Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Richmond Va Goners
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 3:39 am

Okay I havent been back home in like 6 years... I havent really talked to my old friends too much .. anything cool in that shithole of a town...Bands... Bars... ect.....Gonna stay for a week next month...
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 7:26 am

I was just there a few weekes ago. My girlfriend's from there and I'd never been before. Good food, cheap records (cuz nobody seems to like good music ala Joe Tex, Buck Owens...), nice folks. Didn't see any shows so can't vouch for that. Roanoke fuckin ruled way more, though!
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 7:28 am

NOTHING resembling Goners there- not that thats a terrible thing.
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 2:10 pm

depends on what you like i spose.

evil fools day/cycle slaughterama at the beginning of the month.

carytown plan 9 basement for cheap records.

empire (used to be hole in the wall, then holy chow)/ipanema/mojos for drinks.

my favorite places to eat are karens city diner on broad, 821 on cary past vcu campus, sticky rice for sushi, the eatery for cheap chinese...or panda veg for a buffet (if yer into all that vegan shit), assantes for pizza...

i dont know if twisters was there when you were but it became 921 then nanci raygun then shut down completely in august and they have shows at this uber lame place called hyperlink...i wouldnt go.

check URL when yer headin up. that should do ya.
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 2:28 pm

ellen haines!
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 6:03 pm

if anyone has a line on a good spot to play we'd love to know about it...red rockets and grave blankets will be there early-mid may and are looking
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 6:13 pm

Isn't Richmond just full of crusties?
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 6:24 pm

red rockets and grave blankets will be there early-mid may and are looking

It's booked in Charlottesville --- I told Ethan!!
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 7:09 pm

Yeah my impression so far is that there aren't many goner types except at Blacksburg (somewhat close to Roanoke). I would also like to know if there is anyone in that state that doesn't love jesus.
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 7:20 pm

the eatery for cheap chinese.

I used to eat here everyday when I worked at The Little Yogurt Shop on Cary.

Plan 9's a good store.

Byrd Theatre! for cheap flicks.

Heh, pretty much. Used to be Math Rock Town Number One too.

There are lots of greaseheads there, all workin on there cars and listening to rockabilly.

I miss The Fan.
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 9:00 pm

richmond is pretty cool sometimes, i go to school in harrisonburg which is about an hour and a half from there. we're playing with the carbonas there a week from today at the bonezone, which is a house that house shows weekly. joe t- about roanoke, what was cool there? ive never been but we're thinking about checking it out.
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 9:02 pm

Yeah my impression so far is that there aren't many goner types except at Blacksburg (somewhat close to Roanoke). I would also like to know if there is anyone in that state that doesn't love jesus.

actually i dont think there are any "goner types" really in blacksburg, except for one dude I know who's a year younger than myself. There's a few in richmond and a few here in harrisonburg actually. A good handful of reatards fans etc.
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 10:07 pm

yep.

Yeah my impression so far is that there aren't many goner types except at Blacksburg (somewhat close to Roanoke).

blacksburg is full of hippies and hokies...its a no go in ma book.

we're playing with the carbonas there a week from today at the bonezone

bonezones pretty much the only place left worth going to anymore. My friend Mark lives there and runs Richmond House Shows on "the space."

There are lots of greaseheads there, all workin on there cars and listening to rockabilly.

i never saw a single greaser in the 5 years i lived there....weird.
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 10:09 pm | Edited by: hethurr

Byrd Theatre! for cheap flicks.

URL

its wonderful!
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 11:33 pm

the eatery is my favorite. I never miss it when I'm in richmond. get the cheeseburger sub!
Posted: Mar 28, 2007 12:14 am

I rarely check this board and today I see that there are people talking about Blacksburg. Weird.

I'm that one dude from Blacksburg. I'm not quite sure what "Goner type" means, but I'm sure there aren't any in Blacksburg. If you're talking about taste in music, then I'm definitely the only person who likes bands that are popular on this board. I've met a few people that are into similar stuff, but that's about it.

There's not much to do here if you're visiting. Records are a joke and overpriced; Gillies (vegetarian/vegan), Souvlakis (Greek), Mike's (burgers) and the Cellar are the only good restaurants in town; and the Lyric is good for indie movies (all of the places I mentioned are downtown and within like 2 or 3 blocks from each other). There are house and bar shows here regularly but you're not going to be blown away. Lots of nice people but most of the bands wouldn't appeal to "Goner types." However, Blacksburg is great for outdoors stuff and the people here are usually very friendly.

Nice people and a relaxed atmosphere make it a good place to live, but it's not very exciting if you're from out of town.
Posted: Mar 28, 2007 12:16 am

Oh yeah, HOKIES ARE FUCKING ANNOYING. I can't stand walking around town the day of a football game.
Posted: Mar 28, 2007 12:31 am

wasn't there a fellah from Blacksburg who posted on here (a long time ago,) about a tragic addicent at his apartment which regularly hosted shows/parties?
Posted: Mar 28, 2007 12:52 am

That was Clint who now lives in Milwaukee.
Posted: Mar 28, 2007 2:14 am

I liked Richmond when we played there last summer. Reminded me alot of Milwaukee. There was a local band that played that was decent and a kind of lo-fi conglomoration of psychedelia and grungey indie rock, but in a good way, as difficult as that may sound. The kids there were nice, porch punks with a mildly PC bent, but they all liked to drink and smoke grass. There was also cute girls.
Posted: Mar 28, 2007 2:18 am | Edited by: banned

double post, woops.
Posted: Mar 28, 2007 6:20 pm

Jsst saw that the Carbonas are playing at the Bone Zone with Government Warning April 3rd.
Posted: Mar 28, 2007 8:32 pm

about roanoke, what was cool there?
I just liked the small city thang. People were real nice, and the bands were pretty good. Theres at least one garage band there. No hipsters just good Southern folks. I'd never spent much time in Virginia so I liked the lay of the land, etc...
Posted: Mar 28, 2007 9:21 pm

about roanoke, what was cool there?

center in the square-the market building for anything you want to eat.

happys flea market

downtown roanoke looks like a gingerbread town. its cute. not much going on, though.
Posted: Mar 28, 2007 10:18 pm

Theres at least one garage band there.

I don't know much about Roanoke, but I do know that the Lobsters and the Young Sinclairs are from there. The Lobsters are decent, but the Young Sinclairs are the best live band in southwest Virginia right now. There's another band called Sabbath Pink that's more arty, but what I have heard on their Myspace page sounds good. I definitely want to see 'em live.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®