Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Road Trippin'
Posted: Mar 25, 2007 11:21 pm

I'm driving from DC through the south up California to Portland and i wanna be dead by the end of it. in terms of bars, taco stands, record stores, and general hot spots... do people have any tips for a southern road trip? I NEED HELP
Posted: Mar 26, 2007 12:09 am

you coming through new orleans?
Posted: Mar 26, 2007 12:34 am

hell yea new orleans, but i havent been there post-wreck and have otherwise only raged at the dixie tavern. clue me in
Posted: Mar 26, 2007 1:18 am

well, the dixie tavern is gone.

I did go to the saturn bar last night for the first time since before katrina, and it was pretty cool. there are plenty of threads on here about stuff to do in new orleans, do a search.
Posted: Mar 26, 2007 2:50 am

Saispas hipped me to a great place to eat in Charelston. It's called SeeWee and is just out of town on some little highway. She'd have more specific details. Absolutely the best seafood I've ever eaten.
Posted: Mar 26, 2007 3:23 am

Absolutely the best seafood I've ever eaten.

Don't come the raw prawn with me

Are you going through Flagstaff/Vegas?
Posted: Mar 26, 2007 3:30 am

Don't come the raw prawn with me

I'm not sure what this means, but it sounds kind of gross.
Posted: Mar 26, 2007 6:08 am

south carolina- check out folly beach for cool local tomfoolery.

savannah, ga- pinky masters bar.

pensacola- sluggos club/bar

new orleans- market on frenchman st has awsome catfish po boys.

austin- tamale house on airport way before 3pm-$.85 tacos.

luckenbach tx- 1 hr west of austin- worth the stop if you like beer and outlaw country.

carlsbad caverns, nm- 850 ft below the earth. bitchin.

tuscon, az- there's fun to be had on congress at night.

someone else can tell you about cool l.a. stuff.

san luis obispo- if you stop, there's cheap thrills records and the bar least full of douchbags is mccarthy's

san fransisco-gotta eat mission burritos. my fave is cancun on 19th and mission.there's a zillion great bookstores, cafes, and taquerias in the mission.

portland, or- powell's books, mississippi records, forrest park, multnomah falls,
la sirenita burritos, the know bar, and thousands of mediocre rock shows.
Posted: Mar 26, 2007 6:45 am

Chico's Tacos in El Paso....are you man enough?
There's also a Cancun farther down in the mission in San Francisco....right where valencia meets mission....before 30th......and don't forget Tu Lan for epic greasy Vietnamese at 6th and Market in SF....really anywhere...the food is eipc in that town.....and Amoeba records of course....though their vinyl buyer was dropping the ball last time I was there......
Posted: Mar 26, 2007 6:46 am

sorry...the food is "epic"........duuuuude...chaka...
Posted: Mar 26, 2007 7:16 am

if you detour up memphis, holler... there's always somethin.
Posted: Mar 26, 2007 6:37 pm

If you drive up the coast in California you should stop at Pismo Beach. You can pull your car on the beach and camp there. In S.F, Poncho Villa on 16th and Valencia in the mission is my favorite burrito place.
Posted: Mar 26, 2007 6:56 pm

In SF, try the Hard Knox Cafe on 3rd St., just off 22nd, in the Dogpatch neighborhood down by the bay. Unbelieveably great soul food cooked by a Vietnamese guy who grew up in the South and learned to cook from his black godmother. Seriously. I love this place.

Also, the Dogpatch Saloon right on the corner of 3rd and 22nd is a nice neighborhood bar with live jazz on Sundays 5-8. Great local players.
Posted: Mar 26, 2007 7:10 pm

ahhh...right around the corner from hard knox on 22nd is Just for You....one of the best breakfast places in the city...kinda New Orleans style....homemade Beignets and such ...cash only.....but the food is great!
Posted: Mar 26, 2007 7:55 pm

carlsbad caverns, nm- 850 ft below the earth. bitchin.

It's true!! Been waiting for a chance to check that place out again for years! Do not miss if you're anywhere near there!
Posted: Mar 26, 2007 8:02 pm

It's true!!Do not miss

I third this.
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 4:16 am

Troll- my only time in vegas i blew my wad/cool and promised myself never to return... but i dont know a god damn thing about flagstaff, juice me

Is pismo where Point Break takes place? feel like i remember that comin outta johnny utah's mouth

anybody got some ideas for Asheville, NC? Little Rock?

thanks dudes, im ready to rip
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 7:30 am

Chico's Tacos in El Paso....are you man enough?

Yes!

Chico's is a MUST.

I wish I had some right now.
Posted: Mar 29, 2007 1:59 am

My friend Jaime down there had a saying..."El Paso will change your tune.....but Chico's will change your shorts...."
Posted: Mar 29, 2007 2:53 am

if you detour up memphis, holler...

yeah, great music and great food. bbq here is fantastic!
Posted: Mar 29, 2007 2:54 am

thousands of mediocre rock shows.

ouch.
Posted: Mar 30, 2007 3:54 am

are there any good shows goin on in pdx? house shows?
Posted: Mar 30, 2007 4:01 am

When will you be here?
Posted: Mar 30, 2007 2:42 pm

im talkin bout the summer, gonna be couch surfing around those parts as long as it stays fun. i loved portland when i was there for a week a year ago... and it was winter
Posted: Mar 31, 2007 12:28 am

Recommended to me @ Circle Bar by a reliable source.....

Metairie, La.(New Orleans) Guillory's Grocery & Meat Market
Derbigny st. before 5pm m-f 2pm sat

Boudin Balls 0.59cent

Tamale Sandwich Po-Boy $6.50
Posted: Mar 31, 2007 12:54 am

whoa, thanks for the tip!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®