Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Article about the Memphis music scene in today's New York Times
Clint
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 8:51 pm

The article specifically focuses on Memphis, but it's basically about how a thriving arts/music community can be a huge asset to a city. It's nice to see that people are finally acknowledging that

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/11/garden/11COOL.html?pagewanted=1&th

"Without suggesting that one caused the other, the authors concluded that tolerant, funky, hip, diverse cities were also rich ones. 'The losers are the cities that don't let these people organize and be themselves and express their energy,' Mr. Florida said in a telephone interview. 'A city that allowed a gay community to emerge 10 or 20 years ago, set up its own retail stores and clubs, a city that allowed a music scene to happen, a city that allowed an arts community to emerge there's something in the ecosystem of that community that allows individuals to get there, to be themselves and to mobilize resources. That of course is the same thing that high-tech entrepreneurs do.' "

"Christopher Reyes, 34, said he ran up against the city's reputation when he tried to start an interactive music company. 'It didn't do well because no one thinks of Memphis as a tech place,' he said. He was ready to leave in 2001, he said, until his music work took him to clubs like the Young Avenue Deli and the Hi Tone Cafe, where he discovered a rich supply of bands one factor behind the growth of Austin, Seattle and Chapel Hill, N.C., according to Mr. Florida. Mr. Reyes stayed and started livefrommemphis.com, an online slice of the local music experience."

Society Paige
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 11:24 pm

And featuring a photo of, and one by, our own Christian Patterson. Nice job.
eric o
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 11:37 pm

uhmmsdhmmmm williamsburgh.. cough cough.
eric o
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 11:38 pm

sorry. time for my nap.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 11:48 pm

Yeah, move to Memphis and work for Fed Ex.

I don't understand this:

"economist Richard Florida wrote that the healthy cities of the 21st century will be those that can compete not for big companies but for educated, creative young people."

I don't understand what educated, creative young people are good for.....they're to proud to unload boxes.

Memphis has the history of the The Civial Rights movement, but like Williamsburg or Gettysburg has the history of the Civil War!

I might move to memphis anyway....but not becuase of the hip and funky art scene....maybe the barbque.

smartypants
Posted: Dec 12, 2003 9:20 pm

Ack! Did anyone read that entire article? Sure, sure let's recriut the gays, but nevermind their pesky civil rights! We need 'em here to make things "funky"! For God's sake don't let them get married or adopt children! I hate that guy Florida and all of his followers. He's a freaking tool.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 12, 2003 11:02 pm

Don't worry all the will move to Louisville where there's less black people.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 12, 2003 11:02 pm

gays..I'm talking about gays.
Quinn
Posted: Dec 15, 2003 12:33 am

I was interviewed for this article and so was C. Vicious, I guess we weren't funky enough to be mentioned.
Scott
Posted: Dec 15, 2003 1:33 am

Hey Chris,
I got some bad news for you. All the BBq shops in Memphis are closing. I guess there's no reason to move here now.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 15, 2003 8:53 am

I also have an African American booty fetish.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 15, 2003 8:54 am

I'm changing my name to Electrifyin Mojo.
chuckvicious
Posted: Dec 16, 2003 2:19 am

We are mentioned in the accual hardcopy. If anyone has a copy of it please email a scan to quinn
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®