Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / 1988 DONRUSS baseball cards.
Posted: Mar 26, 2007 11:47 pm

Worst set of cards ever. Goddamned Dale Murphy Diamond King. BEckett Baseball Card Monthly back in 88 it was worth 50 cent.
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 3:33 am

1988 DONRUSS baseball cards

Worst set of cards ever

One of the worst anyway. The 1983 Donruss were pretty stupid. Dear friend Jayson Brown bought a case (16 boxes of wax packs) at a garage sale for $20 once. Just to build a set & for kicks, I wound up obtaining & opening 4 boxes. Has to be one of the least pleasurable experiences I've ever had opening packs of any cards. Besides that, the stats aren't so great, the are often centered badly & with cut flaws, the photography's bad, the design's stupid, & well, you know...
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 4:16 am

I liked the Topps 1987 woodgrain frames. I got the set.
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 5:12 am

Really? There's some neat stuff in that set (Bonds rookie, early Maddux, Larkin rookie, early Palmiero, etc...), but it's not a very popular set regarding it's design.
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 5:13 am

I beat off on baseball cards......... old milwaukee........ bakon double cheese bergurss.......hamms'
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 5:15 am

I beat off on baseball cards

Good for you. Some people go through life never knowing what really gets them through the night.
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 5:41 am

Really? There's some neat stuff in that set (Bonds rookie, early Maddux, Larkin rookie, early Palmiero, etc...), but it's not a very popular set regarding it's design.

Yeah, but people remember that year! Not long after that was when Upper Deck started pimping their shit for $1.25 per pack, seemed like a fortune back then...Only time I could buy those was when I'd rip off money from my dad!
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 5:47 am

A dear buddy of mine has plenty 'o' cards. Seriously though he won't allow me to beat off on his bb cards...
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 7:19 am

I'll sell my 1989 Topps "Manager" and "Checklist" cards to the highest bidder!
Posted: Mar 31, 2007 7:29 am

1988 Donruss complete set 7.00 - 9.00 dollars

1987 Topps complete set 20.00 - 45.00 dollars

i got the 1987 topps set with the wood grain frame from my parents as a present for babysitting my sister all that summer. i think they paid 20 bucks for it back then, which, if you are selling it for forty now you're still not that far ahead. but i'll never get rid of them for that reason, they were a gift from them. i quit collecting baseball and football cards soon after that because i could buy a pack of smokes for less than two packs of baseball cards and i knew exactly what i was getting in the pack of smokes.
Posted: Mar 31, 2007 9:24 am

Seriously, it's all about the circle cards that came in the bottom of King B Beef Jerky Stuff. They didn't have the MLBPA or NFLPA approval so they had to airbrush the logos on the hats. Same with Tombstone pizza cards, 7 Up cards, cards from cops which were a fucking scam cause you actually had to talk to a cop to get one. Some departments actually made cards with cops on them...I have some that have pigs with milk moustasches.

1989 Upper Deck was a nice series anyway.
Posted: Mar 31, 2007 1:29 pm

my brother got one from a cop in indiana. they got their car searched by a doggie, and the doggie had a trading card! its name was Sgt. Barko
Posted: Apr 1, 2007 5:02 am

88 donruss was great. that was right before baseball cards got all slick and glossy and expensive.

it's hilarious how worthless baseball cards are. when I collected them I honestly thought they'd be worth something by now, that was stupid of me.
Posted: Apr 1, 2007 7:27 am

i knew a kid who would autograph his baseball cards and try to sell them to everybody. rick floyd. i can't believe i even remembered that shit.
Posted: Apr 1, 2007 11:56 am

it's hilarious how worthless baseball cards are. when I collected them I honestly thought they'd be worth something by now, that was stupid of me.

Damn, I *KNOW*. When I was a teen I thought I'd struck a GOLDMINE with those Upper Deck cards and their enticeing holograms....whole shoebox of shit collecting dust in my closet....
Posted: Apr 1, 2007 1:54 pm | Edited by: jerryd

I used to collect the hell out of baseball cards( Topps) but got out of it in my very early teens. I have about a shoebox worth of selected cards left and thats it. I'm not even sure what happened to all the full sets I had. My sister recently called and said she had some cards I gave my nephew a while ago and asked if I wanted them back. Two Daryl Strawberry rookie cards, Pete Rose rookie card and a few others. I'm sure I'll just stick them in the attic when I get them.

By the way, saw the Indians and the Cardinals play last night. Was a great game with the Cardinals winning, 5-1. Pujols hit a home run and the place went nuts.
Posted: Apr 2, 2007 2:13 am

What sucks more is that if you want to even try to sell them you have to get them graded by some professional grading place.
Posted: Apr 2, 2007 2:13 am

i got the 1987 topps set with the wood grain frame from my parents

Yeah, I got that 87 Topps set too.. At least it's got rookie for Mark McGuire and Matt Nokes

I've got a nifty '88 Fleer set as well, what's that worth?
hookorcrook
Posted: Apr 2, 2007 8:26 pm

Really? There's some neat stuff in that set (Bonds rookie, early

i believe Bonds rookie was in the 86 updates set. or whatever topps called their traded/updates set.

i love the look of the 87 topps set with the woodgrain. i have that set. most of the 'rated rookies' (actually i think that's a donruss term but whatever topps did with the little gold cup on some of their similar themed guys) turned out the nobodies
Posted: Apr 2, 2007 8:43 pm

you guys have just given me a brilliant way to make a little cash when i'm out on the road.
Posted: Apr 2, 2007 8:45 pm

Become a Lot Lizard?
hookorcrook
Posted: Apr 2, 2007 8:45 pm

good luck with that one. you'd probably make more money recycling your old cards.
Posted: Apr 2, 2007 9:58 pm

Yeah, I got that 87 Topps set too.. At least it\'s got rookie for Mark McGuire and Matt Nokes

I\'ve got a nifty \'88 Fleer set as well, what\'s that worth?

on ebay it has a buy it now for 10 bucks.

i can\'t remember where all i found the prices online. they need an online price guide somewhere for free.
Posted: Apr 2, 2007 11:20 pm | Edited by: Andy Junk

hookorcrook
Posted: Apr 2, 2007 11:53 pm

or the 72 Billy Martin where he's flipping off the camera Moby Grape style.

i always liked this one
http://funnycards.bravehost.com/84hubbard.jpg
hookorcrook
Posted: Apr 2, 2007 11:54 pm

eh i guess it doesn't work. Glenn Hubbard with the snake around his neck...
Posted: Apr 3, 2007 1:21 am

the best baseball card ever is the first three series of garbage pail kids
Posted: Apr 3, 2007 11:04 pm

1988 Donruss complete set 7.00 - 9.00 dollars

If you can find someone who wants one!

I am totally diggin' the 2007 Topps Heritage set. It's based upon the Topps 1958 set.
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 9:29 pm | Edited by: Cezary Trybanski

Posted: Apr 4, 2007 9:32 pm

Posted: Apr 4, 2007 10:24 pm

what about the fuck face card?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®