Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Joey Ramone Place
Rev_Dan
Posted: Dec 1, 2003 3:25 am

Hey, y'all! I was at the street dedication service today for Joey and it was amazing! The turn out was great as well. They named 2nd Street on the corner of Bowery "Joey Ramone Place". Here's some pics. Enjoy...

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/devil_dog1313/lst?&.dir=/Joey+Ramone+Place+11_30&.src=ph&.begin=9999&.view=t&.order=&.done=http%3a//f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/devil_dog1313/lst%3f%26.dir=/Joey%2bRamone%2bPlace%2b11_30%26.src=ph%26.view=t
journeyfan007
Posted: Dec 1, 2003 5:06 am

Wow! Looks like Dick Hell and Legs McNeil have been takin' their vitamins...
Oh, and the whole street thing is cool, too.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 1, 2003 10:16 pm

Just wait untill people start building elaborate shrines out of whiskey bottles and dirty scag needles...and spray painting, "Joey's not Dead" in pink spraypaint on trees! It'll be punk as fuck...Joey Ramone Place trying to turn trick, Joey Ramone Place it's the one that never sticks.
Rev_Dan
Posted: Dec 1, 2003 11:50 pm

Shit. When Joe Strummer died, on the side of this one bar, they did a huge spraypaint memorial to him. It's on the side of the Niagra. I mean when he first died, they had a glossy 8x10 of Strummer and some candles goin' around it outside that bar. It was like that for a long ass time. I quit walkin' that directon and recently I went down there on my way to Manitoba's and there was that mural. I still can't figure out the Niagra and Joe Strummer connection. Anyone know???
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 12:01 am

Don't ask me how I know this shit...but Joe Stummer hosted some video shows on MTV from the Niagra once....and also he knew a bunch of people who hang out thier all the time....like the regulars.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 12:02 am

Like a bunch of fucks from D Generation dejay there....and there's a huge Joe Strummer following there...I mean come on, it's hip to be into the Clash.
razor a go go
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 12:19 am

jesse malin is pretty, like a tiny, less-rocking johnny whitmer.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 12:21 am

who the hell is Jesse Malin?
razor a go go
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 12:26 am

d generation singer, if that was what you were talking about. none if it is relevant, really.
Rev_Dan
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 12:29 am

SHIT! You're right!!! He's part owner of the bar!! Dammit! I forgot alllll about Jesse bein' part owner...... Damn, Dan, get yer head outta yer ass!!!
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 12:30 am

I never heard D Generation....did they put out some stuff on Tripple X at one time? I just remember that they were always next to some band I liked in record stores.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 12:32 am

I once new this kid who was into Crass, D Generation, and Skinny Puppy.....usually people get into that shit, like months after I've become estranged from them.
razor a go go
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 12:36 am

i've only heard a couple songs on comps and such, what little i've heard, i've liked well enough. i remember liking the finger 'we are fuck you' when it first came out. i think he is like ryan adams now. or some such.
razor a go go
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 12:37 am

i think anyone who says crass is their favorite band (crass patches) is lying. i think i have 1 record by them and it is really awful, only 1 listenable song. yes, you should give up friends like that.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 12:39 am

ech...Summer of 69 is god awfull.....I guess he made that Robin Hood movie thow..
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 12:40 am

P.S. I like Crass...and Chumbawumba.
schmatt
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 1:12 am

I played in a band that did Summer of 69 and it made chicks want to suck my dick.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 1:45 am

When, in 1985?
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 1:46 am

Women want to suck my dick when I country line dance to John Cougers, "Hurts So Good."....this is Kentucky.
Rev_Dan
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 2:10 am

Ryan Adams. Not the canadian. Ryan Adams was in the Finger with Malin. The Finger was pretty good. Ryan Adams was also in "Whiskeytown" the band on Lost Highway records and Bloodshot. But I'm gonna shut up now about my knowledge of Ryan Adams and Jesse Malin.
Jakey Stiff
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 2:26 am

Fuck it all. I like the first few Skinny Puppy albums. I'm a whore for cheapy analog synths and roland drum machines.

Jakey Stiff
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 2:26 am

Fuck it all. I like the first few Skinny Puppy albums. I'm a whore for cheapy analog synths and roland drum machines.

Jakey Stiff
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 2:30 am

Also, the fact that the fine people of the New England area have yet to errect a GG Allin Blvd. is without merit.
finnark
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 4:44 am

There's no reason to actually listen to the Crass. Just read the covers...
finnark
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 4:46 am

Oops, there's no "the" in Crass, is there?
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 9:00 pm

I like Crass and Bikini Kill and GOF.....it's not a matter of thier politics there politics all suck....it's just a matter of the music......Like I like realy minimalist and stark music....although Crass has such great drums, I find it hard to call it minimalist....

Comeon Baby NOw Flava Flav
Comeon Baby My Razor blade
Now he Cops are after me
BuG I'll prove that I'm no stinky.

The CEO
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 9:01 pm

Finish him.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 9:03 pm

Seriously like Crass' music is like the one thing about them that commands respect....thier politics are all contrived shit...anarchy's fuckin stupid.

The reason I never got into them was because thier fans were all into the shitty B.S. politics to much...and didn't even appreciate the music....if they're going to live on, it be based on the great merrit of the music.....but I guess you could keep thinking the White Stripes is like good minimalism.

Manzoni
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 9:42 pm

I once saw that guy from rolling stone magazine
with the tinted glasses and the bangs on a vh1
roundtable around 1993 say that D generation
was the next manic street preachers. that was
sure to get the kids into the stores.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 10:13 pm

I never got it...are they punk or are the goth or crust or techno or what....I think it was the dreads that threw me off.....but I can't say I've ever constiously heard any of thier songs....so my oppinion means nothing. I always just thought they had a stupid name.
joe danger
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 10:22 pm

i don't think crass should be written off entirely. the album 'penis envy' i thought was really cool. they were an important band. if it weren't for political bands, and political ideals, punk would be just like every other music related culture- drink/drug yourself stupid and identify with a sound. that's cool, but fucking people are dying every fucking day because of bullshit politics. doesn't that mean anything? is it uncool for rock and rollers to be affected?
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 10:30 pm

Rocknroll is folk music.....maybe we'd be into politics if we weren't too busy drinkin drugin and dying over stupid politics.

I don't realy have a problem with The Clash's politics.....I just don't give a fuck about 30 year old political issues.....I mean even like cultural rhetoric and dogma changes so much just in a decade....

Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 10:35 pm

Presentation has alot to do with political songs.

That's what was cool about the 60's...alot of the music was about political subjects, but the censors wouldn't have it, so they had to mask the meanings in folk references....that's why the music is still relevant today. It apply's to life.

Woodie Guthrie won't be remembered for his anti-fascist songs...but he will be remembered for "This Land Is Your Land", which is about as anti-fascist as it gets, without being overtly political.

fierydrunk
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 10:47 pm

Joe,
I know that was totally inadvertant but that would be "effected" as "affected" means they are poseurs which you are already know the answer to that...

BTW,You should know that reports are going around some "other circles of Portland" about how good Dark Skies were the other night!

joe danger
Posted: Dec 3, 2003 12:39 am

alienator- that's what they want you to think! "i don't give a fuck about 30 year old political issues"- fuck, man no one wants to remember 20 year old issues, but this is the fucking reagan/bush administration all over again. all that bullshit is relevent, because we are sending more troops every day, building back our deficit, cutting health care, losing domestic jobs...i love the irreverance of garage rock as much as anyone else, but shit is seriously fucked! as mc5 said, "i'm sick to death of the american ruse"
Jakey Stiff
Posted: Dec 3, 2003 1:14 am

MC5 where the biggest political posers of the 60s (at least their first lp). Nothing more than puppets spouting John Sinclair's cringe worthy white panther party blackface hippie vomit.

Crass is an example of a band i can't honestly give a fair listen due to the nature of their fanbase. Admittedly, Britney Spears is also subject to this ideal.

fierydrunk
Posted: Dec 3, 2003 1:18 am

History of Rock? You can get credit for this if you are a lib arts major at most major universities.

It may be hard to believe if you sucked on Capri Suns that your mommy put in your lunch in 1985, but that shit was actually just a lil meaningful at the time.

Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 3, 2003 1:20 am

MC5 weren't realy political...they formulated various political postures to get attention and add drama to thier already high octane stage presence.....John Sinclair was political, and most the band didn't even get along with John Sinclair, it was just a way to get attention.

Read that Berkely Breathed interview, and he'll tell you that George Bush is a seriously hard M.F.er to parody...I would have liked to have seen The Clash write a protest song about him in a new and interesting way....It's like, "Everyone knows the presidents a morron, what's your point?" I mean how can you rebel against Rush Limbaugh? He's to busy rebelling against 90's liberalism.........I'd like to hear music by people who aren't afraid to be themselves, who aren't relying on politics or culture or ancient subcultures to justify thier existence, and draw confidence from.

P.S. Does anybody know if Kathleen Hanna has a son, he should be about 10 or 12, or older......I just drew a bizzare correlation in my head....maybe i know her.

Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 3, 2003 1:24 am

The 60's was all about political posturing.....the political and new ageness of the MC5...was kind of like the down time between songs....kind of like, "Let's give them a second to let thier bodies cool down, and wow them in thier minds." It was entertainment it wasn't politics....and if it was try to discern what thier core beliefs were? It's pretty fuckin hard.....try to discern what the White Panthers core beliefs were....they even had a fuckin manifesto...and #5 was like Free Weed For Everyone or something like that.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 3, 2003 1:30 am

Hey, Jakey Stiff beat me to my point...
joe danger
Posted: Dec 3, 2003 2:24 am

the point isn't how political mc5 were, the point was it's cool when bands try to say something, try to at least acknowledge that there's more to music than shtick/novelty bullshit. cool hairdos and vintage amps are neat, but this isn't fucking grease, man- this is REAL FUCKING LIFE !!!
fierydrunk

While I have been too busy getting fucked up the last few weeks to pay attention to politics, I don't beleive that being concerned about the goings on of the world is a detriment to anyone and if you can write a good song about it, FANTASTIC.

Relying on politics to "justify" your band is quite another story.

Revisionist history of rock & roll is also very Kathleen Hanna, people. Ho hum. Some of you 80's babies are having a very easy time passing judgement on shit you probably never even indirectly experienced.

joe danger

ok, i'll stop now.
zyclon B
Posted: Dec 3, 2003 3:47 am

where's Dee Dee Ramone Avenue?!

-Alva Edison ...free.electricity...

Jakey Stiff
Posted: Dec 3, 2003 4:56 am

As opposed to the horrific strife babies of the 60s and 70s had to endure.

fierydrunk
Posted: Dec 3, 2003 5:41 am

Shut that...I have no complaints about my 1970's childhood, y'all are the ones who had the shitty snack foods.
joe danger
Posted: Dec 3, 2003 6:53 am

where else zyclon, 53rd and 3rd!
jenna
Posted: Dec 3, 2003 2:56 pm

Doctor Sardonicus, I mean, Chris Alienator, right?

anyway, d generation's song "no way out" fuckin' rocks.

Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 3, 2003 10:33 pm

I'm a 70's Baby.....Kathleen Hanna was totally political, alot of times in the worst fuckin way.....but that's not the point...the point is that the first 3 Bikini Kill albums sound like the fucking Female Misfits!

My point, is since when has politics been real life? I mean it's awesome when you think the political powers that be are in your, the common man's corner, but when is that ever the case? I mean realy.

Alot of Irish songs are about how shitty the English are, but they don't make any sense to us now, and they're fun to drink too.....they were written to vaguely, that you can't even tell they're political.....if your going to be a political band, at least be like Op.Ivy or some shit, and blur all the words so much that you don't know what the fuck they're saying, and just make the only true solution be "Skanking"...I just want to skank man! The singer of that band became a budhist monk for awhile, maybe still is, I mean if that gives you any sense of thier political leanings...they were more on the spiritual/eternal side.

Anyway I think D Generation totally suck.

Jakey Stiff
Posted: Dec 3, 2003 11:00 pm

You'll be happy to know that Jesse from OpIvy now makes songs about how white people suck while aping the sounds of early rocksteady and two-tone in his pale skin reggae outfit Common Rider.
joe danger
Posted: Dec 3, 2003 11:08 pm

well, white people do suck. and bikini kill never sounded like the misfits. x ray spex, at best.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 3, 2003 11:43 pm

The bass action and snappy refrains are pure Misfits...Think Bullet and Teenagers From Mars...even the production is very Misfits-esc.

I'm only familiar with the cd that contained Bikini Kills first 2 albums that didn't get widely distributed, and like thier 3rd one, 1st "real" album.....they're good.

Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 3, 2003 11:44 pm

I don't hear so much X Ray Specs, no stupid saxophone, and they don't got shitty, whinny vox.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 4, 2003 12:19 am

Now that I come to think about it, a majority of bands I listen too are political....but not like some shit like Minor Threat or Fugazi or not even Black Flag or whatever.....but like The Minutemen, they're political as shit, but alot of it is shit from their lives that people can still relate too on a day to day business.....like advertisers infringing on peoples right to choose, threw media influence and crap....I mean it's mainly the music, but if your going to deal with politics, make sure it's human politics......Like somebody should make a list of all the songs in the 80's about Ronald Reagan that don't realy mean shit now.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 4, 2003 12:20 am

basis...not "business".
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 4, 2003 12:24 am

Suicide for instance are political as shit and alot of people don't even realise it......they got more specific with every album, and started to suck more with every album.....Actually I've got to be on codeine or Kadomine just to sit threw some of the songs on thier first album...
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 4, 2003 12:27 am

Millions of Cops "Jon Wayne was a Nazi" now that's some political shit that people can still relate too generations from now.
Jakey Stiff
Posted: Dec 4, 2003 12:46 am

I don't consider stressing the seedy unbellies of modern man and society as political (like suicide did with Frankie Teardrop etc). I just consider it whining on tape.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 4, 2003 1:18 am

No but the song they did about starving Ethiopians was pretty political....

I'll find some lyrics of that first album and post them, "America America is Killing it's youth."

Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 4, 2003 1:31 am

What was I thinking, I can't find any suicide lyrics off the first album...but basically that song Che is about Che Gueverra....and yadda yadda...thier 2002 album was political as shit.

Actually I don't mind thier political music to much...it's like the Doors (who they copped most thier shit from) it's abstract enough that it's interesting.

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®