Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Sgt Pepper's lonely hearts club band - the movie
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 1:34 pm

What the fuck is on my television?
Why are the Beatles being portrayed by Frampton and the BeeGees?
Are record executives from LA really the devil?
I have to go to work, how does it end?
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 1:36 pm

What? What channel?
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 1:53 pm

The love stories network?!?!?!?!
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 2:00 pm

AND STEVE MARTIN!!!!!
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 2:24 pm

The love stories network

I don't have that. It sounds worse than Hallmark channel.
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 4:25 pm

i almost watched this last night but i made a wise decision and watched Manhattan instead
i forgot or never realized that Meryl Streep was at one time a crucial babe
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 7:07 pm

Great movie! Matty told me that it simultaneously killed Frampton's and the Bee Gees' careers. Story checks out.
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 7:10 pm

i actually saw Sgt Pepper's in the theater when it came out -- i remember hating everything about it except for steve martin and arrowsmith (i was prob in the 4th grade or so)
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 10:55 pm

You have to admit though that the Come Together scene with Steven Tyler trying to kill Frampton does work on some unintended level... not to mention the brown-shirt luck Aerosmith is sporting.
Posted: Mar 18, 2007 1:17 am

Robert Stigwood is the devil. He's the one to blame.
ANd goddammit.... i have such excellent DISH on this movie and all that transpired to make it happen when i was doing research for an HBO biopic on a heavy hitter of the music biz but i have this confidentiality agreement on it...so i can't tell you BUT....

if it makes you feel better....

everyone did it for the money and everyone hates it.
Posted: Mar 18, 2007 1:18 am

Well, thats reassuring. Kinda.
Posted: Mar 18, 2007 8:38 pm

I always liked how 3/4 of the songs in the movie aren't even on Sgt Pepper's album.
Posted: Mar 18, 2007 10:56 pm

But, Thersa K, Tyler really was trying to kill Frampton wasn't he?
Posted: Mar 18, 2007 11:59 pm

i have such excellent DISH on this movie and all that transpired to make it happen when i was doing research for an HBO biopic on a heavy hitter of the music biz but i have this confidentiality agreement on it...so i can't tell you BUT....
Tease!
Posted: Mar 19, 2007 5:46 am

(wikipedia)

Critical reaction

Janet Maslin of The New York Times wrote that the film's "musical numbers are strung together so mindlessly that the movie has the feel of an interminable variety show"; while it may have been "conceived in a spirit of merriment, ... watching it feels like playing shuffleboard at the absolute insistence of a bossy shipboard social director. When whimsy gets to be this overbearing, it simply isn't whimsy any more." She complimented Martin on his "completely unhinged rendition of "Maxwell's Silver Hammer," but pointed out that his scene is a "reminder that the film is otherwise humorless."

Perry Seibert of All Movie Guide called the film "quite possibly the silliest movie ever conceived," with a "handful of high camp moments" featuring Martin, Burns, and Aerosmith who "somehow transcend the jaw-dropping inanity that poisons the rest of the cast."

The critics panned this release and many of the performers in the film went on record saying they thought the movie was tripe, most notably, The Bee Gees, Peter Frampton and Aerosmith. The former Beatles also thought the film was terrible. Although Paul made a brief cameo during the reprise, he and George were famously outspoken on the movie. Besides the famous people associated with the project, many Beatle fans themselves thought the movie was a waste of time.
Posted: Mar 19, 2007 2:55 pm

I was late to work, cause I couldnt pull myself away from it. It was awesful or a rare level. The only movie that may top it is the apple, which I believe windy put a thread up about somewhere.
Posted: Mar 19, 2007 3:28 pm

You couldn't force me to listen to that horseshit record, let alone with Framption & the Bee Gees providing visuals.
Posted: Mar 19, 2007 4:05 pm

I think it was Maslin who famously described this movie as a \"business deal set to music.\"

A friend of mine wrote a funny piece a few years back about the film and the accompanying \"curse\" of the Sgt. Pepper movie.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/1998-07-23/music/pepper-spray/print
Posted: Mar 19, 2007 4:21 pm

When the movie originally came out I wrote a review for it in my intermediate school newspaper. I don't have a copy of it but I recall saying something like "I wasted my grass mowing money on this" and saying the projectionist should've done us all a favor and throw the film reels in the street instead of showing it. A freind of mine's sister said after reading it "I used to have a crush on you but after reading that not anymore. Frampton and the Bee Gees are the best."
Posted: Mar 19, 2007 4:43 pm

You couldn't force me to listen to that horseshit record, let alone with Framption & the Bee Gees providing visuals.

Yea, one of my least favorite Beatles albums
Posted: Mar 19, 2007 7:17 pm

I like pizza
Posted: Mar 19, 2007 7:29 pm

I like clubs
Posted: Mar 19, 2007 9:09 pm

We played this classic for "bad movie night" once.
Posted: Mar 19, 2007 9:32 pm | Edited by: saint sarah

I like kittens and puppies
Posted: Mar 19, 2007 11:15 pm

I made my kitten a pizza last night.
Posted: Mar 20, 2007 12:05 am

AND YOU DIDNT TAKE PHOTOS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Posted: Mar 20, 2007 12:33 am

I DIDN'T KNOW I'D NEED THEM!!!!!
Posted: Mar 20, 2007 7:21 pm

Has anyone ever seen 'All This and WWII'? I got the music from it from a friend--it's beatles covers done by an astonishing array of artists (Helen Reddy doing 'Fixing A Hole'--no shit!) and the music is all orchestrated and shit. But it's got some killer tracks. I heard from said friend that the movie is basically just footage of WWII/Nazis set to the music. And that it's apparently atrocious. I totally want to see it.
Posted: Mar 20, 2007 7:34 pm

Oops, that's actually 'Fool on the Hill' that Helen Reddy does. Unless it's actually Anne Murray. Whatever--there's two Leo Sayer cuts.
Posted: Mar 20, 2007 7:45 pm

I DIDN'T KNOW I'D NEED THEM!!!!!

DOCUMENTATION IS A MUST, OTHERWISE IT DID NOT HAPPEN?!?!??!?
Posted: Mar 21, 2007 7:34 am

Duh, cuz of thier perfect natural harmonies. It's like I'm the only one paying attention.
Posted: Mar 21, 2007 8:23 am

Is "Love American Style" on the Love Stories Network?
Posted: Apr 7, 2007 7:22 pm

Which is worse?

Modern rockers to record Sgt Pepper tribute

Oasis, The Killers and Kaiser Chiefs are to record their own versions of tracks from The Beatles' Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band to mark the legendary album's 40th anniversary.
The rock bands, alongside The Fratellis, Travis, Razorlight and James Morrison, are making cover versions for a special two-hour BBC radio program.

The famous album by the fab four includes such songs as A Day in the Life, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, When I'm Sixty-Four and With a Little Help from My Friends.
Geoff Emerick, the audio engineer who recorded the original album at Abbey Road studios in north London, will record the new versions using the very same four-track equipment.
"This will be not only a unique radio event, but a very special musical moment," said Lesley Douglas, controller of the BBC Radio 2 channel.
"The range and quality of artists involved ensure that this will be a fitting tribute to one of the great albums of all time."
Sgt Pepper was The Beatles' eighth album and was released on June 1, 1967.
The BBC anniversary broadcast airs on June 2.
- AFP

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200704/s1891896.htm
Posted: Apr 7, 2007 9:23 pm

can't explain frampton, but the bee gees were in there because of robert stigwood, who produced the movie and who managed the bee gees
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®