Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Bob Clark R.I.P.
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 1:15 am

Wow...Just got this from a myspace bulletin.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/la-me-crash5apr05,1,2302960.s tory?coll=chi-news-hed

We've just received the incredibly sad news that director Bob Clark and his son Ariel were killed early this morning by a drunk driver here in LA. Honestly, I just don't know what to say right now. Not only did Bob direct some of our favorite films, but he was also a wonderfully down to earth guy and someone who truly appreciated his fans. When we screened his classic BLACK CHRISTMAS in December he was thrilled by the huge crowd and took the time to talk to everybody and sign whatever people brought with them. We'll miss Bob Clark dearly, but we intend to continue our tradition of screening that film every holiday season as a tribute to him.

Watch one of his films tonight, say thank you for all of the enjoyment he's given us over the years, and maybe even say a prayer to help Bob and his son Ariel on their journey.

Please folks, for your safety and the safety of those around you - don't drink and drive and don't let your friends drink and drive.

Here's a list of great movies he directed.
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 2:01 am

I remember seeing "Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things" as a kid late at night and being really freaked by it. So long, Bob.
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 2:05 am

Deathdream, aka Dead of Night, is one of my favorites! RIP
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 3:32 am

Man, I had forgot about Deathdream. Very good and creepy.
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 5:57 am

Holy Shit.

This guy was one of my favorite directors. From Christmas Story to Porky's, the guy pretty much ruled my childhood.

Murder by Decree is also awesome, way better than From Hell.
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 1:42 pm

well, crap.
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 2:40 pm

I read not too long ago he was developing a remake of "Children" that he was going to direct himself because he was always bugged by the budget constraints of the original. That would've been bad-ass.
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 3:49 pm

shit-fire
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 3:55 pm

God got you now, no more penitentiary
You'se a soldier, nigga you made history
Hoes moaning, no more pain
Took my dogs to another place another gang
It's still westside, till we die
Niggas roll, reminisce and getting high
Thug nigga, no more tears, moma shared
No more pain in the muthaphukkin' new year
Cause you're in heaven with the other G's
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 5:38 pm | Edited by: tim

he also directed "karate dog".
while on paper this sounds good; a dog that knows karate and fights crime, voiced by chevy chase, and also starring jon voight and pat morita, i assure you, it is not.
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 6:30 pm

Porky's is my favorite movie
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 6:34 pm

well, this certainly sucks. he pretty much invented slasher films.
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 7:06 pm

i was at that screening at the new beverly mentioned above...it was pretty nice to see a sold out crowd for black christmas. he seemed like a pretty amiable dude and excited that people actually had an interest in the film to this day. he talked about the remake of children shouldn't that he was working on, that eli roth will be remaking deathdream...sigh, and some crazy idea for a monty python meets night of the living dead flick he had been writing. it unfortunately sounded horrible.

also at the screening olivia hussey, mentioned that black christmas was one of steve martin's favorite flicks and that he had seen it 20 some-odd times when it was first released.
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 7:16 pm

as for New Beverly Black Christmas screenings...

I have gone 3 years in a row and Bob Clark never showed up once, not that I want to speak ill of the dead, but....
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 10:52 pm

RIP, Dead Thing!
Posted: Apr 6, 2007 12:07 am

He was killed by a drunk illegal alien. He made some great movies. RIP!

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movies/04/04/obit.clark.ap/index.html
Posted: May 16, 2007 10:03 pm | Edited by: GFF

Just came across this thread and wanted to add a follow-up to Hadda Bad Day's last post.

Hadda Bad Day obviously also has a bad memory, or maybe needs to cut back on the drugs and alcohol when he goes to the movies. BLACK CHRISTMAS has screened at the New Beverly only for the last two years, though it did also play at LA's Nuart in December 2004.

Bob Clark DID attend the screening this last December, and was incredibly friendly, down to earth, and very generous with his time. After the film he stuck around for a long time, making sure he had a chance to talk to every fan who came up to him. John Saxon and Olivia Hussey were also there, and the three did a lenghty post-film Q&A. Clark had also planned to be at the first New Beverly screening the previous year, but unfortunately had to cancel at the last minute due to a production meeting.

Bob Clark was also at the BLACK CHRISTMAS screening at the Nuart in 2004, joined by John Saxon and composer Carl Zittrer.

Were you even at any of these screenings???? How could you miss the director at two out of the three recent screenings????

It's not very nice to speak ill of the dead, especially if what you're saying is completely false.
Posted: May 16, 2007 10:31 pm

ouch.
Posted: May 16, 2007 10:38 pm

yeah, i'm sure she lied on purpose just to tarnish his good name, being the fan that she is.

at least if you're gonna come here and be a dick over something that got 12 replies and then got forgotten about, admit to being related to him and try to understand the original meaning of what you're flipping out over. SHEESH!
Posted: May 17, 2007 12:49 am

Well, wasn't trying to be a dick about it...which was why I said the previous poster must have a bad memory and not that they were an outright liar. But these posts, no matter how old, do get found by people months after a thread ends as a result of Google searches and such (how I found it). Many people other than members do read what gets posted, even if they never join and add to the conversation.

Since one of the last posts basically seemed to be saying "he was a jerk who never bothered to show up", which was untrue and unfair, I signed up to correct that. Why would a fan even bring something negative up, even if she was there and somehow missed the special guest everyone else listened to and talked to?

Since the original post in this thread was quoting something I wrote, the poster was basically calling ME a liar by saying that the director had not attended any of the screenings as claimed. And no, I'm not a relative. I was one of the people who put together the screenings, though. Nothing to hide here.

No hard feelings towards anyone here, though, but did think that one post was somewhat uncool. If you feel the same way about my post, not my intention.
Posted: May 17, 2007 5:10 am

Sad business. Anyone who hated or loved high school has to get something out of Porky's besides the early Kim Catrell appearance.

"Christmas Story" has to be one of Cleveland's finest moments.

RIP
Posted: May 17, 2007 10:28 pm

Just got this from GFF
Grindhouse Tribute to Bob Clark - Tuesday, May 22nd
Don't miss our special tribute to director Bob Clark on Tuesday, which will feature screenings of rare 35mm prints of two of his earliest and best films along with special guests who will talk about working with him on these and other projects. So far Alan Ormsby has confirmed as a guest, and we'll be adding a number of other confirmed guests over the next couple of days.

This is a chance for the Grindhouse crowd to show our appreciation for someone who's provided us with so many hours of entertainment and enjoyment over the years. Let's pack the house and make sure he can hear our screams, laughter and cheers!

Please visit our event page and RSVP.

Tuesday May 22nd, 2007

New Beverly Cinema
7165 Beverly Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90036
(323) 938-4038
Admission: $8.00

Tribute to Bob Clark
Special Guests to be announced

7:30pm CHILDREN SHOULDN'T PLAY WITH DEAD THINGS (1972)
Directed by Bob Clark. Starring Alan Ormsby, Valerie Mamches, Jeff Gillen and Anya Ormsby.

9:30pm DEATHDREAM {aka DEAD OF NIGHT} (1974)
Directed by Bob Clark. Starring John Marley, Lynn Carlin, Richard Backus, Henderson Forsythe and Anya Ormsby.

Thanks Eric...Hope the turn out is good.
~Arm
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®