Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / best elvis movie?
Womb Raider
Posted: Dec 13, 2003 7:48 am

I was watching kissin cousins on TCM right now.. and holy shit, as incest themed moonshine swilling army musicals go, this one has it all!!

-elvis playing two lead roles
-sex starved hillbilly chicks
-duet with a howling dog
-elvis falling for the hotter of his two cousins
-army generals swilling moonshine
-drunken pappy
-one strap unstrapped overalls before Another Bad Creation made it cool in 1989
-nuclear missles

my new favorite elvis movie. what's yours?

rocknrollnurse
Posted: Dec 13, 2003 6:58 pm

all of them and none of them,but I do love ELVIS,ya know.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 13, 2003 7:18 pm

Kissin Cousins has one of his best lost classics in it too...but I can't remember what it was...I think it's the first one in the movie....in general his movie songs sucked...but I remember being realy impressed by that one.

I like the one that camioed the Beach Boys...

dr1000
Posted: Dec 13, 2003 8:25 pm

Chris, your post makes me wish Elvis had played the lead roles in Dr. Strangelove, per Kubrick's original plan. But I digress.

(WARNING: SPOILERS)

I do like how, in "Viva Las Vegas", E's rival for Ann-Margret's hand gets killed in a horrenous car wreck and is simply never mentioned again. That's Hollywood! Great flick.

"Fun In Acapulco" has the best plot...Elvis, a former trapeze artist and current pool boy, has developed a paralyzing fear of diving boards. To supplement hs now-dwindling income, he seeks work as a singer in the local Hilton. But they already have a singer -- the legendary El Trovador (legendary because he never appears in the film). But with the help of the streetwise moppet Raul (or "Rowell" as the King would have it) and the toothsome Ursula Andress, maybe, just maybe, young Presley will find some kind of job in the Acapulcan service economy.
It's interesting on many levels. There's also something about a lady bullfighter. The songs aren't so hot in it.

All Elvis movies are pretty good, just like all episodes of COPS, but the most not-good is "Double Trouble": Elvis falls for goofy not-hot "teenage" British redhead, winds up in Benny Hill-style chases, his enemies drown at the end, Elvis develops stigmata from appearing in such a shitty movie...what won't he do for his fans?

david t
Posted: Dec 13, 2003 9:05 pm

I once found a tape with all the trailers for his movies in a bargain bin somewhere. It has since vanished, but I do recall that it distilled all teh ridiculous aspects of those movies into a nice little package.

a favorite being from one where Elvis gets called out by some dudes for a fight in the parking lot...while the guys are readying for the beatdown, Elvis throws out a few solitary kung fu moves to which his adversary can only reply..."Hey man....that's Karate!!"...

Clif
Posted: Dec 13, 2003 9:14 pm

My least favorite is Roustabout. I can't stand the carnival connection. Elvis being the tough motorcycle guy who hangs around with the carnies.(I think that's roustabout?)

I'm going with the critics for once. I actually like Kid Creole quite a bit. Elvis getting caught up with organized crime and all. Some bad fight scenes and melodramatic heaviness all around.

The one with Mary Tyler Moore isn't bad either.

Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 13, 2003 9:16 pm

He had the best muton chops in the one where he played an inner city doctor, who falls for some woman with a kid.

That's also considered his best and most dramatic role.

What was the movie that wasn't realy a Elvis movie per se, where he sang Love Me Tender? That movie was alright.

I like the one that camel toed the Beach Boys, playing in some hipster club.

gdaniels
Posted: Dec 13, 2003 10:30 pm

i just saw benny hill in "chitty chitty bang bang" -- no foolin'
vanwinkle
Posted: Dec 13, 2003 11:04 pm

if you want the real "E"... "The Way It Is>>" ROCKS! elvis raw and real... dirty jokes, deepthroating microphones in the studio, and cool long cars.....
Goubler
Posted: Dec 13, 2003 11:08 pm

my fave is SPEEDWAY...elvis as a racecar driver,bill bixby as his horndog manager,and NANCY SINATRA as an IRS agent who's auditing elvis and winds up falling in love with him!(has this ever happened to anyone?)Nancy also does a couple Lee Hazlewood tunes on the soundtrack...the only way it could get any better is if bill turned into THE HULK.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 13, 2003 11:11 pm

I remember the first half of Speedway being real good..and the second half being so stupid and over the top I had to flip the channel.....but that could be said about any Elvis movie I suppose.
SAMBEAUX
Posted: Dec 15, 2003 8:26 pm

Man, the best Elvis movie is "live a little, love a little," where Elvis is repeatedly drugged in order to be seduced by this freewheeling hippie chick. It has excellent mainstream 60's-xploitation moments and features the hit "a little less conversation." I think it was his last feature film. Probably the least "Elvis-movie" Elvis movie, trying to sell Elvis to hippies and heads at the end of the 60s circa the '68 comeback.
Pear
Posted: Dec 15, 2003 8:33 pm

I thought roustabout was entertaining, he's a carnie, rides a motorcycle, kung fu, etc....
Manzoni
Posted: Dec 15, 2003 8:35 pm

'roustabout' is good for the closing song, "there's a brand new day on the horizon." the song is a triumph. there is a guy in dc, Blelvis, the black elvis, who knows every single elvis song ever recorded. i don't know what his occupation is but a few years ago you could find him wandering the streets and if you stopped him, he'd deliver the goods. i think he is on a jeff krulik video compilation thing as well.
choo choo
Posted: Dec 15, 2003 11:42 pm

king creole is pretty damn good. I guess "they" say it is his most critically acclaimed. I guess I just love the french quarter filmed in black and white. ...However you cannot beat the sickness of kissin cousins and speedway. How 'Bout that ann-margaret in Viva las vegas. What a scandanavian babe.
eric o
Posted: Dec 16, 2003 2:03 am

BLELVIS RULES!
Womb Raider
Posted: Dec 16, 2003 3:03 am

all the things you've heard about blelvis are absolutely true. the man really does know every fucking elvis song. he is legendary.
andria
Posted: Dec 16, 2003 3:16 am

whoa, does anyone know where blevis is these days? somewhere i have some footage (courtesy of sherman, courtesy of someone else) that is friggin genius -- they try to stump him with the crawdad song or sumptin like that and he proves himself SUPERIOR of course!

and i saw him play in memphis during elvis week, years ago, at tommy foster's place if i remember correctly

Womb Raider
Posted: Dec 16, 2003 3:45 am

the big B is probably in D.C. still, I'll ask around for you when I'm there next week.
SAMBEAUX
Posted: Dec 16, 2003 5:25 pm

Guy: "Do you know 'The Shrimp Song'"

Blelvis: "Actually, the song is titled 'Song of the Shrimp.'"

My friend try to pull that on him on the streets of DC and Blelvis resonded exactly the same way, without any trace of hesitation, irony or the weariness with which one courts the invitation to an old familiar joke.

eric o
Posted: Dec 16, 2003 11:55 pm

BLELVIS IS THE KING!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®