Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / no rock in rio
lostinthefloss
Posted: Dec 19, 2003 8:39 pm

aint much here but whores and cocaine. not that i can complain, but where the muthafuckin rock at? if anyone knows pass it on. somebody needs to video sandy and the dry fucks for me when that goes down. missing mempho!
kosta
Posted: Dec 20, 2003 12:18 am

only news on the latin rock i ever seen is on this site:

http://www.nofunrecords.com/

eric o
Posted: Dec 20, 2003 3:13 am

http://www.theebutchersorchestra.blogger.com.br/

thee butchers orchestra is a band from sao paulo, i'm sure they play in rio occasionally. they've got stuff on estrus and other labels. kinda spencerish at times, sometimes more MC5. pretty good. if nothing else, maybe they play at some clubs where you can get connected with some bands or people in the know.

another rock n roll band from sao paulo, looks like: Bionica.

http://itsmysite.com/cgi-bin/itsmy/go.exe?page=13&domain=1&webdir=bionica

anybody else have any leads for scott?

Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 20, 2003 7:15 pm

Is that Brazil, I'd try to check out Titas if they're still around.

I actually have a MRR Brazilian scene report from like 95 rounds about....I don't know if that would help.

Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 20, 2003 7:39 pm

Now it think about it it was specificaly from Rio De Ginero...lots of metal and guys looking like Glenn Danzig....looked cool.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 20, 2003 8:37 pm

Why would anybody waste thier time in Brazil with rocknroll and punk anyway when there's so much good Bosa Nova....just the traditional shit thow, fuck all that midi contemporary crap.

I read a paper a couple semester ago on the stratification of culture in Brazil and how is correlates to their music...The point was that the elite's listen to Bosa Nova, and that's considered the true music of Brazil...but the music most of the common folk listen too, "Carnivale"(?) is conisdered a bastard kind of music...but in actuality, Bosa Nova only first realy came about in the 50's under the influence of American R&B...and Carnivale, actually incorporates a lot more indigenous influences, like the indian drums and crap.....So basically is just shows how the rich manipulate culture in a way to seem more legitement and worthy....and also so Brazil is so influenced by American Culture also, because we're the biggest rich assholes around.

lostinthefloss
Posted: Dec 21, 2003 1:36 am

thanks for the tips. ive already made some headway through a local record shop via nofunrecords. thee butchers... and bionica apparently dont keep up with the website or dont play many shows. but it seems, and im told, that sao paulo is more the place for what im looking for. as for the bossanova, forget about it. ive seen the bossanova joints around town and kept right on walking. looks comparable to a night out at some uptown jazz club. and as for the traditional bossanova it went out with the 50s, however vinyl lives on and, because not considered...eclectic like in the states, is very inexpensive. ill be seeing rita lee (mutantes) in january. her new music is not so great, but still a mutant.
eric o
Posted: Dec 21, 2003 8:26 am

ack! i just bit into a bone in my bologna. really.

anyway, here's some more hot ex-tropicalia's to check out if they're playing for free at copacabana or whatever:

caetano veloso, gilberto gil, gal costa, and the stevie wonder of the bunch, jorge ben jor (formerly known as jorge ben- africa brazil is freakin great).

chuckvicious
Posted: Dec 21, 2003 11:40 am

If you happen to hear of a Soca band coming threw in Rio named "Jab Jab"-Please go see them. Bring me a CD too. It is more of an islanders' music but I bet they would tour there. Have you seen that Simpsons episode where Lisa tries to find a lost Boy in Rio and Homer gets abucted by a cab driver? Have you done any Booty Dancing?
lostinthefloss
Posted: Dec 21, 2003 6:46 pm

ill be seeing gilberto gil over the holidays i believe. think he is playing a free show on the beach during new years eve party. one of many to perform a short set on the same stage. that night will be insane. ive not seen that simpsons episode and am sickened by the fact that they dont air them here. must be one of maybe 10 simpsonless countries in the world. booty dancing...yes i must confess, but the girls dont quite get into it as in the states. and the cab abductions you speak of is no laughing matter. quite common. you have to know where you are and how to get where you want to go or else dont get in. because many gringos hop in drunk and just ride along having no idea where they are being taken. they tell me that if a cab starts to head towards a favela you better jump out the window and run like hell. past dark, an american who enters will not make his way out. thats understood.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 22, 2003 7:11 pm

This is funny...apparently Titas started out as a punk band, and metamorphed into a pop band...

Here's thier guitarist's webpage. http://www2.uol.com.br/sergiobritto/ ..it reminds me of Nick Lowe...but what's Nick Lowe without the tongue and cheek lyrics? Still I got this link, from a punk web page.

In any foriegn country Americans need to be carefull....You need to know where your taxi is going to take you in New York City or Memphis....I have an uncle in Iraq right now...I lived in Panama for 3 and a half years and had to leave on account of the Panama invasion....It's just a matter of common sense...Americans just think they rule the world.

As far as there being no more traditional Bossa Nova...all Bossa Nova ever was was jazz combined with the simplicity of R&B....emphasizing cool over all else...a characteristic of American underclasses and Brazilian overclasses, as influenced by U.S. underclass art, like jazz and Motown (at least at one time)....my teacher was a pretty cool guy...he played us some contemporary Bossa Nova, and it sounded like far out midi psychadelia, with alot of Beatles influence....it was so show how much impact America has on other nations....He said "I don't know why they've incorporated so much Beatles influence" and I bloated out, "Maybe Cuz they're on acid"....But the point is that Bossa Nova has always been about cool and jazz, and it's victim to the digital midi craze just like american jazz...but I'm sure you can still find traditionalists if you search them out....but if your not into Jazz clubs I wouldn't bother.

ledisquairebazookajoe
Posted: Dec 22, 2003 8:08 pm

best i've heard is bebel giberto, daughter of astrud and joao. really nice voice and organic sounds too...
eric o
Posted: Dec 22, 2003 9:22 pm

yeah, with mellow trip-hop backing... her voice is good, though...
Model 500
Posted: Dec 22, 2003 9:24 pm

Girl From Impanema.
Model 500
Posted: Dec 22, 2003 9:39 pm

I'm interested in who this Majic Juan faggot is who they say be ripping off my imagious monicher?
ledisquairebazookajoe
Posted: Dec 22, 2003 9:39 pm

was that some trip hop stuff i heard? somebody made me a latin-brazillian mix tape with her on it and it seemed like real intruments...
ledisquairebazookajoe
Posted: Dec 22, 2003 9:41 pm

try to find some wanderlea recordings while you're there... and tom ze... like can from brazil.
eric o
Posted: Dec 22, 2003 10:28 pm

bebel did some stuff with hip producers... i'm sure there's more trad stuff, too.

love astrud gilbertos voice as a start... and to prove deche dans face right, yep, Brazil 66 does rock!

Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 22, 2003 10:47 pm

Sergio Mendes is the shit.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 22, 2003 10:49 pm

I should give props to Herbie Mann too...I own more Bosa Nova than I thought.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 22, 2003 10:52 pm

I guess because it tends to be a thrift store standard.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 22, 2003 11:19 pm

http://www.pair.com/mber/ebay/sergiomlot.jpg

I have the two albums on the right here...and the one on the far right is by far thier best that I've ever heard...I liked it when I was a kid because it reminded me of music from Pulp Fiction (same reason I got into Afrocuban)....the one in the middle is kind of Bossa Nova cheesy but still good....If you see next time you're thifting pick them up.

SonicG
Posted: Dec 23, 2003 7:31 am

There's a woman from Brazil, Saissa, who posts at the garagepunk.com forums. She's from Abobora maybe, maybe that's a joke. Claims there's only 12 people in the country who even know who the NBTs are...
Arturo
Posted: Dec 23, 2003 7:38 am

are the Sell Outs still around? they are(were?) from Brazil and put out some records on rapid pulse and a great 10 inch on ken rock i think. theyre great rip off style punk(and better than a lot of the bands on that label). havent heard anything from em in a while.
Arturo
Posted: Dec 23, 2003 7:41 am

your money is so gay.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 23, 2003 6:26 pm

You should see Japanese coins...it's like they're made out of 5% metal and 95% plastic.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 23, 2003 6:27 pm

It's light as hell thow, and alot more comfortable to carry around than American money.
lostinthefloss
Posted: Dec 23, 2003 10:49 pm

good god almighty! i dont check the thread in a day and its blowin up! no pen and paper on hand at the moment, but next time ill be ready to take notes. thanks for the mail, eric, and dont feel rushed. i think i got my hands full for a little while. looks like ill be goin psychedelic for the summer.
chuckvicious
Posted: Dec 25, 2003 12:16 pm

Merri Chrismas@!!!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®