Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Alex Chilton trivia question
finnark
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 1:37 am

Anyone know who did the original "Take It Off" that Alex covers and where to get it? It's on some obscure R&B comp, I think...I know I've heard it...but I can't remember...anyone?
buck wilders
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 2:11 am

That's EVE DARBY... not sure were to get it.
buck wilders
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 2:14 am

That original you probably heard was DON COVAY.
buck wilders
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 2:17 am

Actually... maybe not.
moody prick
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 5:08 pm

"Groundhog" on JAD. There's an interview with Alex somewhere where he refers to this as a Don Covay aka - I dunno? Bo Diddley also cut a version of this on "Where it All Began" with Shuggie Otis on guitar.
ledisquairebazookajoe
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 8:08 pm

It's "Eva" Darby on the Bo LP. "Take off that wig, let me play with yo' natural hair!"
finnark
Posted: Dec 12, 2003 4:08 am

Thankyouverrrymuch, knowledgeable Goners.
Luke Batarang
Posted: Dec 13, 2003 2:43 pm

This Memhis obscurity was written by GROUNDHOG RICHARDSON and has been reissued on the album "Cough Syrup For Elvis Impersonators". Thank Arnold 'The Originals' Rypens for the info.
Luke Batarang
Posted: Dec 13, 2003 2:44 pm

OOps, that's memPhis!
moody prick
Posted: Dec 13, 2003 6:47 pm

This gets curiouser. Calling all geeks, er, forensic musicologists. Anyone else got info?
The writing credit on the 45 I got goes to EVA Darby as well. It's a Canadian RCA pressing, as I wrote - on the J A D label. Intoxica has the following listed: Joe 'Groundhog' Richardson Take it Off/Blues To Take It Off By (Major Minor MM 632) Memphis? Don Covay?
(Cough Syrup? Ah, welcome to Canada, fond memories of the days of codeine syrup, no scrip. Those was fun times! But, that's another thread)
skinandbones
Posted: Dec 31, 2003 6:51 am

Ain't it of one of the Las Vegas Grind comps?? Can't remember which one.
moody prick
Posted: Dec 31, 2003 10:47 am

That "Peter Gunn" rip?
-different song.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®