Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / victims? where?
Posted: Apr 19, 2007 5:37 am

i'm watching the late rerun of countdown with keith olberman (nbc got the package from cho seung-hui, and i'll be damned if i'm going to watch nancy grace, glenn beck, or fox news) and so far no real mention of the victims. no tribute, nothing, and we're 29 minutes into the show. i see a lot of tv during the day, and it's been all cho seung-hui, especially today. it's sickening. i haven't looked super hard, but have found numerous sites and articles about the victims on the internet, but hardly any on tv. and they keep talking about copycat killers. duh, you give any angry, loner freak that much attention and they're going to bite. it's not the media's fault for making this happen, it's the media's fault for making it worse and happen over and over.
here are some i found quick, in case anyone cares or hasn't seen them yet:

http://clicked.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2007/04/17/154822.aspx

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2007/virginiatech.shootings/victims/index. html

http://blogs.abcnews.com/va/
Posted: Apr 19, 2007 5:46 am

11:44, first real mention of victims.
Posted: Apr 19, 2007 5:49 am

The Taliban regime was ousted by US-led forces in 2001 but the former rulers and their followers have since hit back with a bloody insurgency that has already left around 1,000 people dead this year, most of them rebels.

Amnesty said that the Taliban had burned down at least 183 schools between 2005 and 2006, and noted that its military rulebook "explicitly sanctions targeting and killing civilians."

The group also said that a Taliban fatwa, or religious edict, called for the death of any person who supported the foreign forces in
Afghanistan
Posted: Apr 19, 2007 5:51 am

FOUR car bombs detonated in a co-ordinated attack have killed more than 190 people in Baghdad in the deadliest attacks in the city since US and Iraqi forces launched a security crackdown aimed at halting the country's slide into sectarian civil war.

One car bomb alone at a bustling market in the mainly Shiite Sadriya neighbourhood killed 140 people and wounded 150, police have said.

"The street was transformed into a swimming pool of blood," said Ahmed Hameed, a shopkeeper near the scene.

Among the other attacks to have struck the capital, police have said a suicide car bomber killed 35 people and wounded more than 70 at a checkpoint in Sadr City, stronghold of the firebrand cleric Moqtada al-Sadr.

More were reported killed in two other attacks. All were apparently timed to coincide with each other, hours after Shiite Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki said Iraq would take security control of the whole country from foreign forces by the end of the year.
Posted: Apr 19, 2007 5:52 am

proud to be an american...
Posted: Apr 19, 2007 6:57 am

NBC Nightly News anchor Brian Williams called the material "disturbing" and a "multimedia manifesto." It contains 27 video files of Cho describing his hatred towards the wealthy, and images of him holding weapons.
so when youre walking out of the highrise
you better look out

greed the chosen lust, yeah lust
invest invest invest invest

so when youre feeling good in your chrysler
better
LOOK OUT
Posted: Apr 19, 2007 6:59 am

thy kingdom come
thy will be done
on earth as it is in heaven

its the will of my dad, folks.
give thanks.
Posted: Apr 19, 2007 8:01 am

one of my friends on livejournal had actually dedicated a post to the victims that she found on myspace. it's kinda weird looking at it. cuz she just put the links. and looking at the myspace of a dead person just freaks me out.
Posted: Apr 19, 2007 10:13 am

thy kingdom come
thy will be done
on earth as it is in heaven

I just keep thinking about what little pussies those columbine shooters must have been. They had ten times the firepower, twice the manpower, and took out not even half the number of people. This koreaman, on the other hand, must have been stone cold to do all that shit with two handguns. I mean, fuck him and all, but he did set a new record.
Posted: Apr 19, 2007 3:15 pm

one of my friends on livejournal had actually dedicated a post to the victims that she found on myspace. it's kinda weird looking at it. cuz she just put the links. and looking at the myspace of a dead person just freaks me out.

post links!
Posted: Apr 19, 2007 4:25 pm

So now this dude will replace Anna Nicole on Nancy Grace etc etc etc...thank the lawd for that.
Posted: Apr 19, 2007 5:06 pm

I wonder if Korean dude had a brain tumor pressing on his amygdala, like that Whitman guy did. Plus, didn't his parents own a dry cleaning place? Carcinogen city...
Posted: Apr 19, 2007 11:21 pm

It's the media's job to report this stuff even if it seems to glorify the guy. What else do you expect them to do? The only thing we can do is IGNORE it all. I recommend staying away from TV and radio. Newspapers can provide the proper distance, at least for me.

My local paper, to their credit, did run several articles on various victims. A lot of that info's probably just being assembled now.
Posted: Apr 19, 2007 11:43 pm

i've noticed that the NY Times had a full graphic of the victims from the very first few hours...

to continue what finnark said... and having worked in live tv, yes, it DOES take a lot more time to assemble info on victims. you have more info on the perpetrator coming at you --- plus, how to do a good, factual and decent job covering the victims? you gotta talk to their friends and family and its not the kind of thing you can force them to do - talk to the press... at a time like that.

non stop news is the bane of good news coverage, i have to say....it makes for weak coverage and ups the tabloid factor exponentially

at every television or print place i have worked, i have implemented my own personal news dicta - we do not mention the name of the person who shot john lennon. we refer to him simply as "john lennon's murderer." most of the time, sicko killers just want to be noticed. why give them that wish after they've done so much damage?
Posted: Apr 19, 2007 11:50 pm

Posted: Apr 20, 2007 12:25 am

Actually, I thought they were giving reports on the victims pretty darned quick. I saw about "Stack" very early on, and the reporting of his story really moved me.
This morning on Today they started the show with the report about the package, but Matt Lauer went to great lengths to say that not everyone in the news department there was for reporting that at all.
He also said that they had had interviews with the victims family scheduled for today, but many of them had cancelled because they were airing what little footage they did.
Personally, I think any insight you can gain into "the mind of a killer" is important for people to see.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®