Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Stuff to do in Savanna, GA?
Posted: Mar 26, 2007 3:27 pm

Nadia and me are going onna road trip down to Savanna during our upcoming Memphis trip, to grokk the old houses and for me to act like big Bob Mitchum in Cape Fear (straw hat, cigar, sweat, but no menace), and I've Googled a few vintage/thrift/rekkid stores, and we're looking to stay at the Thunderbird Inn - but what about kool bars/eateries/other stuff we may have missed?

We're gonna be coming back to Memphis from Savanna via Athens, just cos it's a nice liddle burgh and'll break up the trip - but if anyone's got suggestions for somewhere to stop overnight on the way OUT of Memphis, TO Savanna, we'd be most obliged if you'd dish 'em up!
Posted: Mar 26, 2007 3:45 pm

No suggestions you want, but when you are in athens, order a blenheim and makers at the Manhattan. Best drink ever.
Posted: Mar 26, 2007 4:10 pm

For a slice of real Americana, stop at the Varsity in Athens while you're there.
Posted: Mar 26, 2007 4:14 pm

Varsity in Athens

is there really one in athens? i usually go to the one just off ga tech campus, but there's also one in stone mt, didn't know of one in athens
Posted: Mar 26, 2007 4:43 pm

i hear savannah is an awesome town to get beat up by soldiers, fratboys, crackheads or merchant marines
Posted: Mar 26, 2007 4:54 pm

There was a thread about Savannah a while back.

Here, I dug up the link ...

http://www.goner-records.com/board/index.php?action=vthread&forum=4&to pic=20068&page=0#msg293711

River Street is where most of the army dudes and frat boys hang out. You should be able to avoid them pretty easily.
Posted: Mar 26, 2007 6:51 pm

re: Varsity is there really one in athens? i usually go to the one just off ga tech campus,
Right on the Atlanta Highway( Hi 78) in the middle of town-at least it was still there the last time I was in Athens in 2003.
Posted: Mar 26, 2007 7:10 pm

go to pinky masters. drink till you make friends. hang out with them.
Posted: Mar 26, 2007 7:42 pm

I would be sure to check out The Pirate House, it's this awesome sprawling old inn from th 1700's, complete with secret rooms and original fixtures. They serve impossibly good southern cooking, and have a daily buffet!! There's also a couple of interesting antique shops in that area.

There's also a strip of three bars next to each other that had just about everything I needed, can't remember the names right now, but I'll call my friend down there a little later and find out. One of them was Scottish themed and had a pretty large beer selection, I'm thinking one of the others was called The Rail . . .
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 9:08 am

"i hear savannah is an awesome town to get beat up by soldiers, fratboys, crackheads or merchant marines" - cheers Arman!

Thanks fer the heads-up, folks, anyone know any decent rekkid shops?
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 1:26 pm

Probably none in Savannah. Go to wuxtry Records when you get to Athens, they've got pretty good selections.
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 1:52 pm

While driving through Georgia, you MUST buy some boiled peanuts.
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 2:46 pm

Yeah, there wuz a few goood places in Athens, altho Wuxtry seemed to open and close when it liked! There's even a place in Athens called Top Gear Ltd wot only sells Beatles-centric music gear, including such essentials as reprinted Vox posters from the 60s and Star Club shoulder bags!
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 2:58 pm

What's a Star Club shoulder bag?
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 3:37 pm

boiled peanuts
gross.
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 3:54 pm

The Star Club was a famous venue in Hamburg, where such great as The Monks, The Phantom Brothers, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, and some losers called Der Beatles played... the club was famous for its hideously deformed bouncers, a manager who carried a gas pistol (and weren't afraid to use it), and extensive range of badges, bags and other merchandise, some of which is being remade for Beatles nuts, and sold in Athens, GA...
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 3:57 pm

It'd appear that Top Gear has closed down, cos their website's not working, but I did find a pic of the owner's insane collection of Hofner and Vox gear:

URL
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 3:59 pm

Get the cajun style boiled peanuts . . . They cure your sinus headache!
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 5:26 pm

While in Athens , be sure to leave a guitar pick on this guy's headstone - one of the greatest guitarists ever : http://www.geocities.com/sunsetstrip/frontrow/2547/rwilson.html
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 5:26 pm

There's a soul food place in Athens, I think it's across from the 40 watt that has the world's best pork chops and sweet tea.
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 7:35 pm

Drinking large amounts of alcohol at Pinkie Masters is a sure thing, but if you want the authentic Savannah dive bar experience, go to Jim Collins on Whitaker Street (near State Street, if memory serves). I spent 2 1/2 years at school in Savannah and much of that time at Jim Collins. Last time I was there, it was still 25 cents for two songs (45s!!) on the juke box. It's a tiny ol' drinking hole and the Christmas tree is up year-round.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®