Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / I'm moving...
Posted: Apr 14, 2007 10:44 pm

to The Dalles!!!

My brother bought the second-oldest home in town (built 1864)- it's fucking rad. It's got this cool brick warehouse attatched (built 1886) and it's a double lot. Down to the studs/subfloor in most places. Also it needs to be re-framed, I guess it predates modern notions of timber-framed buildings. So we got to check out the inside today, and learned he'd get to close early. Sweet. And then I came home and found out my sublet's ending a month earlier than I expected. So I'm moving to the Dalles in three weeks. I'm gonna open a hotdog stand.

Anyone that wants to come out for a weekend and help out with work is welcome to. My folks own a very secluded/private patch of about 80 acres that overlooks town that we'll be camping on 'til the house is livable. Perfect place to get fucked up and not have to worry 'bout stumblin/drivin home.

WHOOHOO!!
Posted: Apr 14, 2007 10:54 pm

Whattaya gonna DO out there en dem Dalles?
Posted: Apr 14, 2007 10:58 pm

kill kennedys?

Posted: Apr 14, 2007 11:04 pm

Can I bring my guns?
Posted: Apr 14, 2007 11:09 pm

They let you have guns?!?!
Posted: Apr 14, 2007 11:28 pm

Can I bring my guns?

Hmmm, probably?

They let you have guns?!?!

YEAH!

I'm gonna open a hotdog stand.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 12:19 am

Oh, I see....
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 1:29 am

What the hell is a Dalles? Is it like Dallas, but more french?
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 1:42 am

Its the Dalles, and you pronounce it like, shit, I dunno how to make it phonetic.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 2:15 am

Rhymes with "pals" and I think it's the only city in th country with a "the" in front of it. Like, the exit you take to get my parents property says "West The Dalles" and the otherone says "Downtown The Dalles."

Population: 12,500. Watch out, townies!
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:02 am

Q: What do you call a drum circle without any drums?

A: The Dalles

Good Grief and Good Luck. Why Hot Dogs? I betcha they're dying for something to call unique or exotic, like a crepes cart, except there's probably not room for that and the Cousins commandant will run you out of town. Get a panel van/Sprinter and do jobsite lunches. Dirty hippy.

All the best drugs flow through the Dalles.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:04 am

You should try and get a beer/wine license and run cheap movies through your brother's warehouse space. That's what the Dalles needs, cheap movies with beer and pizza!
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:05 am

Couches, disco ball, yeah, cheap movies. You could also rent it out as a "hall" for weddings and underage shows.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:05 am

Brothers Dixon, LLC
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:17 am

Hot dogs 'cause they're cheap and easy and the set-up is simple. It might be a few years before The Dalles can handle exotic... leave that shit in Hood River.

There's a billboard that lines the long side of the lawn, we were thinking of projecting movies on the back of that. But, if you're interested, the local historic theater in downtown is for sale. I think they want 400k.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:23 am

You know, Google is supposed to be moving into the Dalles, so, that place is going to pop soon. Lucky your brother. I'd totally be down with that theater too. I keep shitting myself that I didn't pick up the one in McMinnville when it was for sale about 7 years back.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:31 am

Yeah Google's built a few server farm type buildings. If I had the cash I'd jump on the theater too.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:34 am

Yeah, all those servers need a place to unwind when they're offline, you know. Hmmmmmm. All you need is a bit down, a loan and then a business loan. Hmmmmmm. What's your brother going to do with his warehouse?
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:35 am

If I had the cash I'd jump on the theater too.

You don't need cash to jump on anything. Just comfortable shoes.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:35 am

Oh, and where are you going to get your cart/stand/whatever? You making it or buying it?
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:38 am

I tell you, I'd totally move to the Dalles. I wanted to move to Bend about a while back too, but the housing boomed there as it became a Cali-ternate destination and lots of yuppies with big ideas "escaped" there. The Dalles will probably be a smaller version of that, but, unlike Hood River, I don't think the Dalles has building moratoriums, so, it may fare much better than HR, but not as much as Bend. It's ripe.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:39 am

Well, my brother's warehouse is attatched to the actual wood house, and is long and narrow. I think that's where we're going to live, initially- it's the only part of the whole structure with working plumbing. And I actually have a hot-dog cart. Well, it's my roomates, but he's in NY for a few months and we just got kicked out of our place, so I'm just going to claim it before he gets home.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:39 am

Joe, you should totally have a think about the place. Figure out what you can lead the fine people of the Dalles to believe they need, be it food, service or product.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:40 am

The Dalles is totally going to turn into hood river/bend in five years. Now's your chance, Troll.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:41 am | Edited by: The Troll

Well, keep me up to date on the situation. I'm curious what the permitting is like for food carts there. Watch out for territorial warfare. I had a friend from Chicago that got in a long term war over hot dog stand locations.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:41 am

The movie theater is dying to be made into a McMennimin's type joint. It's old and has a pretty grand marquee. And it's right next to the bowling alley.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:42 am

It's definitely food for thought. I've got some irons in the fire here, already, but I've been itching to move.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:42 am

There are NO OTHER food carts. I mean, there's a couple of taco trucks, but they're sorta on the outskirts. There's nothing in downtown.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:43 am

McMennimin's type joint.

That's exactly why I passed on the McMinnville place - the McMenniman's new Hotel opened across the street - can't compete on the beer front and movie prints are expensive.

So how far from Portland is The Dalles?

We're gonna have a huge party/weekender out there this summer. I'll keep y'all posted.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:44 am

There's nothing in downtown.

There's probably a reason for that. If you can get a permit, you could establish yourself early and then grow into actual retail space.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:44 am

The Dalles is about 80 miles east of Portland.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:45 am

So how far from Portland is The Dalles?

What is it, like 50 miles?
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:45 am

Oh, shit. A little too late.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:46 am

They don't let Canandian-Lovers there, Bowie. You'll have to just keep passing on.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:46 am

establish yourself early and then grow into actual retail space.

That's sort of what we're thinking. Have the cart, establish history and land use, and build out that half of the lot. Maybe do a brew-pub or something.

The lot fronts two streets, the house opens onto 4th (quieter + more residential) and then the yard/extra lot extends straight back to 3rd (busy and commerical). The cart will face 3rd.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:48 am

Damn, that's perfect. Are you thinking of staying there for a while or are you just short terming it with your brother?
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:48 am

The whole deal is zoned dual use commercial residential, so we live in the bottom of the warehouse/house, rent the upper floor to offices (CPA, masseuse, whatever) and then any building we build we top with apartments. It's really killer.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:49 am

Super jealous. It's about time, slacker.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:49 am

I'll be out there at least through the summer, if not longer. Sort of playing it by ear.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:50 am

They don't let Canandian-Lovers there, Bowie. You'll have to just keep passing on.

Darn. I can't live in the Dalles. How will I go on?
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:50 am

It's kind of amazing. It needs a TON of work though... new roof, new floors through-out, new walls, plumbing, heating, electric, etc.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:51 am

Well, it'll definitely be a very good experience for you, at least entrepreneurally speaking - and life-wise too, I suppose.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:51 am

That is pretty damned cool, Joe.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:52 am

Yeah, it'll be fun. Visiting Goners get free hot dogs!
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:52 am

Maybe we can trade labor this summer. I was adding on a dormer but I don't know if I can swing the time to do it all myself.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:53 am

Perhaps. I really don't know what I'm doing at all, my brother is the builder/handy man. He has explain everything to me.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:53 am

But I learn fast.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:54 am

FREE HOT DOGS!! PARTY IN THE DALLES!!!

Whoo-hoo!!!

Darn. I can't live in the Dalles. How will I go on?

Yes, how can you? All those young country gentlemen, reading the Auto Trader's Weekly and going to league night - they'll be devastated without golden rays of your angelic visage.

I'm still gonna go to Gonerfest though.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:55 am

young country gentlemen, reading the Auto Trader's Weekly and going to league night

Its like all of my childhood dreams coming true.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:57 am

Tammy says she wants to go to OR now for vacation, instead of the WI/MI trip this year.
Guess I should probably get that job sometime soon...
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:57 am

I'm still gonna go to Gonerfest though.

You're free to stay here again, if you like.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:58 am

Then you'll be on MY turf, Jack Stands!!

All located within a half mile of eachother in downtown: The Elks Lodge, The Masons, and the Eagles Lodge. I'm pretty sure there's a Kiwanis or Rottary club too. Mad fraternal organizations. And a bar called the Wagon. Also a bar called the Sugarbowl. C'mon Bowie, you can handle it.

You're free to stay here again, if you like

YEEHAW!!
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:59 am

I like the sound of the bar called the Wagon.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:59 am

Tammy says she wants to go to OR now for vacation, instead of the WI/MI trip this year.

We got free hot dogs!! Oh yeah, and a place to stay.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 4:00 am

the bar called the Wagon.

I know, right? Are you on? Off? Goin' into? Comin' out of? It's crazy!
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 4:02 am

Crazings!
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 4:36 am

Job? You don't need a job. What you need is your business plan done and some sort of company established to "fund" your "research" trip to the NW. Not vacation. For instance, I dunno, you're starting a coffee roasting biz. Maybe you want to check out equipment up here. Maybe you want to talk to other similar business owners to get input on the good, the bad, the affordable particulars, tricks and traps. Come tax day 4/08, you've got something to write off. Dude! I've made lots of trips on the business ticket.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 4:55 am

business plan done
I still have the OG, but felt like it needed a revamp; eye-popping with a faster elevator speech. I think I wrote myself into a corner, but I'll get it fixed tomorrow.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 5:01 am

Informational interviews or casual drinks with similar business owners about proper content can, beyond the direct help, lead to possible leads on good local banks for loans. Local banks love local business loans. Other local business owners love to love local banks who've given them money and love reciprocating, etc., etc.. They often have a particular style they like and someone who has already received a loan from the same place you are attempting to get one from might know the style that works well for that lender. Ask to see a copy, if they're amenable. This ain't no paper for poli-sci, this is work you want to do. Networking amongst the local small business owners is crucial. Whatever. You probably already know this and I need another beer before I go watch 'Children of Men'.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 6:15 am

Dude, you better be careful with that offer. I might actually come for a visit and I can eat a LOT of hot dogs! There are photos of Budget Rock 2006 that prove it.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 9:34 am

Any time, Hugh. Any time.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 9:48 am

hey joe... my roommates in brooklyn (ny) built their bbq restaurant after a year of establishing their presence as vendors at all the street fairs. i can send you a play by play of their business development - which looked invisible to the outside world, but was very carefully planned, as much as those things can be when they are contingent on whimsical and capricious elements like weather, customers, etc.... or i can put you in touch w/ them and you can ask em yerself
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 9:50 am

Please do.

dixon (dot) joe (at) gmail (dot) com

Thanks!!
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 2:03 pm

hey joe... my roommates in brooklyn (ny) built their bbq restaurant after a year of establishing their presence as vendors at all the street fairs.

is this Bar BQ in south slope? that place is awesome.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 7:30 pm

The Dalles has one of the best classic rock stations around. It is an interesting place--like a total Land Time Forgot town with the old turn of the century brick storefronts still standing amonsgt a bunch of industrial run down crap. At least that is what I think of when I think of The Dalles....but the gorge is lovely there too. Have a good one...are you gonna go into Hood River and windsurf?
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 7:35 pm

hey joe, i might need a summer job. you guys want to pay a dude to help with construction stuff this summer? i promise i won't eat too many hot dogs
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 7:56 pm

is this Bar BQ in south slope? that place is awesome.

yes indeed it is! glad you like it.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 8:38 pm

hey joe, i might need a summer job. you guys want to pay a dude to help with construction stuff this summer? i promise i won't eat too many hot dogs

We don't got enough money to pay anyone, but we could maybe offer free rent.
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 10:40 pm

Holy crap. I'm trying to open a hot dog stand, too. I thought I was the only one dumb enough to try it. SWEET. Thing is, here in Tacoma, you have to have a clean water source w/in 150 feet of the cart, which kinda negates the whole portable cart thing. I'll let ya know when I find the loophole and get rich.
Posted: Apr 16, 2007 2:40 am | Edited by: saispas

I heard the carts are 10 grand each...is this so? Just a little rolling hot dog cart???
Posted: Apr 16, 2007 3:30 am

They're pretty expensive. But I think I'm gonna build one. And, I actually already have a really simple one to use while I build out my dope one. So no spending 10k for me.
Posted: Apr 16, 2007 6:01 am

you can get a basic one new for 2-3 grand, or get all plushed out with boilers and a grill for 5 to 6 grand. theres about 3,579 different versions out there.

ct
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®