Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Ken Rock Blues
Human Garbage Disposal
Posted: Dec 21, 2003 12:28 am

I was perusing thru the new MRn'R when i saw a review for my old bands'7" like it was a new release. Apparently he's repressed it and i feel....a little flattered,but also a little taken aback that he DIDN'T BOTHER TO TELL ANY OF US that he was doing this!

So my question to all you Legal RegalBeagles out there is what kind of recourse can i take w/this guy? I'm going into Portland tonight and i'll probably see our old basssist Lester (who had direct dealings w/KenRock via our old website)and ask him if he's been in touch about this...maybe he has ,idunno.

I don't expect any money,it's more about whether he has our permission to do this.I never signed any contract,so i don't remember any clause saying he could do a second pressing.All i want outta this are some copies of the record (so we can do a show and sell 'em and thusly,promote KenRock!)and maybe a Euro distro for the LP we been talkin' about doing.Am i a dick for even wanting that?

Sorry about the longwinded-ness of the post,i just don't know how to approach this!
ANY advice on this would be geratly appreciated... thanks!!!

dropkick
Posted: Dec 21, 2003 1:42 am

Take it to the man: kensplastic@hotmail.com
I'd ask for 15% of the pressing.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 22, 2003 6:17 pm

All I know is that if I ever start recording bands and putting stuff out...I'm making you fuckers sign contracts....90/10 split....it's how Motown and Chess got started.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 22, 2003 6:20 pm

if you give me any sass, 95/5.
Argh
Posted: Dec 22, 2003 10:36 pm

I don't see why he wouldn't give you copies if you asked. It's lame that he didnt' contact you before, but I think that kind of thing happens when its small punk rock singles.
The FlyrodsRIP
Posted: Dec 22, 2003 11:31 pm

I think if you simply asked the Ken Rock dude he'd be amenable to giving up 15% to 20% of the pressing - a standard amount and, I expect, probably what you received the first time around. If for whatever reason Ken Rock dude is some kinda dick about it, I don't think that there's much of anything you can do about it short of kicking his ass, egging his house, rolling his yard, fucking his girlfriend, spray-painting "John Hinckley Is Innocent" all over his car and house, etc.
When you don't sign a contract, you're fucked. What's more, by the very act of your extending the guy a loan of your master tape for use in a 'for-profit' business venture where there is an expectation of benefit for both parties (you: free records, cash from the sale of such, and some kind of publicity; him: cash profit, publicity, AND an implication, at least, of asset-building and "good-will value" creation through the strengthening of his label catalogue), a contract is so strongly implied that a court would laugh and scold most any legal action right out the front door and down the steps. Unless, of course, your label happens to be Touch&Go or SFTRI, the record happens to be worth a lot, and the adversary happens to be a multi-national death-culture conglomorate with more bling than Croesus. Then all bets are off.
But, the reality is that that ain't your situation. The facts are that Ken Rock is some tiny, living-room label, your old band isn't even a band anymore, and the amounts of real and potential cash are so small as to be miniscule. So, what to do? Hit the guy up for cash and/or records, and if he gives you some shit make sure everyone knows what a stinking, hippie-capitalist sack of shit the guy is. Do the other stuff, too. Then wait for the inevitable garage-punk revival in about 20 years, wait for him to try to license your old recordings to a death-culture label for some stupid, hefty fee and then sue the fucker till he bleeds like a poked pig. Next chapter: How to fuck-over an asshole boss.
filthy rich
Posted: Dec 23, 2003 1:32 am

Hey Flyrods, how about finally getting me one of them Steve and the Jerks CD's on Solamente (speaking of small labels...) I know you gotta have some. Laurent tried hooking me up with some guy in NY who had a bunch, but I sent him cash and no CD ever came. Come on, hook a guy up, and allow me to close the late-Nineties French garage section of my record collection.
Dale
Posted: Dec 23, 2003 4:41 am

Y'know what's weird is that I got a Singing Dogs single on Ken Rock the other day. I'm looking at the sleeve and think "Cool...Ken Rock didn't go ultra cheep and printed both sides of the sleeve." I open it up and it's the Silver Kings sleeve printed on one side...So either he recycled the old ones or had too many of the new ones printed and decided to reuse them...
The FlyrodsRIP
Posted: Dec 23, 2003 8:01 am

Hey Filthy -- Yeah, that's surprising that Kevin in NYC didn't send it out. Don't know what happened there. Kevin's usually the less drunk and more responsible twin head on the Solamente vomit beast. His friend-gurl just had a baby, so maybe that had something to do with it. Or, maybe he just never got it. Who knows. Anyway, send me your mailing address (off-line if you want: solamente@watervalley.net) and I'll put one in the mail to you tomorrow. Eric and Goner will have some, too, in two or three weeks. Kevin's sending me a box down this week. T'anks....
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 23, 2003 6:18 pm

Actually in this country there's creative rights laws...which just means that even if you don't copyright something it's still your creative property, if you can prove that you created it....It's not as good as if it's copyrighted, but it gives you a case in court, and many have won with it.....I mean if you just write a song or poem, technically it's your creative property and is protected by law....it doesn't matter if your copyright has passed or not......you probbably do have a case.

But personally I fuckin hate the court system...and I'd just beat the shit out him, egg his car, poor sugar in his gas tank, all of the above.

Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 23, 2003 6:19 pm

Even if I had a contract, I wouldn't take it to court, I'd just beat the shit out of him.
alien snatch
Posted: Dec 25, 2003 2:10 pm

Ken rock rules! I doubt there was another Silverkings repress. If so Iīm sure he gladly send some free records. By the way a bought a bunch of them for 50 cents at a mailorder,yeah. Seems it was a total seller. Itīs weird I bought 30 DONNY DENIM 45īs for a 75 cent each also, and I think thatīs of the alltime top ten 7"s in my book.
Human Garbage Disposal
Posted: Dec 26, 2003 10:53 pm

I really appreciate the input from everybody,thanks a lot!

The main reasons for thinking it's a re-ish are these:

Ken Rock told Lester that he had sold out of the pressing way back when the record came out (after we got our 15%or so,75 out of 500's 15% right?)

The fact that it was sent to MRR for review.I rememeber the original review from when it first came out,so unless the guy has amnesia and forgot he sent it in to review,i ASSUME (uhoh) that he sent it in as a new release along w/ other Ken Rock stuff that i saw in the same issue.He could be sitting on
some extra copies,who knows,but as far as i know that pressing sold out (it's also listed as outta print on the Ken Rock website!).

Just to reiterate,i'm not pissed at the guy or expect money,i just want some basic contact on his end if he plans on re-ishing it.We wanna play a show or 2 in March,and it would be cool to have something to give to folks when we play!

I talked to Lester last weekend and he has had no contact with the guy.I guess we'll be emailing kenplastic to see what's up!...

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®