Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / what's the best live lp?(Wham! dosn't count, Greg)
Goubler
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 2:58 am

bootlegs count, but no KICK OUT THE JAMS or LIVE AT THE APOLLO.

my vote:JERRY LEE LEWIS LIVE AT THE STAR CLUB.

buck wilders
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 3:25 am

Since Wham! doesn't count... JOE TEX "Live & Lively."
buck wilders
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 3:29 am

Maybe even ETTA JAMES "Rocks the House"... I still stand by WHAM!
lacey underwear
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 3:46 am

What are some other fake live albums besides "Unleashed in the East?"
buck wilders
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 3:55 am

That 13th Floor Elevators Live lp is fake as fuck.
ledisquairebazookajoe
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 4:17 am

I was gonna say Jerry Lee in Hamberger too! I got it for my birthday this year. It's the best. One time when I was really cracked out I jammed the Deep Purple live double rec. and it ruled. The O's live in Atl. is a smokin' bitch of an alb. How about Otis Redding live at the Whiskey? Is there an LP of it? I got the Papa's Got A Brand New Bag 45 from that session and it's better than JB's studio version!
schmatt
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 4:27 am

The Replacements "bootleg"-'Shit,Shower and Shave',- great versions of Another Girl, Another Planet, September Gurls, Answering Machine, Unsatisfied
BigScottRogers
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 4:31 am

Alive! She Cried by The Doors,... or that 19 1/2 min. version/medley of Unbroken Chain/Not Fade Awayfrom the 76' New Years Show at Nassau Coliseum, brah.
ledisquairebazookajoe
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 4:32 am

OK, alla these seriously fuckin' KILL!!!
Ornette Cleman Live at The Golden Circle in Stockholm Vol. 1 and 2

Charles Mingus Paris Sessions feat. Eric Dolphy. On Revenge Records.

Uhhhh, thought I had more...various Cramps' boots, fuck, Idunno...

rocknrollnurse
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 4:50 am

OBLIVIANS rock'n roll holiday
LIVE IN ATLANTA 8/19/1994

Compulsive Gamblers
LIVE & DEADLY
Memphis/Chicago

Clif
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 4:54 am

Rolling Stones - Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out
Teengenerate - Live at Shelter
Hound Dog Taylor -Beware of Dog
Arturo
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 5:47 am

the best Live album is definetely Throwing Copper. i mean c'mon "lightning crashes" is like the most beautiful modern rock song of the 90s.
trash
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 5:50 am

Crime - Hate Us or Love Us We Don't Give A Fuck
Bad Times live in Normal,IL (not an lp, but whatever)
Malaria! - Revisited, Live at Danceteria NY & 9:30 Club
chriscrunch
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 6:26 am

stooges - metallic KO
johnny cash - at folsom prison
cheap trick at budokan!

as far as other fake live albums go... KISS ALIVE has got to be the most famous example

joe danger
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 7:01 am

james brown did a few fake live recordings...neil hamburger...
ledisquairebazookajoe
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 7:08 am

How could I forget Beware Of The Dog??? I DJ'd Let's Get Funky at Niagara a few weeks ago...THE BEST!!! Sounds to me like half the O's songs are based on it! JB's Sex Machine is fake live...wait till y'all here Necessary Evils Live At The Chemical Lounge...all mastered and out soon!!!
otto parts
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 7:34 am

james brown - "love power peace live"

ac/dc - "if you want blood you got it"

johnny cash - "live at san quentin" (the
columbia reissue with all the extras)

journeyfan007
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 9:24 am

Kingsmen III or "Party at Steve's House"
Some Dude
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 9:54 am

Frampton Comes Alive
joe danger
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 1:53 pm

i'm gonna have to agree with hound dog taylor- the godfather of bluespunk.
Todd Trickknee
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 3:04 pm

Some of the above, plus X "1979" and Venom P Stinger "Davis."
shag
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 6:22 pm

yardbirds in 68 'last hurrah in the big apple'i don't even remember where i got it, but it's the only record i keep in the sleeve and the only one without jeff gun's fingerprints all over it.
smartypants
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 7:01 pm

etta james rocks the house is my fave too. bought in the cut out bin at schwab's. there's no toppin' it. i wish i coulda been at that show.
Adam
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 7:03 pm

* Reverend Louis Overstreet with his sons and the congregation of St. Luke's Powerhouse Church of God in Christ, on Arhoolie

* Albert Ayler - Live in Greenwich Village

smartypants
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 7:07 pm

etta james rocks the house is my fave too. bought in the cut out bin at schwab's. there's no toppin' it. i wish i coulda been at that show.
5thAve
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 7:45 pm

Sam Cooke Live at the Harlem Sq. Club

Hypsterz--Hypstrization! (sp?)

That aussie 'Stones Boot from '73 (the one w/Keith all passed out on the cover)

Tom Jones Live at the Talk of the Town (rips like ripping was going out of style)

ledisquairebazookajoe
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 7:50 pm

NO SHIT!!! Is that the most manic version of Land of 1,000 Dances ever or what?!?!?
5thAve
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 8:32 pm

yeah yeah!
"Good News"! "Bright Lights and YOU Girl"!

oh yeah--Arcie Shepp Live in San Francisco too.

schmatt
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 9:28 pm

I second CG-Live and Deadly, and also VU-Live at Max's Kansas City, heard it two million times, but still great.
nickg
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 10:40 pm

don't know if it's on here yet or not, but i'm gonna go with:

*Lou Reed--[u]American Poet[/u]

i love that record. sometimes the guitar sounds like james williamson!

creepydrifter
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 10:41 pm

Grand Funk Railroad: Live at the '72 Atlanta Pop Festival. Mark's guitar sounds like total shit, but Mel's bass is 'bong rattling'...and there was this LIVE Neil Diamond disc I heard a few years ago that was recorded in a small club in LA in the late 60s/early 70s that was just him and a 3 piece band. It was TIGHT.
chriscrunch
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 10:50 pm

real kids - grown up wrong... can't believe i forgot about that one
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 11:35 pm

I passed up a Grand Funk Live album at the thrift store the other day, because I already have 2 rockin Grand Funk Live Double Albums.

The Yardbirds live albums are great, and the only shit they got that seems to be affordable...have you ever priced Yardbirds vinyl? I can't find any studio albums for under 20...

My favorite live albums is:

The recordings of Little Richard and Jimi Hendrix, I found this at the thrift store, it's a bunch all the live Little Richard tracks that got Jimmi playin guitar on them....It's probbably my all time favorite.

Then I got Kiss Alive (I and yeah II too)

And then I got Dead Moon "Live Evil"....this is one of my all time favorite albums....I also got got Live in Hamburg or whatever...and it's pretty good, but I like Live Evil....I like how Tooty says "motherfuckers" alot.

otto parts
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 11:35 pm

man - real kids "senseless" may be even better. that 7+ minute version of "all kindsa girls" is amazing, especially the part where john felice starts his mid-song spiel about how his girl's been all over town and he has to clean his sheets three times a week.
5thAve
Posted: Dec 10, 2003 11:49 pm

and what about that Live Lou Reed record "Take No Prisoners", the one where he's all coked out and won't shut the fuck up?
Creepydrifter, that Neil Diamond record you're talking about is "GOLD", probably called that cause that's what it IS. Solid gold. Smokin HOT. Rockin' all the (early) hits with a small band. He sounds like a caged tiger on "Cherry Cherry"... Grrrrrr!
scumpuke
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 12:04 am

i second cliff:

Hound Dog Taylor -Beware of Dog

Talbot
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 12:12 am

ZZ Top - Fandango
scumpuke
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 12:32 am

fandango very much, everything except for the lame "jailhouse rock" cover
scumpuke
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 12:35 am

yeah fandango, everything except for the lame "jailhouse rock" cover. auctioneer vocals need to be revived (but who has the balls).
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 12:37 am

I have Fandango, and it's good but I'm not a super huge fan...I think the best ZZ Top albums is the one that has the picture of them looking like Giants playing guitar in the desert...I think it's called Tequila Moon or something..

I don't understand why someone called Hound Dog Taylor the father of Bluespunk?...Is it because he started out using a cheap acoustic, and then moved on to Tiescos?.....I don't have his live album, but I got some of those Classic Chess cd's of his...and I don't realy get the punk connection. Did he use the ramones chord.....I think Bo Diddley's rythyms and Big Joe Williamson gear was pretty punk.

scumpuke
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 12:52 am

well this is the only HD taylor album you need. that's it, forget chess. 2 guitars, no bass, lost his wig.
buck wilders
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 12:57 am

TEEGARDEN & VANWINKLE "An Evening At Home" is also good. I was wondering if that CIRCUIT BENDERS "Live In Lacey's Neighbor's Bathroom" was out yet? This could very well be the answer everyone is looking for.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 12:58 am

Yeah, I guess he does got it going on in alot of punk respects.....but I never heard a blues punk band that sounded like Hound Dog Taylor...He's probbably punker than Big Joe Williams...but Big Joe Williams stapled pie pans to his solid state amp, and he played a 6 string soverign strung up like a 12 string! and he'd kick cans and shit for added rythym....Hound Dog Taylor...I'd like to start a blues punk band that sounds like hound dog taylor...JOn Spencer's about the closest I can think of, and even that's like to primal in some respects, and to structured in others.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 12:59 am

Yeah, I guess he does got it going on in alot of punk respects.....but I never heard a blues punk band that sounded like Hound Dog Taylor...He's probbably punker than Big Joe Williams...but Big Joe Williams stapled pie pans to his solid state amp, and he played a 6 string soverign strung up like a 12 string! and he'd kick cans and shit for added rythym....Hound Dog Taylor...I'd like to start a blues punk band that sounds like hound dog taylor...JOn Spencer's about the closest I can think of, and even that's like to primal in some respects, and to structured in others.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 1:11 am

That ZZ Top album is Tejas.
scumpuke
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 1:41 am

Sam Cooke Live at the Harlem Sq. Club:

i don't know if this is what i have, if so it is SMOKIN! he's talking a good bit between songs on mine. i could never live without that shit.

Clif
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 1:44 am

Hound Dog Taylor never recorded for Chess!

All his shit is on Alligator except some early ass single that I think he just pressed up and sold at shows. Plus, there are some other boots of his out there, like a Boston show and shit.

scumpuke
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 2:06 am

yeah! forget chess!!
scumpuke
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 2:06 am

hey clif do you have any boots?
Helen Wheels
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 2:19 am

Don Ho, Live in Hawaii. Some time ago, I'd expect.
creepydrifter
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 3:31 am

i've got a british(bootleg?) of hounddog taylor live at florence's. it's pretty good.
Clif
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 4:19 am

Yeah, I got a show from Cambridge in '72 called Live at Joe's Place that's pretty good. I could swing you a copy?

rockstargod@hotmail.com

Clif
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 4:20 am

Hey creepy- wanna swap copies? Florence for Joes?
gdaniels
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 4:43 am

not mentioned yet (i don't think) --

jesus lizard - show
aretha - live at fillmore west

too many to mention:
john lee hooker, lightnin hopkins, sonny terry/brownie mcghee

ledisquairebazookajoe
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 5:11 am

There's a great Boogie Down Productions live cd, I don't know what it's called.
SonicG
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 8:27 am

Oh, I was gonna mention JL's "Show"...
Devil Dogs "No Requests Tonight" is purty obvious, huh?
...I guess all stand up comedic stuff is live but I've had Bill Hicks on my mind lately, that one recorded in England. Insults the Brits with a touch more wit than J. Thunders on DTK Live at the Speakeasy...
moody prick
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 11:37 am

moody prick
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 11:47 am

...well, fuck that - who cares, anyway.

Clif posted 12-10-2003 05:44 PM CT (US)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hound Dog Taylor never recorded for Chess!
All his shit is on Alligator except some early ass single that I think he just pressed up and sold at shows. Plus, there are some other boots of his out there, like a Boston show and shit.

-maybe didn't "record for" but early shit (maybe a side, ie. 5-6 songs) did show up on one of those later UK/pre Sugarhill Chess comps.

moody prick
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 12:02 pm

moody prick
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 12:07 pm

who cares? I do!
...that's the joint.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 12:59 pm

Oh excuse me....Hound Dog Taylor didn't record for Chess....and the name of that ZZ Top album wasn't 'Tequila Moon' is was Tajas...and the name of that Dead Moon album wasn't Live from Hamburg, it was Hard Wired in Lugenburao....And it's not 'Big Joe Williamson' it's Big Joe Williams.

Maybe I should go put my record collection in alphabetical order....

Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 1:07 pm

I guess I should have known it was an Alligator production by the Dolby C!
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 1:10 pm

So many grave rocknroll crimes I have committed in the name of rock! I play custom guitars too.
journeyfan007
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 1:12 pm

"Hard-Wired in Ljubljana" is good. "Live Evil" is about 20 times better, though (if you can find it).
trash
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 2:05 pm

nobody agreed with me on Crime? dude.. weird.

also: Screamers - In A Better World

journeyfan007
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 2:10 pm

"Hate Us or Love Us..." is great, but shit, it's hard to do very often.
tommysolution
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 3:41 pm

Ramones-It's Alive
mika de sica
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 4:37 pm

yeah, jerry lee lewis:live at the starclub and johnny cash:live at san quentin

roky erickson:casting the runes
cramps: smell of female

5thAve
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 6:00 pm

Cramps Rockinandreelininauklandnewzealand
Jakey Stiff
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 7:17 pm

That screamers 2 disc is incred.

the BDP live album is Hardcore Worldwide.

Belch.

trip maker
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 7:44 pm

Alice Cooper "The Freak Out Song" bootleg. It goes by various names and includes two country-pop ditties that aren't even the Alice Cooper band. I got mine at a used cd store for 3.99.
moody prick
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 7:54 pm

Those two "country-pop ditties" are the Alice Cooper band behind Gene Vincent! (Toronto Rock n Roll Revival, September 1969)
creepydrifter
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 8:29 pm

"tejas" is probably THE best zz top record, to me anyway.
damn, i forgot all about jesus lizards "show".
yeah, clif, i'll tape a copy of that hounddog for you.
moody prick traded me a copy of this live beasts of bourbon that is AWESOME. where/when was that recorded???
moody prick
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 9:58 pm

Beasts of Bourbon? That was probably the live shit on "From The Belly of the Beast" Ferocious. Once again, LET'S GET FUNKY!
moody prick
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 10:00 pm

...recorded 1991,1992.
Chris O
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 10:17 pm

Johnny Thunders- Stations of the Cross (version w/ Just because I'm White, not ROIR)
somaparty
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 11:04 pm

my vote: Pussy Galore - "Live in the Red"
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 11, 2003 11:55 pm

I believe "Live From Hamburg" is the name of Moterhead's classic live album.
Uncle Dan
Posted: Dec 12, 2003 2:28 am

In terms of stuff that hasn't already been mentioned, off the top of my head:

Othar Turner--Everybody Hollerin' Goat
Ted Nugent--Double Live Gonzo
Ted Nugent--Intensities In Ten Cities
13th Floor Elevators--Out Of Focus
Motorhead--No Sleep Til Hammersmith
Motorhead--No Sleep At All
Motorhead--Everything Louder Than...
W.A.S.P.--Live...In The Raw
Slayer--Decade Of Agression
Turbonegro--Darkness Forever
Blues Explosion--Controversial...
Black Sabbath bootleg (from the Dehumanizer tour, when they got Rob Halford to front for two dates after Dio left and before Ozzy returned)

Honorable mention:
the live stuff off that Gun Club--Early Warning 2CD

Jack Penetrator
Posted: Dec 12, 2003 2:50 am

TALKIN' bout...the..MIdNITE SHIIIITTT!!...The Rolling Stones "Get Yer Ya-yas OUT!!"..."Paint it BLACK!!..You DEVIL!!"...
Quinn
Posted: Dec 12, 2003 2:50 am

Rick Deringer Live in Youngstown, OH.
Uncle Dan
Posted: Dec 12, 2003 7:40 am

Oops, forgot a few major ones:

Iron Maiden--Live After Death
Iron Maiden--Rock In Rio
Candlemass--Live

joe danger
Posted: Dec 12, 2003 11:36 am

honerable mention- misfits evil live
journeyfan007
Posted: Dec 12, 2003 5:23 pm

No Sleep Till Hammersmith
schmatt
Posted: Dec 12, 2003 9:48 pm

Umm, I just wanted to say that the live Gun Club mentioned above as an honorable mention, ain't so good, if we're talking about the same 2CD the thing with the Jeffey Lee Pierce solo stuff, it sounds like a totally drugged out white guy who wants to have soul and guts, but just doesn't . I think sans several obvious smoking studio cuts like Sex Beat and Poison Ivy, Jeffrey Lee Pierce is overrated as a general statement. I have a feeling this criticism may not go over very well.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 12, 2003 11:00 pm

The Dictators live album on ROIR...best version of Loyola ever.
Uncle Dan
Posted: Dec 13, 2003 12:28 am

Nah, no problem--to each their own. I just personally love the Gun Club stuff.
moody prick
Posted: Dec 13, 2003 12:51 am

I was enough of a Gun Club fan that after Jeffrey Lee died it just didn't seem right to take down this giant size Miami tour poster from my wall-it's still there. But, I don't think they were served well by the live releases. They were really uneven in performance, but I saw way better shows than were documented. A killer version of Little Richard's Heeby Jeebies with Jim Duckworth on guitar for instance. And those shows where he started playing trumpet and dabbling in Free Jazz with Kid Congo reached some heights not evident on that one record with Love Supreme (I'm certain they even tackled Ascension) And hell, by the end he had turned into a decent guitar player, but didn't have much of a band behind him (sorry, I wasn't much of a fan of Romi)
authentic metal face
Posted: Dec 14, 2003 4:01 am

MANGINA-FULL BLOWN AIDS live at the Howlin' Wolf
FLIPPER-live at CBGB's 1983
Heuy Lewis-don't know the name of it but it's good....lot's of soul covers
mika de sica
Posted: Dec 15, 2003 12:47 pm

Fake live...

G.G.Allin: Hated In The Nation

somaparty
Posted: Dec 15, 2003 5:09 pm

Ornette Coleman Trio - Live at the Golden Circle, Stockholm. Vol. 2
journeyfan007
Posted: Dec 15, 2003 5:10 pm

Clapton Unplugged
Human Garbage Disposal
Posted: Dec 18, 2003 12:34 am

That Flippa live tape is called "Blow n' Chunks",and it is pretty damn great!

This may not be the best live LP,but i always liked "The Horrible Truth About Mission Of Burma" ... that has the best version of "Peking Spring" ever recorded!

"1970"(their version on the LP) don't sound as good nowadays,though.

Jakey Stiff
Posted: Dec 18, 2003 8:33 pm

My man put a Huey Lewis album amongst his favorite live recordings, it has "great soul covers".
razor a go go
Posted: Dec 18, 2003 8:56 pm

i am listening to a real good Neil Diamond live one right now, i don't have a whole lot of live albums though, to say which one is best.
journeyfan007
Posted: Dec 18, 2003 8:58 pm

The last track ("Rumble...") on "Wolf Rock" might be the best live recording of all time.
Uncle Dan
Posted: Dec 19, 2003 12:15 am

Don't know if this was posted somewhere earlier, but:

Electric Prunes--Stockholm 67 (the gatefold digipak [bootleg?] version that includes them tuning up before "You Never Had It Better", not the Birdman issue that's missing that little opening part)

Andy Kaufman
Posted: Dec 19, 2003 10:24 am

The Real Kids "Grown Up Wrong" without a doubt. The second side especially just blows away everything they've ever committed to tape in the studio.
Johnny Smash
Posted: Dec 19, 2003 5:46 pm

Otis Redding/Hendrix (Live at the Monterey Pop Festival)
journeyfan007
Posted: Dec 19, 2003 6:12 pm

I like the Stones' "Got Live If You Want It" simply for the fact that they're so obviously jacked on uppers throughout it. Moreso than usual. The version of "Under My Thumb" is FRANTIC! As far as worst live albums go, I'll put "No Security" at the top of the list. A Dave Matthews duet? Come on, y'all!
creepydrifter
Posted: Dec 19, 2003 11:15 pm

"on the 203rd..independence day..at the rat..."
LE PESTE!
Human Garbage Disposal
Posted: Dec 20, 2003 2:36 am

Here's 2 more live LP's worth trackin' down:

Butthole Surfers "Live PCPPEP"- the first record i ever heard by 'em,live in San Antone;much better than just about anything they did after "Locust Abortion Technician"!

"Western Front" LP- some great live stuff from D.O.A.,Lewd,Warzone (NOT the SxE one!),Woundz,Offs,and some priceless Flipper stuff where the band plays over some chump's political speechin' and then a fight breaks out!

"Speed Trials" LP- the best of Early/Mid 80s New York art spazz hell caught live on record. Includes unintelligible Beastie Boys HC track,Live Skull,and a great Swans song that sounds like Godzilla!

Human Garbage Disposal
Posted: Dec 20, 2003 2:38 am

Oops,i meant 3! I really can count,i just can't remember to proofread before i post sometimes...
authentic metal face
Posted: Dec 20, 2003 3:03 am

human garbage disposal.......i was refering to the overground records release (FLIPPER-LIVE at cbgb's) one long annoyingly brilliant track.

jakey stiff........you said "great" i said "lots" of soul covers and yes it is the best thing anyone has brought to a construction site i've been on in a long time. my bottom wiggled all day long ya'eard me

Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 20, 2003 7:20 pm

Mott The Hooples Live album is pretty funny in a bad/good kind of way.....like the first 15 minutes is nothing but some asshole talking about how good they are...and then they invite David Bowie out to introduce the band (I think they might have been opening for him) and then, Bowie just says that he cowrote a song with them and they're cool guys and whatever...and then finaly they start the fuckin music...and half of them drag on.....It's great...what sucks is that on the CD version, all the talk and the first song are the same damn track! I don't know if I ever heard it.
moody prick
Posted: Dec 20, 2003 7:54 pm

Slade-Alive
Tim Hardin-3/Live in Concert
Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers-D.T.K. Live At The Speakeasy
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 20, 2003 8:10 pm

I liked that Johnny Thunders live album that came out on Munster just like 4 years ago better...it was a comp of various live stuff, mostly in France and Europe....like it was basically his entire acoustic set taken from some place and then his electric stuff....granted his post Heartbreakers electric can be hokey at times...I like it more I think...only heard the one you're talking about a couple times thow.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 20, 2003 8:17 pm

When I was a kid I liked The Heartbreakers...but now I seriously just like Johnny's softer stuff....Like my favorit Thunders album is Hurt Me...that I think also came out on Munster, it was like mostly just him although I think Sylvain played some stuff..he produced it...I don't know if that was put out when Thunders was alive or not, I think it might have been what was left over from that album him and Sylvain did, but it's fuckin great when your stoned...I like ever song on it, especially the one with the girls voice on it, I think called Girls Like You......you get all the subtlety of Johnny's style.
moody prick
Posted: Dec 20, 2003 9:00 pm

sure, I dig some of Johnny's acoustic shit, but the early live shows are great fun. In JT's world the band heckles the audience! "geddit, geddit ya limeys" Which would be embarassing (ie. the later shows) if he couldn't back it up - but that DTK record catches the Heartbreakers burning through the best of the LAMF set.
joe danger
Posted: Dec 21, 2003 3:21 am

you fools!!!!!
jimi hendrix- band of gypsys
the who- live at leeds.
pull your garage rock heads out of your garage rock asses and come to terms with rock and roll.

it'll do you good.

moody prick
Posted: Dec 21, 2003 8:10 am

GRAND FUNK - LIVE ALBUM
Clif
Posted: Dec 21, 2003 6:08 pm

Munster put out a picture disc live Johnny Thunders Lp called "Panic on the Strip" which totally smokes.

It's solo. Hell, might even be from about '84. Johnny's back-up band is Jerry Nolan, Arthur Kane, and Billy Someone on gueeetar.

It has a totally smokin' version of Pills on it.

journeyfan007
Posted: Dec 21, 2003 8:58 pm

That Heartbreakers "Live at Mother's" disc shouldn't be left out, either. The one where Richard Hell forgets how to play his bass? That's pretty great.
The FlyrodsRIP
Posted: Dec 22, 2003 10:41 pm

CHANTS R&B
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 22, 2003 10:46 pm

That DVD that got put out a couple years ago, has Thunders in France getting so drunk that he couldn't stand up by the end of the set, and he landed flat on his face fracturing his nose for the umpteenth time, in a yellow tuxedo and ruffled tuxedo shirt.....oh the world of self abuse.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 22, 2003 10:54 pm

I guess that DTK Heartbreakers live album is considered the only worthwhile thing they ever did...but I don't care, I'm not a huge fan anymore....I like the version of My Baby Went MIA on Hurt Me.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 22, 2003 10:56 pm

Chinese Rocks on that DTK album is the best version ever...esepecially with Thunders fuckin retarded intro riff...sounds dark don't it...if you play it, it's just so stupid.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 22, 2003 11:01 pm

I mean the intro to Born to Lose...same intro he always plays...it's fuckin retarded.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 22, 2003 11:27 pm

I like how you can tell what period a piece of Johnny Thunders music is from, based on the size of his schnozz......I don't think I've ever realy admired him, as much as I just identified with him...and that's realy the point. I mean that's what Saints are all about, look at what I endured, If I did this you can carry your shitty cross, it's alright....The fact that he od'd on methadone is significant too...I mean shit, odin the medicine you take to get clean....that's cool.
scumpuke
Posted: Dec 23, 2003 5:06 am

joe danger posted 12-20-2003 07:21 PM CT (US)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
you fools!!!!!
the who- live at leeds.
pull your garage rock heads out of your garage rock asses and come to terms with rock and roll.
it'll do you good.

yeah sure, live at leads is good but how many times a day does a guy have to hear it, and from how many people who don't know their head from their ass too. it's enough to keep a guy from posting it in a best live album discussion thread.

schmatt
Posted: Dec 23, 2003 6:09 am

yeah, yeah- ODing is cool, especially on methadone. Really good point.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 23, 2003 6:31 pm

It's just cool because he was trying to clean up and he just decided that if he couldn't do heroin, maybe he didn't want to live anymore...

Or rather, maybe the methadone buzz just wasn't good enough, so he kept upping it trying to find peace...I think that might have been a common occurance back when they'd prescribe that shit....

It's just a suiting way for him to go out, although alot of people would disagree.

journeyfan007
Posted: Dec 23, 2003 6:38 pm

I thought he OD'd on methadone because those creeps he was hangin' with at the hotel had slipped him too much LSD or something and he was trying to calm down. God, I don't know. I think that would probably not be the way anyone would choose to go. Have you ever stubbed your toe on acid? Imagine feeling your heart stop.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 23, 2003 7:47 pm

I hear that Methadone is the shittiest thing you can od on....it's a shitty buzz, and it's a shitty od....
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 23, 2003 7:52 pm

Every experience I've ever had on acid has been horrible...becuase I took it at the spur of the moment, and always wound up in some fucked up situation, or took to much, and would just be up for two nights straight.

I have had some desent experiences on shrooms thow...probbably the best was onetime I took a buch of shrooms and was drinking a 40 on my fire escape...and I caught a mesquito biting the top of my hand, and killed it right when it was biting me....anyway I think it had it's stinger stuck in me, becuase it itched real bad...and I guess I kept itching it, because my hand kept swelling up....and there was a party at my house that night, and all these girls were telling me I had to go to the hospital, because my hand looked like a cabbage patch kids hand....and I told them I couldn't because I was on shrooms.....so after the party the swelling went down a little, and I played galactica, or metroid, or space invaders or something, on the atari all night long with some people...and that's the best game when you're on shrooms......The End.

Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 23, 2003 7:56 pm

Also I had the best shroom hookup, that's the main benefit of living in Kentucky, I don't think anybody ever had better drug hookups...anyway they were clinically grown shrooms out of Arizona, and they used to go down thier and get them by the garbage bag full, and every one said that they were the flakiest and most golden shrooms they've ever had, and I use to eat them raw all the time they were so clean and wholesomely good.
Luke Batarang
Posted: Jan 1, 2004 2:45 pm

JOHNNY THUNDERS and the HEARTBREAKERS' D.T.K. Live at the Speakeasy 1977 with Thunders challenging the audience "Hey you fuckin' kids dance? What the fuck are you doin' here? You can't the fuckin' just stayin' around and look funny!" ... "If you don't like it man why don't you just go home? You fuckin' don't make any noise! Fuckin' boring the shit out me! Should have come to Birmingham, ain't no how to rock over there too you fuckin' boring motherfuckers!"
Oh and the music's awesome too!!!
moody prick
Posted: Jan 1, 2004 7:23 pm

THAT's the one.

"I hope you fuckin' kids got enuff money ta get drunk cuz you're fuckin' boring"

queenothetwist
Posted: Jan 1, 2004 8:37 pm

Don't forget the bit about "the Limeys"
lollipop blackout
Posted: Jan 2, 2004 11:53 pm

Television! "The Blow Up!"
"Germicide!" (For the audience/performer interactions, i.e.: Bobby Pyn: "Does somebody want to come up here and take my place?" Heckler: Nobody could take YOUR place!" Bobby Pyn: "You're right!"
Lou Reed "Take No Prisoners" for sure. When it's on, it's better than the originals (like "Coney Island Baby) and when it's off, it's still fun hearing Lou babble nonsensically, amphetimineiacaly about each and every line in "Sweet Jane" or "Walk on the Wild Side."
"Live at Leeds" the riddims! the riddims!
lollipop blackout
Posted: Jan 3, 2004 1:13 pm

Oh wait! There's the soon-to-be classic "Cunt Puppet: Live in Aroma Park, IL @ the Sackoshit House." I saw it, and then I heard it burned onto the convenient compact disk format months later, and it's the best of both worlds. Nannie nannie boo boo indeed.
Also..."Land Speed Record" by Husker Du is tons of fun..."Gilligan's Island"...oh, and "The Horrible Truth About Burma."
chriscrunch
Posted: Jan 3, 2004 9:31 pm

just wanted to say that thanks to this thread, i picked up a copy of "beware of the dog" and i don't know how i lived without owning this. let's get funky!
Goubler
Posted: Jan 4, 2004 1:42 am

Just picked up the LIVE AT THE BIG D JAMBOREE 2cd..you gotta get this thing;the tracks of Carl Perkins and Gene Vincent alone are worth the price...playin' to what sounds like an army of hopped-up teen girls,from the very same wreslin' ring i used to watch the VonErichs do their thing before they all killed themselves.
ahhhh, why i'm i trying to ejuamakate you kids, anyway; this whole GARAGE RAWKNROLL thing is just a pretense for you to "sow your oats" till you throw yourselves down the same marriage/family/mortgage rathole that your hero greg cartwright(perfect last name, conciderin' he's as fat as Hoss these days)did...don't say i didnt warn you.
schmatt
Posted: Jan 4, 2004 11:58 pm

Thanks for the ejaculation, uhmm. I mean , education. Instead of feeling educated by you, I feel like all of us readers/posters on Goners have to put up with your bitter cry baby posts, and obsessive ranting. Have no idea who you are in "real" life, and don't care-I've thought you sucked for a long time, probably 15 whining posts ago, but I don't address it everytime I have a chance. In fact, this will probably be the only time I even bother. Hey, Goubler, fuck off, you sound like a fucking whining 13 year old, cooler-than-thou, hipper-than -thou, preaching-from-the-mount, sermonizing loser. And being a fan of the Von Erichs is great, I'm glad for you. Kerry Von Erich was one of my favorites,too. Fuck off,ascerbic little man, oh I allready said that.
Goubler
Posted: Jan 5, 2004 12:45 am

"..you suck dude!!! you are a fag!!"...all kiddin' aside, i think my post hit a nerve with you...otherwise why would you even be bringing me up? 10 years from now, when you're a al bundy-styled worker drone, reminising about your "rock n roll days" while your shrew wife is screaming at you and you're trying to watch ESPN over your beergut, remember who warned you, sweetcheeks.
scumpuke
Posted: Jan 5, 2004 3:31 am

what the hell is wrong with this guy?
rockandrollnigger
Posted: Jan 5, 2004 10:24 pm

fear live for the record ramones its alive queenlivekillers jimi hendrix bbc
queenothetwist
Posted: Jan 5, 2004 10:58 pm

Hey, ESPN and domestication are indeed the low points of humanity, but just because you make babies and have a mortgage doesn't mean you've succumbed to mediocrity. I've spawned two and have no trouble juggling being in bands, being usually drunk and being a really good stay-at-home mom. Chris Martel can attest to my having kids; one spilled coffee on my keyboard and fucked up my spacebar (Thanks again for that cut-and-paste space tip).

I don't know if I really wanted to argue this point with Goubler ('cause why would anyone bother arguing with a fucking Wall of "Wah") or am just showing off, but as those kooky college kids say: "Whatev"

fierydrunk
Posted: Jan 6, 2004 12:17 am

Tread lightly. While domesticity may equal "mediocrity", ESPN definitely does NOT. Well, not every hour anyway. Just because you don't understand/don't like sports does not mediocrity make.
Goubler
Posted: Jan 6, 2004 12:31 am

"Queen", the fact that you think that your breeding AND being in a band(like we need another one) is supposed to impress me, tells me you "succumbed to mediocrity" along time ago. Say, why don't you go on Oprah and tell her audience of mouth-breathers how "empowered" you feel?
eric o
Posted: Jan 6, 2004 12:32 am

yeah. i don't care for the sport fan mentality most of the time, and espn does foster that "all sports all the time" thinking, but man they pump out quality writing/editing on insanely tough deadlines all day long. sportscenter makes the news look stupid AND silly at the same time. they actually write at a pretty high level, and they cover so much ground so fast, they demand attention from the viewer. it's definitely not mediocre. it may not be your thing, but they do a great job at what they do.
Goubler
Posted: Jan 6, 2004 12:43 am

I unplugged my TV about a month ago...i figured i was only watching it for Simpsons reruns, and there's only so many times i need to see "the land of chocolate".
queenothetwist
Posted: Jan 6, 2004 1:26 am

Honestly, Wall of Wah, it's hard to succumb to mediocrity when it would be more honest to say that I aspire to it. I'm not worried about recalling the good old days,though. I'm still planning them. But you got one thing right - I'm a total nagging shrew.

Eric- Two Things;
1. I will allow that many people find SportsCenter amusing. I dont have cable so I'll never know for sure, but even if I did I'm too much of an asshole to admit being wrong.
2. Do you think D'Lana would mind if I give Martel pictures of her tits and other snapshots relating hot doggitry? Since I have no way of contacting her I thought that you could give me permission, then if she got her shorts in a bunch it'd be your fault. I don't like it when pretty girls are angry with me.

eric o
Posted: Jan 6, 2004 5:18 am

tv's lame. i don't have cable either. i watch it in bars while i drink to watch bball highlights, though.

email dlana at ask@moonshineshades.com

Jakey Stiff
Posted: Jan 6, 2004 8:29 pm

Where it not for my pirated cable i doubt i'd pay for it, however the monday night COPS marathon on FX cannot be denied.
Chris O
Posted: Jan 6, 2004 9:30 pm

Simpsons on DVD has rendered TV worthless.
rockandrollnigger
Posted: Jan 6, 2004 9:59 pm

i like that show cheaters funny!
fierydrunk
Posted: Jan 6, 2004 10:28 pm

Cheaters was indeed a highlight. TV is mostly lame but lemme tell ya, it has its moments, esp. when having to hole up in the winter in places like Portland. Please no preaching on how I need to read more or enjoy the outside world...there is nothing more annoying than virulent anti-TV people, well perhaps virulent garage rockers with misdirected hatred.
Jakey Stiff
Posted: Jan 6, 2004 11:54 pm

How could i forget Cheaters? It was priceless when Mr.Greico got stabbed by that surly redneck last season.
5thAve
Posted: Jan 7, 2004 12:13 am

I got a Who bootleg from Fillmore East in '68, the day Martin Luther King got shot. It's hot--better than Live at Leeds. They do "Tatoo" & "Little Billy". It rocks--it rates!
ledisquairebazookajoe
Posted: Jan 7, 2004 12:28 am

chris 0 mumbled: Simpsons on DVD has rendered TV worthless.

what are you gonna watch it on dumbass? your fucking microwave? i'm makin' and sending your cd very soon!

Chris O
Posted: Jan 7, 2004 2:01 am

you know what i meant...anyway i get like 4 channels so the microwave generally does looks better! TV is now basically a DVD player (VCR is broken) only, which is fine. Also, DVD has made porn somehow even more enjoyable.

ledisquairebazookajoe
Posted: Jan 7, 2004 2:34 am

Krystal Klear Kunny!
Argh
Posted: Jan 7, 2004 9:27 am

wait a second....Wham! doesn't HAVE a live album... at least I hope they don't. I thought my collection was complete.
eric o
Posted: Jan 7, 2004 10:19 am

there's some live cdrs floating around that are MUCH better quality than the old traded cassettes that we used to have to live with.. you've never heard "live in tubingen"? pretty good, but damn the fidelity is crap. good performance, though. i can hook you up, norah.
guy
Posted: Jan 7, 2004 3:24 pm

The Suicide live in Belgium one. Lots of abuse, people chanting 'Elvis' in a French accent, and then they steal the mic and refuse to return it. And some people say Suicide isn't rock and roll...
Jakey Stiff
Posted: Jan 7, 2004 6:54 pm

Who the fuck disputes that Suicide isn't rock? Two men, a synth and a stone age drum machine making hideous racket is the essense of le'rock!
SAMBEAUX
Posted: Jan 7, 2004 7:38 pm

my ultimate favorite live recording:
Crime - San Francisco's Doomed vol.2 (brilliant invocation/origination(?) of the "Leonard, Pt. 6" tradition of inventing spurious prequels) on Solarlodge of France.
Almost a complete discography of all their songs, what most of us have come to love as the Crime sound...

also good,
is this Sweet live cd from the 76? that I have. It's not listed on allmusic and I can't remember the name but it has this really horrible orange and red tudor pattern, some cheesey no-perspective knight drawings and band photos on the cover. You can hear the sound of the mothers clapping their hands over their daughters' ears during "If we don't fuck you then someone else will." No banter.

trash
Posted: Jan 7, 2004 8:48 pm

finally someone agrees with me on Crime.
Argh
Posted: Jan 7, 2004 8:56 pm

God, thank you, Eric. I couldn't sleep all last night, worrying about not having that record, and wondering what it sounded like. I can totally burn you a DVD of my Erasure WILD! Live in 1989 video. It's not just one show, but it's the ENTIRE WILD! tour!
PCPeePee
Posted: Jan 7, 2004 10:02 pm

oh wow man
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Jan 7, 2004 10:07 pm

I'm told that I have a kid...Al Bundy didn't watch ESPN because he didn't have cable...he watched Psycho Dad.
Goubler
Posted: Jan 9, 2004 11:58 pm

"Pussy Galore live in new orleans '86"...you can hear me and caporino bait spencer, and the human garbage disposal gives directions to his mom's house.
I haven't listened to it in awhile, but the Trashmen "live bird 65-67" has some highlights, like when they're playing at the girl's reform school.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Jan 10, 2004 5:38 pm

In the last Jeff Dahl news letter he listed his top 5 alltime favorite live albums, and he has some good ones not mentioned hear.

The only one that comes to my mind off hand thow, is the Hanoi Rocks live album.

Uncle Dan
Posted: Jan 10, 2004 8:44 pm

The Hanoi Rocks live album does indeed rule! I think they sound an awful lot like the early Nomads stuff on that disc. On a side note, the new Hanoi Rocks studio album is pretty effin' cool, too.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Jan 12, 2004 8:34 am

I believe it! Jeff Dahl knows his shit.

Here's his top 5 live albums:

1. Get Your Ya Yas Out -Rolling Stones

2. Metallic Zero -The Stooges

3. The Turning Point -John Mayall

4. Raunch 'n' Roll -Black Oak Arkansas
(I realy want to hear this if anybody's got it)

5. All Those Wasted Years -Hanoi Rocks

Jeff Dahl is the coolest.

Here's my top 5 favorite Dahl albums:

1. All Trashed Up
2. Heart Full of Snot
3. Scratch Up Some Action
4. Power Trip
5. His first 7 inch.

(I also realy realy like Love DTK even thow it's pretty hair...I still haven't heard the one he did with Teengenerate.....and I'm not a big fan of any of the shit he did with Poison Idea)

Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Jan 12, 2004 8:36 am

His first 7 inch got my vote based on shear bizarrness...it's not technically an album...shit.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Jan 12, 2004 9:56 am

I'm sorry I got a correction to make..It's Wicked that's so damn hair. And I'd actually like to push it up too the number 2 spot...It's one of my favorites of all time...I think maybe because it's so damn hair. I wrecked my second car to that album.
ledisquairebazookajoe
Posted: Jan 13, 2004 4:01 am

Metallic Zero?
Jakey Stiff
Posted: Jan 13, 2004 4:02 am

maybe some cleverly cobbled bootleg.
dutch hercules
Posted: Jan 13, 2004 1:55 pm

Queen Live killers
The Who-live at The isle of White fesival-DVD
jonhatesyou
Posted: Jan 13, 2004 3:56 pm

Hey, does the Isle If Wight DVD have any bonus footage? I've only seen it on VHS and I thought that fuckin' rocked. Great Keith footage.
jonhatesyou
Posted: Jan 13, 2004 3:56 pm

Hey, does the Isle If Wight DVD have any bonus footage? I've only seen it on VHS and I thought that fuckin' rocked. Great Keith footage.
Goubler
Posted: Jan 14, 2004 12:08 am

how did i go this long without mentioning VU LIVE AT MAX'S, if only for the thrill of hearing Jim Carroll down Tuinals?..and there's BLITZCRIEG 76..the Ramone's first show in boston, where you can hear the Real Kids getting in fistfights 'tween songs.
there ya go, Schmatt..some more records to watch espn to...dont say i never helped!!
supertupelo
Posted: Jan 17, 2004 1:01 am

anything by THE MENTORS
dutch hercules
Posted: Jan 18, 2004 10:35 am

No.. i doesnt have anythin bonus on it unfortunately.. its just The Who claiming their ground and play slot to the fullest! Pete basically ruled the whole set, and you can see some of the dirty Euro hippies of 1970 actually diggin it! But yea Keith Moon... i cant go on (sobb sobb) there is no other. Such a spazz drunk, they had to duct tape his head phones onto his head when he played during recordings.
Ramonesgirl21
Posted: Jan 21, 2004 10:55 am

Devo- Now It Can Be Told
(I had to put that one on here for analog loyalist-he loves them)
analog loyalist
Posted: Jan 21, 2004 7:57 pm

devo- the mongoloid years
SAMBEAUX
Posted: Jan 21, 2004 8:13 pm

Man, that new Swiffer commercial feat. "Whip It," ("Swiff It") is fucking embarrasing.
schmatt
Posted: Jan 22, 2004 7:50 am

hey peckerwood...errr I mean Goubler I all ready mentioned the VU LIve at Max's Kansas City. A black girl rapper type I knew in high school sold me that tape at The Record Bar in the Mall for the price of a casette single, like two fifty and I've had it for like 13 years, it's great. But thanks for edumacating me again.
Ramonesgirl21
Posted: Jan 22, 2004 8:59 am

Devo was a good band but Mark Mothersbaugh has no problem doing whatever he needs to do to make money. He's said he puts subliminal messages in all his jingles. For his sake I hope he does.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Jan 22, 2004 10:01 pm

quote:
Man, that new Swiffer commercial feat. "Whip It," ("Swiff It") is fucking embarrasing

Look at it this way, if you ever bop a housewife maybe now she'll let you listen to Devo while your doing it.

Or if you're married maybe now she'll let you listen to Devo while your doing it.

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®