Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / The Outland
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 1, 2003 10:02 pm

I noticed in the Sunday paper 2 weeks ago...that the characters from the Outland got a new comic strips....it's funny as shit, and it's called Opus.

Outland was the best comic strip ever...I'm pretty psyched.

Jakey Stiff
Posted: Dec 1, 2003 10:36 pm

Ahh the ignorance of youth. Outland was nothing more than a watered-down Bloom County which rivals Calvin and Hobbes for best Comic ever.
Andrew Earles
Posted: Dec 1, 2003 11:08 pm

I like it when Calvin pisses on Ford logos.
chriscrunch
Posted: Dec 1, 2003 11:37 pm

yeah, bloom country was great, outland was just okay. does anyone have that flexi-disk thing that came in one of the bloom county books? two hit songs from billy and the boingers!
nickg
Posted: Dec 1, 2003 11:46 pm

quote:
Ahh the ignorance of youth.

so, jakey, i was wondering how old you are?

Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 12:05 am

I just like the cat who walks around in his whitey's and coughs up furballs all the time...and the penguin....did Bloome County have a Penguin? I rest my case.
Argh
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 12:07 am

Yeah, Bloom County was nearly ALL about the penguin who's name was Opus.

I have the Billy and The Boingers flexi.

Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 12:08 am

I'm just glad Opus lives on. I reset my case.
creepydrifter
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 12:09 am

what was the name of the frat boy lawyer in bloom county? i liked that guy.
Doctor Sardonicus

You think your so smart Argh....what I meant to say, was did it have a black kid with a big head?
Doctor Sardonicus

I get those mixed up.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 12:15 am

steve?
otto parts
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 12:22 am

steve dallas.
Argh
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 12:26 am

The black kid with the big head, was it a little girl named Reagan? Or was that the Outland. I can't remember, but I used to have a stuffed animal Opus with a towel and showercap.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 12:27 am

Is that supposed to be erotic? Cuz it is.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 12:28 am

I mean showercaps.
Andrew Earles
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 12:47 am

I was seriously into Bloom County. I learned to draw all of the characters and would make up my own panels. I guess that would be graphic fan fiction...as poorly conceived by a kid. My favorite was Portnoy, the grumpy woodchuck. My half-sister knitted me a travel pillow adorned with her version of Portnoy. The music on the Billy and the Boingers flexi was the long and justifiably forgotten Mucky Pup.
schmatt
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 1:09 am

I don't know that I have it anymore, but I did have the Billy and the Boingers square shaped flexi disk. Can't say I remember how the songs went, but I do remember not thinking they were so great at age 11 or 12. How did they go? They should sound like that Leaving Trains song, Dude is just a cat. Bill the Cat and Opus ruled.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 1:41 am

Here's a interview I found on Onion with Berkely Breathed....alot of people probbably read it already:

http://avclub.theonion.com/avclub3728/avfeature_3728.html

Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 1:43 am

Oh yeah, they don't mention it, but there's been alot of talk about a Bloom County movie coming up soon.

and also, when he talks about writing a comic strip that explores Opus' sexual fantasies: judging from the two Opus' I've read...that seems to be the case.

Jakey Stiff
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 2:02 am

Jakey is 26. I never said i was old. I just basked in the youthful ignorance.

Yes the black kid with the big head is in Bloom County, he's a pre-internet computer obsessive. I always got the feeling that Breathed scrapped Bloom County and started penning Outland because he had blown his artisic wad. The stories in Bloom County were involved and replete with political/social satire. Outland was just mostly retarded.

Haven't seen the new one as of yet however.

Argh
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 3:14 am

Bill The Cat for President. Ack.
chriscrunch
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 3:43 am

I just found this page with mp3s of the billy and the boingers songs from the square flexi disk. i think they were better when i was 13.
chriscrunch
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 3:44 am

uh... here's the link:
http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~mortenj/fimland/boingers/
jonhatesyou
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 4:00 am

I still own a copy of the Outland half hour X-mas special "A Wish For Wings That Work". I think it aired in '89. It's pretty lame except for a few one liners like when Opus went to the support group for birds with small wings.
Chris O
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 9:33 am

if i remember this right, the Boingers flexi was supposed to be 33rpm but sounds better at 45.
CAL
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 5:08 pm

Even the Berkley Breathed children's novels are pretty good.
queenothetwist
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 8:10 pm

Oop Ack
CAL
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 8:50 pm

And by novel I mean stories with lots of pictures and very few words.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 8:51 pm

It seems like with Outland he was trying to make more of a Garfield/Peanuts kind of niche for himself...something that could sustain him for the rest of his life.

He talks about that in the intervue.

I like retardeness alot, when it's intelligent retardedness, like Outland.

The Opus that I read 2 weeks ago...was all about him day dreaming that he was in the Bahamas with a hot brunette in a bikini....then all of the sudden she asks him if she's wants more fish gizzards...and he realizes that he's hugging on his fat friend in the middle of the Antartic....and the subtitle reads, :"Where'd you think you'd be by now?"

It basically from what I can tell, like it's filled with alot of "Post 90's cynicism"....hard to believe, because the 90's were supposed to be so fuckin cynical....but that's probbably why culture stinks so bad right now...because now people are two cynical to even whine about it...and do stuff. 90's was a realy niave time, we thought we could change the world, yadda yadda.

Todd Trickknee
Posted: Dec 3, 2003 2:51 am

Krazy Kat was the best strip ever, ya' ninnies! Bloom County was cool, though I dunno about Outland (he seemed to need a break at that point). Looking forward to the new one.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 3, 2003 10:41 pm

I like how he wanted the same following as the Garfield strip has....so he invented this new character Bill The Cat, who's like this fat lazy cat, who walks around in his tighty whiteys coughin up hairballs and smokin crack.....why didn't Outland take off?
Jakey Stiff
Posted: Dec 3, 2003 10:44 pm

This is just an educated guess but perhaps the lack of success that Outland enjoyed was due to it sucking.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 3, 2003 10:54 pm

Okay, screw you intellectuals.

Jakey Stiff
Posted: Dec 3, 2003 11:20 pm

Oh sure. Post one of the better ones to difuse the debate.

Note that the only non-Bloom County character in that strip was the roach.

Wait. The roach was in bloom county!

NULL AND VOID.

tkrichards
Posted: Dec 4, 2003 4:42 am

I thought Calvin wrote some really cool songs while he was in Beat Happening but then he bought a drum machine and it all turn into serious faggotry.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 4, 2003 6:31 pm

That's why you're supposed to listen to The Beat Angels instead....rock.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®