Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / The Big One
sherman
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 7:21 am

I gotta tell ya...with all the bigtime hotdog eaters on this site & watchmeeatahotdog, I'm pretty disappointed with the info. exchange. I mean, I love me some rsvp occasionally, but this strum & drang is all about fashion & celebrity! Aside from the great links (pardon my pun &, by the way, the Superdawg site almost makes me want to move to O'Hare--almost)...where's the talk about the gear?

What do I do with the extra 2 buns in a package? Where's the best spicy mustard in the country? Longer bun or longer dawg-personal preference or industry force-feed?

How come no one has mentioned the new (at least to me) Oscar Mayer XXL Smoked links--best in Memphis supermarkets in years? How come no one has told me why the Redbirds can't come up with a good dog? They spent all that money on the stadium, the least they could do is get an edible dog--esp. with Rendevous smoking sausages right there!!! How come stadium dogs taste good up north but down south no-go? Who's got the answers to hot dog questions???? Where's the ask king louie about hot dogs column?

& don't give me "this is all in the membership package b.s.!!!" Hot dogs are not just for the rich. Nuf sed.

dangerouspinkie
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 7:27 am

mister mustard is still my favorite, through about a gagillion regional mustard tastings. it just is. that's all i've got. oh, and hot dogs still do taste good up north, but it seems that they tasted better when i was a kid. maybe it was the kid. maybe not.
Womb Raider
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 7:40 am

these are all questions for doctor dog, our resident advice columnist, to whom nobody has ever sent e-mail.

I guess I will forward these questions to him.

The FlyrodsRIP
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 8:17 am

With all due respect to dangerouspinkie and the mighty Mister Mustard, the best hot dog mustard by far is the stellar WOEBER'S SPICY MUSTARD, and it's even better in the plastic squeeze bottle.
Another worthy mention: KOSCIUSCKO'S POLISH BROWN MUSTARD.
Get 'em both at the Piggly Wiggly or the Big Star.
Society Paige
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 8:48 am

RSVP would love to combine your two guilty pleasures, Sherman, and include a dog review column each month, but it would conflict with our current web partners watchmeeataricecake.com

sherman
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 9:51 am

RSVP in the house! Hey, since you don't have the spine to axe Shaftman how the scientologists got hold of him for some brainwashing (& donations, I'm sure), the least you could do is run a column on which party has the best pigs in a blanket this holiday season! In fact, you oughta review the best party food each month. I'm available for that gig.

Best mustard I've had is Stadium Mustard & its knockoff Ballpark Mustard--both from Cleveland--and served at finer ballparks around the country. Cleveland shoulda got the hot dog hall of fame for their efforts instead of rnr hall of fame.

The best hot dogs I've had are in Pittsburgh airport, Fenway (featuring Stadium Mustard), Yankee Stadium, & on N.Y. streets. I don't remember ever having one nearly as good in Memphis. And no, I won't try the Dyer's fried dog.

jerry
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 5:00 pm

Over the weekend I went to a wedding reception at Dodger stadium with dogs on the buffet line (they were terrible, Dodger/Angel hot dog culture has completely gone down the tubes).

The bride is originally from Cleveland and used to bring us back Ballpark Mustard and I agree it's among the best.

eric o
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 5:53 pm

Dodger dogs once had quite a rep.
ledisquairebazookajoe
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 7:37 pm

Damn, I used to eat Dodger Dogs as a kid going to games...I miss listening to Vin Scully's announcements for Farmr John on the AM radio in the stadium parking lot. It's a shame they aren't good anymore.

Do they still make Hot Dog Cradles? That was a great bun.

Yes Sixteene, I'm gettin' to work...

Chris O
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 8:58 pm

indeed, Dodger Dogs set the bar!!! wish i had a tape of Vin Scully doing commercials for Farmer John AND Unocal 76 stations.
Society Paige
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 10:22 pm

I, in fact, make the best pigs in a blanket. Just ask Eric Plumlee, aka "L'il Smokie" But I believe writing so would be a conflict of interest.

I don't give a damn about the Scientologists, all I know is that I've got Isaac saying "Well Helloooo there Mary Helen" in his Chef voice on a cassette tape. That was enough for me. But, I wasn't toally spineless, as I asked him how his salty brown balls were.

Answer: Why, they're just right!

jerry
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 11:34 pm

These recent "Dodger Dogs" looked the part (somewhat thin, extra long), but man, that was one badly textured, salty-ass dog.

It's interesting how a mention of Vin Scully so strongly evokes a certain time and place, not to mention those crackling AM radios.

Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 11:44 pm

I'm more interested in Grills...I know that Weber makes the best propane gas grills...but who is it that makes the best in-ground grills? I forget thier name all the time.

Anyway, each type of grill has it's own seperat pro's and con's and I would like to see the issue addressed in a newspaper or on a web page. The End.

Chris O
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 12:30 am

Jerry :
It's interesting how a mention of Vin Scully so strongly evokes a certain time and place, not to mention those crackling AM radios.

Totally! Some good stuff here:
http://archive.salon.com/people/feature/2001/04/20/douglas_letter/

sherman
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 2:40 am

Had a couple of Dodger Dogs in '85 season...they were good but not new yawk good. They were quite long & quite a good price. I thought dodger stadium was really boring & it was almost impossible to find any booze within the vicinity pre-game. Finally ended up in a vietnamese liquor store where there was a definite language barrier.

I used to be very anti-microwaving hot dogs as the flavor never seemed right but after 25 years of the microwave, I'd say they are finally getting it right. THose xxl smokies taste good microwaved.

As far as the new food column goes, think of the
possibilities: I'm sure the same people who just love to see their picture in print would absolutely D-I-E if their party food got a bad review...so party food standards would go way up and RSVP would carry even more clout with the caterers of the mid-south. BAck off, 901!

sherman
Posted: Dec 19, 2003 3:39 am

Ann Landers would have better answers then "Dr. Hotdawg". Come on, you guys are the pros!

Louie should be rested up since he hasn't done any goner mail in awhile.

The FlyrodsRIP
Posted: Dec 19, 2003 4:53 am

More superior hotdog mustard:
PLOCHMAN'S YELLOW HOT DOG TUB O' MUSTARD!
Slather it everywhere.
Dale
Posted: Dec 19, 2003 5:45 am

Plochman's is the shit!!!
Womb Raider
Posted: Dec 19, 2003 7:48 am

me concur

plochman's fucking rules

I am bringing an entire gym bag on vacation to fill up with condiments.

I need some cream of poodle.

Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 19, 2003 6:14 pm

Wo Boy, "Concur"...I see that definition of the day calender is realy paying off...Lenny.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 19, 2003 6:14 pm

I mean Carl.
ScottTub
Posted: Dec 30, 2003 4:59 am

Hot dogs? get bent.

Have you tried the Crispito?

Let's just say "I'm lovin' it!"

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®