to hear 'em again....overload......
Posted: Apr 22, 2007 1:42 am

i guess if every punk band that wrote a hook is pop punk then yeah. then the ramones would be pop punk and a million other first wave punk bands. i think pop punk is a derogatory term.
Posted: Apr 22, 2007 1:44 am

20 Pies Hahahahahahaha...
Posted: Apr 22, 2007 2:06 am | Edited by: ottawarockerdude

Pop punk is a term applied to a style of punk rock music that became commercially successfully during the late 1990s with the band Blink-182, based on earlier groundwork laid by groups such as The Offspring and Green Day.

rad! i always thought the ramones, buzzcocks etc were pop punk. what do i know
Posted: Apr 22, 2007 3:15 am

lookout recs started pop-punk if you ask me. having pop in your punk don't make you 'pop-punk'.
Posted: Apr 22, 2007 3:19 am

Additionally, pop punk is a retroactive description for some of the original punk bands of the late 1970s, such as the Ramones, who were influenced by bubblegum pop and popular rock music of the 1950s and 1960s. These bands became the primary influence on bands that were to later develop pop punk. The Ramones were never defined as pop punk during their active years, but are now described by some as pop punk. Other examples include, Buzzcocks, The Rezillos, The Jam, The Undertones, and The Shapes.
Posted: Apr 22, 2007 9:05 am

I thought pop punk was any band with homosexual fathers in it
Posted: Apr 22, 2007 4:09 pm

Not pop punk. Sounds nothing like the Parasites or whatever garbage Mutant Pop was churning out back in the day. Just because something has big hooks & power chords doesn't mean it's pop punk. I will always defend the Misfits, so many incredible songs. People into good music liked this band a lot until Metallica got a hold of them.
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 2:41 pm

and lots of whoa-ohs.

Not pop punk but the Misfits invented the whoa-oh!
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 3:14 pm

according to wiki, misfits are horror punk
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 3:15 pm

I seem to remember the Misfits being a joke UNTIL Metallica got a hold of em
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 4:03 pm

Then you remember wrong - they're definitely considered a joke now, before the Last Caress thing it was mostly those with discriminating taste (as it wasn't easy to find those records).
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 4:33 pm

no, I'm not talking about thinking the music was terrible but I most definitely remember me and most of the people around me thinking they were more of a novelty than a righteous punk band (ala Black Flag, Weirdos, Germs, etc)

not saying I was right or wrong in thinking this but I really don't remember people being all gaga over them till after Metallica latched on
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 4:38 pm

I get ya on that, yeah it was b-movie silliness, but if you read interviews from the time, they seemed pretty serious! Which did, I guess, make them a joke, but once the metal crowd got a hold of it & they decided to reform without the only talented member (who recorded the early stuff by himself and WAS The Misfits), that was why it turned into an actual joke. I don't care, the songs were better than what the Weirdos and Germs were doing anyway, and that's all that matters at this point.
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 4:48 pm

umm I don't even know what we're talking about anymore

The Misfits (with Danzig the only one I know anything about and actually saw at least once that I can remember) were a joke BECAUSE they took themselves so serious for, like I said, me and all the "punks" I knew.

If you really think the Misfits songs were better than the Weirdos or the Germs than all I can say is we have differing tastes in music
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 5:26 pm

If you really think the Misfits songs were better than the Weirdos or the Germs than all I can say is we have differing tastes in music

We differ, and that's beautiful.
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 5:32 pm

The Weirdos always seemed like a joke to me and they have like 2 good songs. Just about every pre-Earth AD song done by the Misfits has incredible hooks and great vocals. Very memorable stuff. And if you want to talk about "taking a joke seriously," how about some of Darby-boy's horrible Freshman Rebel Lit 101 lyrics? Embarassin' (note - I love the Germs).
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 5:33 pm

Static Age is GREAT...the tone is perfect
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 5:42 pm

yeah Darby should have written more gems like
"They all changed their names to Chicago"
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 11:49 pm

They're pop-punky.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®