Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Bad Santa
Jughead
Posted: Nov 29, 2003 10:37 pm

Funniest movie of the year! 4 stars if not for the tacked-on ending.
lacey underwear
Posted: Dec 1, 2003 8:42 pm

The movie was very funny, but the "tacked-on ending" made it perfect in my opinion.
I'm glad it ended somewhat happily.I can't stand going to see a movie that loads you down with negativity and then gives you a totally depressing ending just for the sake of being "fucked up." At least the ending was funny and creative and not completely cheesy and unrealistic. The movie did too good of a job making you like these characters to just leave things unresolved within their lives. That would be an easy out.
The movie was a great, no bullshit film. I think it's okay if a movie ends happily or resolved as long as it's not contrived.
Andy Kaufman
Posted: Dec 1, 2003 10:01 pm

I thought it kinda sucked actually, though I hold Terry Zwigoff with just about the highest esteem that I hold any film director. Expectations were way too high for this one, just to be let down by a weak ass script and a fucking stupid (and obviously studio influenced) ending. apparently there was lots of inter-studio battling going on with Zwig and the producers on this one as to how they were gonna present this material and the script had half a dozen hacks working on it, which should have made me know better... Then again, I'd also heard the Coen's did some last minute ghostwriting on this one, but even they couldn't save this sinking ship. No real laughs in this one, just a couple of big smiles and a feeling like you really wish the screenwriters would get over their relatively pedestrian overuse of profanity and just take some of the sicker bits a few steps further. Hopefully Zwig will take the tons of cash he made with this one and make the sure to be way better "Art School Confidential"
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 1, 2003 10:04 pm

So let me get this straight...there's and helf and he's a midget black man? With a Fox attitude?

Like I gotta say it (I'm sold!).

Andy Kaufman
Posted: Dec 1, 2003 10:13 pm

let me elaborate a bit more.... if "fuckstick" and "assclown" and "you won't be able to shit right for a week" is the most cutting edge shit yer screenwriters can come up with, you have no business surrouning them with a fucking genuis like Terry Zwigoff. They should have got Dan Clowes to write this one with him, again.... then again, my guess is Terry did this one just for the $$$$
jenna
Posted: Dec 1, 2003 10:15 pm

i liked it enough--too many "fucks, " "fucked, "fuck yous" in it though to be funny after a while. I thought that blond curly, chubby boy was adorable.
Jakey Stiff
Posted: Dec 1, 2003 10:31 pm

It was decent. Nothing gut busting, but the ending damn near ruined it. They should have left santa in a pool of crimson and then the fat kid could have still issued vengence on his tormentors in memory of bad santa.
Womb Raider
Posted: Dec 1, 2003 10:40 pm

If I see one movie in the theaters this holiday season, it's going to be that one about the siamese twins.
Jakey Stiff
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 2:04 am

At least the comedic genius of John Ritter can cast one last gleaming mark upon the movie going public. He hasn't been this good since his turn as a homosexual in sling blade.
Mr Blvd
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 9:07 pm

the ending sucked..they should of had Billy Bob die....having him live was a copout.

overall it sucked, but it was somewhat funny.

Scott
Posted: Dec 2, 2003 11:25 pm

I just wanted to thank you guys for letting me know how it ended.
Jakey Stiff
Posted: Dec 3, 2003 12:50 am

No problem Honey Suckle.
chriscrunch
Posted: Dec 7, 2003 5:30 pm

we tried to see this last night, and a full-scale brawl broke out in the theater about 30 minutes in. happy holidays!
STARCHILD
Posted: Dec 8, 2003 8:04 am

I REALLY HAD TO LEAVE ABOUT TWENTY MINUTES INTO IT. IT WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER IF BILLY BOB PLAYED IT AS THE RETARDED 'SWITCHBLADE' GUY HE MADE FAMOUS. I RECKON. LOVE.
jenna
Posted: Dec 8, 2003 4:03 pm

criscrunch, if you were a nyorker (are you?) I would have said you were at the old worldwide. that place was brawl central.
chriscrunch
Posted: Dec 8, 2003 6:25 pm

hey jenna... yeah, i'm in queens (the action was at the midway theatre in forest hills). when's the ghetto ways thing on alien snatch coming out?
jenna
Posted: Dec 8, 2003 7:16 pm

chris, if you're in queens then you must go to the New Center Cinema--4217 Queens Blvd, Sunnyside. They have $4 matinees.

Ghetto Ways album on alien snatch is available starting now. Daniel just got the vinyl in. he's sending us our copies and we're going to have a record release show in january. hope you can make it.

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®