Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Who here has successfully given up cigarettes?
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 4:55 am

A pack and a half a day for me. Tried a bunch of times. Always start back up. Anybody here had better luck?
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 5:01 am

I quit for like twelve years. I started back up a few years ago. I basically only smoke when I wanna though, which is not very often unless I'm drinking or driving alot.
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 5:05 am

I've been tryin'. A pack a day could be 7" per day when you look at it...
"
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 5:52 am

4 years.
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 6:07 am

I've been in the process of quitting for over a year -- I cut back a lot, only smoked when drinking or on tour. I stopped completely since New Year's, except for during SXSW. My advice is to taper off slowly, maybe use the gum, but don't give up just because you give in once. Keep at it.
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 6:47 am

5 years.
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 6:58 am | Edited by: Rich Balls

I quit about a Year and Half ago. I was a horrible chain smoker, 2 (sometimes more) packs a day (either Reds or Newports) I had tried to quit for years, nothing seemed to work, it literally felt impossible.
here is the only I could have ever quit and stay quit.

1.) Outlaw smoking inside the house and in the car (no matter how far the drive)

2.) Cut down VERY slowly, I gradually cut down for about 5 months or so.

3.) To start, say you smoke a pack and a half a day, cut that down by 3-5 cigs a day. DO that for a week or two.

then cut down to about a pack a day, do that for a month or so.

then cut that down by 3-5 and so on..

I cut back so much that eventually (towards the end) I was allowing myself only 1 cig a day, then half cig a day, then a half cig every 2 days.

just remmeber to cut back so gradually that its barely noticable to your cravings....

I'll admit, it gets a little harder towards the end, but its NOT EVEN CLOSE to how hard it is to try to quit cold-turkey, or over a week-period, WAAYYY Easier
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 7:02 am

oh yeah, my chest doesn't burn anymore and my heart doesn't pound like a mother fucker either. You'll feel alot better, plus you'll save shit tons of cash.
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 7:10 am

I quit smoking 8 1/2 years ago because I had walking pneumonia and was having serious trouble breathing. Cough syrup with codeine helped me through the worst of the first couple of weeks. I pretty much quit cold turkey because I had to. Besides, I had never managed to quit before because I was incapable of tapering off.

At this point, although I have dreams where I am smoking and loving it, I would never want to smoke again. Not the least bit tempted. I've reached the point where my allergies can't take being around other people's smoke, and the idea vaguely grosses me out. Oh, and I don't miss hacking up lung cookies every morning, either.
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 7:39 am

I can't say I ever really gave them up 'cause I couldn't take a puff without coughing madly & damn near passing out, but in high school, I would always sneak behind the bus garage 'cause the chicks with dirt under their nails were back there huffin' on coffin nails.
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 8:28 am

I had walking pneumonia

Yeah, I had to give up crystal meth when I caught the boogie-woogie flu.
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 1:31 pm

I quit for a year (until last fall) by going cold turkey. Worked out fine until I met up w/ people who "smoke when they wanna" and figured I could do the same thing (apparently, I can't). Take a few days off and smoke a lotta weed - if you really wanna quit, you'll make it out.
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 1:41 pm

I have smoked 5 cigarettes since moving here--I only smoked em when Hollis had em and we were drinking in smoky bars. I went out the other night with non-smokers and even though I was tempted once we were in our cups, I refrained. It can be done.
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 2:23 pm

I've given up smoking, drinking, pickles, trimspa, fried chicken, chloral hydrate, klonopin, and valium.
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 2:36 pm

the boogie-woogie flu.
I want that!!!

I quit smoking July 30th 2006 and have since become a total dick. I hate going to bars becuase the all the smoke make me feel like shit.
It was the second time I quit. The first time lasted about a year, but I'd cheat now and then. I think this is for good cause I no longer miss it.
It helped me quit that on August 1st I moved 1000 miles away from where I was living. No one who met me knew I was a smoker and so no one gave me shit about it. Friends can be extremely unsupportive about such things.
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 2:43 pm

I've managed to cut down from 40 a day to two packets of rolling baccy per week, over the course of a coupla years - not smoking in der hoose (as they say in Scottishland, I believe!) helps a shitload, especially over the winter.

I've only been smoking American Spirit or Pueblo organic stuff, too, which has the same amount of tar, but loads more nicotine, and no chemicals - consequently, I don't smoke as much, and my chest feels FAR better for it... I think Rich Balls' plan is sound, just cut down gradually, and move over to rolling tobacco (you don't get that 'only seven cigs in the packet, that's one every two hours' kinda quiet frenzy undertow)...

Jeez, to think that, when I first came to Memphis back in 97, I went mad on cheap cigs and smoked unfiltered Luckies by the carton!!!

The no-smoking ban is hitting the UK this summer, so we're deffo giving up when we get back, but when we hit Memphis, it's Nat Shermans and black pack American Spirits for two weeks! Yowza (cough)!
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 2:59 pm

Getting really sick seems to aid in quitting. On tour my voice was shot and I had a cold but I kept on smoking, but eventually that cold was getting to me so it just seemed natural to not want to smoke, and people would constantly offer me smokes and all I could think was "nigga, ya crazy?"

I actually do feel cravings for smokes, but, it's never when I'm hanging out alone. It always when I'm out drinking somewhere (I enjoy smoking when I'm drinking) and when I'm driving (same there) so I indulge myself when it's something that I want.

I don't really get what's so hard about quitting smoking, but then again, I quit dope, coke and meth too. Of course I've done blow a couple of times in the past couple of years. I'd do dope again too under the right circumstances. I dunno about meth, but that's a drug I still fiend for on occasion. I think the easiest way to kick any addiction is to avoid people who indulge in the activity you're trying to cut out. That sucks for smokers, because it means no going out to the bars or hanging out with almost anyone, but hell, if you wanna quit that's what you HAVE to do. Eventually if you are serious enough about quitting you'll be able to be around the stuff without the desire to do it. About six months after I quit shooting coke I ran into an old dealing buddy of mine who had a few ounces of the stuff and a couple boxes of cleans from the exchange. He told me to come over and that I could do as much as I wanted free. I just said "no thanks." Of course, the next day I was like "what the fuck did I do that for?"
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 3:11 pm

2 pqcks a day

kools

16-43

cigs were going up to to past 3.00 a pack (gov christine)

6 .50 a day times 365

too much that year

soooo
looked in the yellow pages; found a hypnotist 6 blocks away (hoboken); smoked a pack that morning before our 10:00 appt; two hours later and 200 hundred dollars lighter i have not smoked since
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 3:23 pm

i havent quit but i've been in 'cut down' phase for a long time now. I smoke 5 - 7 cigarettes a day. No smoking in the house or car is a good rule (as is living in a fascist state where you cant smoke in bars)
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 3:44 pm

I quit last year and went about four months not smoking. Then I gradually started to bum one here and there out at the bars. After I realized I was turning into one of those annoying non-smoking cigarette moochers, I started buying the rolling tobacco and I've stuck with that for about a year now. I don't think I'll ever go back to the factory smokes.
The rollies are half the price, they taste better and they're a pain in the ass so they keep the consumption level down.
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 3:47 pm

I was in cut down mode for a looooooong time and then realized it was a cop out; either you smoke or don't. I was the "I only smoke when I drink" person, but then I was drinking a lot! So stupid. The real test is to give them up when drinking, if the drink is the "Pavlovian bell" for the smoke. Once you really try this and succeed a few times, it gets easier and easier to do. You really have to have a conversation with yourself and force your willpower against the urge to light up. It is effort.
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 4:20 pm

wanna quit? its easy, here's how: get really loaded before you go see the Melvins, spend the night at a somewhat familiar house, in the middle of the night wake up cuz ya have to piss like a pisshorse, go to the bathroom, fall in bathtub, crack back of the head open just 'tween the skull and neck on soapdish holder thing, sit on toilet with head down tween yer legs, let blood flow and after about 3 minutes, apply pressure to the wound. after dizziness passes, dress wound, and stumble back to bed. I assure you it worked fur me. Smoke free fur over 4 months
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 5:10 pm

i'd give up the melvins first
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 5:27 pm

LOL good one.
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 5:41 pm

i think i successfully have given up on the idea that i will ever be able to quit
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 5:44 pm

i have quit for years at a time brofre and i quit again back in october. went cold turkey the times before that but this time i hit the gum for a while then a friend who does acupuncture was offering the stop smoking procedure for $90 during november (that being the national smoke out month). it's usually $250. anyway, i heard great things about it and i also heard so so things about it, but i tried it and it fucking worked. like any other process, you really have to want to quit for it to be really effective. it was 3 consecutive 20 minute sessions with needles in each ear. i wasn't sure how i was supposed to feel, but 1/2 way through the first seesion there was this HUGE endorphine rush and i felt really high. that night i put it to the test when i met my girlfriend and her parents for dinner. huge steak and bourbon spread and didn't once crave a smoke after. i will say that for a few days i had fucked up dreams and general weirdness since your body and mind have been short circuited to not want something it really wants, but no cravings AT ALL. been the same ever since. best $90 i ever spent.
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 6:01 pm

well then, what about a 300-400 dollar holistic blitzkreig?

acu/patch/hypnosis/weed/empathetic G'friend/no bars for a week

cutting down NEVER works: can you imagine a crackhead saying he/she wasn't't going to get high on next tues and thurs and we wld give him/her kudos?
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 9:20 pm

I just lit a cig off of the toaster. mmmmmmmm
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 9:42 pm

I don't understand the difficulty in quitting smoking, but I was never a big smoker I guess; only a few a day, maybe a whole pack over weekends. Now I stopped buying them, and only really smoke when somebody gives me one at a show. I never get cravings, but never really did... I enjoy smoking on occasion when I am drunk, but when I am sobor it usually makes me feel like shit, and I can't stand the smell of stale cigs & ash.
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 9:43 pm

I did smoke many of Doug's cigarettes over the weekend though...
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 9:45 pm

Move to NYC. 8 bucks a pack should slow ya down.
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 10:48 pm | Edited by: dale

Almost Twenty fucking years of these things for me as a regular habit. It ain't easy...Gonna try soon again though. 5.50 here is the average price for a pack of Reds. Suppose to be a new tax on 'em again soon.

Arman-I talked to somebody about the acupunture and they said "It might affect your rockin'." I wonder if my insurance covers that under ther smoking cessation coverage.
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 10:56 pm

i stopped in feb of 2005. i did the ut study on zyban and the patch. i was in the zyban test group, and it worked. ask your doctor.
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 11:55 pm

i was in the zyban test group, and it worked.

yeah, try zyban.

i smoke a little over a pack a day and have for since i was 15. a few years ago i started taking 300mg of wellbutrin xl (zyban). without even trying to quit i went from 25 cigs a day to 3 to 4 a day and it didn't even bother me... and i love smoking.

after a year i stopped taking the wellbutrin and i smoke just as much as i used to now.
Posted: Mar 28, 2007 12:07 am

Zyban didn't do shit. You realize it was suppose to be a depression treatment med first...I've been through a bunch of those for other reasons...
Posted: Mar 28, 2007 12:33 am

I smoke, but can go days without it. I think the real key is just not making a huge deal out of it.
Posted: Mar 28, 2007 12:59 am

walking pneumonia

why is it whenever anyone uses this phrase it is immediately followed by a reference to the boogie woogie flu? it's the ROCKIN pneumonia, dammit.

chronic walking pneumonia is no fucking fun and is also the reason i quit (a whopping 8 days ago; 4 weeks if you don't count the week of SXSW). i miss it bad but asthma meds and steroids have stopped working for me when i do finally get sick and that scares me. i dont want emphysema. or however that's spelled. i hate coughing.
Posted: Mar 28, 2007 1:01 am

My wife is a smoker, and five years ago, when I told her I was quitting, she said "Yeah, right. You can't quit". I haven't smoked a single cigarette since. I quit out of SPITE.
Posted: Mar 28, 2007 1:06 am

Anyone here tried Chantix, the new "quit smoking" drug? I have talked to a couple people who have tried it and they said the stuff works--makes cigarettes taste like shit after the first week and curbs the craving to smoke.
Posted: Mar 28, 2007 5:38 am | Edited by: Miss Faye

Getting really sick seems to aid in quitting.

That's true! When I finally quit for good about a year ago, it was during/after a stomach virus. That, plus I was just ready. I had been holding onto that particular vice after quitting everything else, but it just got silly. I ride distance bicycle and it became a choice of what do I want to do more. Cold turkey (cutting down is not in my nature -- it's all or nothing), but being a teetotaler definitely worked in my favor. Good luck!
Posted: Mar 28, 2007 7:06 am

i started as a teenager & was a smoker for 20+ years.
i was a total chain smoker, i was smoking drum the last 5 years.
not being able to smoke on airplanes was hell for me.
i had a regular smokers cough but i couldn't go a day w/o a smoke.

ever read the steve martin book "cruel shoes"? the bit about smoking, that was me.

then about a year ago i was shitfaced drunk at the funhouse & fell over backwards off a barstool & broke a rib.
it hurt so fucking bad everytime i coughed w/ that broken rib i had to quit.
i used the patch to help ween me off the nick.

it's almost been a year of me not smoking.

so yeah, if ya wanna quit & ya have a hard time i'll add to the chorus of getting sick or just breaking a part of ya.
Posted: Mar 28, 2007 4:24 pm

Getting sick never stopped me. Threats, dares, bribes etc.. never worked. I hated the fact that I was maybe enjoying 1 out of 4 cigs and had no control over myself. $7.00 a pack. I was like the cocaine monkey. Couldn't stop. New York gives away free patches, I called up, spent 8 weeks going crazy and not sleeping and then calmed down (sort of). Over a year, I'm still not smoking but I think about it all the time.
Posted: Mar 28, 2007 4:41 pm

I quit smoking in January one day (the day after Krewe du Vieux) because I felt disgusting. To really quit, you need to really WANT to quit. If you are 100 percent behind quitting, you'll stop; if there is still a part of you that wants to smoke, you'll continue.
Posted: Mar 28, 2007 7:36 pm

My last great plan to quit smoking involved weening myself off by started to use dip as a nicotine substitue. That did not work at all and was probably one of the dumbest ideas I ever had. I ended up getting some adderal and getting drunk and had a beer in my hand, dip in my lip, and a cig hanging out of my mouth. Quite disgusting.
Posted: Mar 28, 2007 7:51 pm

If you are 100 percent behind quitting, you'll stop

Exactly. Quitting anything is pretty easy, you just gotta want to. That's the hard part. No amount of prison, yer old lady's bitching, or potential ill effects to yer health will ever help at all. You just gotta want to quit, and then yer there dude... and if you don't wanna quit, why even try?
Posted: Mar 30, 2007 8:29 am

I'm in it's slave trade I guess.
Posted: Oct 25, 2008 6:30 pm

I quit cigarettes yesterday. I took to them when I quit weed back in June/July. I can't believe how difficult it has been. I cried for about 2 hours last night for absolutely no reason. I'm out there, but I'm not that big of a crack up. I thought I had lost it. I couldn't stop crying and there was absolutely nothing wrong. This morning I read that nicotine withdrawal can cause that. I had about another hour of it this afternoon. I think its all passed now. I've been avoiding people for 2 days. I think cigarettes were harder to quit than pot and sex combined. Granted, I only quit sex for a year, but still. If you don't smoke, don't start. If you do smoke, it would be wise to quit before the manufactured appocalypse comes.
Posted: Oct 25, 2008 6:38 pm

Not me. I gave them up AGAIN (third time) for over a year and then moved back to Memphis and well, every time I go out, I want smokes. Don't wanna blame it on everyone else, but more people smoke here than down in lame FLA.
Posted: Oct 25, 2008 6:46 pm | Edited by: Alisa

I'm having a real hard time with it right now. I can't breathe, I cough this alarming cough half the time. But goddamnit, I love to smoke.
I had to see the doctor yesterday anyway, and asked him to write me an Rx for those nicotine inhalers. I like those better than anything. Chantix makes me psychotic-er.
Memphis is just a smoking town.
Posted: Oct 25, 2008 6:53 pm

Started when I was 13...quit when I was 30...8 years ago...weed too (from smoking 3 joints a day, TO MY HEAD, when living in Hawaii), although that can be a retarded little treat once a year or two. Bye bye!! Don't miss 'em one bit, and I'm in better shape than when I was 25. Don't you just want to push me off a boat?
Posted: Oct 25, 2008 7:04 pm

I smoked a pack of non tobacco non nicotine herbal cigarettes to help me get over it initially. It did help because they did absolutely nothing and made lighting up unrewarding. I believe I am through the worst of it. I was only smoking about 5-10 a day. I can't imagine how difficult it would be smoking more and longer. Chemical dependency is fucked up. I've never experienced anything like this. I cannot imagine trying to quit crack or heroine. I missed pot, but I didn't cry for goodness sakes. I can also hit it occasionally and not really want to buy any or do more. I'm not even going to try that with cigarettes. I don't believe in evil, but cigarettes are evil. I almost never cry. I can't believe cigarettes made me cry.
Posted: Oct 25, 2008 10:01 pm

What did it for me was judo. I went straight from a 2 hour workout to a place where I always smoked a pack in a couple of hours. I've never had a less welcome smoke. I haven't smoked since. So maybe wanting to quit, plus an intensely negative experience can turn the trick. I've wanted to smoke every so often since then, but the moment passes. Part of getting past the moment can be pure will - "I'm better than this."
Posted: Oct 25, 2008 10:09 pm

I only quit sex for a year, but still.
Was that by choice?!
Posted: Oct 25, 2008 10:33 pm

Was that by choice?!

Yes. I was making terrible decisions.
Posted: Oct 25, 2008 11:25 pm

Quit cold turkey 8 years ago...still goin strong.

I do like a nice cigar tho...on occasion
Posted: Oct 26, 2008 12:25 am

When I quit about 8 years ago it was so damn easy, I didn't know what the fuzz was all about. So at this fest, like half a year later, I thought I could smoke some coz quitting was so easy for me. Wrong!!! I'm still smoking since and haven't been able to stop. I wanna stop again soon though; my girlfriend doesn't smoke and I donĀ“t like that I'm destroying that nice odeur in her apartment every time I'm there.
Posted: Oct 26, 2008 1:11 am

i quit smoking altogether a couple of years back when i started derby. i was one of those people who would only smoke when they drank, but i just kept feeling so much like shit that i couldn't even do that. it took me a whole week to smoke an entire pack of cigs when i was younger and actually considered myself a smoker. but i quit doin that after a particularly nasty run in with a sinus infection that advanced into a sore throat/pleuresy/pneumonia combo and just did the smoking/drinking combo. but derby kicked my ass and i couldn't skate worth a flying shit and would cough up crap all the time if i smoked. so now, no more cigs. feel much much much better.
Posted: Oct 26, 2008 6:50 pm

So, I'm smoking mugwort at the moment. God love the witches. I didn't have any papers and i couldn't find my bible so I rolled it up in a page from the book of mormon. My friend told me if I feel weepy later I can come over and lay in her lap and she will pet my head. Its way more helpful than my boyfreidn was. Man, I wonder if I still have a boyfriend. At least I am still not smoking pot or cigarettes. I have no appetite though. I thought nicotine withdrawal is supposed to increase your appetite. At least I didn't really get weepy today.
Posted: Oct 26, 2008 7:54 pm

4 or 5 times. i rule! haha
Posted: Oct 26, 2008 8:12 pm

dude, i'm done

i made it almost a week (although the first three days may not count since i was sick as a dog) - i figured since i made it thru the illness i might as well just not pick em back up - i lit up a couple yesterday but i did just light them and then toss them. none smoked today. i'm not really enjoying smoking these days so fuck it
Posted: Oct 26, 2008 8:31 pm

Keep it up 'Dude. It just gets easier.
Posted: Oct 26, 2008 8:42 pm

dude, i'm done

i made it almost a week

Rad! keep strong.
Posted: Oct 26, 2008 8:55 pm

I'm on the verge of buying a pack all the time. I forget how long it's been... two weeks, maybe more.

Bought an ashtray today. Old Milwaukee cast metal ashtray - I could not resist!

Hopefully I'll never use it.
Posted: Oct 26, 2008 9:13 pm

Started when I was 13...quit when I was 30...8 years ago...

Quit cold turkey 8 years ago...still goin strong.

When I quit about 8 years ago it was so damn easy

Millennium quitters club?
Posted: Oct 26, 2008 9:19 pm

I think mormon mugworts was a bad idea. I've had 8 of them and may soon be starting on my 2nd page.
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 8:22 am

I got sick of all the sinus infections and asthma as a result of my
pack and a half habit...

Those bills pile the fuck up after awhile.

I did like smoking tho...smoking just kept kicking me in the balls and wallet

So yeh....8 years and counting....
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 12:35 pm

I tried the gum just for kicks. My advice is not to drink a Mountain Dew while chewing it, because it causes your throte to retract and it will give you a horrible bout of the hiccups. It's bareable only if you pretend every hickup is a miniature orgasm.
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 12:50 pm

I got the doctor to write me a script for the Nicotrol Inhalers (used those once long ago with some degree of success) and just went to get it filled. They wanted $175 for those things!!
No can do...
Posted: Oct 29, 2008 1:23 pm

Alisa go to mexico and get that shit filled for 20 bucks...
I'll be doing the med run to mexico this saturday whoohoo
Posted: Oct 29, 2008 3:45 pm

twenty bucks?!
Posted: Oct 29, 2008 3:53 pm

Quit cold turkey when I was 29. Glad I did. Cigarettes suck.
Posted: Oct 29, 2008 4:00 pm | Edited by: dustymedical

i quit cold turkey on the way home from SxSW one year, after smoking 2 packs a day and drinking from 11am-5am 4 days in a row. the 22 hour ride home in a van leaking exhaust was probably the clincher. i was sick for about 2 months after that, but never looked back.
Posted: Oct 29, 2008 4:02 pm

Just finished reading David Sedaris's new book. His longest essay was on how he quit smoking. He took three months off and went to Japan!
If only it was that easy.
Posted: Oct 29, 2008 4:35 pm

Smoking all the time makes me feel like shit. That, and the ridiculous cost of cigarettes now = fuck smoking.
Posted: Oct 29, 2008 4:41 pm

Wanna quit smoking? One Word: SKOAL !!!!
Posted: Oct 29, 2008 4:55 pm

some people seem to think it's easier by replacing cigs with weed, but after i smoke pot, the first thing I want is a cigarette. i have successfully been able to cut back a lot though over the years, so i'm not worrying anymore about it. i like it. i really do. I am in favor of a ban here though.
Posted: Oct 29, 2008 5:38 pm

but after i smoke pot, the first thing I want is a cigarette.

a fucking men. It's a whole addiction trigger unto itself. Or maybe two addictions working in concert.
Posted: Oct 29, 2008 10:33 pm

Ok, I finished off the last of the mormon mugwort tonight and yes I am drunk on spiced wine. And I spent the evening disucsussing wonderful things with my best friend about things like ufos and God and absent parents. Wah. Anyway, I still didn\\\'t have a cigarette though she had a few and that feels like an accomplishment, but God damn it, why do I love crazy men. At least I\\\'m too drunk to walk up to the store for a cigarette. Before you judge me consider the reality of it all. Amen.
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 3:54 am

This Sunday will be 3 weeks that I have quit. I am taking the money I would have spent on smokes and buying records. I am setting them aside from my other records, so I can see them build up.
Cutting back (for me anyway) does not work. Especially while drinking. I also drank a few days the first week. I did this to get used to drinking and not smoking, cause I know I am not going to quit drinking. I would wait until the 3 day tough. All of the nicotine (I think anyway) leaves your body after 24 hours or so.
I've smoked for over 15 years and have tried to quit several times. Its hard, but I think giving yourself some incentive (besides not getting cancer) is a good way, such as spending the money on records.
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 2:23 pm

but after i smoke pot, the first thing I want is a cigarette.

I used to be the same way. It never felt right without following it with a cigarette. Now, it actually kinda' kills my buzz a lot of the time.
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 2:32 pm

i have successfully smoked 6 cigs today.
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 2:56 pm

cold as ice garage turkey

i'm buggin
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 10:14 pm

I had a cigarette today. I was thoroughly stressed out and depressed. It helped with the nerves and gave me a little buzz. I didn't want another. I don't want one now.
Posted: Oct 31, 2008 7:42 am

twenty bucks?!

Thats right...maybe a little more.
I'll price shop tomorrow and report back...
fuck paying U.S. prices for meds...and fuck
smoking cigs man oh man talk abut overpriced...
Posted: Nov 3, 2008 9:17 am

22 bucks for the nicotrol inhalers...

I'll be back down in MX over the thanksgivin holidays.

PM me and I'll make a shopping list
Posted: Nov 3, 2008 9:23 am

cold as ice garage turkey

i'm buggin

you started on thursday? lemme know how it's going. i'm almost there... again.
Posted: Nov 3, 2008 9:47 am

Yesterday was 3 weeks. During this 3 weeks, I have had a ton of things going on. I've played 2 shows (drank a lot at both), Been to several shows (drank a lot), went to Ottawa and Montreal for a trip (more drinking), my birthday was a few weeks ago ( drinking day before, day of, and day after) and have had a few band practices (again with the drinking and band mates that smoke).
I quit once before and decided to have a cigarette only when I was drinking. Did not work. Now I am having none! Not even a drag.
walking around Montreal, I have never seen so many smokers. Everybody on the street has a cigarette. I did fine.
Oh yes and on my birthday - I went to the LQ store and they were giving away sample packs of Nicorette gum. I grabbed some. It almost made me sick. Especially the next day. It taste good for 2 minutes and then it's like chewing tabaco.
Posted: Nov 3, 2008 9:53 am

i smoked one cigarette on friday night - so that has me at 1 smoke per week for the past 2 weeks

it's this time of day at work that bugs me out - i always took 11am smoke breaks so i get antsy around 11 and stay that way til around 4 - ha
Posted: Nov 3, 2008 10:19 am | Edited by: spyceeburrito

I have never seen so many smokers.

thats crazy cause when i quit it seemed like everybody was smokin everywhere.i guess when yer part of the crew you dont notice how many people really do have that nasty fuckin habit! keep it up Matt. thats rad you've stayed strong!

i'm almost there... again.
dude! you smoke hella especially when you DJ !you made my lungs hurt just watchin you smoke! you should quit!
Posted: Nov 8, 2008 5:37 pm

just had my last cig this morning. i'm praying i never have another. let's hope i don't crack tonight behind the turntables.
Posted: Nov 8, 2008 5:45 pm | Edited by: spyceeburrito

chew gum L.A.M.F.! or get sum patches?

did xtine quit 2?
Posted: Nov 8, 2008 6:00 pm

nope. i just had to buy her some today.

i'm already breathing better, i think. like, i'm even more hyper!
Posted: Nov 8, 2008 6:20 pm

will my teefus magically turn back to white?
Posted: Nov 8, 2008 7:50 pm

nov. 15th will be 2 years for me...the thought of smoking again makes me wanna puke.
Posted: Nov 9, 2008 11:57 am

today is one Month!
Posted: Nov 9, 2008 11:57 am

i did pretty good til the booze and drugs got in the way!

ok, starting again right.... NOW!
Posted: Nov 9, 2008 12:14 pm

I figured out that when I felt like crap the next day after partying, it was because I was smoking so much, not really from the booze/drugs. I quit cold-turkey and haven't had a cigarette in almost two years (except for two cloves when I was wasted).
Posted: Nov 10, 2008 5:18 pm | Edited by: hemant

today is one Month!

Damn! Good job.. I was ready to bet against you when you got the free nicorette. Even the smallest bit of nicotine reactivates the chemical receptors. The physical chemical need is gone after 3 days. After that its just mental determination
Posted: Nov 11, 2008 8:12 am

Damn! Good job..

Thanks!

Yeah the Nicorette gum is a bad idea in my opinion. I guess everybody is different, but I think replacing one habit with another is not a good idea. Besides, the gum cost twice as much as the cigarettes do and when you can't afford the gum you are more than likely going to have a smoke.

Played a house party/ show last weekend. Everybody was smoking inside and outside. A lot of people smoking around me and I was drinking.
I think another reason I am able to quit this time around, is because when I am in that sort of situation and do not smoke, I get an overwhelming sense of pride, knowing that I have conquered one of the toughest goals of my life. It helps quite a bit.
Posted: Nov 11, 2008 8:34 am

today is day two. haven't cracked yet. made it four days last time, so we'll see.
Posted: Nov 11, 2008 9:27 am

today is day two. haven't cracked yet. made it four days last time, so we'll see.

good job fucko!
Posted: Nov 11, 2008 5:58 pm

sorry, it's day three and i'm smoke free!

HIGH FIVE!
Posted: Nov 11, 2008 6:40 pm

this is how i quit:
i totalled my car in april
then rode my bike everywhere
it got too hot to smoke.
chantix has really unnacceptable side effects and is considered dangerous.
acupuncture works real well and there is a guy at the first congo who does it on a sliding scale.
Posted: Nov 11, 2008 7:04 pm

seriously, PLEASE dont take chantix.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chantix#Side_Effects

it can make you kill yourself.
Posted: Nov 11, 2008 7:32 pm

i smoked a cigarette today
it was gross
the ting is i never threw away my pack when i quit so i've still got 2 more smokes in my jacket -- when they're finished hopefully i'll put an end to this one a week thing
the thing is when you take a break from smoking that 1st smoke sucks - it's like the total opposite of when you take a break from beer - when you haven't had a beer for a while that 1st beer fucking rules - it just aint true with smokes
Posted: Nov 11, 2008 8:37 pm

crucialdude, you can do it!
Posted: Nov 12, 2008 6:50 am

You smokers should see the awesome COPD trainwrecks I
have to deal with today. Surefire deterrent.
Posted: Nov 12, 2008 12:58 pm

You smokers should see the awesome COPD trainwrecks I
have to deal with today. Surefire deterrent.

and the cancers i get that are body bags full of soup
Posted: Nov 12, 2008 1:12 pm

I'm 63 hours into quitting.
Posted: Nov 12, 2008 2:30 pm

none since saturday night. feeling like a champ!
Posted: Nov 14, 2008 10:49 am

day 6 and going strong. last night i even drank a bottle of wine and a pitcher of beer and didn't freak.
Posted: Nov 14, 2008 10:51 am

I'm smoking right now and loving it.
Posted: Nov 14, 2008 11:43 am

I am 109 hours in.
Posted: Nov 14, 2008 11:49 am

I am 109 hours in.

seeing any tracers yet?
Posted: Nov 14, 2008 12:15 pm

I'm smoking right now and loving it.

must be pole!
Posted: Apr 5, 2013 2:33 am

I did it. I havent smoked since December 2010. Of course I was pregnant for years and that helped.
Posted: Apr 5, 2013 8:02 am

Over 10 years free from tobacco here....

Use a vape or go turkey..either way ditch that 20th century crutch
Posted: Apr 5, 2013 8:26 am

I love the 20th century, don't put it that way. I also miss tobacco culture...you know how long it's been since I've seen a tobacco patch?
Posted: Apr 5, 2013 11:00 am

Tobacco is toxic garbage.

Why bother defending it?

I was born in the 20th century so I'm partial to the art music and culture.

It is indeed a 20th century mass marketed mistake...yes it generates lots of money but so does McDonalds and Walmart.
Posted: Apr 5, 2013 1:28 pm

I was pregnant for years

what are you, a manatee???
Posted: Apr 5, 2013 4:40 pm

Well 41 weeks plus 37 weeks with 6 weeks in between. There are babies everywhere. What do they call people who use condoms only when they think they are fertile? Parents. What do they call people who use condoms every time while waiting for dad to get surgery? Parents of twins. At least I quit smoking and they are all pretty awesome.
Posted: Apr 8, 2013 9:31 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Between ciggarettes and the morning after pill...I choose the pill! Smokes are too pricey.

I don't smoke...I just think the world has bigger problems....sure they are driving up health insurance...you know what else is driving up health insurance? Fucking baby boomers who won't die.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®