Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / US bands not touring the UK
guy
Posted: Dec 29, 2003 2:47 pm

Is it true that some US bands don't tour the UK because the money here is so poor?

I know the weather is shit and things are expensive, but we need the rock here, dammit!

I've missed out on the Cool Jerks, Reigning Sound and Lost Sounds this year. They all played mainland Europe, but not the UK.

(Any references to bad teeth will not be acknowledged. I had several years of painful orthodontistry, so don't even start)

uleeshuh
Posted: Dec 29, 2003 5:27 pm

lost sounds not coming was our booker's choice, not ours. I was kinda shocked to see we weren't going there myself. I know for a fact we are going there late spring or summer.

Robby G
Posted: Dec 29, 2003 5:58 pm

Not going to the UK is indeed all about the money, or the lack thereof.

You have to pay for a ferry and workpermits and then you get 30 quid, a cold pizza, three drink tickets and a floor to crash on. No offense, but that is not worth the time and effort. It means losing money.

(Of course condition are not always like that, but the general fact is that you lose too much money. Simple.)
Robby G
Posted: Dec 29, 2003 6:00 pm

PS Good news: the Little Killers are coming over... For three dates...
By the grace of their record label, who's willing to spend some money on that...
sherman
Posted: Dec 29, 2003 7:38 pm

The only thing that makes it worthwhile to tour uk is if a band is lucky enough to get a John Peel session--about a $1000 gig. (pretty sad if that makes the diff!) Promoting a record by touring doesn't pay much in the long run in England either cause most bands never get paid by the labels there anyway. Brits in general think the "arts" is something others should suffer for and they should get for free. No offense but the Dutch & Germans have a much better take on it!
muddy spear
Posted: Dec 29, 2003 10:29 pm

Most decent bands only go to fucking London anyways. I was lucky enough to see the Deadly Snakes in Manchester on their European tour. There was about four people standing watching them. I was embarassed that such a good band got such a lousy audience. And most of the people there were waiting for the fesivities that follow the band. I wanted to see the Country Teasers but they only bothered playing London (maybe Newcastle too). They played about four fucking shows down there. Pissed me off. Reigning Sound were gonna be my next treat, but now they've gone and done what they've gone and done. What's this about the Little Killers? Don't tell me they're just going to London. Please.
Pear
Posted: Dec 29, 2003 11:22 pm

Usually a 4 person turnout is enough to avoid someplace. Was that on a saturday night?
eric o
Posted: Dec 30, 2003 5:53 am

"By the grace of their record label, who's willing to spend some money on that..."

what does this mean? that the label will pay the band for these gigs? guess who pays for that? the band. recoupables. don't fool yourself.

muddy spear
Posted: Dec 30, 2003 4:36 pm

The Deadly boys played on a Tuesday. There were more than 4 people there, but they weren't particularly interested in the band. However the Dirtbombs played the week before (tuesday again) in the same place, and it was pretty much a sellout. Maybe they were mentioned in the NME or something. It's a cool place that gets some good bands. It's usually close to sell out when decent bands play, but for some reason the Snakes just didn't get the crowd. Sickening.
Robby G
Posted: Dec 30, 2003 6:35 pm

It means label and band split the loss on the UK part (aprox 650 Euro) as promotion costs. They have a 50/50 contract.

And yes the Little Killers will play London, but there's two more dates available. Don't know what the plan is for those. Get in touch if you know a place where 5 or more people will show up... :)

Argh
Posted: Dec 30, 2003 9:00 pm

However the Dirtbombs played the week before (tuesday again) in the same place, and it was pretty much a sellout. Maybe they were mentioned in the NME or something.

They've been mentioned in every single issue of every single UK mag for the last two years, it seems.

Pear
Posted: Dec 31, 2003 1:25 am

Your prayers are answered bub:
http://www.davidleeroth.com/10.html
skinandbones
Posted: Dec 31, 2003 6:42 am

Fuck the UK... play in NEW ZEALAND!!!

Our oral health is next to none.

The Hand
Posted: Dec 31, 2003 2:23 pm

The UK is shitty. Plus it costs a fucking fortune to get there on a ferry. We put on this dyke hardcore band a while ago and told em to leave their van and equipment in europe and come over as foot passengers. It was the only way to get them over. then we lent them equipment. and then nobody showed up. and they had to hitchike back to Dover.
It was a bunch of fun tho. They had a good time and lost no money! If you treat it as an holiday, you'll have a good time!
uleeshuh
Posted: Dec 31, 2003 7:49 pm

The ferry is fun though.
eric o
Posted: Dec 31, 2003 11:35 pm

i love the one about going across the mersey.
muddy spear
Posted: Jan 1, 2004 9:15 pm

I live on the Mersey. Well, beside it. Haven't caught the ferry for a while though. Just remember freezing my balls off when I did.
Schooley
Posted: Jan 5, 2004 7:25 am

From what I hear, the only way to get a crowd in the UK is to get lotsa press in yer limey music magazines. This is pretty much impossible for most of the bands who would post on this news group 'cuz it requires an independant promoter/press agent...
guy
Posted: Jan 5, 2004 2:11 pm

Don't know who the Dirtbombs' promoter is, but it's certainly true that if you have the misfortune to pick up one of the UK music publications (NME, etc.) that they'll be in it, with Mick Collins being referred to as the 'Godfather of the Detroit Scene' (something I don't think he's particularly interested in hearing).

Interestingly though, Dan Kroha, the other person who did the songwriting for the 'influential Detroit garage combo' the Gories, played in London with the Demolition Doll Rods nearly 2 years ago to about 20 people. The Doll Rods rocked, but presumably due to publicity the turnout was crap. So I guess that's what it all comes down to.

Anyhow, I know a few people who put on gigs here in London, and I'm thinking about giving it a go myself, so if you want somewhere to play, please email me on- punkgeezer@yahoo.com. And yes, I know it's a thankless shit job.

Guy

Argh
Posted: Jan 5, 2004 8:11 pm

Speaking of limey music magazines, have any of you guys heard of a magazine called FACT? They are doing a tiny article on Shit Sandwich, and I thought the mag was brand new since I've never heard of it, but apparently it will be in issue #4.
guy
Posted: Jan 6, 2004 2:56 pm

Never heard of FACT. Is it one you have to pay for, or a freebie thing? Do they have a website? The Moto 7" rocks, by the way.
Argh
Posted: Jan 6, 2004 9:14 pm

I have no idea whether it is a freebie or not, the guy said "It's a new magazine that will be in all the indie shops" so maybe it is a free one. No website yet, apparently.

Thanks, I think the moto single rocks too.

Airplane Man
Posted: Jan 6, 2004 10:32 pm

Hey this is Margaret from Mr. Airplane Man. We're planning a UK and European tour for Febuary. Unfortunately we will only be able to play a few London shows due to the expenses of touring the country with low guarantee's. We are also trying to get a hold of gear that we can rent or borrow since it will cost too much to bring our own stuff over. If anyone has any ideas or offers e-mail me at Mr_airplaneman@hotmail.com.
spaceoddity
Posted: Jan 6, 2004 11:01 pm

I dunno, the UK and Europe treated us pretty good. I think its better that touring the US in general as far as how you are treated and the pay. But that all also depends on the promoter and your booking person. However, the UK doesn't roll out the hospitality like the rest of Europe.
supertupelo
Posted: Jan 17, 2004 9:41 pm

i spent two months touring europe last summer doing club shows and major festivals (Leeds,Reading, Pukklepop etc.) -- the UK is tricky. if a US band recieves a guarantee, its usually not a good exchange rate. the dollar is so weak in the UK, that it doesnt makes sense for a small act to tour there. UNLESS there's word of mouth prehype or advertising in the UK rags. another good thing is for a smaller US band to secure a good booking agency. i delt with Helter Skelter in London. in general, the club promoters in the UK are not easy to deal with. the festivals are a whole different animal. the best countries i found lots of support were france, germany, belgium, austria and edinburgh, scotland (they were the exception in the UK)...so, get a reliable booking agent for one, secure a guarantee equal to that of your typical US guarantee and budget your money while on the road. if you can borrow and/or rent equipment, then do so. using Rocket Cargo to ship your things is too expensive. try and sleep on as many floor as you can too. should you need a day room for showering, make sure to ask the club promoter if the venue has a shower or if they can set you up with a chep room within a shrt distance of the club. most promoters in the UK have deals with local hotels.
Robby G
Posted: Jan 18, 2004 12:26 am

I just got offered a show in London for 50 Pounds, no hotel, no backstage and no rider...

But I might just do it, since it would fill in a gap in the route, a bunch of journalists will be there and if I can organize a sleeping place with the next day's show club/promoter, it might make sense... In a pay-to-play-try-to-get-some-exposure kind of way... Yuk!

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®