Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / I FINALLY get to hear the new Cheater Slicks
Posted: Apr 17, 2007 1:37 am

It's been a long wait. A few of the new songs posted on their myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/cheaterslicks

Now I just need to wait little longer to hear the rest of the album in a few weeks.
Posted: Apr 17, 2007 1:43 am

God Damn great. I can't wait for this!
Posted: Apr 17, 2007 2:20 am

i've had the cd-r for a year. it's easily the best thing they've done since Forgive Thee. BUT... there are alot of people that think Refried Dreams and Yer Last Record are unbeatable. I'm not one of those. In order of greatness to me:

1. Forgive Thee
2. Don't Like You
3. Whiskey
4. Skid Marks ( I know it's not a proper album, but...)
5. Yer Last Record

I don't rate Refried Dreams. It kinda bores me.

I've never heard Destination Lonely cuz I'm a big gay posuer. but... this new one is along the lines of Forgive Thee to my ears, although there are songs on that record that I don't think can be touched by anybody. But I digress, it's one of those kinda records.

Grave Blankets are getting close :)
Posted: Apr 17, 2007 3:02 am | Edited by: levon

My faves gotta be...

1. Don't Like You
2. Refried Dreams
3. Whiskey
4. Yer Last Record
5. Forgive Thee
6. Destination Lonely

never heard Skidmarks. Shit. The Wedding Song/Walk up the Street 45 fucking kills too. As does the Chaos one.
Posted: Apr 17, 2007 3:10 am

never heard Skidmarks.

dude.

same to be said for me with Dest. Loney but you MUST hear "Please Give Me Something" and "Dark Night" from that LP.

E FUCKING SSENTIAL!!!
Posted: Apr 17, 2007 3:24 am

Walk up the Street

I was singing this today.
Posted: Apr 17, 2007 3:33 am

Better yet, get the CD version Skidmarks, which has Flashback and Bruno's Night Out on it.

I think disc 1 of Forgive Thee is the best they've ever done. The second CD doesn't do as much for me.

I can't wait to hear this new album. And the Cheater Slicks need to come to Toronto in support of it.
Posted: Apr 17, 2007 3:36 am

Destination Lonely is the sentimental favourite for me, even though it's an anomaly. I listened to that record week in and week out for about a year when it came out. Their cover of "This Life of Mine" is one of the best 60s updates ever.
Posted: Apr 17, 2007 4:16 am

i have to stop listening to refried dreams, it makes me want to kill myself. and any record that has evokes such a visceral reaction is a fucking ton but all the same killing myself would really be a cliched downer.
Posted: Apr 17, 2007 4:19 am

Destination Lonely, sorry rich, you're giving up both your age and your location. I got that one from dave laing whatever year it was, while i was at his place he also played my first listen to dead moon
Posted: Apr 17, 2007 5:35 am

Yeah Bruce, a bunch of us have Dave to thank for hipping us to a bunch of cool shit from the time. He's still got the Clowes art up on the wall. I don't think it's their best (that's Yer Last Record for me) but still, it's a killer!
Posted: Apr 17, 2007 5:59 am

I think Refried Dreams is the total jam. "Another Stab" rules. That song was a staple of their set for years. One time a year or so ago, Tom & I were listening to that album & Tom couldn't remember the song. George Washington might be their best song. There was a time when they did not play a set w/o George Washington or Think I'm Comin' Down. Those cuts are absolute monsters.

If I'm not mistaken, Yer Last Record is the only Slicks record that does not have a cover song. There was a joke in the studio that the record after that would have to be called "For Our New Fans."

Shenanigan, Hatchling.... One of you guys has to be lurking around here somewhere. Chime in! What do you think is your best work?

Grave Blankets are getting close :)

I like Grave Blankets, both as a band & personally, but kindly tell me to what in the world are they getting close.
Posted: Apr 17, 2007 9:57 am

During the years, I collected every damn note the Cheater Slicks have released on wax. It is probably the only band that puts my state of mind so perfectly into music. Damn, I might create a Cheater Slicks shrine at home and burn incense before sleeping! Cheater Slicks are GODS!!!
Posted: Apr 17, 2007 12:53 pm

I like Grave Blankets, both as a band & personally, but kindly tell me to what in the world are they getting close.

To clearing a packed room in Cheater Slicks record time!!!! Which is probably why our label is called "Record Time!"

But, my dear, if memory serves, (admittedly, mine usually doesn't) you have only seen our second show ever - like a year and a half ago!!! (we still suck)

Back to the subject - I wanted to call our label Yer Last Records.

Cheater Slicks are GODS!!!
Posted: Apr 17, 2007 1:37 pm

I'll answer this for my old friend Gene. Thanks for listening to the new stuff. It sounds ALOT better on vinyl than on the shitspace (naturally). I'm glad we're still playing (I think better than ever) and that now we can move on to writing new stuff. I can't rate our records, I'll leave that up to others, but I'm thankful that people have listened over the years.
Posted: Apr 17, 2007 1:39 pm

Hey, Shenanigan, e-mail me when you have a moment, please.

master (at) thesonsabitches dot com
Posted: Apr 17, 2007 2:53 pm

New songs sound great, can't wait to hear the record.

Destination Lonely is awesome, it took the longest to grow on me, but it may be my favorite. Although, each album is my favorite at some point (except Don't Like You, for some reason). "This life Of Mine" is incredible, and the originals fit in seamlessly with the covers, my fave being "Time and Again", always gets stuck in my head...

Someone should put out Forgive Thee on LP....
Posted: Apr 17, 2007 3:10 pm

Y'all should try getting to the west coast some time.
Posted: Apr 17, 2007 3:22 pm

there are songs on that record that I don't think can be touched by anybody.

Grave Blankets are getting close

Whoops, it was supposed to be in that order. I'm referring specifically to "Something You Say." Grave Blankets rule!
Posted: Apr 17, 2007 5:29 pm

I think I got Destination Lonely first, so I've always dug it. Don't have Refried Dreams. All Slicks stuff is good, at least all I've heard. Not many bands have made it this far remaining totally legit - maybe it's because there's never been an explosion in popularity, maybe everyone's more committed than usual. The new tracks sound like old tracks - all good. Great cover as usual, too, one of the few bands that can really own a cover tune.
Posted: Apr 17, 2007 5:30 pm

Yes.
Posted: Apr 17, 2007 6:39 pm

bazooka find yourself a copy of destination lonely NOW!
Posted: Apr 17, 2007 6:40 pm

They're fucking expensive!

I got a cd-r on the way though.
Posted: Apr 17, 2007 8:07 pm

"Run Run Run" is awesome.
Posted: Apr 17, 2007 8:26 pm

"Destroy You" is about Golden Error.
Posted: Apr 17, 2007 8:30 pm

Destination Lonely, sorry rich, you're giving up both your age and your location.
How does this give up his location. I'm confused, Bruce. And you know I'm not easily confused.
Posted: Apr 17, 2007 8:32 pm

it came out on dog meat records
Posted: Apr 17, 2007 9:27 pm

Dog Meat seemed to get decent distribution Stateside, or was it just because I was living in San Francisco in the 90s? I've got a fair number of their releases in my collection, including Destination Lonely. Although, I would love to go to Australia one day.
Posted: Apr 17, 2007 9:31 pm

geez yr thinking to hard about it, i was just saying that i got mine from dave when i was down there, yeah it does seem like that had good stateside distro but i think i always got my stuff directly from him
Posted: Apr 17, 2007 9:38 pm

geez yr thinking to hard about it
Aye. I over complicate.
Posted: Apr 17, 2007 10:25 pm

"Destroy You" is about Golden Error.

GUFFAW!!
Posted: Apr 17, 2007 10:39 pm

If these LPs aren't at the show Friday, I'm kicking Lou in the nuts!
Posted: Apr 18, 2007 6:50 am

you have only seen our second show ever

Really? That set's pretty good. You really gave me something to shoot that night.

Funny as that might be, it's a little harsh, don'tcha think?

Wanna hear my rockin' weekend? Cheater Slicks on Friday, then I'm blowing off Blackout Fest in Athens to go see Donnie Iris at the Al Rosa Villa Saturday night.
Posted: Apr 18, 2007 1:39 pm

Funny as that might be, it's a little harsh, don'tcha think?

OK OK, but he's at least getting a gentle noogie.
Posted: Apr 18, 2007 3:12 pm

Shoot him in the face.
Posted: Apr 18, 2007 7:08 pm

just put on youtube...

There's one more to come, a 9 minute cover of Suicide's "Girl" back in '92. Hope those URL things work...
Posted: Apr 18, 2007 8:13 pm

Woah! Thanks for the vids! "That footage of "Dark Knight" is the sickest, man!
Posted: Apr 18, 2007 8:31 pm

It was really fun for me to go back and watch these. I didn't even know we had the Alpo show on tape.
Posted: Apr 18, 2007 8:33 pm

Your go-go disc is going out today, btw.
Posted: Apr 18, 2007 8:37 pm

that footage is REALLY really awesome.
Posted: Apr 18, 2007 8:40 pm

Tom's hair rules!
Posted: Apr 18, 2007 8:42 pm

I wish I wasn't at work so I could watch that footage. But its ok. I can wait 4 hours until I get home.
Posted: Apr 18, 2007 8:43 pm

NO. YOU. CAN'T.
Posted: Apr 18, 2007 10:21 pm

2.5 hours and I'm doing fine.
Posted: Apr 18, 2007 10:26 pm

That's what I keep saying.
Posted: Apr 18, 2007 10:28 pm

2.5 hours and I'm doing fine.

NO. YOU. AREN'T.
Posted: Apr 18, 2007 10:42 pm

That's what I keep saying

Should have seen them in 2000 when they supported Andre on the Black Godfather tour. I missed the other time they toured the west coast w/Necessary Evils. I had the plane ticket, but absolutely no other money to function once I got out there, so I just couldn't do it. One of the few reasons it was a good idea for me to cut back on drinking.

To Cheater Slicks & fans alike, I apologize, 'cause I have hours upon hours of live footage. I need to strap on a set of nuts, get a MAC, & sit down with them to really make a devastating DVD. I'm sure both the Hatchling & Shenanigan would enjoy it.
Posted: Apr 18, 2007 10:44 pm

Should have seen them in 2000 when they supported Andre on the Black Godfather tour. I missed the other time they toured the west coast w/Necessary Evils.

I saw both in Vegas! I dj'd both and the one with the N'evils was my 25th b-day! GREAT MEMORIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Apr 18, 2007 11:00 pm

The Andre footage from Sacramento...amazing! Put that out!
Posted: Apr 18, 2007 11:20 pm

I need to strap on a set of nuts, get a MAC, & sit down with them to really make a devastating DVD.

Sometimes, you just gotta man-up and do it, Gene. I just uploaded one of my photos from last year. I had to edit out the red-eye on Dana, but a really good live shot, using a soft-focus with an f-stop of 20.

Cheater Slicks - Live at the Buccaneer
Posted: Apr 18, 2007 11:37 pm

I remember that flying saucer, but I swear I never saw that helicopter...

"Girl" is up on youtube now. It takes some dedication to get through, I have to admit.
Posted: Apr 19, 2007 12:43 am

Does anybody have a pic of Dana from the 1st Oblivs reunion where he's levitating in front of the drums? I want everybody to see I wasn't hallucinating that shit. It was amazing!
Posted: Apr 19, 2007 5:42 am | Edited by: Mullett

The Andre footage from Sacramento...amazing! Put that out!

You know what, though, Shenanigan, I am not sure I would edit that without you or Dana. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Dave would like to be in on it, too.

I need to strap on a set of nuts, get a MAC, & sit down with them to really make a devastating DVD.

Sometimes, you just gotta man-up and do it, Gene.

The new Mac I really like is 5000 clams. That would be a serious money punch in my taint right now. Besides, I really don't know the 1st thing about raw video except for the fact that it chews up massive MBs.
Posted: Apr 20, 2007 7:26 pm

I hear they might be playing in CHicago...>?>?>??
Posted: Apr 20, 2007 7:26 pm

in May..i hope.
Posted: Apr 22, 2007 5:50 am

I just saw the cover art - AMAZINGS!
I can't wait to own it.
Posted: Apr 22, 2007 12:47 pm

Hey, what do you know!?! The records were at the show AND we kicked Lou in the nuts.

You had it right on, Nick.

What a night! 20 years strong & still laying waste to punks that get caught in the treads of their shoes. Seeing Will Pew flip over backwards 6 feet off the ground while holding onto that column the whole time was really, really cool.
Posted: Apr 22, 2007 5:22 pm

Seeing Will Pew flip over backwards

How's about Will Foster on sax??? That was rad.
Posted: Apr 23, 2007 4:55 am

How's about Will Foster on sax???

He had it nearby & wasn't going to bring it in. Wil's contribution to this album can't be underappreciated. He did a lot lot.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®