Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / D-G-D-G-B-D Appreciation Thread
Posted: Apr 12, 2007 8:02 pm

Anybody ever mess around with Open G tuning? I just started the other night when I got bored. It's amazing how easy all those Stones songs are and slide shit doesn't take much to sound good.
I don't think I'd be able to spend the time necessary to use it for myself. I have to think too much to try and pull off things I'd do automatically in EADGBE. If I woulda learned it ten years ago it would be useful by now.
Posted: Apr 12, 2007 8:07 pm

Ever try E-E-E-E-E-E?
Posted: Apr 12, 2007 8:07 pm

Yeeee Haaa....I think it's like every Zep song Page played an acoustic guitar track to...Yeah makes sliding like gold. That's the point I think. Fun to goof around but, not digging that sound mostly.
Posted: Apr 12, 2007 8:08 pm | Edited by: I am the Arm

damn, back from the dead.....you're haunting us again, "Pal O" Mine?
Posted: Apr 12, 2007 8:12 pm

B TUNING!

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!!!!!
Posted: Apr 12, 2007 8:17 pm

damn, back from the dead...

For a little bit. I don't get to spend long stretches on the internets like I used to. I missed The Funeral Director. I wanted to see it.
Posted: Apr 12, 2007 8:22 pm

I play a few songs in open G in the Touch-Me-Nots. It's amazing how easy it is to play some songs that way. It's especially easy if you write or learn a song in that tuning. If you learned a song in regular tuning, it's not as easy to convert the song later. The main problem (for me at least) is when I go from regular tuning to the Open G tuning. The guitar never stays in tune after I switch. I now have a separate guitar (cheapo strat knockoff) that I use just for the open tuning songs, but it's a pain in the neck to have to bring an extra guitar to a gig just for a couple of songs.
Posted: Apr 12, 2007 8:25 pm | Edited by: bvalentine

For all practical purposes EADGBE is probably the most pain-in-the-ass tuning around. But it's what everybody learns first. And once you half-way know your way around, other tunings can be like learning from scratch. Unless you got a great ear.

I guess it's like learning a 2nd language.
Posted: Apr 12, 2007 8:32 pm

I missed The Funeral Director. I wanted to see it.

We played a quick 16 minute set....First shows are all the same except when you have the front 10 people (this includes Gore) spraying beers on your face as you play... Was a blast but, more to come.
Posted: Apr 12, 2007 8:38 pm

And once you half-way know your way around, other tunings can be like learning from scratch.
Totally! I wouldn't even attempt to learn one of my regular tuning songs in open tuning or vice versa. I haven't got the patience, even though they're just a few chords.

All of the songs I play in open G were never played in regular tunings. I just sort of wrote those songs while I was screwing around with the open tuning and that's the way they stayed. I'm not even sure what chords I'm playing on those songs. I just remember those songs by writing down what fret I need to barre for each chord.
Posted: Apr 12, 2007 9:10 pm

My tuning lately has been E-B-E-B-E-E
Posted: Apr 12, 2007 9:22 pm

My tuning lately has been E-B-E-B-E-E

Man. See, I really wish I could read that and be like "ah yeah, I should try that". But for all practical purposes I don't see the point in alternate tunings. Everything I played around on in open-G I could easily figure out in standard tuning. The only big thing I can see with Open Tunings is using a slide.

But then again I can't say that I have a really good ear. I can figure stuff out, but it's not instant. I play more from feel and repetition. I'm accustomed to where things are in standard tuning, the various rock-n-roll cliches and where I'm gonna what to put my fingers next.
Posted: Apr 12, 2007 9:23 pm

I tried EEEEEE before. With ALL E STRINGS as well! The top 3 stayed in tune, but the higher pitched ones wouldn't for some reason. Strain on the neck I guess.....
Posted: Apr 12, 2007 9:25 pm

i play slide all the time in regular tuning.
dropped d is where its at! jon spencer roolz
Posted: Apr 12, 2007 9:37 pm

The first time I dorked around with the open G tuning I figured out how to play every Rolling Stones ever in about ten minutes. It is great if you are loaded and can only get two of your fingers to work or if you only have one pair of pants.
Posted: Apr 12, 2007 9:56 pm

The first time I dorked around with the open G tuning I figured out how to play every Rolling Stones ever in about ten minutes. It is great if you are loaded and can only get two of your fingers to work or if you only have one pair of pants.

Yeah, me too!! I think this is why Kieth played in that tuning too. I hear that only used the 5 strings (took the big one off).
Posted: Apr 12, 2007 10:11 pm | Edited by: Seamus

This is the Skip James' tuning if I aint' mistaken.

I really like the DADFsAD Open D tuning. When I started using it I figured I would run out of ideas pretty quick with it, but I haven't yet.

But for all practical purposes I don't see the point in alternate tunings.

It's the dissonance you get from ringing strings and the sliding sound (even without a slide) you get from changing chord positions. Also certains movements are easier (and certain are more difficult) so you tend to play and write much differently. It's not just a matter of an a-chord being an a-chord being an a-chord.
Posted: Apr 12, 2007 10:37 pm | Edited by: I am the Arm

DADF#AD is

I think it's like every OTHER Zep song Page played an acoustic guitar track to
Posted: Apr 12, 2007 10:39 pm

I hear that only used the 5 strings

Yep, that way you don't have to bother with muting the low string with your thumb when you've swallowed a toxic cocktail of pills, heroin and mezcal.
Posted: Apr 13, 2007 12:17 am

I've been listening to the first Meat Puppets LP today and now I'm listening to Zen Arcade. I really like those kind of chiming open chords. Are they using some sort of weird tuning? Or is it some weird SST thing? When I learned guitar, I took off the E strings to make chords easier then met Kat from babes In Toyland who said she made her own chords up so just did that. When I put the E strings back on it was like taking the stabilisers off your bike!
Posted: Apr 13, 2007 12:19 am

Huh?
Posted: Apr 13, 2007 12:27 am

Huh???
Posted: Apr 13, 2007 12:29 am

what about ABBACAB?
Posted: Apr 13, 2007 12:31 am

Listen to 'Newest Industry' - i really like those sort of open chords or whatever there called. Its too scientific for my tiny brain to figure out
Posted: Apr 13, 2007 12:37 am | Edited by: germiah

I don't think Bob Mould used open tunings on Zen Arcade. He plays lots of suspended chords off of open chords. Kind of in the same vein as Roger McGuinnin of the Byrds. A lot of it has to do with how insanely loud he played to. The Meat Puppets might have used open tunnings. Both bands ate lots of Acid and Speed. Mabey that is what you are hearing.
Posted: Apr 13, 2007 12:44 am

hEY THAT'S THE cORD pRoGReSSiON TO" I Want You Arround" --ramones
Posted: Apr 13, 2007 12:48 am

Learn to play guitar the right way fucker, otherwise you're playing just like Pheobe Buffet on that 'Girl' show friends.
Posted: Apr 13, 2007 12:58 am | Edited by: Shaun A

Acid and speed. thats such a killer combination. I need to get back into that. The worse thing about acid is the detrimental effect on your music taste - ie: appreciation of British psych like Kippington Lodge and a tolerance of Toby Twirl or Crocheted Doughnut Ring. Tomorrow do rule though. i can still appreciate them apart from that fucking song with the kids on.
Posted: Apr 13, 2007 2:37 pm

I usually use NAMBLA.
Posted: Apr 13, 2007 2:38 pm

HEE=HAWW!
Posted: Apr 13, 2007 3:42 pm

A lot of it has to do with how insanely loud he played to.

Live yes, but on Zen Arcade, he didn't even use an amp. Guitar+ Distortion box straight into the board.
Posted: Apr 13, 2007 4:23 pm

I spent the morning fucking around with a tonebender, a chorus pedal and making up open chords. Now to practice my WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAH WAAAAAAAAAAAH HO! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! WHOOOOOOOOOAHHHHHHHHH HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! A-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I also need to become gay and eat a lot more food and go bald. And find a drummer who doesnt wear shoes and a bassist with a curly moustache.
Posted: Apr 13, 2007 4:30 pm

and become gay.
Posted: Apr 13, 2007 4:30 pm

Live yes, but on Zen Arcade, he didn't even use an amp. Guitar+ Distortion box straight into the board.

Eh? How did he get the feedback then?
Posted: Apr 13, 2007 6:49 pm

Guy, I'll guess he was plugged into the board and the board's output was sent to a power amp and monitors. Just a hunch.
Posted: Apr 13, 2007 6:53 pm

Crazings!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®