Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Rolling Stone is stinko...
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 6:34 pm

but i just saw this on their .com while reading the review of Grindhouse (Peter Travers is my favorite critic).

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/13950414/artist_to_watch_black_ lips

Holy Guacamole! Good for these guys.

if this has been posted before, sorry. i dont spend my life up the goner bored poop-shoot.
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 6:39 pm

What is with Rolling Stone and their constant usage of the "rockabilly" tag to describe this band? It's baffling.
hookorcrook
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 6:47 pm

THE band to namedrop at loft parties in Brooklyn.
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 6:50 pm

THE band to namedrop at loft parties in Brooklyn

note to self, don't mention andrew wk
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 7:17 pm

PETER TRAVERS LOVES IT!
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 7:20 pm

Peter Travers is my favorite critic

WTF??? really? i can't figure that guy out.
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 7:24 pm

Peter Travers is my favorite critic

Oh, I see how it is.
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 7:36 pm

all of which are available on iTunes.

makes my blood boil....
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 7:40 pm

ok, now i have a real question:

Is there a reason why In the Red couldn't be named here or was it just an oversight?

WHERE TO HEAR IT: Everywhere. The Black Lips have released four albums (three before signing to Vice) all of which are available on iTunes. In September the band will release an as-of-yet untitled new album, which was recorded in some guy's home studio in Atlanta.
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 7:44 pm

Funny but, the last time I saw em was just before they recorded/played that "live" album and they were doin fucked up shit. breakin bottles and makin out. WHy the rumors of not doing this shit anymore? Is vice trying to make them perfect little angels?
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 8:13 pm

The band to drop from atop your Brooklyn loft and start a party.
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 8:23 pm

In September the band will release an as-of-yet untitled new album,

hah, what is everyone gonna do when the album comes out and they dont want to print 'niggers'?
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 9:23 pm

I recall a group of people in Jackson saying they didn't "go for that sort of music" the last time the black lips played.

two rolling stone articles and a write up in pitchfork later........buying tshirts and talking about how awesome this "new" band is.
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 9:25 pm

I don't think last of the white niggers is going to be the title of the vice record. I think it's the in the red record that'll be out later in the year but i could be wrong. but i don't think i am.
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 9:37 pm

The girls are out to Bingo and the boys are gettin' stinko,
And we think no more of Inco on a Sudbury Saturday night.
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 10:56 pm

Is there a reason why In the Red couldn't be named here or was it just an oversight?

because the pr people from VICE worked that and have no incentive to mention in the red or bomp, for that matter, regardless of the fact that both labels are amazing pools from which to pluck out the best sounds of the underground....no, not at all in VICE's best interest
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 11:04 pm

I know it's been mentioned before, but according to RS, Let It Bloom was one of the "best debut albums of 2006"... third album, released in 2005.
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 11:33 pm

In addition to TK's post, the poeple that charish and want to keep your underground music underground and out of the mainstream. This should make those kinda people happy. Vice shoud've mentioned the names for the sake of getting to a band after those great labels but, to the common disturbed/godsmack/dave mathews fans it doesn't matter. They're only gonna buy what's spoonfed to em by media. So, there it is. Spoonfed. Now everyone's involved.
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 11:35 pm

This should make those kinda people happy. Vice shoud've mentioned the names for the sake of getting to a band after those great labels but, to the common disturbed/godsmack/dave mathews fans it doesn't matter.

you're so right, Arm.... there's a part of me that does cherish the things i share with my small group of like-minded friends BUT there's this other part of me that wants things like so-called "journalism" to be factual....
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 11:35 pm

poeple that charish

My new screamo band.
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 11:39 pm

at the same time for those that are unhappy for the "exploitation" of this band...Ask the band what they think....They don't seem to be upset about anything at the moment.

And for most people (outside gonerland) if a band isn't in Rolling Stone, on MTV, or even a radio station above 100.0FM the general folks will see this as a new band when they explode into the media.
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 11:39 pm

poeple that charish

My new screamo band.

haha
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 11:40 pm

sounds wack
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 11:58 pm

you're a wack
Posted: Apr 6, 2007 1:25 pm

i second trickknee's puzzlement over all the "rockabilly" references in rolling stone. what the fuck? how do you pull rockabilly out of "dirty hands"?
Posted: Apr 6, 2007 10:16 pm

fuck if i 'spect Rstone to get the facts right or give any sort of nod to the underground. RS: it's US weekly-the music version for know-nothing douche-bags.

i just thought it was funny. plus, if these dudes make a little cash for themselves i say hellz yeah. what else are these high school dropouts gonna do? live in queens, collect records, suck at DJ-ing, eat greasy food, and do blow all day?
Posted: Apr 6, 2007 10:27 pm

that's what i do, what a coincidence!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®